Author Topic: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool  (Read 72738 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Ben “Ben” Davies signs for Liverpool
« Reply #360 on: March 18, 2021, 08:03:39 am »
to be honest though Alberto Moreno was the incumbent and did actually play better than usual for the beginning of that season, so until his injury there wasn't any specific reason to bring Robbo in. Robbo also wasn't brilliant from his first game, certainly better than Moreno but far from the player we then saw some time later.

In this case, JK decided to go with Rhys Williams who, despite not being a new signing, has never looked ready. So I think the two comparisons are only superficially relevant.

Yeah, I said myself after Fulham that I could understand us being cautious with Davies but Rhys Williams being picked for that game, while Davies didn't make the bench, was quite damning. Klopp has gone out of his way to avoid playing Phillips and Williams together, so it's not like they were just a more established partnership.

It's more the point that Klopp will give half a season for someone to adjust if he feels they need it, so it doesn't mean it's curtains for Davies. Rodgers, for example, used to write players off after 5 minutes sometimes and that was that. Klopp is a lot more patient.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:06:20 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2021, 12:00:45 am »
I love how some of you think Klopp is going to be OK with the owners screwing with the guys career just to make at most a few million, there's no way he's going to let that happen.
Davies got a niggle when he arrived and Kablak was more experienced (at our level) and got put in and now Klopp is trying to build a partnership with Kablak and Phillips to try and see us through the rest of the season, it sucks for Davies as he may have to bide his time but there's no great conspiracy to flip a player for a few quid  ::)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2021, 12:37:03 am »
I love how some of you think Klopp is going to be OK with the owners screwing with the guys career just to make at most a few million, there's no way he's going to let that happen.
Davies got a niggle when he arrived and Kablak was more experienced (at our level) and got put in and now Klopp is trying to build a partnership with Kablak and Phillips to try and see us through the rest of the season, it sucks for Davies as he may have to bide his time but there's no great conspiracy to flip a player for a few quid  ::)

Dominic Solanke disagrees with this post.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2021, 12:53:06 am »

I locve how some people think that the Boss will pick him just because the owners decided he was cheap enough to buy in Jan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2021, 06:33:26 pm »
Dominic Solanke disagrees with this post.
Are you actually serious?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #365 on: March 24, 2021, 09:54:11 am »
If anything, Solanke was given ample opportunity given what he was actually displaying when he was on the pitch. Klopp clearly rated him, to a point. I do remember him looking pretty decent, scoring in that final day of the season win v Brighton a few years back.

I've always said I thought he'd go on to do well and return to Premier League level. He's only 23 still and has 16 combined G+A in 32 games in the Championship, stats that suggest a Premier League level player (this is comparable/ better per 90 than people like Ollie Watkins put up in their best Championship season).

I am torn with the situation on Davies. It certainly isn't great, despite the players they were up against, to concede 5 against an attack containing Ben Woodburn (one of those players probably shows his talent better at a higher level than League One etc) and a 16 year old Gordon, regardless of his talent.

I hope he sees minutes and becomes a solid squad option. We'll see. There's not been anything to go at from interviews with him etc. Hopefully he's still champing at the bit simply based on the opportunity he's been given.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: March 24, 2021, 10:54:26 am »
He barely played in his first 5 or 6 months here himself. Klopp won't throw a new signing in if he doesn't feel they're ready.

Andrew robertson started the 1st home PL game of the season in his 1st season with us, https://www.premierleague.com/match/22356

Ben Davies is in largely uncharted waters here, I can't remember an outfield player in his mid 20's being bought and being so far down the pecking order.  The idea we bought him to flip a profit is plausible IMO

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #367 on: March 24, 2021, 11:00:27 am »
I'd say it was fairly obvious he was bought as emergency cover, at a cheap price, with the knowledge we'd likely be able to sell him on and (at least) cover our costs.

I highly doubt he was under any illusion as to what he was being bought for either - but the prospect of the chance to play here (even if just for a short time), to experience playing for such a huge PL club under Klopp, for (prob) better pay than he'll get anywhere else - was enough to persuade him.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: March 24, 2021, 11:01:45 am »
I don't buy the flipping for a profit angle because I don't think there is enough profit to be made for it to be worth it. What do people think he would go for if we put him up for sale?

I think the highway robbery we committed re Solanke is long gone in this post covid era
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 11:37:08 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #369 on: March 24, 2021, 11:04:28 am »
I think the highway robbery we committed re Solanke are long gone in this post covid era

I doubt we expected to make anything like what we did on him either.

We likely signed firstly hoping he'd come good, but I doubt anyone expected him to not do so AND we sell for £18/19m.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2021, 01:16:23 pm »
Ben Davies is out for 3 weeks with a calf injury.

Sorry, is this the wrong forum to post the news in?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #371 on: March 24, 2021, 01:18:59 pm »
Ben Davies is out for 3 weeks with a calf injury.

Sorry, is this the wrong forum to post the news in?

Shouldn't this be posted in the 'Centre back continuous injury' thread?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: March 24, 2021, 07:17:31 pm »
It should be posted in the we will never see Ben play a competitive minute for Liverpool this season thread too!

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #373 on: March 24, 2021, 07:32:40 pm »
Hes a back up in case of further injury or Kabak/Phillips implosion because they had never played together when we bought Ben.

His very existence means Fab is going back into midfield no matter what and is why we are going to win the CL and 10 on the spin in the Prem.

He gets well paid.

Whats the issue? His career is getting a boost not the other way round.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: March 24, 2021, 07:43:04 pm »
Shouldn't this be posted in the 'Centre back continuous injury' thread?

Not really. Ben Davies plays at LB.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2021, 09:02:53 pm »
Not really. Ben Davies plays at LB.

The Tottenham Ben Davies?

I'm confused.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2021, 06:25:58 pm »
The Tottenham Ben Davies?

I'm confused.

I think he was being funny.

Our Ben Davies was training today
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: March 29, 2021, 09:25:39 pm »
With Konate potentially signing he may not even play for us which would be a bit of a shame.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #378 on: April 7, 2021, 08:20:34 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: April 7, 2021, 08:22:44 pm »
With Konate potentially signing he may not even play for us which would be a bit of a shame.

What if Davies is shit?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #380 on: April 7, 2021, 09:49:41 pm »

What’s Alisson got to do with Ben Davies?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #381 on: April 7, 2021, 09:59:42 pm »

He's already doing his job. He's cover for injuries. Klopp watches him all day in training and must think Kabak and Nate are better right now.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #382 on: April 7, 2021, 10:03:30 pm »

This ain't the Alisson thread, bro...

EDIT: Oh Bollocks! Jazzy Hylobates strikes!
« Last Edit: April 7, 2021, 10:08:59 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2021, 05:36:38 pm »
I am resigned to the fact that he may not even get to make his debut for us. I think he was the emergency backup signing and we've luckily (knock on wood) managed to keep a couple of centre halves fit. The fact that Rhys gets on the team sheet ahead of him is a little worrying though. Klopp gives players a fair go and if he is below Rhys, then it is unlikely that he's making the cut in training.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #384 on: April 19, 2021, 08:09:41 pm »
Still can’t get in the inside even with Nat injured?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2021, 10:05:53 am »
Still can’t get in the inside even with Nat injured?

Always stuck in the outside lane is Ben Davies.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2021, 10:18:36 am »
Klopp's comments at the time seemed to indicate that he was a bit of a mad signing that was given to him. Probably was right that he was bought as an insurance policy just in case we didn't get a player like Kabak.

Mad though and whilst its just business I guess, it will be a bit sad if he doesn't get a move to Celtic or anyone else in the summer. I hope we don't hold out for too much money for him.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: April 22, 2021, 11:01:28 am »
 If he is just too bad to put into the team then prospective buyers will not want to pay much for him; if we do play him and he is awful then the same goes. Feel sorry for the guy though.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #388 on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:26 am »
He didn't look like a bad player, I can't imagine he's that far off the pace that he can't even be considered.  Weird.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #389 on: April 22, 2021, 11:08:26 am »
Klopp's comments at the time seemed to indicate that he was a bit of a mad signing that was given to him. Probably was right that he was bought as an insurance policy just in case we didn't get a player like Kabak.

Mad though and whilst its just business I guess, it will be a bit sad if he doesn't get a move to Celtic or anyone else in the summer. I hope we don't hold out for too much money for him.

Sentiment should not get in the way of good business. If we can turn a nice profit then so be it. No doubt Davies has had quite the improvement in his contract and signed with the knowledge that he was a panic signing late in the window.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #390 on: April 22, 2021, 11:16:01 am »
We sign players and bed them in slowly, Robbo/Fabinho etc.

Just because he isn't involved now (just back from injury now) doesn't mean the lad doesn't potentially have a future here.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #391 on: April 22, 2021, 11:45:03 am »
I dont think we are bedding him in, we didnt with Kabak who is much younger than him and we could have played Davies since he came in, Monday as an example. Think he was a just incase/extra body who will go in the summer.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2021, 11:51:55 am »
Yeah I don't buy the bedding in thing either.  He didn't have to relocate to a new country like Kabak, he was settled and he knows the game over here.  Would have made sense for him to be the one to come straight in.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 22, 2021, 11:52:31 am »
We sign players and bed them in slowly, Robbo/Fabinho etc.

Just because he isn't involved now (just back from injury now) doesn't mean the lad doesn't potentially have a future here.

Robertson and Fabinho still got some games though. He could be bedding in because we have had important games since he signed but not sure, we will have to see.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #394 on: April 22, 2021, 11:54:32 am »
Robertson and Fabinho still got some games though. He could be bedding in because we have had important games since he signed but not sure, we will have to see.

He's had niggly injuries also it seems. I reckon we'll see him make his debut before the season ends.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: April 22, 2021, 11:56:52 am »
I dont think we are bedding him in, we didnt with Kabak who is much younger than him and we could have played Davies since he came in, Monday as an example. Think he was a just incase/extra body who will go in the summer.

Yep, massively wishful thinking for it to be some Fabinho, Robbo story, I mean it'll be brilliant if it is but it's highly unlikely, again on Monday we preferred to fuck our midfield rather than play him against a lad he would know from the championship. Them two actually got games and Robbo was instantly so good many wondered why the fuck we were still playing Albie (who admittedly had reasonable form at the time too)

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #396 on: April 22, 2021, 03:17:40 pm »
It really is a strange one because he was comfortably one of the best centre halves in The Championship and has the bonus of having a very decent left foot. I just can’t see any way that Rhys Williams is better than him, it must be down to injuries. I wonder if Klopp views him as a longer term project?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2021, 03:19:02 pm »
He should be well rested at least.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2021, 03:23:52 pm »
I think it's also the case where the games we have been winning, haven't been by big margins so there hasn't been that kind of opportunity to give him.

I think of the games where we have been comfortable - Arsenal away, maybe Sheffield United, where we could have brought him on and given him minutes, he has been injured.

Offline AmSeeker

• ABbitOfAnAttention
  • Main Stander
« Reply #399 on: April 22, 2021, 06:44:06 pm »
Was he injury prone before joining us ?