Author Topic: RIP Ray Clemence  (Read 23167 times)

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Re: RIP Ray Clemence
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2020, 10:18:54 pm »
Sad news. Wonderful keeper who played a huge part in many of our early trophy wins in Europe.

I took my kids to Anfield in the 70s and Clemence was the only goalie they saw play for us for so long.
My daughter tonight said he always looked as if nothing bothered him. So true. My son used to say “buns to a bear” whenever a cross came in and Clem jumped to catch it effortlessly.

RIP Clem. Condolences to his wife and family.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online Craig67

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2020, 10:25:51 pm »
This one?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1314522062749413378

My first time on the Kop that day. Great memories.

Really awful news.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2020, 10:32:32 pm »
I was talking to a pal today about Clem. We were remembering the famous things about him. His agility, his judgement, the graceful way he dived, his courage (in an age where goalies seemed to dive at forwards' feet much more than now), his phenomenal powers of concentration, and his physical strength. But what really set him apart was something neither of us had really noticed at the time and which only becomes obvious when you look back at old film of Clem. That was his speed. Speed off his line, speed getting rid of the ball with a quick throw, speed of foot to get into position to make an efficient dive. It's so modern.

I was on the Kop when Clem came home in '82. That ovation has subsequently become famous and is being replayed a lot today. What we sometimes forget is how tense that match was. We were down 0-1 at half time when Clem made his approach to the Kop goal. We needed to win that match to win the League Title. Clem defending the goal for Spurs was going to make that very difficult indeed. And yet...everyone on the Kop swallowed their anxiety and gave the man a hero's welcome. It's one of the great moments.

I like to think Clem had a tear in his eye still when Kenny slotted the winner past him.

"Europe's, Europe's Number One...." as our song to him used to go. And in a golden age of goalkeepers too. RIP Clem.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2020, 10:50:15 pm »
RIP Clem.  Many happy memories as a child watching you.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2020, 10:58:26 pm »
RIP Clem, the best keeper I've ever seen.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Online ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #285 on: November 15, 2020, 11:01:01 pm »
I was on the Kop to Yorky and your right it was a tense game. However when Clem came out of the tunnel after half time and ran towards the Kop the ground erupted in applause and cheers; it was a truly magnificent moment of welcoming home one of our own.

I’ve shed a few tears today as all those great memories came flooding back as Ray was one of my first Liverpool hero’s. 

RIP Clem.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: November 15, 2020, 11:18:24 pm »
Front page of tomorrows Echo.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: November 15, 2020, 11:19:37 pm »
Back pages too.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: November 15, 2020, 11:22:26 pm »
I was talking to a pal today about Clem. We were remembering the famous things about him. His agility, his judgement, the graceful way he dived, his courage (in an age where goalies seemed to dive at forwards' feet much more than now), his phenomenal powers of concentration, and his physical strength. But what really set him apart was something neither of us had really noticed at the time and which only becomes obvious when you look back at old film of Clem. That was his speed. Speed off his line, speed getting rid of the ball with a quick throw, speed of foot to get into position to make an efficient dive. It's so modern.

I was on the Kop when Clem came home in '82. That ovation has subsequently become famous and is being replayed a lot today. What we sometimes forget is how tense that match was. We were down 0-1 at half time when Clem made his approach to the Kop goal. We needed to win that match to win the League Title. Clem defending the goal for Spurs was going to make that very difficult indeed. And yet...everyone on the Kop swallowed their anxiety and gave the man a hero's welcome. It's one of the great moments.

I like to think Clem had a tear in his eye still when Kenny slotted the winner past him.

"Europe's, Europe's Number One...." as our song to him used to go. And in a golden age of goalkeepers too. RIP Clem.

I never saw Clem play for Liverpool live as I was too young, my first match might have been '83 maybe. I had however watched him loads of times on the telly for Liverpool and as a kid I knew he was the best keeper in the world, absolutely awesome. When he left, it felt a bit like when Keegan left it terms of how were we going to replace him? We did replace Keegan with an even better player but we haven't seen a Liverpool keeper as good as Clem since. I never understood why he'd go from Liverpool to Spurs but as a fanbase I think we all took it on the chin and respected his decision as he was such a thoroughly decent and humble bloke. He'd also given everything in every match when he played for Liverpool and I can't remember him letting us down once.

Very sad day, thoughts with his family.   
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: November 15, 2020, 11:30:02 pm »
I showed that lovely video on ltc.tv today to my 11 year old. When I was 11, Clem had just left for Spurs, but at aged 6-11, Clem played a big part in my life. The Shilton/Clem years. Defining days. So I'm trying to explain to mine that you see that Alisson of ours? I'll raise you Clem. Look at that applause that the Kop give Ray Clemence there... just look at it. RIP Ray.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: November 15, 2020, 11:42:29 pm »
Nobody has left a club in a better way has there?  It's joyous. Respect and love shared.

That goal that Fashanu scored was quite rightly goal of the season that year... but for some reason, aged 9? I was so encapsulated by Clemence's dive for it I decided I wanted to be a goalkeeper. He just looked to balletic that I too wanted to look like that, however briefly. And I kept for a year, before it was patently obvious that I was shite desperately needed elsewhere. Anywhere else.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: November 15, 2020, 11:54:34 pm »

Fine words. Always the No. 1.

Offline Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2020, 12:03:52 am »
He was something special, Ray Clemence. Deeply saddened to learn he has left us. Such difficult times. Condolences to Ray's family.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2020, 12:18:24 am »
Really sad to hear the news. Read & watched some wonderful tributes on Clem over the past few hours. Our greatest keeper of all time, RIP Ray.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:31 am »
As long as there is a Liverpool Football Club , Ray Clemence will be remembered as one of our all time legends..Like many others he was my first and still favourite ever LFC  keeper. Gutted tonight. RIP Liverpool's Number One.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2020, 12:27:04 am »
RIP my hero.

Hope our club and Spurs together could give him a hero send off he deserved.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2020, 12:36:55 am »
Such sad news. Sort of felt it was coming I guess with the illness seeming to return recently but it still hits home so hard to those of us who grew up with Ray Clemence guarding our goal.

You'll always be "England's, England's number one" for us Ray.

Back then, that chant we'd shout so defiantly before every game as you took your place in front of us and touch that crossbar really did mean something to all of us on the Kop. And I'm guessing also to yourself Ray because it meant that whatever went on elsewhere in the media or with England selections you knew that to us you always really were the number one even though the other fella often used to get the nod. But that never mattered to us one bit because you were our number one - our very own Liverpudlian version of the Gordon Banks we'd also idolized in the years before you arrived - and you had been ever since the word spread amongst us all of the amazing keeper we had for all those years in the reserves where you waited patiently for Shanks to give you your chance. And boy did you grab that chance with both hands when it finally did come - much as you'd grasp every cross that entered our box.

Thanks for all the great memories you gave us Clem. Rest in Peace. 

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2020, 01:07:49 am »
Rest in peace Ray Clemence. Liverpool FC greatest ever #1
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2020, 01:12:18 am »
RIP Clem. Number 1.

78/79 - peak Ray Clemence?

Liverpool   p42 w30 d8 L4 F85 a16

Cally on Clem

Ray was one of those people who was really enthusiastic in training. He always wanted people to take shots at him. He defied you to try and put the ball in the net.

https://www.lfchistory.net/players/player/profile/282

Online Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2020, 01:51:12 am »
The first game I ever went to was Clem’s testimonial, against Anderlecht in 1980. Clem scored a penalty, though I’m not sure the Anderlecht keeper was too strenuous in his efforts to keep it out! Clem was ahead of his time and would fit right in with the modern game and Klopp’s style of play in particular. For the first time in 40 years, I think we have a keeper of similar calibre.
I can’t remember feeling so saddened by the death of someone I didn’t know.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:27:25 am by Speedy Molby »
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: November 16, 2020, 01:52:08 am »
Clem was the goalkeeper of my era. A great keeper.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: November 16, 2020, 02:27:26 am »
RIP Ray
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #302 on: November 16, 2020, 02:37:23 am »

:'( :-[

We should never forget it is great players who make great teams and clubs. You only need to listen to the legends of LFC from his era to understand his significance. They say it better than I ever could, that Ray Clemence is one of the reasons our club is such a special one all these years later. He was one of the foundation stones that so much of this club’s success was built on.
Our feeling in this moment is of course overwhelmingly sadness, but it is also appreciation. Our fans will remember with fondness an extraordinary player and a wonderful person who contributed so much to Liverpool Football Club.

He and his loved ones are in our thoughts and prayers.

You’ll Never Walk Alone

Jürgen

🔥97🔥

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #303 on: November 16, 2020, 03:21:54 am »
I watched his 500th game. My first keeper I knew for Liverpool.

Total legend. Sad loss.

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2020, 04:23:46 am »
R.I.P Ray Clemence, Legend

You’ll Never Walk Alone

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2020, 05:16:05 am »
Probably thinly goalkeepers nameI could remember as a kid.

RIP Ray. YNWA.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2020, 06:01:38 am »
RIP Ray

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2020, 07:02:50 am »
A true legend. He was our keeper through my teens and early twenties and never let us down. I think Dalglish scoring between his legs is the only error I can remember. Also also seemed a real gent and a good bloke. RIP Clem.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online tazman74

• Main Stander
  • We won it six times whisky nose!
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2020, 07:56:47 am »
Legend is a term we use all too much. But it’s easily bestowed on Ray Clemence.

RIP Ray.
My old man said be a Man U fan,
I said 'Fuck off bollocks, you're a c*nt!'

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2020, 09:04:38 am »
Such an icon - we looked like we'd never concede with Ray in-between the sticks

How many keepers are truly world class? Ray was

Time moves forward but sometimes I wish to stay in the past

So sad - rest in peace

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2020, 09:06:19 am »
RIP Ray.
YNWA, truly one of our greatest players.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2020, 09:34:51 am »
After reflecting some more, it occurs to me that I only ever saw him play live three times, once for Liverpool, twice for Spurs. It seems fitting, a little comforting, that he only conceded a single goal in those 3 games, and it was a penalty (by Neil McNab).

Man Utd 0-0 Liverpool 80/81
Liverpool 0-1 Spurs 86/87
City 1-1 Spurs 86/87 (Dad's a City fan)
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2020, 09:37:27 am »
Found myself watching a re-run of the St. Etienne game in 1977 to remind myself of the peerless Ray at the peak of his powers. That's how he will be remembered forever; part of the legendary group that helped us conquer Europe and put us on our lofty perch. Simply the best we've ever had. RIP Ray.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2020, 09:37:50 am »
RIP Ray. The best keeper we ever had and probably ever will.

Legend. YNWA.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #314 on: November 16, 2020, 10:44:55 am »
He's always my choice at GK for the all time best Liverpool 11. Wonderful keeper.

Offline driftinwest

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2020, 10:48:47 am »
R.I.P. Ray you gave us some great memories. I went to a testimonial night for Ray at Leighton Court in Neston most of the then team where there and Davy Johnson got there about midnight after playing for England, remember the lads saying how fast he must have drove to get there. Best keeper I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: November 16, 2020, 10:49:06 am »

Beautifully put mate. Liverpool, Klopp right now, it's a golden moment for the club and for us, the fans. Liverpool with Ray Clemence well it was that too but at a golden moment for football in my opinion. They were amazing days, amazing times. I am sad that he has passed. A gent and a giant of the club.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2020, 11:50:54 am »
I think as a tribute next season's home Keeper shirt Ali wears should be that shade of green Clem wore.
What a lovely idea. Hope the club see this.

Looking at the old clips it just dawned on me how much David Ginola looks like our Clem.
Funny I never noticed it before.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2020, 11:55:00 am »
The first game I ever went to was Clem’s testimonial, against Anderlecht in 1980.

That was a cracking night. Remember chants of 'poser, poser', poser' as he made saves. What a player. RIP Clem, and thanks for the wonderful memories.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #319 on: November 16, 2020, 11:57:31 am »

Lovely post.
I never saw him play for Liverpool as it was just before my time but as a kid I loved reading about him as part of that great team.  Ray had a wonderful career and always came across as a gent when I saw him on tv.  That video of him running out and receiving an ovation from the Kop seems volumes.

RIP Ray Clemence.

Liverpool

Football League First Division: 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80
FA Cup: 1973–74
League Cup: 1980–81
FA Charity Shield: 1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979, 1980
European Cup: 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81
UEFA Cup: 1972–73, 1975–76
European Super Cup: 1977

Tottenham Hotspur

FA Cup: 1981–82
FA Charity Shield: 1981 (shared)
UEFA Cup: 1983–84

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.