Author Topic: Any Fridge/Freezer experts?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Any Fridge/Freezer experts?
« on: November 16, 2018, 10:16:42 am »
Got a Hotpoint fridge/freezer that's about 2 years old. Had a 3 hour power cut earlier this week, when it came back on the fridge went back to normal temp but the freezer was sat on around -8 and won't go colder even though it's set to -22

We've got an extended warranty with Squaretrade. Called them up and they told us to leave it powered off for 24 hours to fully defrost and then start back up. Started up last night and left it all night, the fridge again is fine but the freezer has only got down to -10 after being on all night.

Called Squaretrade again this morning and they've basically said well we don't have the repair facilites so we'll give you £329.40 refund. It cost £549  ::)

Anyone know what the fault might be? It was a pain in the arse to get in the house, it had to be practically dismantled to get it through the narrow doorways and I don't want the hassle if there's a potential cheap fix.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Any Fridge/Freezer experts?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:26 am »
Barneylfc is the native fridge/freezer expert. He'll be along shortly. Lock up your wife and daughters.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:20 am »
I rang Squaretrade back said I wasn't happy with the refund, can't get anything like a replacement for £329. Got an E-mail 5 minutes later saying "OK we'll increase it to £400"

Think they just pluck numbers from thin air.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 05:31:47 pm »
I rang Squaretrade back said I wasn't happy with the refund, can't get anything like a replacement for £329. Got an E-mail 5 minutes later saying "OK we'll increase it to £400"

Think they just pluck numbers from thin air.

They are trying to give you the current second hand value of the item which is probably what they owe per warranty (i'm guessing).

My guess is they know it cannot be easily repaired and just want to fuck you off.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 06:33:45 pm »
Barneylfc is the native fridge/freezer expert. He'll be along shortly. Lock up your wife and daughters.

Sorry lads, but I deal with removal and installation
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:01:25 pm »
I would suggest having a smaller fridge/freezer in the kitchen and another one in your shed for the beer bottles. The fresh air does you good when you're fetching a beer.
And don't have a daughter living at home who fills the freezer bit with things you don't like.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 07:39:44 pm »
Spoke to an appliance repair engineer who I’ve used before. He said if the fridge is performing fine then the main elements of the appliance are fine, he’s absolutely convinced that the issue is airflow, and power cut caused some water onto the freezer condenser fan which then jammed as it refroze.

When I left it off for 24 hours, the freezer door was shut and although the thermometer showed room temperature, he said where the fans are is very well insulated and with the freezer door kept shut it could easily hold ice for over 24 hours.

So under his advice it’s off for another 24 hours but with freezer door wide open. He’s convinced that’ll fix it, and given the insurers have already written it off it would be a result!

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 09:03:06 pm »
Soon as I saw this thread I thought "First post will be Craig mentioning Barney". :lmao

Hope yours gets sorted Graeme,

My fridge freezer is a loud fucker, it sounds like it's moo-ing at times. Don't even have any milk in there.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:58 pm »
I reckon the last bit of advice will do the trick Graeme, if you have the ability to, tilt it before you switch it back on to dislodge trapped bubbles.

The offer seems reasonable to me also, grab it.

My fridge freezer isn't particularly old but it sounds like its draining energy from the local substation.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:24 pm »
Well the extended defrost didn't work. Stuck to my guns with Squaretrade and they paid out the full purchase price of £549

I've since taken out a service plan with Hotpoint directly, £15.99 per month for a year and replacement machine if they can't fix it.  We use a cheap thermometer in both fridge and freezer, before the power cut they always showed the same temp as the section was set to, now the freezer doesn't. Even tried swapping them round but the fridge shows correct and the freezer is about -10 when it should be -22.

Engineer came out yesterday but felling a bit fobbed off. He argued that the thermometers we're using aren't calibrated and shouldn't be fully trusted. Said it 'felt cold enough' to him, guess he's had his fingers calibrated then?

He said being empty won't help either as the airflow over the frozen food contributes to the cooling. I've since filled it and shock horror still -10

I just can't see how the thermometer can be out when it's been perfect for a couple of years and then at the same time as the powercut it stops being accurate.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:33:09 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bMXgyX08kiE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bMXgyX08kiE</a>

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »
This is still going? 😁
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »
This is still going? 😁

RAWK never forgets.

Kind of like an Elephant.

Talking of Elephants, where’s Effes?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 05:03:15 pm »
Arrrgh - my integrated fridge/freezer has gone I think.

A week ago it started making the occasional noise - like a thud inside it, humming a bit. Called out a dude and he said it's likely the compressor is on its way out and he suspects a screw or something has come lose inside and that's the noise we are hearing. He said it's sealed, so he can't fix it - it would be a case of replacing the whole thing but he advised against it. He said there's no point as the FF still works perfectly and there's no leaking gas or anything. He said it could last weeks/months/years. Turns out it lasted a week - I went to put something in the freezer and moved some croissants and noticed they were soft. There's no water or anything, so it must have happened in the last few hours. Opened the fridge and noticed stuff wasn't as cold as it should.

Long story short, it needs to be replaced.

We bought this place in the summer, and the integrated appliances stayed - fridge freezer and dishwasher. The place is only 4.5 years old so I know the appliances can't be any older than that.

We don't want another integrated appliance so the plan is to measure, go somewhere tomorrow and get a new freestanding one and my Husband will take out and disconnect the broken fridge freezer and pull out any of the unit that needs to come out to get the new one in... he says...

But... the thing can't be switched off until it's out. It's plugged in behind the fridge freezer and there's no switch anywhere to turn it on/off like the dishwasher, washing machine and oven. Stupid, stupid design.

Couple of questions:

1. Is it it safe to leave it on if we aren't going to take it out for a few days?
2. Can we take it out ourselves? Plan is to get new one delivered and installed and have them take the old one away but we will need to take it out first and prep the area to ensure the new one fits.

Any advice appreciated!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 05:05:14 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 05:22:34 pm »
It should be perfectly safe to be left on afaik. But you could see if it has it's own fuse in the fuse box, then you could just switch that off.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 05:42:56 pm »
Arrrgh - my integrated fridge/freezer has gone I think.

A week ago it started making the occasional noise - like a thud inside it, humming a bit. Called out a dude and he said it's likely the compressor is on its way out and he suspects a screw or something has come lose inside and that's the noise we are hearing. He said it's sealed, so he can't fix it - it would be a case of replacing the whole thing but he advised against it. He said there's no point as the FF still works perfectly and there's no leaking gas or anything. He said it could last weeks/months/years. Turns out it lasted a week - I went to put something in the freezer and moved some croissants and noticed they were soft. There's no water or anything, so it must have happened in the last few hours. Opened the fridge and noticed stuff wasn't as cold as it should.

Long story short, it needs to be replaced.

We bought this place in the summer, and the integrated appliances stayed - fridge freezer and dishwasher. The place is only 4.5 years old so I know the appliances can't be any older than that.

We don't want another integrated appliance so the plan is to measure, go somewhere tomorrow and get a new freestanding one and my Husband will take out and disconnect the broken fridge freezer and pull out any of the unit that needs to come out to get the new one in... he says...

But... the thing can't be switched off until it's out. It's plugged in behind the fridge freezer and there's no switch anywhere to turn it on/off like the dishwasher, washing machine and oven. Stupid, stupid design.

Couple of questions:

1. Is it it safe to leave it on if we aren't going to take it out for a few days?
2. Can we take it out ourselves? Plan is to get new one delivered and installed and have them take the old one away but we will need to take it out first and prep the area to ensure the new one fits.

Any advice appreciated!!

You may find it’s not a socket behind it but it’s hardwired into an unswitched spur , integrated appliances tend to be less depth due to the door having to go on and the appliance having to go right back which a plug and socket doesn’t allow

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2024, 03:05:23 pm »
Thanks both! Have a new one coming early next week.