Author Topic: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico  (Read 596667 times)

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
Re: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico
« Reply #4360 on: May 20, 2023, 06:32:13 pm »
A walking continent of common sense.

Jawline of a winner, and he was one.

No time for caution.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4361 on: May 20, 2023, 06:33:33 pm »
Anyone else catch his interview with LFCTV?

Seemed to suggest that he wanted to stay and so did Klopp, but the club decided otherwise. Wonder whether that played a part with Bobby at all too...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4362 on: May 20, 2023, 06:38:13 pm »
Anyone else catch his interview with LFCTV?

Seemed to suggest that he wanted to stay and so did Klopp, but the club decided otherwise. Wonder whether that played a part with Bobby at all too...

Bobby did say this apprently: “The cycle here has ended and I understand it is my time to go. I am very proud for the beautiful history we made together.”

Which sort of suggests it? But I thought it was him that decided it was the right time.

to be honest, I am glad the club took the stance with Milner. There cannot be sentimentality, we have to move on with this midfield, keeping him on would have been a sign of not learning. Bobby though I’d be dissapointed if he’d wanted to stay.

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4363 on: May 20, 2023, 07:10:40 pm »
What a player he turned out to be for us on and off the pitch. Sometimes you don't expect much at all and the positive surprise keeps on giving. Happy future endeavours for him and who knows, maybe his pages in the LFC history books will continue in some form some day. Thanks Milly. Also thanks to Ox and Naby who both had their moments, too. Mostly right now I am still not over Bobby's tears, but my we were, as someone put it in the Bobby thread, graced.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:16:09 pm by lamad »

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4364 on: May 20, 2023, 07:18:32 pm »
For anyone at the game, was there any sort of reward or recognition given afterwards?
put his name into youtube search.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4365 on: May 20, 2023, 07:25:58 pm »
What a player.

In my mind, no matter what time or what date, he is there protecting the ball in the corner at Anfield against Barca.

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4366 on: May 20, 2023, 07:27:48 pm »
Elite winners mentality, he'll be missed but it's the right call for him to move on. We need to move forwards and let others grow.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #4367 on: May 20, 2023, 07:47:13 pm »
Brilliant player. Will miss him. Set the standard for us for a long time.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4368 on: May 20, 2023, 07:53:28 pm »
Brilliant player and a real credit to himself and football, complete opposite to Keita really in every respect..

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4369 on: May 20, 2023, 07:53:33 pm »
Really top player Millie.  Another club legend!

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #4370 on: May 20, 2023, 08:13:51 pm »
Leaves Liverpool with the fewest number of RAWK thread posts per game. Speaks volumes about him and us. I feel the amount we depended on him will never really be widely acknowledged.

Legend. No fuss, mind.

Offline jillc

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4371 on: May 20, 2023, 08:19:52 pm »
He has been fantastic for us, definitely the best free signing the club has done. He is such a professional in the way he looks after himself, he has given us some precious goals but I think the bit of play I most remember, was the clearance. I can't remember who it was against, maybe in the Derby but he ran half the length of the pitch to somehow wrap his leg around the ball and stop it going in for that certain goal. In one bit of match action sums everything up about James Milner. The ultimate professional, thanks for everything Millie.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4372 on: May 20, 2023, 08:22:06 pm »
Brilliant player and a real credit to himself and football, complete opposite to Keita really in every respect..

Strange comment. Keita's not done anything to get criticised in this way, except be injured which is hardly his fault. Why denigrate one player in order to praise another?
Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters: united with her [reason], she [fantasy] is the mother of the arts and the origin of their marvels.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4373 on: May 20, 2023, 08:32:02 pm »

Imagine coming into a thread about Milly to have a dig at Keita.  And an utterly nonsensical one too.

Weird you are.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4374 on: May 20, 2023, 08:34:46 pm »

So weird, isn't it, how some players are fair game for stick and some aren't? Keita was injured all the time. That was his issue. Nothing to do with not being a brilliant player or professional. In fact, he's a profile of player we've sorely missed this season.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4375 on: May 20, 2023, 08:35:26 pm »
I'll always rememer his chipped cross for Lovren vs Dortmund.

Last minute (or close to it) of a fast as hell game, he runs 40 yards to give Studge the option to pass,  and puts in an absolute peach of a cross.

Energy, commitment, never-say-die attitude, smarts, skills ...... James Milner.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4376 on: May 20, 2023, 08:35:34 pm »
Strange comment. Keita's not done anything to get criticised in this way, except be injured which is hardly his fault. Why denigrate one player in order to praise another?
Don't dislike and was over the moon when we signed him but have to admit Ifelt very little emotion when he came out.

Milner just has everything you could want in a player, a very special guy that lifts a club.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:38:23 pm by lgvkarlos »

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4377 on: May 20, 2023, 08:35:58 pm »
Naby coming from a massively poor country. Overcoming all manner of odds, to get to this level of the sport, is the biggest credit you can give anyone.

It didnt work out. Shit happens.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4378 on: May 20, 2023, 08:36:18 pm »
So much respect for this guy. Nothing to add that's not already been said. A true Liverpool legend.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4379 on: May 20, 2023, 08:40:41 pm »
Elite professional.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4380 on: May 20, 2023, 09:08:10 pm »
About as non controversial a player as you could expect to see. The closest thing to controversy in this thread was his last contract extension. Nobody ever debated his quality, questioned his work ethic or ability. He's been the one player we knew what we were getting from the start. The only surprise was that he delivered so consistently for so long.

It's about the greatest compliment RAWK could pay him.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4381 on: May 20, 2023, 09:10:38 pm »
Don't dislike and was over the moon when we signed him but have to admit Ifelt very little emotion when he came out.

Milner just has everything you could want in a player, a very special guy that lifts a club.

That's not what the post I was responding to said though.

I agree about Milner, he's been a terrific player for us. Will set the standards at Brighton as well.
Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters: united with her [reason], she [fantasy] is the mother of the arts and the origin of their marvels.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4382 on: May 20, 2023, 09:30:39 pm »
Everyone in the squad is excited that now they finally have a shot at winning the lactate test...

What a player, what a career, and most of that with us. Best of luck to him and maybe he can come back in a coaching capacity one day.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #4383 on: May 20, 2023, 09:51:32 pm »
Milly is another huge loss for the team. And it always struck me as odd that he was one of the few LFC players never to have their own chant, so I was glad to hear one going around Anfield today. Best of luck to him at Brighton.

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4384 on: May 20, 2023, 10:02:57 pm »
What a player - not many midfielders could be shunted to left back for an entire season and perform at the level needed for an elite team.

Definitely one of the best free transfers ever, and made a huge contribution to the winning mentality we built up over the years.

Wish him well wherever he goes, and can see him becoming a great coach/manager in the future.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4385 on: May 20, 2023, 10:05:11 pm »
What a player - not many midfielders could be shunted to left back for an entire season and perform at the level needed for an elite team.

Definitely one of the best free transfers ever, and made a huge contribution to the winning mentality we built up over the years.

Wish him well wherever he goes, and can see him becoming a great coach/manager in the future.

He was never really a midfield player though. He was always more comfortable outside the opposition shape.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jediwarrior

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4386 on: May 20, 2023, 10:11:26 pm »
Well he proved me wrong and I'm happy to say so. Couldn't understand why we were signing him but soon understood why.
A team leader, never give up, always gave his best whatever position he was played in.
Would love to see him on the coaching staff when he finally hangs up his boots.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4387 on: May 20, 2023, 10:14:49 pm »
That'll do James, that'll do.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4388 on: May 20, 2023, 10:30:22 pm »
Can see him becoming a decent coach/manager some day.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4389 on: May 20, 2023, 10:48:14 pm »
Summed up by the fact he came here being promised the chance to lead the midfield, but didn’t say a word and put an effort in every week when asked to spend an entire season at left back (one of the only positions he’d never really played).

Only shame for me is we didn’t buy him when Leeds went down all those years ago.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4390 on: May 20, 2023, 11:01:36 pm »
Thought he was fucking boss when he came on, as he always is/was. Legend.
AHA!

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4391 on: May 20, 2023, 11:15:49 pm »
Legendary career hes had.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4392 on: May 21, 2023, 01:47:30 am »
James Milner: "I'm Leeds through and through and always have been and always will be – but I never probably thought that another club would get into me as much as Liverpool has."

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4393 on: May 21, 2023, 06:06:18 am »
Milner leaving feels like the biggest out of all of the players we've had leaving recently. Objectively we all know he's not able to provide what he could a few years ago but feels huge, probably owing to what we know he provides to the team other than just ability on the ball. In a year where we've seen how fragile and brittle we can be it feels huge to lose his presence. Good luck to him
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4394 on: May 21, 2023, 07:06:36 am »
Will be a massive loss in the dressing room. Didn't expect him to play for us so long when we signed him, what a piece of business that was.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #4395 on: May 21, 2023, 09:45:47 am »
seeya fella - thanks for everything
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #4396 on: May 21, 2023, 10:29:27 am »
An incredible pro. Yesterday's performance when he came on showed what we'll be missing. Thanks Milly.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4397 on: May 21, 2023, 03:35:02 pm »
Hes an athletic and footballing one off - who played almost every position on the pitch

He’s also massively misreprensented as a player … because he’s British and ‘puts himself about’ he was characterized as an enforcer type when he was never amazing defensively but fantastic on the ball. Right up to this season his passing numbers were always top class

Incredible career

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4398 on: May 21, 2023, 06:42:49 pm »
I don't think Milner is really appreciated as a player until he plays for your club, then you understand what a man he is.  Instrumental in this squads recent successes, his experience would have been a calming influence when some could have struggled with the pressure. and still a good player who will serve some club well.  Hope he goes onto to surpass Gareth Barry as far as appearances go.  A one off.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4399 on: May 21, 2023, 07:19:22 pm »
What a man, what a player, what a leader. A massive part of why we have achieved what we have in his time here. Best free transfer of all time in my eyes

Hope he has a great time at Brighton. One thing he'll do is change the ethos at that club and drag everyone up a level. Reckon he's got 2 more years left playing at this level and then I hope he comes back as a coach here. He's got everything to make it as a coach/manager

Will be sorely missed. Legend