Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 1012007 times)

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #43680 on: February 6, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
Speaking about OT, there was a team recently (last two or three seasons probably) that won the coin toss in OT, but chose to kick it first and then lost without ever getting their offense on the field. Who was that? I'm thinking Colts, but could be wrong...
That was the Patriots when we lost to the Jets back in 2015   ;D

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream
  • Believer
  • Five Times, Baby...
« Reply #43681 on: February 6, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »

;D

Surprised by that. I always had it in my mind as one of those crazy Chuck Pagano decisions... ;)

Offline mc_red22

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43682 on: February 6, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »
I don't get why the Falcons would opt to kick when they were unable to stop the Patriots in the second half.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #43683 on: February 6, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
;D

Surprised by that. I always had it in my mind as one of those crazy Chuck Pagano decisions... ;)
Everyone thought the Hoodie had gone mad  ;D Either that or Matthew Slater went on a jolly of his own and deferred at the coin toss.

It was down out of sympathy for the poor poor Jets  ;D

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43684 on: February 6, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
It's a valid comment and certainly a rule that requires some discussion and scrutiny at the owners meetings this off-season with regards to future rule changes.
I think the problem is just how long could a game go on for and the effect it could have on players
Also any team opting to take the ball 2nd would have a unfair advantage as well.
team going first would punt on 3rd and long but if they knew they had to score a touchdown they would go for 4 and 30 if they knew they had to score.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've have been fooled" Mark Twain on Brexit.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truthiness
« Reply #43685 on: February 6, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »
I don't get why the Falcons would opt to kick when they were unable to stop the Patriots in the second half.

Do you mean at the start of OT?  Pats won the toss and elected to receive.

Stat I read this morning was that the Falcons offense only ran 46 plays - the lowest team total in a SB for over 40 years. Pats ran 93 - and the Atlanta defense, especially their up-to-then brilliant front 4 - were totally gassed.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Believer
« Reply #43686 on: February 6, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
It's the next day and I still can't believe Atlanta didn't run the ball 3 times with 4 minutes left to win the superbowl

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Believer
  • feck off
« Reply #43687 on: February 6, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »

Stat I read this morning was that the Falcons offense only ran 46 plays - the lowest team total in a SB for over 40 years. Pats ran 93 - and the Atlanta defense, especially their up-to-then brilliant front 4 - were totally gassed.

in the second half it felt like it as well. the atlanta offence must have been bored rigid just sitting there watching the game.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...
  • Believer
  • allright, then..
« Reply #43688 on: February 6, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Got up about an hour ago, still can't quite believe what happened! :o

Will have to rewatch it to let it sink in.

Offline skipper757

• Believer
« Reply #43689 on: February 6, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »

Never forget the look of confusion on Matthew Slater's face!

King Kenny.

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43690 on: February 6, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »

Very interesting,you just knew NE were going to not only score but score the 2pt conversion to level the game, i was putting it down to Adrenalin at the time, as you say Atlanta defense just exhausted
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've have been fooled" Mark Twain on Brexit.

Offline skipper757

• Believer
« Reply #43691 on: February 6, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
Very interesting,you just knew NE were going to not only score but score the 2pt conversion to level the game, i was putting it down to Adrenalin at the time, as you say Atlanta defense just exhausted

I think even down 28-12, the Pats at that point had way more plays, yards, and time of possession.  It was actually pretty eye-opening.  The fact that the Falcons offered little resistance the rest of the way would certainly point to their defense being gassed.

Which is all the more infuriating for the Falcons since they averaged almost 6 yards a carry.  They just couldn't bleed that clock.
King Kenny.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Believer
  • feck off
« Reply #43692 on: February 6, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
NE time of possession    40:31
ATL time of possession    23:27

yep. felt like it too.

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43693 on: February 6, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
I think even down 28-12, the Pats at that point had way more plays, yards, and time of possession.  It was actually pretty eye-opening.  The fact that the Falcons offered little resistance the rest of the way would certainly point to their defense being gassed.

Which is all the more infuriating for the Falcons since they averaged almost 6 yards a carry.  They just couldn't bleed that clock.
Not necessarily, it's not so much about how many plays, it's when a team runs and run the ball and keep getting the first downs,that's the real killer but Atlanta were obviously tired, NE  were obviously hyped.Adrenalin kicked in against a deflated Atlanta defense.

Offline skipper757

• Believer
« Reply #43694 on: February 6, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Not necessarily, it's not so much about how many plays, it's when a team runs and run the ball and keep getting the first downs,that's the real killer but Atlanta were obviously tired, NE  were obviously hyped.Adrenalin kicked in against a deflated Atlanta defense.

True.  At 28-9 or 28-12, the ToP and plays/yards stats weren't too damning as the Falcons had some quick strike drives early and will still have multiple opportunities to seal it.  But missed opportunities time and time again (after the onside kick, Falcons had the ball at the NE 32 yard line before a penalty and sack.  They, of course, repeated the trick later) took its toll.  At 28-20, the defense was really feeling it, and that drive had TD written all over it, especially with Edelman's catch.  At 28-26, the defense was shook from the long touchdown drive they just gave up in addition to their fatigue.  The 2-pt seemed inevitable.

Also give the Pats credit, Tom Brady at the goal-line is an incredible challenge for a defense no matter what the situation.  Though the play did have an air of inevitability about it.  Overall, the Pats moved the ball with ease and a huge part of it was the d-line not having the energy to get consistent pressure like they did before.  I think the play discrepancy was surprising but not too crazy at 28-9 and 28-12, but the Falcons' inability to get anything going made things snowball real fast.  Up 28-9, it shouldn't really matter your defense had been on the field longer (they were getting some stops too), but when your offense consistently stalls (other than 2 nice plays to Freeman and Julio), everything piled up.

Falcons offense was high-octane but very ineffective in trying to seal the game.  Must be immensely frustrating and sad for any Falcons fan.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2017, 02:35:29 PM by skipper757 »
King Kenny.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Believer
« Reply #43695 on: February 6, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
I'm still baffled at what the Falcons did,everyone who wasn't a Pats fan last night was in unison screaming at the tv to run the god damn ball.

After that i said to my other half who's a Yank (Colts fan and huge Pats hater) that i wanted the Pats to win after that just to show ineptitude of the Falcons coaching team,no team deserves a second chance at glory to win a superbowl with a clusterfuck like that.

My Giants robbed the Pats of 2 victories,and the Pats won 2 superbowls on teams who refused to run the ball with the trophy within their grasp.

Guess it evens out.

Tom Brady what can you say,he's like Jordan and Jeter in the  heat of the playoffs,clutch when it matters.
"The LFC family at the moment is a little bit too nervous, a little bit too pessimistic, a little bit too often in doubt, they celebrate the game, its a great atmosphere...but they dont believe,My message to Liverpool supporters, we have to change from doubter to believer" Jurgen Klopp 09/10/15

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
    • Some statistics
« Reply #43696 on: February 6, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »
I think the problem is just how long could a game go on for and the effect it could have on players
Also any team opting to take the ball 2nd would have a unfair advantage as well.
team going first would punt on 3rd and long but if they knew they had to score a touchdown they would go for 4 and 30 if they knew they had to score.

It seems to work just fine in college. Each team gets an equal number of possessions, with each possession starting from the opponent's 25 yard line.
DAMMIT!

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43697 on: February 6, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
It seems to work just fine in college. Each team gets an equal number of possessions, with each possession starting from the opponent's 25 yard line.
Yeah I follow college football and it's a great idea,you wonder why they dont use it as they obviously know about it.

Offline Statto Red

• Believer
  • Kloppite
« Reply #43698 on: February 6, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
For me overtime rules should be, both teams get 1 possession each regardless if a TD is scored, then sudden death if he teams are still tied, like last night[well early this morning for most of us watching in the UK ;)] after the Pats scored the TD, the Falcons would have had a possession until the drive ended or if Falcons scored a TD & tied the game, then have sudden death.

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43699 on: February 6, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
True.  At 28-9 or 28-12, the ToP and plays/yards stats weren't too damning as the Falcons had some quick strike drives early and will still have multiple opportunities to seal it.  But missed opportunities time and time again (after the onside kick, Falcons had the ball at the NE 32 yard line before a penalty and sack.  They, of course, repeated the trick later) took its toll.  At 28-20, the defense was really feeling it, and that drive had TD written all over it, especially with Edelman's catch.  At 28-26, the defense was shook from the long touchdown drive they just gave up in addition to their fatigue.  The 2-pt seemed inevitable.

Also give the Pats credit, Tom Brady at the goal-line is an incredible challenge for a defense no matter what the situation.  Though the play did have an air of inevitability about it.  Overall, the Pats moved the ball with ease and a huge part of it was the d-line not having the energy to get consistent pressure like they did before.  I think the play discrepancy was surprising but not too crazy at 28-9 and 28-12, but the Falcons' inability to get anything going made things snowball real fast.  Up 28-9, it shouldn't really matter your defense had been on the field longer (they were getting some stops too), but when your offense consistently stalls (other than 2 nice plays to Freeman and Julio), everything piled up.

Falcons offense was high-octane but very ineffective in trying to seal the game.  Must be immensely frustrating and sad for any Falcons fan.
Yeah, I should have said It's not all about the amount of plays rather than its not about the amount of plays as it was a big point you made.
Yeah, NE got some of the breaks as well. the Elderman catch was crazy, Bradys first throw on the 2yrd line in OT looked like getting intercepted for a second, so many little things just went their way. having said that,it always the same for top teams they just seem to get it done.
I always decide my bets for the NFL at the end of the season while the teams are fresh in my mind rather than thinking about it in September, at half time I thought Atlanta next yr,young team and they will take some stopping,changed my mind after the NE comeback but maybe a bit hasty. the defense was knackered and the play calling and possession stats had a lot to do with it. so Atlanta will be my NFC choice.same with NE for AFC. could be a rematch next year, I would put my money on Atlanta right now.not with great confidence though :)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #43700 on: February 6, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »
If you don't get the game management right, then you're not going to win the big matches.

When you are 28-3 up in a ball game, there's no way you should lose from that position, it's not like the Falcons are a poor team either.  They didn't manage the clock whatsoever and paid the ultimate price.

Offline ALPH1217

• Believer
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #43701 on: February 6, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
The Pats have benefited from senseless play-calling by the opposition in this Super Bowl and the one 2 years ago. The Seattle decision at the goal line is arguably the most idiotic call in NFL history with so much on the line. Yesterday we saw a team decide to throw the ball on second down for some reason when a short FG attempt (if made) wins them a Super Bowl. Mind boggling.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
« Reply #43702 on: February 6, 2017, 03:42:14 PM »
The Pats have benefited from senseless play-calling by the opposition in this Super Bowl and the one 2 years ago. The Seattle decision at the goal line is arguably the most idiotic call in NFL history with so much on the line. Yesterday we saw a team decide to throw the ball on second down for some reason when a short FG attempt (if made) wins them a Super Bowl. Mind boggling.

You take what you get, you adjust, you win. Considering what happened against the Giants twice in the two superbowls, ill take this every single time.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #43703 on: February 6, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
Just watched the Divisional and Championship games so onto a re-run of the Super Bowl  ;D

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43704 on: February 6, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »
I went berserk after that play, fuming, thought they lost their senses just trying to be too clever, just run the ball in, I wouldn't mind but if Wilson had glanced to his left he would have seen Marshawn Lynch standing alone at the back of end zone completely unmarked

Online Giovanni

• Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Believer
« Reply #43705 on: February 6, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
all those flags on NEP failed 3rd downs too certainly wouldn't have helped

Offline mc_red22

• Believer
« Reply #43706 on: February 6, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »

Well the person I was talking to about the game this morning is talking shit then. He told me they opted to kick.

Offline ALPH1217

• Believer
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #43707 on: February 6, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Well the person I was talking to about the game this morning is talking shit then. He told me they opted to kick.
Atlanta won the coin toss at the beginning of the game and elected to kick off.

Offline oldfordie

• Believer
« Reply #43708 on: February 6, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »
Yeah same as out football really, NE won the Toss,they could have made Atlanta take the ball first,they chose rightly to have the ball first,Atlanta then chose which end they would face.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Believer
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 18 & 5
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #43709 on: February 6, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »
Happyiest. Hangover. Ever

Rest in Peace Samee

YNWA

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #43710 on: February 6, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #43711 on: February 6, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
Reckon this Deion Jones could be a more explosive linebacker than Luke Keuchley next year.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truthiness
« Reply #43712 on: February 6, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »
Reckon this Deion Jones could be a more explosive linebacker than Luke Keuchley next year.

Robert Mays had him as his sneaky MVP before the game. He's really good.

Mad stats: That was Brady's first Pick 6 in a playoff game, ever.
No team has ever conceded a pick 6 in a SB and still won.

Great pictures of the crazy Edelman catch on the MMQB Here 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Believer
« Reply #43713 on: February 6, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »

Hadn't seen much of him before this playoffs run, but I have to say I was really impressed with him in the last couple of games. Very fast, rangy in coverage and showed good instincts against the running game too. He sank with the rest of the ship in the 4th and in OT, but no defence can contain Brady for 90+plays in a game, Falcons defence were just gassed at the end.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #43714 on: February 6, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Hadn't seen much of him before this playoffs run, but I have to say I was really impressed with him in the last couple of games. Very fast, rangy in coverage and showed good instincts against the running game too. He sank with the rest of the ship in the 4th and in OT, but no defence can contain Brady for 90+plays in a game, Falcons defence were just gassed at the end.
I watched a fair bit of him when he was at LSU in college but even a year ago when he declared for the draft he looked a little raw to me, but he has potential to be the best in the game from what I saw of the Falcons last few regular season games and in their playoff run.

Looks a better prospect than Ryan Shazier at Pittsburgh in my opinion.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #43715 on: February 6, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #43717 on: February 6, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
YES Come on you PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Staying up to watch it and going to work the next morning was totally worth it!

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Believer
« Reply #43718 on: February 6, 2017, 07:00:52 PM »
Was one of those nights where its a privilege to watch a certain sporting event live. when you stay up till half 3 watching a superbowl i always say you want value fir your money in the form of a massive moment. Whether its manningham, butler, holmes, tyree. That edelman catch is up there. Brilliant
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Believer
  • I am not!
« Reply #43719 on: February 6, 2017, 07:03:33 PM »
Was one of those nights where its a privilege to watch a certain sporting event live. when you stay up till half 3 watching a superbowl i always say you want value fir your money in the form of a massive moment. Whether its manningham, butler, holmes, tyree. That edelman catch is up there. Brilliant
Don't forget the Chris Matthews catch back in 2015  ;D