Author Topic: Uefa to hold hearing into Mamadou Sakho’s failed drug test for Liverpool  (Read 46487 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
I think UEFA should make everyone eat cream buns in their training camps to make it equal.

And Toffo's. Lots and lots of Toffo's
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Sakho's provisional 30 day suspension has now lapsed, and UEFA have decided not to extend it, however the only statement they have made is that "a decision on the case will be made in the next few days".

Outwith that there are contradicting reports going around.
- Some have said (including the Echo) that Sakho and his defence team are arguing that the substance in question should not be on the list, and that UEFA are looking into this (implying that it was on the list, and that Sakho tested positive for it).
- Some have said that UEFA are still now actually trying to establish if the substance Sakho tested positive for is indeed even illegal/on the banned list as it is not clear.

The investigation is still ongoing, and it's unclear really what will happen next, although a lot of people think Sakho will be cleared (and the reports in France seem to take this stance), although I don't think there's really enough information either way at the moment.

He is now (at least temporarily) available for selection for the Euros, however as squads need to be named by Tuesday and the investigation is still technically ongoing and no further comment is expected from UEFA for "a few days", then it might well be a gamble to include him in the squad.
Thanks for the summary, but I still don't understand how Sakho can test positive for something that isn't banned.
Since he didn't ask for the second test to be analyzed, I guess he's not disputing that the substance was in his body.
But if the substance wasn't on the list, why did Liverpool choose to suspend him rather than challenge Uefa?

I thought there was a list of banned substances, and that was it. Either the substance is on the list, or it's not on the list. How are athletes supposed to adhere to a list otherwise?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
I still don't understand how Sakho can test positive for something that isn't banned.
He was positive for something that is banned it`s just that Sakho`s team seem to have proof it shouldn`t be banned. And by lifting his suspension it seems Uefa agrees with them.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Here's a bit of info I hadn't seen yet (which doesn't mean it hasn't popped up in this thread, so sorry in that case). It's from this ESPN article.

Sakho submitted his defence to UEFA's disciplinary committee on Monday and, as part of that, his legal team questioned whether the substance in the supplement should even be on the prohibited list given some apparent scientific evidence on its effects.

So if that's true, it's not a matter of the substance not being on the list. His lawyers are arguing that it shouldn't be on the list, because it's not actually performance-enhancing (or something along those lines). I'd think that wouldn't really matter, and it'd be an "if it's on the list, it's on the list" situation.

Offline WanderingRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The provisional 30 day suspension has just expired hasn't it? They technically lifted anything they just have decided not to ban him further pending this investigation they're apparently carrying out.

That's how I've understood it anyway

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
"Uefa have now opted to initiate a separate investigation to establish if the slimming pills do indeed contain illegal substances."

Seems like we may have jumped the gun a bit here.

Where was this quote from mate? It seems to be at the crux of the issue as it appears that he must have tested positive for something. The slimming pills are not on the UEFA list, but the substance(s) he tested positive for is/are on the list. Which gives rise to a variety of possible scenarios;

- the slimming pills have been adulterated
- something else he ingested was adulterated
- he knowingly took something he shouldn't have done
- he unknowingly took something he shouldn't have done
- the tests were wrong
- the list is wrong
- UEFA are a bunch of c*nts

I know where I would place my bet.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
The provisional 30 day suspension has just expired hasn't it? They technically lifted anything they just have decided not to ban him further pending this investigation they're apparently carrying out.

That's how I've understood it anyway

Yep.

But just guessing i would say hes in the clear as he is technically eligible now to play in their flagship international tournament. If charges were going to follow surely they would just extend this holding ban.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!

Don't take credit! It was the cat's doing all along. Poor critter, it looks so exhausted...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Where was this quote from mate? It seems to be at the crux of the issue as it appears that he must have tested positive for something. The slimming pills are not on the UEFA list, but the substance(s) he tested positive for is/are on the list. Which gives rise to a variety of possible scenarios;

- the slimming pills have been adulterated
- something else he ingested was adulterated
- he knowingly took something he shouldn't have done
- he unknowingly took something he shouldn't have done
- the tests were wrong
- the list is wrong
- UEFA are a bunch of c*nts

I know where I would place my bet.

The tests may be wrong....

Some molecules are "chiral". They have left and right handed forms..

They may have chemically different effects on the body.  However, they may test identically to the other form.

One of many possible explanations for what has happened.

I had a mate at university who tested falsely positive for speed for this reason.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Result.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
Best news we have had for a while..
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the summary, but I still don't understand how Sakho can test positive for something that isn't banned.
Since he didn't ask for the second test to be analyzed, I guess he's not disputing that the substance was in his body.
But if the substance wasn't on the list, why did Liverpool choose to suspend him rather than challenge Uefa?

I thought there was a list of banned substances, and that was it. Either the substance is on the list, or it's not on the list. How are athletes supposed to adhere to a list otherwise?

Yeah, which is why I'm a little less optimistic than others on here about all of this.

Sakho has tested positive for something - and I'd imagine that it must have to be reported at the time to either Sakho himself, the club, or both what the substance in question was.

If it was a simple as that substance not being on the list of banned items then surely the club or the player could have contested this more immediately and far more strongly? Sakho didn't contest the initial charge at all.

If the argument is now that the test was inaccurate and that no illegal substance was found, then I'd imagine he would be let off. However we haven't heard anything to that effect.

If the argument (as has been reported by several sources) is that the substance found shouldn't be illegal - well then I think it gets much murkier. At the end of the day, as someone above has said, if it's on the list, it's on the list, and if there is evidence that it was in Sakho's system I'd expect that he'll be banned anyway, regardless of whether or not it should be.

Online MH41

• Kopite
Many posters are stating that he would not have made a difference in the Europa League Final, but what about the 5 League games that he missed? He may have made a difference to us qualifying for Europe through that route as well?

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
I think UEFA should make everyone eat cream buns in their training camps to make it equal.

;D ;D ;D
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I know people are saying it would of made no difference with Sakho playing or not but you just don't know that. We might of been able to build attacks better, he might of got his head on a set piece. I mean any decision he would of taken just once that was different to Toure could of altered the game.

If he is cleared it's a real shame to his personal profile, his reputation has been damaged

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
So Sakho's lawyers have raised some doubt/questions, he's now, sorta, on bail but he could still be convicted anyway, depending on further tests and/or legal arguments?

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
I know people are saying it would of made no difference with Sakho playing or not but you just don't know that. We might of been able to build attacks better, he might of got his head on a set piece. I mean any decision he would of taken just once that was different to Toure could of altered the game.
Would have or would've
Might have or might've
Could have or could've.

Sorry mate, just a pet gripe!

I should of just ignored it ;D

Carry on...

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
if it's on the list, it's on the list, and if there is evidence that it was in Sakho's system I'd expect that he'll be banned anyway, regardless of whether or not it should be.
This makes zero sense. Potential new findings prove that a certain substance is not actually performance enhancing which changes everything but then lets ban him anyway. I hope instead of this there`ll be people on that Uefa board with common sense who don`t follow this insane logic.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:18:57 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
FFS, what an amateursih, half-assed approach to anti-doping. Ban the player, then find out if he doped or not. How would the end of Liverpool's season have gone had Sahko been available?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
FFS, what an amateursih, half-assed approach to anti-doping. Ban the player, then find out if he doped or not. How would the end of Liverpool's season have gone had Sahko been available?
The same
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Is it possible that when Uefa updated it's list last year, to comply with new WADA guidelines that this substance had been removed by WADA from their list so therefore shouldn't have been on Uefas list??

Seems logical, as these lists are constantly being changed when new scientific info/evidence comes to light.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
This makes zero sense. Potential new findings prove that a certain substance is not actually performance enhancing which changes everything but then lets ban him anyway. I hope instead of this there`ll be people on that Uefa board with common sense who don`t follow this insane logic.

Is it just performance enhancers that are banned? Aren't a number of substances banned because they can act as a masking agent?

That said, I'm a bit confused. I thought the original report in L'Equipe said that the substance was not on the list. However, if it is on the list, I don't see why they are not continuing the ban until the investigation is over.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Is it possible that when Uefa updated it's list last year, to comply with new WADA guidelines that this substance had been removed by WADA from their list so therefore shouldn't have been on Uefas list??

Seems logical, as these lists are constantly being changed when new scientific info/evidence comes to light.

That makes sense. Do we know what substance he was using, and, more importantly, does it work?
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan

How is it insane logic?

Go to a state in the US where weed is still illegal and spark up in a public place - when the police officer comes to arrest you, just kindly explain that weed is scientifically proven to be far less harmful than alcohol and tobacco and point out that that's one of the reasons it's now been legalised in certain other states. Maybe the police officer agrees with you, maybe he thinks that in 6 months time the laws may well change. Guess what? He's still gonna arrest you and it's still going on record, because you broke the rules.

Why can a sportsperson be banned for 2 years for taking a banned substance they had absolutely no idea they had even ingested? Because the governing bodies take the view that it is each person's responsibility to ensure that they comply with the rules and don't take any banned substances. So if indeed Sakho has tested positive for a banned substance (likely completely unintentionally) why would they let him off on the basis that well, he thinks the substance wasn't actually performance enhancing therefore there should be no issue?

It doesn't work that way. Whatever the substance was may well be completely innocuous and in no way performance enhancing, but if it's on the list of BANNED substances and you take it (intentionally or unintentionally) then there is a pretty good chance you'll be banned.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That makes sense. Do we know what substance he was using, and, more importantly, does it work?

Don't think they've ever released the name of it, it's always been reported as fat burners or slimming pills.

It just seems weird that his defense was it shouldn't be on the list and now they're investigating why it was or if it should be.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
He was positive for something that is banned it`s just that Sakho`s team seem to have proof it shouldn`t be banned. And by lifting his suspension it seems Uefa agrees with them.
OK, so something might be on the list that shouldn't be there?
Incredible if it's true. What a mess.
And a couple of days before the euro squad deadline.

Offline georgiejones

• Kopite

Is that the fruit flavoured toffos or the normal

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
Uefa incompetent as usual.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
For now he's got a lifeline and there's some hope he will be able to play for us again, let's just wait and see how the rest of it unfolds and what findings UEFA make in looking at whatever scientific evidence that Sakho and his lawyers have presented.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
OK, so something might be on the list that shouldn't be there?
Incredible if it's true. What a mess.
And a couple of days before the euro squad deadline.

As someone suggested earlier, could be something that has been removed from the WADA list but was still on the UEFA one. But we don't know and won't know until something concrete comes out.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
Is that the fruit flavoured toffos or the normal

I was gonna say the mint ones, but you could end up bulimic with all that mint. Plain is best I reckon.

Online MH41

• Kopite
Don't think they've ever released the name of it, it's always been reported as fat burners or slimming pills.

And this is what I have found extremely strange about the situation, right from the start.
Usually there will be an announcement that 'sample A was found to have traces of the banned substance X'. It was simply referred to as a fat burner, and over 1 month later, we are no clearer to what the 'substance'was.
I have found the whole issue, bizarre from the start.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Is it just performance enhancers that are banned? Aren't a number of substances banned because they can act as a masking agent?

That said, I'm a bit confused. I thought the original report in L'Equipe said that the substance was not on the list. However, if it is on the list, I don't see why they are not continuing the ban until the investigation is over.

I posted the list of banned substances, which is very extensive and the guidance from UEFA to players. It lists substances by their types and effects including masking agents. None of our players should be taking anything that's not been approved by the club doctor.

People are making assumptions based on third hand reports. The L'equipe report said that his lawyers had said the substance shouldn't be on the list, which is not the same as not on the list.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
At work so cant really go through the thread but what have I missed? If somebody can kindly fill me in I would appreciate it.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
...But we don't know and won't know until something concrete comes out.

Exactly.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
At work so cant really go through the thread but what have I missed? If somebody can kindly fill me in I would appreciate it.

Sakho's 30 day ban from UEFA has ended and will not be extended.

His team argued that the substance he took should not be on UEFA's list.

There will be a hearing next week.

(Other than that, it's all speculation and conjecture with some tin foil hat stuff about UEFA conspiracies and all sorts of opinions expressed from people who still have no idea what has gone on or will happen next.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
How is it insane logic?

Go to a state in the US where weed is still illegal and spark up in a public place - when the police officer comes to arrest you, just kindly explain that weed is scientifically proven to be far less harmful than alcohol and tobacco and point out that that's one of the reasons it's now been legalised in certain other states. Maybe the police officer agrees with you, maybe he thinks that in 6 months time the laws may well change. Guess what? He's still gonna arrest you and it's still going on record, because you broke the rules.

Why can a sportsperson be banned for 2 years for taking a banned substance they had absolutely no idea they had even ingested? Because the governing bodies take the view that it is each person's responsibility to ensure that they comply with the rules and don't take any banned substances. So if indeed Sakho has tested positive for a banned substance (likely completely unintentionally) why would they let him off on the basis that well, he thinks the substance wasn't actually performance enhancing therefore there should be no issue?

It doesn't work that way. Whatever the substance was may well be completely innocuous and in no way performance enhancing, but if it's on the list of BANNED substances and you take it (intentionally or unintentionally) then there is a pretty good chance you'll be banned.

Correct. And the reason is obvious if people stop to think about it. Anti-doping is not there to catch people for things they didn't do. And we know that people do dope and will go to great lengths to get away with it.

If you allow wiggle room then the real dopers will use it to get off when they're caught.

Ignorance is not a defence because the anti-doping people at UEFA go to great lengths to explain the rules.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline An Ex-Pessimistic Monkey Spanker

• As optimistic as his last post and climax. Statistical and analytical studies of Actual Or Potential Girlfriends reveal.......probably fuck all......we're sure he'd gopher one though.....thinks this profile belongs to him.
  • Anny Roader
  • I love whining about my profile being tweaked!
    • Statistician Mother Ship
Sounds like what has happened up to now was negligence, but whatever happens after may not be.

Clearly UEFA has an interest in making themselves look not totally incompetent now. Do you really expect them to say "oops we made a mistake that cost Sakho and Liverpool his availability in our competition's championship game"?

Regardless of how this turns out, Sakho and the club should already have the lawsuit drafted. I don't even know how you quantify the potential damage this has caused. How much is Klopp getting the club back into the Champions League in year 0 worth? How much is that marketability worth, how much is that carrot to attract players worth? 100 million? At least that I'd say. See what they're willing to offer to avoid court, because there's no doubt they screwed up here, one way or another.

It would be unbelievable if it wasn't UEFA. It's totally believable. FIFA is corrupt, but UEFA is just incompetent -- incompetent referees, incompetent administrators.

I feel like Sakho and the club had something stolen from them. No doubt in my mind Sakho makes a huge difference just like he did against Dortmund. The attack is a lot different with him making the first pass into and sometimes through midfield.
Battling Hodgson-esque Stone Agers since 2016!

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
So even though he failed a drug test for a banned substance, he might be let off because the banned substance shouldn't have been banned in the first place?
Am I getting it right?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
Argh, these conspiracy theories and 'everyone hates us' attitude is fucking embarrassing. If you go on any other message board ever you will see opposite fans saying the same thing about their teams. Let's knock it off, eh?

UEFA are a rotten, corrupt organisation. But there is very, very little reason to think they would do this to Sakho 'on purpose' just to harm us. It's just one of those things, and, yes, I hope Sakho sue the fuck out of them. But let's not make this into another paranoid meltdown.

It is quite serious that a player should have this happen to him. He missed out on an European final and may very well have missed out on the Euros. Absolute clusterfuck and should not be taken lightly at all.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio