21 (6.5%)
Labour
70 (21.8%)
GP
11 (3.4%)
Ind/Others
77 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 321

Author Topic: The Irish Politics Thread.  (Read 465056 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2010, 12:43:24 am »
Enda got a vote.... wahey!

And the Greens have 3 Jesus h. Budda.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2010, 12:44:43 am »
we used to be good at uprisings. maybe its best left to the youngsters.

The country needs a Nationalist party.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2010, 12:46:07 am »
The country needs a Nationalist party.

Left or Right wing?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2010, 12:48:07 am »
Left or Right wing?

I think you know my preference mate!
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2010, 12:48:50 am »
I think you know my preference mate!

Again just jesting mate. Centre it is.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline -Gianni-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2010, 12:49:21 am »
Again just jesting mate. Centre it is.

;D

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:16 am »
You could be waiting a while for the youngsters to fix things. The majority of the ones with academic qualifications dont want to still be residents here once they enter the workforce after college. This country has rotted from the head down, and most of them (including me) want out of this country once they get thier respective qualifications

Then you have the youngsters who aren't well educated. They are the ones who are happy to stay, The thing is though, they also want a weekly dole cheque, and they dont really have much of a work ethic. If you're relying on them to sort things, then you're quiet frankly beyond reality. There will always be exceptions to the rule, there will always be a few who will try, but they are sadly a minority

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2010, 09:16:37 am »
why would anyone vote Green, at best they're just FF's bitches
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2010, 09:05:11 pm »
why would anyone vote Green, at best they're just FF's bitches

And Enda now has 2 votes!!!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2010, 11:38:08 pm »
You could be waiting a while for the youngsters to fix things. The majority of the ones with academic qualifications dont want to still be residents here once they enter the workforce after college. This country has rotted from the head down, and most of them (including me) want out of this country once they get thier respective qualifications

Then you have the youngsters who aren't well educated. They are the ones who are happy to stay, The thing is though, they also want a weekly dole cheque, and they dont really have much of a work ethic. If you're relying on them to sort things, then you're quiet frankly beyond reality. There will always be exceptions to the rule, there will always be a few who will try, but they are sadly a minority

The thing is Bill the Status Quo is happy with this situation. Why encourage what could change the landscape that keeps them where they are?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »
The Green Party Senator Deidre De Burca has resigned her Seanad Seat saying that her Party is been run by FF and have lost their way. Interesting stuff especially with the Greens in Government with FF.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »
The Green Party Senator Deidre De Burca has resigned her Seanad Seat saying that her Party is been run by FF and have lost their way. Interesting stuff especially with the Greens in Government with FF.

Dan Boyle said today on Newstalk that the Greens were the country's most democratic party whatever that's supposed to mean. Also in news related to Newstalk Richard Bruton was photographed having a sneak peak at a UK rear of the year contestants in one of the rags before he went on "The Last Word" Yesterday, massive news.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2010, 05:01:54 pm »
Dan Boyle said today on Newstalk that the Greens were the country's most democratic party whatever that's supposed to mean.

Very, very strange bunch the Greens.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2010, 06:13:10 pm »
For those interested Gerry Adams is on The Late Late Show tonight. Could be interesting to hear about what went on in the policing talks and the story behind his brother Liam.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2010, 12:53:56 am »
Ryan Turbity came across as a very niave interviewer tonight. On that particular point, not everyone who dressed in a black beret was a member of the IRA. Over the years I have attended funerals for people who have been in the IRA, and who have had Republican funerals, where a colour party attended in "IRA uniform" if you like i.e. white shirt, black tie, black beret etc and they were never members of the IRA. It is a mark of respect.

That said, I do think if Gerry Adams was, but obviously over the years because admitting membership of the IRA was a criminal offence and would have caused outcry if he wasn't arrested, he never admitted to it. Having done that for years, to admit afterwards, would have had him castigated for hypocrisy. He really couldn't win. Personally, he should have done the Martin McGuiness routine and said he was once but not any more a long time ago, and that would have killed that line of questioning stone dead.

On the interview itself, when the abuse section was discussed, I honestly believe he should have shown more humility. He did let his niece down and should have admitted it. However, he does have a point about the media attention and the way media attention is being abusive both to victims and people around them, purely to serve their own political agenda. In one case I am personally aware of, Suzanne Breen is intending on printing a story which she has heard second hand from a family member of a person who was abused, despite the fact that the abused person has spoken to her to asked her not to write the story. Breen has told her that she doesnt care what the victim wants, she has a story and doesnt need her permission to run with it. The person in question has made a life for herself away from the North and just wants to put the whole thing behind her. So, lets not all congratulate Suzanne Breen on her journalism just yet.

In the second part of the interview, Adams won the crowd over when he threw the "wasn't your Grand-daddy in the RA too Ryan"... to if you noticed it, a pretty big round of applause. Once Tubs heard that, he knew he couldn't win that argument and jumped away from it pretty easy.

Overall an interesting interview but nothing new.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2010, 01:23:52 am »
Didn't see the interview, Sarge and you mentioned the "abuse" thing regarding Gerry Adams.
What was that about?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2010, 01:30:48 am »
Didn't see the interview, Sarge and you mentioned the "abuse" thing regarding Gerry Adams.
What was that about?

His brother and his Dad Terry. A long fucking story mate your better off googling it but take the paper talk (as if i need to tell you with a pince of salt).
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2010, 01:50:08 am »
His brother and his Dad Terry. A long fucking story mate your better off googling it but take the paper talk (as if i need to tell you with a pince of salt).
If it's the one I've just read, then Jesus Christ.. :o

Cheers, Robbie.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2010, 09:26:16 am »
If it's the one I've just read, then Jesus Christ.. :o

Cheers, Robbie.

Crazy stuff indeed and the papers over here have been a bit of a disgrace Terry. Political agenda and all. Not saying the abuse was right mind but last night Adams could only speak so much due to the pending court case.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:28:50 am by Sarge »
Y.N.W.A.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2010, 09:27:41 am »
That said, I do think if Gerry Adams was, but obviously over the years because admitting membership of the IRA was a criminal offence and would have caused outcry if he wasn't arrested, he never admitted to it. Having done that for years, to admit afterwards, would have had him castigated for hypocrisy. He really couldn't win. Personally, he should have done the Martin McGuiness routine and said he was once but not any more a long time ago, and that would have killed that line of questioning stone dead.

Didn't they only leave the Army Council five years ago?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2010, 09:29:18 am »
Didn't they only leave the Army Council five years ago?

Not sure?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2010, 09:36:08 am »
good morning Sarge.. ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2010, 09:39:26 am »
good morning Sarge.. ;D

Morning mate did you sleep well?

;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2010, 09:42:01 am »
Morning mate did you sleep well?

;D
not at all, had a few Guinness last night in Bray, was up for work this mornin at 5.45am... not liking this slog one bit!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2010, 09:44:53 am »
not at all, had a few Guinness last night in Bray, was up for work this mornin at 5.45am... not liking this slog one bit!

OUCH!!! Just up a bit now with the kids so chilling out now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2010, 07:18:25 am »
see the latest in the INDO today?

A conclusion i would share for the most part, that the parties and structure need to be ripped up,
and our government needs to work together as a team somewhat to get us out of this mess.

No faith in leadership, politics or banks: poll
Majority would support all-party government for duration of crisis

A large majority of the electorate believe there should be a national all-party government for the duration of the economic crisis, according to a Sunday Independent/ Millward Brown Lansdowne opinion poll.

The finding that 62 per cent want a national government is one of several in the nationwide poll, which highlights the intense frustration of people at the crippling effects of the crisis and the perceived inability of the current political system to deal with it.

In what amounts to a startling wake-up call to all politicians, a majority of declared supporters of each of the main parties believe such a government is now necessary.

When the headline finding is broken down, it reveals that supporters of Fianna Fail (66 per cent), Fine Gael (56 per cent), Labour (64 per cent), Greens (50 per cent) and Sinn Fein (64 per cent) want a national all-party government.

The body politic last week convulsed itself with the resignations of Fine Gael TD George Lee, and the relatively unknown Deirdre de Burca as a Green Party senator.

But our opinion poll clearly shows that such events had little or no impact on the lives of ordinary people who are continuing to struggle to cope as the economic crisis enters into a third year.

In fact, the poll starkly illustrates that events last week only served to heighten the distrust of the electorate towards the establishment as represented by politicians and the financial institutions.

A massive 58 per cent are "not at all satisfied", and 21 per cent are "not very satisfied" with the way in which the Government is handling the banking crisis; just 12 per cent have expressed any form of satisfaction.

An overwhelming 91 per cent want criminal prosecutions pursued against those in the banking sector found to have been in breach of the law, precisely the same finding as a year ago when the same question was asked in the last such poll.

The public is obviously dissatisfied that no such action has been taken against bankers in that year, despite the instigation of a number of investigations by various authorities.

It is this sense of drift in the midst of the economic crisis which is exercising the electorate, who seem to be critical of the length of time it is taking not to resolve anything.

The deep level of frustration among the public is also evident in other findings in our poll, to the extent that scepticism, if not downright cynicism, seems to be now embedded in the minds of the electorate.

A majority 54 per cent do not believe that the setting up of Nama will free up lending from the banks to businesses and the general public; only 23 per cent believe it will; and 23 per cent say they do not know.

Asked what they thought should be done with the banks, a significant minority, 38 per cent, said they should be left to fend for themselves even if that meant some did not survive -- a measure which all of the political parties have set themselves against; 27 per cent felt they should be fully nationalised and 26 per cent, or only a quarter of those polled, said they should be given continuous Government financial support, but not nationalised.

In the Sunday Independent today, Roger Jupp, chairman of Millward Brown Lansdowne, has interpreted the results of the opinion poll as an indictment of the body politic and the establishment in general.

He writes: "The results from this week's national opinion poll reveal a deeply troubled electorate, whose fundamental attitudes have been quite consistent over a year of economic turmoil.

"The underlying mood of the nation has not been hugely ruffled by the flying feathers of George Lee and its effect on Enda Kenny. It remains in a very wary and distrustful state, aching for change -- any change, as long as it is for the better.

"We know from recent research that the Irish people have never been as unhappy about authority, in its many guises. We express a lower level of trust in government in general, politicians and businesses, especially financial institutions, than virtually any other country in Europe.

"We are fed up with the barrage of negativity and simply wish that the heavy hand of financial pressure would loosen its grip on us."

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2010, 04:25:45 pm »
To many ego's and people looking for Politcal gain to be made including more importantly Political differencs in the Dail.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2010, 06:40:47 pm »
Very, very strange bunch the Greens.

Fianna Fail's condom atm. Protecting them while they fuck the country
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »
Fianna Fail's condom atm. Protecting them while they fuck the country

;D Quite true and part of the reason this Dail will go full term because the Greens know they are fucked if they go near the Nation in the polls. FF have gone up in two successive polls now and the Greens have died a death all to familiar of the PD's in Government with FF.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »
To many ego's and people looking for Politcal gain to be made including more importantly Political differencs in the Dail.
we need to be able to seperate politicians from people/institutions that can influence them,
politicians need to have less power... I know people harp on about how politicians are accountable and answerable to the public, but in fairness when does this happen? its only really the media they are answerable to, as people dont get to air their views.. and even if we do, its just swiped away...

In my view :

10 years ago - i was baffled why the government wasnt implementing the next stage of attracting and keeping investors. We did so much to attract multinationals, and it was clearly obvious we were beginning to prive ourselves out of value to them..

2-5 years ago - i was baffled that there were so many appartments being built, There was a surplus of appartments available, and yet all influential builders were getting planning permission to build more appartments...

currently - im baffled that the government isnt doing anything to stimulate growth, or to improve the economy, all im seeing are actions taking to pay back debt, which will only serve to stifle the economy.

ill elaborate a little more on the current issue..

1. Entrepreneurs are given no support to create new businesses
2. the dole queue is allowed to build and build, it seems like we are paying so much more taxes, but the government has a big hole in its pocket, so all this increased money goes to the social. if there are no jobs, create something for people to do, even small projects, improve communities, but sitting at home and earning a wad load of cash is crazy for a country trying to recover.
3. maybe we could loosen the visa restrictions. we accept 8-9million tourists visit per year, and about 95% of these are from mainland Europe, USA and Canada. There was a review in the news today about Ireland proving to be very unattractive for tourists, as there is so much paper work to get a visa. i read something similar a few days ago about Chinese and Indians not really bothering as the effort is so great to get in. why do we prevent so many people bringing foreign investment in? maybe we could go from 8mil tourists to 12mil per year?
I have a tonne of research on the money they spend, and so forth from a business plan i have been working on.. and its fair to say that we are losing a lot of money...

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »

:wave
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »

:wave
you would know alright in your current position..

I was talking to some english business people, and their Gov is guaranteeing their loans with the banks to 1mil.. im not sure if its industry specific, and im not sure if its related to the fact that RBS is 80% Gov owned, and others are partly owned, in that respect even if the businesses fail, the Gov recoup most of the money i suppose..

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2010, 07:24:43 pm »
you would know alright in your current position..

I was talking to some english business people, and their Gov is guaranteeing their loans with the banks to 1mil.. im not sure if its industry specific, and im not sure if its related to the fact that RBS is 80% Gov owned, and others are partly owned, in that respect even if the businesses fail, the Gov recoup most of the money i suppose..

I think your right.

She the latest poll today.

new opinion poll shows that despite the controversy over George Lee's resignation from Fine Gael, the party has widened its lead over Fianna Fáil.

The Millward Brown IMS poll in today's Irish Independent also shows that just 10% of voters are satisfied with the Government's performance.

Fianna Fáil support is up two to 27% and Fine Gael is up by four points to 34%.

Labour and the Greens both drop three points to 19% and 2% respectively, while Sinn Féin gains one to 8% and Independents are unchanged at 10%.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2010, 07:30:14 pm »
I think your right.

She the latest poll today.

new opinion poll shows that despite the controversy over George Lee's resignation from Fine Gael, the party has widened its lead over Fianna Fáil.

The Millward Brown IMS poll in today's Irish Independent also shows that just 10% of voters are satisfied with the Government's performance.

Fianna Fáil support is up two to 27% and Fine Gael is up by four points to 34%.

Labour and the Greens both drop three points to 19% and 2% respectively, while Sinn Féin gains one to 8% and Independents are unchanged at 10%.

dont lose sight of the percentage of voters within those figures you gave that are unsatisfied with the party they have voted for...

i think it was 68 or 58% were unhappy with FF's performance, 91% wanted the Bankers held responsible and sent to jail where appropriate (same figure as last year). there was a tonne of info in there that tells the government that they are not wanted.. but any new politicians operating under the same parties, and with the same agendas will never be popular with the younger voting public imo... i think the %'s of people that vote will never climb

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2010, 07:55:18 pm »
Their is the major factor in our voting public. On average 58% of the voting public vote and the vast majority who do not vote come from lower income families. If an additional 20% voted i think Ireland would see a very different Political landscape.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »
Their is the major factor in our voting public. On average 58% of the voting public vote and the vast majority who do not vote come from lower income families. If an additional 20% voted i think Ireland would see a very different Political landscape.
i dont vote, as i dont have any respect or confidence for any of them..

atleast if you ran for el pres, you would allow us to air our opinion, a poll is better than nothing !! :D
I might vote for you Sarge, if you promise to do me Garden :D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:06 pm »
i dont vote, as i dont have any respect or confidence for any of them..

atleast if you ran for el pres, you would allow us to air our opinion, a poll is better than nothing !! :D
I might vote for you Sarge, if you promise to do me Garden :D

Done!! ;D But at present i am to young to run for President. But you never know i might be up a poll sooner than you think.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2010, 08:27:53 pm »
Done!! ;D But at present i am to young to run for President. But you never know i might be up a poll sooner than you think.
great stuff.. I dont have a Garden tho, you think you can get me one of them, before you get flowers to put in it?? lol .. just got a balcony :D

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #278 on: February 15, 2010, 01:45:24 pm »
There are quite a few people on here, who are much more qualified or in the know.

but what do you suggest would be a few simple and measured recovery tactics that could be employed?

id love some investment in entrepreneurs, but maybe they think we are too skint to try.
i also think that we should try to unravel the visa restrictions a bit, and make our country more available to tourists.. (ive documented that above somewhat)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #279 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:52 pm »
Well for a start the Minister should pick up the phone and call Michael O' Leary (yes a complete c*nt) and save 300 jobs in SR Tech.
Y.N.W.A.