Author Topic: Give Blood  (Read 23451 times)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Give Blood
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2011, 01:41:33 pm »
It's alright love ;)

haha  ;D

Went along this morning. Went well except that the doctor there was a Spanish fella who, upon seeing on my passport that I was from Liverpool, felt the need to tell me that Torres was the best player in the world and was irreplaceable. Is nowhere safe?!  :butt

Offline Treasure Everywhere

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Mr Suarez wins a corner
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »
... but you may find that blood is not enough.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 7, 2011, 05:52:47 pm »
Went along to the DW stadium this afternoon to complete it for the first time... Felt very smug sat there in one of the Wigan exective lounges in my Liverpool jacket..

Slightly scared as I got there but by far the worst part by far was them putting the needle in, but they made me feel very welcome and happy and always checking I was okay. Whole process lasted about an hour altogether.

So overall I'm really excited about doing it again and knowing I've made a difference :)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #203 on: February 7, 2011, 05:54:50 pm »
Haha, bizarre, I literally just gave blood in Canary Wharf this afternoon (used to go a lot at Uni, but have only done it once in the couple of years since) and then I saw this thread!

Strangely, the last time I gave was in a little building next to Stamford Bridge...

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 7, 2011, 09:45:26 pm »
Went along to the DW stadium this afternoon to complete it for the first time... Felt very smug sat there in one of the Wigan exective lounges in my Liverpool jacket..

Slightly scared as I got there but by far the worst part by far was them putting the needle in, but they made me feel very welcome and happy and always checking I was okay. Whole process lasted about an hour altogether.

So overall I'm really excited about doing it again and knowing I've made a difference :)

It feels great when you walk out. Well done, mate :wave

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Give blood!
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:56 pm »
No excuses (Apart from medical).

Find a local session coming up the next few days/weeks. Book a session. Bobble along. Give blood.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Give blood. It's a vital service and everyone should do it if they are able.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Give blood!
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:21 pm »
Absolutely agree.
Nothing to it so do it and do it often.
It saves lives.
 :thumbup

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2012, 01:40:57 pm »
I agree, I gave blood regularly before i developed diabetes so cant any more, but thank everyone who does after receiving 4 blood transfusions my self last year, if it wasnt for the people who donate who knows!!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »
I'm offski in a wee while.

I've got a Universal donor blood type so it's something you should try and do (Although it's been a few years since I gave last, it's never too late to start going again)

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:08 pm »
Giving aga this weekend.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:39 pm »
Giving aga this weekend.

Free cooker? I'll have it.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:59 pm »
 :sad

Can't due to taking prescribed medication that alters my blood and liver chemistry.

Used to give blood for a number of years, but had to stop about a decade ago due to said medication.

The slightly annoying thing is I was and am, only 2 donations away from my silver medal....... and shall be forever more.  :(

I'm good old O'neg as well.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:38 pm »
The National Blood Service Needs you.....

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2012, 03:58:48 pm »
Can I give blood when I'm taking Fluoxetine?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2012, 04:05:53 pm »
Should be fine, yeah. They ask you what meds you're on when you're in there.  Just make sure you eat well before you go in and, for better flowing blood, make sure you're well hydrated.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »
:sad

Can't due to taking prescribed medication that alters my blood and liver chemistry.

Used to give blood for a number of years, but had to stop about a decade ago due to said medication.

The slightly annoying thing is I was and am, only 2 donations away from my silver medal....... and shall be forever more.  :(

I'm good old O'neg as well.

Aye same as me - O Rh D -

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2012, 05:10:03 pm »
Search facility doesn't work at mo, but there must be 3 or 4 threads on giving blood!

I gave blood yesterday!

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »
One on Dale Street.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »
would like to but they keep refusing me because i travel outside UK every year
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »
I give blood as often as I can, you never know when you might need it back! :wave

Offline Gerrard_8_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »
I wasn't allowed to donate for 12 months due to an incident, now I'm allowed to donate again I can't because of meds/illness. As soon as I'm allowed again I will.

When people go to donate can they please sign up to the bone marrow donor register? They take 1 extra tube of blood for testing then they'll only contact you again if you're a match and could save a life. It's so important and could save a life! (People who wan't to sign up but don't want to give blood can register through the anthony nolan trust using a saliva test)

I emailed them to ask that recently. Got this reply:

If you are on stable dose of fluoxetine for 3 months, we are happy to accept you.

I hope this will help.

Kind regards

Dr M Suhail Asghar
Clinical Support Team

Hope it helps.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »
would like to but they keep refusing me because i travel outside UK every year

Not sure about that mate. You tell them where you go and when they take it they take a couple of extra samples and send it along with your blood. I travelled abroad and they just took extra samples and told me they would be tested.

When did you last give? Go along. Give blood. Give your extra samples then you're on record as OK and you can help those that really, really need help the most.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »
Fucking blood service.

I donate regularly, whenever it's been 3 months since my last donation I start receiving letters from them reminding me to donate again, at lesat 1 per week. No problems with that.

What annoys the shit out of me is that I work in a Haemotology department, we are across the road from a NBS Blood Donor Centre, yet the process of actually getting an appointment is incredibly frustrating. When I tried to book online the system is shit (rather than telling you which appointments are available and letting you pick one, you have to enter a time window and then wait 24 hours to be told it is unavailable), the direct number for the place across the road has never once been answered by a person, so in the end I had to call the central booking number. Then the kicker... no appointments for 2 weeks!

Obviously I will still go and donate, but if they really are that desperate for blood, then they should make the whole process of getting an appointment a bit easier (after all it is a voluntary thing, thankfully for me my working hours are flexible so the time off work doesn't matter too much).

OK rant over, yes you should all go out and give blood, it's really important.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »
Not sure id be allowed but cant hurt to ask i spose.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2012, 11:15:38 pm »
@ Rusty.

Can't you just go over the road and say to the nurses that you work over the road, and you'll just fill in at short notice, for empty slots, cancallations or no shows.

Failing that, get onto the area manager, and give them a rocket,  or the minister of health. :lmao   Yeah, I know. Minister for health.

By then, they've probably outsourced it even further, or sold it all off to the highest private enterprise.

They'll probably take your blood, charge you an administration fee, then 4.99 for your cup of tea..... biscuits extra, of course.  ;)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:18 am »
I do it every six months. The doctor who gives people a checkup before donating here is a spanish guy (its always the same fella), massive Barça fan, and every six months he asks me for an update on liverpool. Makes me laugh 'cause it means he either has a great memory or his patient notes are just full of footy related chit chat.

Anyway.. When my grandad had cancer, blood transfusions gave him a new lease of life and gave him a few extra months, which we were glad of. I have the same blood as him (AB+) and am always glad to give it in the hope it will benefit someone else like it did to him.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2012, 01:21:20 am »
Back when I lived in England the NHS rejected my blood because I'm a smoker and they had adequate stocks of my blood type.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2012, 03:40:50 am »
Do you have to not have a beer the day before?  This has been sat on my desk for a few months now and I still haven't done it.  I will do though.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2012, 05:36:37 am »
Back when I lived in England the NHS rejected my blood because I'm a smoker and they had adequate stocks of my blood type.

I smoke a lot, but still I donate blood regularly for the past 4 years or so. In a way, it helps to purify my blood.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2012, 06:29:31 am »
Fucking blood service.

I donate regularly, whenever it's been 3 months since my last donation I start receiving letters from them reminding me to donate again, at lesat 1 per week. No problems with that.

What annoys the shit out of me is that I work in a Haemotology department, we are across the road from a NBS Blood Donor Centre, yet the process of actually getting an appointment is incredibly frustrating. When I tried to book online the system is shit (rather than telling you which appointments are available and letting you pick one, you have to enter a time window and then wait 24 hours to be told it is unavailable), the direct number for the place across the road has never once been answered by a person, so in the end I had to call the central booking number. Then the kicker... no appointments for 2 weeks!

Obviously I will still go and donate, but if they really are that desperate for blood, then they should make the whole process of getting an appointment a bit easier (after all it is a voluntary thing, thankfully for me my working hours are flexible so the time off work doesn't matter too much).

Sorry Rusty you're making a bit of a mistake there. If you phone up and check then many sites allow you to just walk in. I went to a 'Appointment only' site yesterday without an appointment after checking you can just walk in 'if you want' and they were fine with that.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2012, 06:33:40 am »
Do you have to not have a beer the day before?  This has been sat on my desk for a few months now and I still haven't done it.  I will do though.

It was Guinness that was suggested (Guinness is good for you) because the most likely way that people get rejected is because they are anaemic (Lack of Iron in the blood). Guinnes is 'known' to have Iron in it and therefore a Guinness the day before was seen as a good way to 'top your blood Iron up'.

Which is all nonsense.

So no. :)

What you should do on the day that you're going;

1. Drink plenty of fluids before you go
2. Have a light meal a couple of hours before you go
3. They give you half a pint of water now (As it apparantly stops people feeling faint) just before you give
4. Have a cup of tea and a biscuit in the place when you're done (Provided)
5. Drink plenty of fluids and have a light meal when you've given
6. It takes around 48 hours for your system to fully replace what you've lost

And you should be fine :)

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2012, 06:49:08 am »
I give blood regularly, not been to do so from medical reasons of late but hopefully that will be over next year.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #233 on: July 12, 2012, 11:16:37 am »
Not sure if this is just for males, but you can now give blood every 12 weeks (used to be every 16 weeks)

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2012, 11:29:03 am »
absolutley hate giving blood. I'm a reluctant bleeder. Still used to do it in England though.

Now I'm in the States they don;t want my blood because I might be a mad cow.

I'm moooved by that.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:10 am »
absolutley hate giving blood. I'm a reluctant bleeder. Still used to do it in England though.

Now I'm in the States they don;t want my blood because I might be a mad cow.

I'm moooved by that.

Pull the udder one.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:41 pm »

Sorry Rusty you're making a bit of a mistake there. If you phone up and check then many sites allow you to just walk in. I went to a 'Appointment only' site yesterday without an appointment after checking you can just walk in 'if you want' and they were fine with that.

That's part of the trouble - I've phoned the direct line to the centre more than 10 times and not once have I ever got hold of someone to speak to, it's always just answerphone.

I could wander over there but having already done that and been told "Sorry no slots today, you should have phoned up and made a reservation" I'm not a fan of that option.
He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:25 pm »
Fucking blood service.

Register for "blood donors online" service. It may take a week or two to set up as they have to send you an activation code in the post. But once you are set up, you can access the live online service which shows live appointment times and you can make a booking there and then

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2012, 01:43:31 am »
Good shout, been donating for 5 yrs now, got the rarest blood type so especially needed.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:07 am »
Good shout, been donating for 5 yrs now, got the rarest blood type so especially needed.

Which one is that ?   I have a rare blood group but have never donated because I was told I was too light and had to gain quite a bit of weight before I could and haven't quite succeeded.  Have a rare blood group myself. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.