Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4165855 times)

Offline Jibby

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2005, 04:50:59 pm »
Dont see any point in going after Gatti myself like. What will it prove? Cotto, aye, go for it. But Gatti?

Nor do I but I was surprised to read this morning that Hatton vs Gatti was the most likely fight. I'll try and find the link for the article.

On another note, does anyone know if the Hopkins- Taylor fight is going to be on live over here? Or will we get it a week later like we got Lacy a few weeks ago
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly..."

"That was one crazy party. I am hung over."

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing! How 'bout we get you in your p.j."

Offline GILBERT

• Boys Pen
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2005, 08:42:43 pm »
PREDICTIONS

Hopkins V Taylor  - Taylor round 10

Harrison V Williams - Harrison round 7

Winky Wright V Soliman - Winky Wright round 4

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: November 28, 2005, 10:49:44 pm »
I think Gatti V Hatton could be a good fight thats hopen  gatti has something left in the tank,but a few defences off his title against good opposition is the norm then the bigger dogs.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2005, 02:07:44 am »
I dont really think Gatti has much left to be honest mate. Dont think its a good option for Hatton. If he doesnt do a job on Gatti the way Mayweather did, people will just say so what? Look what Mayweather done to Gatti. Cotto on the other hand would be a huge scalp for Ricky. Cotto then Mayweather. Then nobody could really argue about his status as a top fighter (I know some Yanks over there dont rate Hatton at all)
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: November 29, 2005, 08:03:18 pm »
All very true  it also has to be worring for ricky with those eyes,I believe he has a problem with cuts ?? A fighter like Mayweather could have a field day if he was to cut ricky. Would hate to see a fight like that decided on a decision  like that.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: November 30, 2005, 11:32:24 pm »
Hopkins/Taylor is on Sky Sports on Sunday morning, made up about that like :)

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #366 on: December 1, 2005, 10:28:13 am »
Yeah was reading that he may have to have plastic surgery again due to the cuts he got from Maussa.

Was thinking the same thing myself about a potential Mayweather fight.  If he cuts Hatton badly then that could well be the referee's decision made for him.  I would be absolutely gutted if the fight was stopped because of that.

Would have got called for it on satdee if he didnt have such a good cut man as Billy!!
 Works wonders that bloke!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Jibby

• Main Stander
« Reply #367 on: December 1, 2005, 11:16:23 am »
Hopkins/Taylor is on Sky Sports on Sunday morning, made up about that like :)

Any idea what time the fight is meant to start? I'm guessing around 4
"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly..."

"What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing! How 'bout we get you in your p.j."

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: December 1, 2005, 01:02:48 pm »
The cuts on Saturday were caused by a couple of head clashes weren't they?  Were they intentional?

:wave

Definetly intentional!! in the 3rd Maussa rubbed the palm of his gloves up against Rickys eyes to try and open the cuts more!!! very dirty tricks!!!!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #369 on: December 1, 2005, 01:11:23 pm »
Would have got called for it on satdee if he didnt have such a good cut man as Billy!!
 Works wonders that bloke!

Billy Graham is his trainer, he does work wonders but not on cuts! His cut man is a fella called Mick Williamson, believe it or not, he is a taxi driver from London and does it as a hobby! Only gets paid something like £200!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: December 1, 2005, 03:46:31 pm »
Aye Hattons cut man does a great job, Billy Graham said once he expects Ricky to get cut in every fight so it doesnt worry them that much.

Anyway, who does everyone have, Taylor or Hopkins? I think this should be a cracker! Part of me whats Hopkins to do him, he is one of my favourite fighters, deffo from the old school, a throwback to the days of Hagler etc. He just needs one mistake from Taylor and he'll be in. Another part of me thinks a Taylor win would be better for boxing, hes a young likeable bloke, looks very gifted times ive seen him and could carry the middleweight division for the next 10years. Would love to see the winner fight Winky anyway. But will they? Nobody wants a piece of Winky Wright!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: December 1, 2005, 04:47:52 pm »
If taylor wins yes i would like him and winky to go at it, but if hopkins wins i would prefer him to hang them up.As you siad alot off them are all avoiding winky but they can't hide forever.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: December 1, 2005, 10:44:41 pm »
So Sad how a man can go from this

To this

NEW YORK, April 26 - Ace photographer Teddy Blackburn, who receives the Boxing Writers Association of America's "Good Guy" award tonight, said "when you see Gerald for the first time, it will change the way you feel about boxing."

He's referring to Gerald McClellan, the former WBC middleweight champion who had his life altered permanently by a brutal bout with Nigel Benn in 1995. The Freeport, Illinois native is blind, nearly deaf, and can barely walk. And yes, seeing him for the first time does alter your perception of the sport sometimes referred to as the "Sweet Science".

There's nothing sweet about what happened to McClellan, no silver linings or happy endings. Lisa McClellan, Gerald's sister, said that in terms of her brother's health, "I think this is about it as far as any big progress." So he will never see his three children again, never hit a heavy bag with reckless abandon, or do roadwork in the morning.

And it can happen to any boxer.

"It's a wake up call," said middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins, who visited the G-Man in his hotel room yesterday. "I could be Gerald McClellan after any fight I fight."

McClellan, 34, arrived in New York yesterday evening with Lisa and his Aunt Lou after a 19-hour train ride from Freeport. It was the first time McClellan had been out of his hometown since he returned home after surgery for a subdural hematoma suffered in the Benn fight. The reason for the trip is to share the 'Good Guy' award with Blackburn, who humbly told Lisa after being notified, "I didn't come to see your brother and my friend to win an award. But since I did win, I want you both to come and share it with me. This is Gerald's day, not my day."

Says Lisa, "We were really excited for Teddy because he's been there, and he 's done so much to keep Gerald's name out there."

Unfortunately, McClellan's damaged brain has erased many of his memories, including those of his career, his fights, and his friends. After a little prodding, Gerald remembered Blackburn, who remembered the drill of tapping McClellan's hand once for yes and twice for no.

"Teddy," said McClellan, "You are a friendly man, a handsome man, and a helluva talent."

He then proceeded to drill Blackburn on not only his love life but also his weight. "Are you ashamed of your weight?" laughed Gerald, unable to see, but able to smile.

Just as suddenly, McClellan will yell out for Lisa, reaching out for someone to hold his right hand, a sign of security for Gerald, who ironically used his right hand to knock out most of his opponents.

Blackburn returns, and the two continue their conversation. It's a bittersweet time for the Michigan native who currently resides in the Bronx. "I make a living taking pictures of boxing and I love boxing, but when you see a friend, a fighter that you know, someone you've shot pool with and watched tapes with, and you see him with a vacant look and knowing that he might be in that chair for the next 30-40 years, blind and with faded memories, I say, 'what's wrong with me?'"

It's a question many of us have asked ourselves, but we still thrill to a good fight, appreciate a talented warrior, or even a gutsy kid who overachieves and gets one of those boxing rarities: a break. Most of all, after these conflicts of conscience we usually gain a greater appreciation for those who step into the ring.

And McClellan remembers that he was not only a fighter, but also a world champion. "Show the G-Man's moneymaker," said Lisa, and McClellan raises his right fist, which looks as imposing as it did when he was knocking out foes with very little effort in the early to mid 90's. "At times," says Lisa, "if he's talking to me, he'll talk as if he's retired, he's hurt, he's got brain damage, and he's blind. But if someone else talks to him about boxing, he talks like what happened seven years ago never happened. I think that's why he got upset at the train station because he doesn't like for anyone to say that he's not fighting anymore."

Light heavyweight champ Roy Jones Jr., one of the few in the boxing community to still support Gerald's trust fund, has never gone to see his amateur nemesis (McClellan owns a victory over Jones) because many believe HE won't fight again.

Hopkins, in town to receive the Fighter of The Year award, has wanted to see Gerald for some time, and the opportunity presented itself last night. Still his loquacious self, Hopkins did look visibly shaken after spending time with McClellan. "I'm angry because no one other than Roy Jones and some others have done anything for Gerald McClellan," said Hopkins. "Money's not always everything, but he needs help. I have a two and a half year old daughter. Who's going to take care of her if I end up like this?"

In watching McClellan and Hopkins interact, there's a selfish side that makes you wish that the G-Man was healthy so he could trade blows with the pride of Philadelphia. "He was a threat to everyone in the division," said "The Executioner", who was wary to give out any of his trade secrets.

"When you're sparring with these guys any of them show you something?" asked Gerald. "You hurt em?"

Hopkins answered yes and McClellan grabbed the champion's fist. "Put it on my chin."

"Not too hard, I don't want to put you to sleep," retorted Hopkins.

"You ever had a streetfight?" inquired McClellan.

"About 100,"

Once again, McClellan grabs Hopkins' hand and asks him to repeat after him while tapping his hand, "This guy sounds like me and him will get together and make some money."

McClellan smiles as the room erupts in laughter. He still looks the same as when he terrorized the middleweight division, and though he requires 24 hour a day care from his sisters, he still has fight left in him, as evidenced when he yelled, "I can wheel myself," when Lisa was trying to assist him into his hotel room.

Lisa and Sandra McClellan have been selfless in helping their brother, effectively putting their lives on hold for what may be forever. For Lisa, it's a labor of love. "I told someone the other day that I never give it a second thought," she said. "If I did give it a second thought then maybe I' d realize that I put my life on hold, and I'll think about the reality of it. But I don't even think about it."

Not that she has the time. Both sisters are raising children in addition to caring for Gerald, which has become a full-time job as well. "He's with Sandra from about 8 to 4, and she gets him out everyday," said Lisa. "And then he's at my house in the evening. We try to put him on the treadmill three days a week. Plus we have kids who are in sports so we've been going to track meets and baseball games, just to get him out."

Seeing his own children has also become a part of Gerald's routine. Gerald Jr. 13, and Forrest 12, are still in Freeport and being raised by their mothers, and Mandell 7, is being raised by her mother in Detroit. McClellan sees Forrest every day, and Gerald Jr. on the average of once every couple of weeks.

Another visitor, Blackburn, may come to Freeport less frequently, but is nonetheless still affected by the condition of his friend. "I waited over two years to go visit him," he remembers. "It took me a long time to get the guts to go see him because I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. I was knocked out myself. I held his hand for three hours, once for yes, and twice for no. It was hard to see him."

Blackburn's reason for keeping Gerald's name in the public eye is also fairly straightforward. "He's a friend, and I felt bad that everybody forgot him."

In spurts, public awareness of McClellan's plight has helped keep the trust fund used for his care afloat, with a CNNSI feature on him last year being the most obvious aid. "A lot came in, not just money, but cards from the CNN story," said Lisa. "It picked up quite a bit, but has died down a little now. We get maybe four or five pieces of mail a week."

Lisa admits, "We do what we have to do," to care for Gerald, and despite her brother's injuries, "I still love boxing."

But don't cross her, as she remains fiercely protective of her brother, like any good sister would be. "The reason why I'm so fond of people like Teddy is because they haven't just jumped on the bandwagon after seven years," she said. "What's important to me is who's been there and who's still there, not somebody who is in today and out tomorrow."

The fair-weather friends have come and gone, and Gerald McClellan will never have the life he dreamed about when he was on top of the middleweight division. The life he lives now is far removed from anything that we could ever imagine living. But he does live it, along with his family and friends. Oh, Teddy was right; after seeing Gerald I will never look at a fight or fighter the same way again, but that may be a good thing. Because maybe after more people in the industry see Gerald they too will feel the same way, and reforms can be enacted to care for fighters once their careers are over.

It would be a legacy to be proud of.

Send Contributions for Gerald McClellan to:
Gerald McClellan Estate
Fifth Third Bank
PO Box 660
Freeport, IL 61032

=====================

McClellan was a monster of a fighter, cant help but think what could of been had he knocked out Benn in that first round in 95. I was at that fight, in that first round he was simply awesome. I was only a young kid at the time, but ill never forget him smashing Benn out of the ring the way he did. That was the best fight ive ever seen.
Just a terrible tragedy at what happened to the "G man" after it.  When I first started working full time I gave a weeks wages to the fund for him. He really could of been an all time great. Not jsut saying it either because of the way he is now. He was that good. Heard a lot about what kind of person he was before that Benn fight, not very nice at all. But nobody deserves to end up the way he has.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: December 2, 2005, 08:58:29 am »
What a left hook!  Fucking class.

;D Wasn't it just, watch it in slow mo, he rises from the floor, that was some punch.

McClellan was a monster of a fighter, cant help but think what could of been had he knocked out Benn in that first round in 95. I was at that fight, in that first round he was simply awesome. I was only a young kid at the time, but ill never forget him smashing Benn out of the ring the way he did. That was the best fight ive ever seen.
Just a terrible tragedy at what happened to the "G man" after it.  When I first started working full time I gave a weeks wages to the fund for him. He really could of been an all time great. Not jsut saying it either because of the way he is now. He was that good. Heard a lot about what kind of person he was before that Benn fight, not very nice at all. But nobody deserves to end up the way he has.

Fucking hell lad well in. Classic of a fight, got it here to watch again, might just do it tonight

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: December 2, 2005, 12:40:11 pm »
How the fuck did Maussa ever win a belt. He's shite.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: December 2, 2005, 02:21:50 pm »

Maussa is deffo one of the most horrible boxers I've ever seen in terms of technique, it's so fucking poor.  Must be so frustrating to fight someone like that.

Deffo mate, hes a ugly fighter to watch.

So Hatton has the IBF and WBA is it? Who has the WBC? Mayweather?

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: December 2, 2005, 02:40:55 pm »
Maussa is deffo one of the most horrible boxers I've ever seen in terms of technique, it's so fucking poor.  Must be so frustrating to fight someone like that.

Spot on. If he didn't have the half decent reach that he has he'd be shite.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Jibby

• Main Stander
« Reply #377 on: December 2, 2005, 02:52:36 pm »
Maussa is so bad technically that it almost makes him a good fighter because he is just so frustrating and awkward to fight against!!!
« Last Edit: December 2, 2005, 02:56:34 pm by Jibby »

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #378 on: December 2, 2005, 09:34:15 pm »
If all was fair, Ricky Hatton would be crowned Sports Personality Of The Year by the British public and be receiving plaudits all over the place. However, because Cricket is this year's sportthatpeopledon'tusuallygiveatossaboutbutlikenowbecauseIng-Gur-Landare(were! they're shit again now!)doingwell, that tiresome Flintoff character will win it.

In a way, it's a bit of a shame that Hatton broke away from Warren when he did, he could've been our most popular boxer since Frank Bruno if he received terrestrial exposure.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: December 3, 2005, 08:29:09 am »
If all was fair, Ricky Hatton would be crowned Sports Personality Of The Year by the British public and be receiving plaudits all over the place. However, because Cricket is this year's sportthatpeopledon'tusuallygiveatossaboutbutlikenowbecauseIng-Gur-Landare(were! they're shit again now!)doingwell, that tiresome Flintoff character will win it.

In a way, it's a bit of a shame that Hatton broke away from Warren when he did, he could've been our most popular boxer since Frank Bruno if he received terrestrial exposure.

Breaking away from Warren when he did was the best thing he could have done. Warren is a snake. Terrestrial channels and Sky are still very interested in showing Hatton fights through Fight Academy. Dennis Hobson got Carlos Maussa to have his first defence of his world title against Hatton, that would have took Warren a lot longer simply because Dennis Hobson took a loss getting Hatton the fight so Maussa could have a bigger purse where as wibbering Warren would have been interested in lining his own pockets first.

He is a c*nt.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: December 3, 2005, 10:04:09 am »
Oh, I agree in that many respects he made the right move in getting rid of Warren, who clearly can be a bit of a c*nt.

I was just saying that it's a shame in the sense that it happened just as Warren moved to terrestrial TV - Had Ricky fought on ITV earlier, he'd be one of Britain's top 5 most popular sportsmen now.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: December 3, 2005, 01:41:53 pm »
Oh, I agree in that many respects he made the right move in getting rid of Warren, who clearly can be a bit of a c*nt.

I was just saying that it's a shame in the sense that it happened just as Warren moved to terrestrial TV - Had Ricky fought on ITV earlier, he'd be one of Britain's top 5 most popular sportsmen now.

Agree with that mate, Ricky should win that sports personality thing. Hes a genuine world class fighter, and hes ours. We dont produce that many proper World Class fighters, people may say Lennox Lewis, but how many of the British public really took to him? Hatton is the real deal, cracking lad as well. How the hell a cricketer can win anything to do with SPORTS is beyond me. A load of muppets throwing a ball and whacking it with a lump of wood. Wow, hard work!

As For Fwank Warren, id of paid good money to see Tyson bitch slap him around that hotel room 6times in Scotland. It happened, even though Fwank denies it. Read an interview with him in the mirror and he says he would of hit Tyson over the head with a lump of wood if he hit him. Of course you would Fwank, of course you would. Ive got personal problems with the man, i really dont like him at all. Acts like hes done the boxing world a favour, when he talks about how he made Ricky Hatton, Naz, put on all these great fights but forgets to tell you hes paid millions to do it without having to take a punch!
« Last Edit: December 3, 2005, 02:49:50 pm by Mirra »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: December 3, 2005, 02:56:15 pm »
JPromoter Gary Shaw has informed Maxboxing that the third bout between Jose Luis Castillo and Diego Corrales has been set for February 4th in Texas.

An exact venue has not be chosen. The fight will be televised on Showtime.

In their first meeting in May, Corrales would get off the canvas twice to stop Castillo in ten rounds, in what is considered one of the best fights of all-time. In October, Castillo would exact revenge by stopping Corrales in four rounds with a devastating left hook.
  =============

Great news, cant wait for that

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: December 4, 2005, 10:51:54 am »
A bit of a poor fight between Taylor and Hopkins, to be honest. Hopkins is almost 41 and Taylor is nothing special - In fact, I've not seen anyone hug and hold as much since John Ruiz in his pomp!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: December 4, 2005, 02:15:44 pm »
Aye mate I agree, I had Hopkins as the winner tho, same as Jim Watt. Taylor isnt a bad fighter, just a clash of styles. Hes got a hell of a lot to learn though. Hopkins gave it away in the early rounds, waiting for Taylor to move so he could counter. With a bit experience Taylor could of doubled up on the Jab like you do with counter punchers, hopefully catch them with one.

B Hop will still go down as a legend, one of the best middleweights of all time, but who does everyone have down as the top 5 middleweights of all time? For me its

1. Carlos Monzon
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Ray Robinson (Though he was better at lighterweights
4. Bernard Hopkins (10 years, 20 defences speaks for itsself)
5. Harry Greb

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: December 4, 2005, 04:13:34 pm »
Agree taylor is nothing spiceal he is only holden on to the belts for winky,although Hopkins is an awarked guy to fight.

Offline MrEcho

• Anny Roader
  • Destroy all nations
« Reply #386 on: December 4, 2005, 07:18:13 pm »
taylors a good figther wiv very fast hands. The only reason him v b-hop was so dull was because they are just incompatible for an exciting fights they both need someone coming forward to them.
The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: December 4, 2005, 10:16:10 pm »
Got my ticket ready for Saturday,
 will take my digi cam and report back with pics! gonna b a quality evening,
 cant wait to see Mitchell, hes gonna b world class
 Bill Shankly

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #388 on: December 5, 2005, 11:16:34 am »
It looks like there is no more room for classy technical boxing. Hopkins will go down as one of the greatest ever no doubt in my book. Reckon Jim Watt got it spot on. I guess we just see the fight differently. Anyone can reward effort and I think that is what happened. No doubt Hopkins was the classier fighter and to me at least it showed.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: December 5, 2005, 04:56:27 pm »
They did the same to Hagler tho didnt they over there, Dominant champion, nobody could beat him. So they robbed him against Sugar Ray Leonard. Got rid of him that way.

A lot of Americans dont seem to like Hopkins, i think hes great. Done things his way, reached the top his way and what an amazing bloke it would take to do that after the life he had before boxing. Looked destined to be a convict forever didnt he? I'll remember B Hop as one of the best middleweights of all time.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: December 5, 2005, 05:17:55 pm »
All well and good Mirra but he didn;t really set the fight alight, A few rounds that were devided did go taylors way but as the champion you get them (all be it hopkins didn't get them the first fight)Taylor probably was less agressive in this fight also  but what was expected hopkins coming out and being more agressive from the start never happened.Truthfully i don't wanna see a third fight either,taylor has to take on winky to prove he is worthy (well to me anyway) as for hopkins maybe move up a weight if he doesn't retire.Hope he does the latter as he has nothing to prove ,everyone knows who won the first fight

Offline MrEcho

• Anny Roader
  • Destroy all nations
« Reply #391 on: December 7, 2005, 04:55:36 pm »
Harrison v Williams. Whats everyone reckon.

I think Harrison in eight. Williams will have success early on but harrison will wear him out with hie superior technique and reach. Colud turn into a messy fight if williams gets his way and holds alot tho..

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: December 7, 2005, 09:40:32 pm »
It will be a messy fight mate, Heavyweight fights normally are. Im looking forward to it for some reason though, dont know why! I dont really rate Danny Williams at all. He beat a shot Mike Tyson, got hammered by Klitchko and that fight really showed how far Danny is from being a world class fighter. He was awful, brave, but awful. No head movement at all, was out of shape. Too Slow, couldnt get near Klitchko who just kept his jab in his face all night and pounded him as he pleased. If Audrey is any kind of fighter, thats what he will do.

Harrison though, I dont know what to make of him, really. He struggled with Julius Francis, who was well past his best! Even at his best he wasnt that good. He doesnt seem to have much power, decent boxing skills for a heavyweight, but if he was in the lower weights they'd be looked at as very average. He talks a good fight as always. This time though we'll find out a lot about him, can he take a punch? Has he got a fighting heart? The blokes hes fought so far have been nothing but glorified punch bags. If Williams goes in there with the right mentality he could blast him out.

I think im going to go with Williams though, purely because of his power. If Danny can catch him, its game over.

Offline MrEcho

• Anny Roader
  • Destroy all nations
« Reply #393 on: December 8, 2005, 07:54:08 pm »
Some good points there mate but you just have to wonder whether Williams has the heart after his Royale whupping with cheese against vitali.

To be fair everyone who knows boxing will see Harrsion as the better boxer but its just a case of whether Williams will allow him to box or will Harrison be drawn into a war he can't win.

I reckon Williams will have success early on trying to get Harrison into a war but as the fight goes on, if it reaches the late round, Harrison will out think and out class him. Plus I WANT Harrison to win because he does actually  have the tools to win a world title in this bog standard division.. whereas Williams doesn't.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: December 8, 2005, 08:17:03 pm »
Some good points there mate but you just have to wonder whether Williams has the heart after his Royale whupping with cheese against vitali.

To be fair everyone who knows boxing will see Harrsion as the better boxer but its just a case of whether Williams will allow him to box or will Harrison be drawn into a war he can't win.

I reckon Williams will have success early on trying to get Harrison into a war but as the fight goes on, if it reaches the late round, Harrison will out think and out class him. Plus I WANT Harrison to win because he does actually  have the tools to win a world title in this bog standard division.. whereas Williams doesn't.

Can't make my mind up. They're both shite. Much rather watch Khan or Mitchell

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2005, 03:17:24 pm »
Williams has came in far too heavy, 19stone 6 (272lbs) Jesus. Hes going to find the pace very very hard. But if he lands one on Harrisons Chin it'll be fun and games. Dont think he'll be able to take it.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2005, 09:19:16 pm »
well thorpe proved a real test for khan  ;)

and the fact that they are talking about danny fucking williams or audley the gob harrison for a world title shot
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #397 on: December 10, 2005, 09:20:02 pm »
Khan's just twatted that thorpe who I thought was a dirty little fighter.

Elbowed khan quite badly.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: December 10, 2005, 09:24:01 pm »
thats the 1st of his pro fights i have seen, he has filled out a shitload and that speed is ridiculous, does anyone know if Carl Froch won his last fight?
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2005, 12:39:41 am »
Thought the Williams/Harrison fight was a terrible fight. Just goes to show how crap the heavyweight division is these days when you have people talking about either getting a title shot. Williams, I like him. Nice bloke, but world heavyweight champion? Fucking hell! He could of knocked Harrison out cold when he floored him with that wild shot late on but didnt have the stamina for it. Harrison had the same problem in the round after he got floored. Would anyone seriously stay up lateor pay money to watch either of these men fight for the world title? I know I wouldnt! Im glad Williams won, not a Harrison fan at all. Always knew he didnt have the stomach for a real fight, he went 19fights without really having a proper one. The gravy train has been derailed. Hes done. Finally!

When people say to me Heavyweight Champion, I think of people like Muhammed Ali, a man who you were proud to call Champ. Or growing up with Tyson as champion, I want the heavyweight champ to come out to music like Welcome to the  Terror Dome by Public Enemy, oozing menace and scaring the shit out of the other bloke he is fighting, I want him to show me power that would knock down a brick wall, that killer instinct, then when he batters his opponent inside a couple of rounds I want to see him snarl at the camera in the post match interview and tell everyone hes the best and ask who's next. The division needs this man to step forward, but where the hell is he?

Tonight all I seen were two very big (and unfit in my opinion) men, remake that scene in Max & Paddy when Paddy was teaching Peter Kay to dance, (Dirty Dancing). Neither really wanted it bad enough, neither had any class, there was no style to it. Many look forward to seeing Heavyweights fight, Im not one of them. Too big, too slow, too heavy. Should have a weight limit i think for them.
Rant over ;D

Khan did well tonight like, didnt see Mitchells fight though, did he win?