Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 2993615 times)

Online fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leicester season ticket holder
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #64560 on: November 14, 2020, 09:51:52 pm »

Looks good until you take the mask off and then it's.

Charlie Adam’s skeleton is fatter than that
Trent is pretty poor at free kicks. Said it for a long time. One decent free kick a few years ago and the commentators think he's Beckham

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64561 on: November 14, 2020, 10:47:23 pm »
The only person other than Fordy supporting Brook is Amir Khan.  ;D

Offline cornishscouser92

• Believer
« Reply #64562 on: November 14, 2020, 10:58:35 pm »
This women's triple title fight on Sky has been very good
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64563 on: November 14, 2020, 11:05:41 pm »
Gutierrez got a great chin

Offline Al 666

• "I haven't got a clue." 23/03/2020......Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • JFT 96
« Reply #64564 on: November 14, 2020, 11:18:01 pm »
Just love watching the footwork of Taylor, exceptional. Needs to get this over with though.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64565 on: November 14, 2020, 11:18:51 pm »
She's gassed. Needs one big round to finish it

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64566 on: November 14, 2020, 11:32:45 pm »
Taylor wins by Unanimous Decision.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64567 on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:45 pm »
Taylor wins by Unanimous Decision.

Can't believe one judge gave one round to Gutierrez.

Talk about Cris Cyborg in a cross promotional Boxing match I'm not sure about though.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64568 on: November 14, 2020, 11:38:23 pm »
Cross sport contamination bound to happen mate. Those UFC lot all want to do boxing, they just weren't good enough.  ;D

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #64569 on: November 14, 2020, 11:44:08 pm »
Yeah well I didn't get sick on myself on the ferry to the Aran Islands so 1-0 to me Katie.

She was super nice in fairness :D
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Al 666

• "I haven't got a clue." 23/03/2020......Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • JFT 96
« Reply #64570 on: November 15, 2020, 12:24:34 am »
Cross sport contamination bound to happen mate. Those UFC lot all want to do boxing, they just weren't good enough.  ;D

It is amazing how many athletes come to boxing after excelling in another discipline. Probably the example best is Audley Harrison who came to boxing after a career in pacifism.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #64571 on: November 15, 2020, 12:37:26 am »
Brook is Crawford's best opponent to date. I know i'm notoriously bad at predictions on here but I'm not wriitng Brook offhere
He's not though. Postol and Benavidez are far better than this version of Brook as was Gamboa. This is a shot version of Brook. If he pulls this off, it's the biggest upset in years. It would be a modern, Poundland version of Turpin against Sugar Ray. Crawford ain't Sugar Ray and Brook sure ain't Turpin but it would be a monster upset.

I forgot Bud pasted Khan in 6 😁
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:39:31 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64572 on: November 15, 2020, 12:40:38 am »
It is amazing how many athletes come to boxing after excelling in another discipline. Probably the example best is Audley Harrison who came to boxing after a career in pacifism.

;D

On fire in this thread Al.

Offline I am new

• t gingrich's reincarnated soul
  • Kopite
  • JFT 96 YNWA
« Reply #64573 on: November 15, 2020, 12:40:55 am »
Any streams for tonight please?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer

Offline spartan2785

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #64575 on: November 15, 2020, 04:30:51 am »
Man, just saw the end of that Franco-Maloney fight, disgusting to see how boxing robs fighters, not a single headbutt to the right eye, and they simply lie in order to either rob the fighter or save face for the referee, what is the point of replay if you can't see the obvious.

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64576 on: November 15, 2020, 04:50:41 am »
Man, just saw the end of that Franco-Maloney fight, disgusting to see how boxing robs fighters, not a single headbutt to the right eye, and they simply lie in order to either rob the fighter or save face for the referee, what is the point of replay if you can't see the obvious.

That was a joke mate. It just reminded me of VAR not overturning the decision the ref made. Shameful.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64577 on: November 15, 2020, 05:05:37 am »
Through 3

Brook 29 Crawford 28

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64578 on: November 15, 2020, 05:07:05 am »
Welllll..

Good win but ref stepped in a little early for me

Brook was doing well (look at Terence's eye) but crawford was clinical as hell

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:23:27 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #64579 on: November 15, 2020, 05:14:04 am »
Brook was in the fight, but Crawford didn’t mess around getting him out of there.

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
« Reply #64580 on: November 15, 2020, 05:15:31 am »
Brook was doing OK then bang. I thought he stopped it too soon but it would have ended the same way if it carried on.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #64581 on: November 15, 2020, 05:29:01 am »
He definitely got Crawfords respect, switched up and hit Brook with a shot he didn’t see

Looking forward to Spence Garcia now, some good fights coming up

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64582 on: November 15, 2020, 05:30:57 am »
No real complaints about the stoppage, Brook didn’t have much of a clue where he was at that point. It’s a shame as he was doing well but soon as Crawford turned on the pressure it was over. Fordy, hope you’re alright mate :(
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64583 on: November 15, 2020, 05:37:36 am »
Crawford is a proper switch hitter of the Hagler mode. Different level to the Ingles

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64584 on: November 15, 2020, 07:02:44 am »
Stoppage looked a bit soft, but I bet if you looked into Brook's eyes there'd be no one home.

Good to see boxing's version of VAR is just as useless. What the fuck was Bob Arum doing getting involved? Don't think it went the way he wanted anyway, but no way he should be able to get involved.

Offline I've been a good boy.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #64585 on: November 15, 2020, 08:21:04 am »
Also thought the stoppage came too quick but the ref must've had Brook's eye in mind and stopped it early for his sake. Pretty much confirms that Brook is done at the top level. Maybe he can go back to fighting Latvian electricians twice a year at Sheffield Arena.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • JFT96.
« Reply #64586 on: November 15, 2020, 10:54:51 am »
Also thought the stoppage came too quick but the ref must've had Brook's eye in mind and stopped it early for his sake. Pretty much confirms that Brook is done at the top level. Maybe he can go back to fighting Latvian electricians twice a year at Sheffield Arena.

His best win is against who, Shawn Porter? And that was pretty close. Kell is tough and loves a challenge but he's never been an elite fighter IMO. Very easy to say after the fact but every time he's stepped up he's done well to a degree but never quite been up to it.

Retirement now, surely? He could go up again in weight but to fight who?

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #64587 on: November 15, 2020, 11:04:08 am »
Moving up and down the weights hasn't done Kell's career any good but he was a world champion who's only lost to elite level guys so hopefully he'll have a good think about his future now.

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64588 on: November 15, 2020, 11:05:07 am »
Kell was concerning Crawford at the start and it was always going to be interesting to see what happens when Crawford lands a decent punch.

Kell is finished and this is why I am shock Khan is running away from that fight.

As for Crawford he is a class act but needs to fight Spence now. That fight needs to be made if Spence beats Garcia.

Offline Welshred

• To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #64589 on: November 15, 2020, 11:06:22 am »
Doesn't matter how much Kell troubled Crawford Khan still last longer than him Fordy ;)

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64590 on: November 15, 2020, 11:10:01 am »
Really hard to judge Brook's career because you'll never know what would have happened had he not committed suicide against GGG. I thought Porter was a 147lb Mike Tyson at the time Brook beat him but time has put that win in perspective.

He's missing a top tier name on his CV and Porter is the only tier 2 name on there. From Porter down it's a long way to his next best name. No harm in losing to the names he has lost to, but he hasn't really beat anyone either.

Offline Legs

• Kopite
« Reply #64591 on: November 15, 2020, 11:15:10 am »
As I said the other day he has one cashout fight left does Khan want it ?

Being honest it is a pointless fight now there is no world title on the line.

It is hard to judge Brook as all 3 defeats are to elite boxers id say he is a good boxer not a great one.

Crawford will beat Spence imo too.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64592 on: November 15, 2020, 01:02:36 pm »
While I thought the stoppage came a little early it was the right decision as Crawford would've stopped him within the next round or two.

Only fight left for Kell is Amir Khan and vice versa.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #64593 on: November 15, 2020, 01:42:24 pm »
Just like another Hatton Witter isn’t it. Should have fought but their ego’s won’t allow it

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #64594 on: November 15, 2020, 02:16:52 pm »
Really hard to judge Brook's career because you'll never know what would have happened had he not committed suicide against GGG. I thought Porter was a 147lb Mike Tyson at the time Brook beat him but time has put that win in perspective.

He's missing a top tier name on his CV and Porter is the only tier 2 name on there. From Porter down it's a long way to his next best name. No harm in losing to the names he has lost to, but he hasn't really beat anyone either.
Perhaps, but he was 36 fights into his career at that stage. I doubt he would have fought many top WW contenders even if he remained in his lane so to speak. When looking at a career, you need to look at the top 5 wins at least, if not more, to gauge the quality of opposition. Looking at Brook's record, it is pretty bad. Something like:

Shawn Porter
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Lovemore Ndou (MILES past his peak)
Carson Jones
Frankie Gavin

That's pretty grim.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64595 on: November 15, 2020, 02:37:45 pm »
Fordy would  even make Kell's top 10 for fucks sake.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64596 on: November 15, 2020, 02:38:05 pm »
Perhaps, but he was 36 fights into his career at that stage. I doubt he would have fought many top WW contenders even if he remained in his lane so to speak. When looking at a career, you need to look at the top 5 wins at least, if not more, to gauge the quality of opposition. Looking at Brook's record, it is pretty bad. Something like:

Shawn Porter
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Carson Jones
Frankie Gavin

That's pretty grim.

Yeah it's not great when you look at it like that.

I suppose the real question we'll always have is; what would his career have looked like in a world where Amir Khan didn't exist? I think the JoJo Dan/Frankie Gavin phase of his career might look different because he was in a holding pattern waiting for that fight to come off. Then he only fought GGG to one up Khan when he took Canelo.

It's happened to too many British fighters, and I really hope we're not having this conversation about Callum Smith in a few years.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Believer
« Reply #64597 on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:39 pm »
Just like another Hatton Witter isn’t it. Should have fought but their ego’s won’t allow it

Some of the arguments on boxing forums I was on at that time were crazy about Hatton-Witter.  Put Fordy to shame.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #64598 on: November 15, 2020, 08:56:27 pm »
Tyson Fury has abandoned plans to fight in London on 5 December. He says he's not going to return to the ring until 2021.

https://bbc.in/38JLYO7

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Believer
« Reply #64599 on: November 15, 2020, 11:34:42 pm »

Shawn Porter
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Carson Jones
Frankie Gavin

That's pretty grim.

I think that's a slightly harsh way of looking at it. For me up to 2014 he did what any boxer would do working up to a world title and took fights that he could win in a fairly straightforward manner whilst getting himself up the rankings. He then won the title against Porter who is and was a genuine world level fighter. That win was his 11th professional fight. If you skip forward a couple of years to 2016 to date, he's had 3 losses against elite fighters (one of whom he had no business being in with weightwise, one of whom he for me stayed competitive with till his eye went and the other maybe being the #1 pound for pound fighter in the world at the moment) with tune-up fights in between.

As was suggested above it is that 2014-16 period that makes his record seem so shallow. He was hanging on for the big money fight with Khan and dodging the banana skins. I think if that pot of gold hadn't been on the horizon he would have had a really good chance of defending his title against legitimate contenders that would have looked much better on his record.

As others have said above - it's a cautionary tale for Callum Smith.

As an aside is it still him and DeGale the last two British boxers to win world titles in the US?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:58:33 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »