Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 2492014 times)

Offline Samie

• Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60560 on: June 24, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
Usyk as great as he is lads is a smaller Heavyweight compared to the big dogs, had he been in this division 10-15 years ago, he'd have cleaned it up.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60561 on: June 24, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
Usyk as great as he is lads is a smaller Heavyweight compared to the big dogs, had he been in this division 10-15 years ago, he'd have cleaned it up.

He's still 6'3" though so not a midget by any means. Taller than Andt Ruiz for example (although weight is a different story ;D)

He's the boxing equivalent of Shay Given!

Offline Samie

• Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60562 on: June 24, 2019, 03:33:31 PM »
 ;D

Also it tells you all you need to know how a lad who's never fought at the weight has become the #1 contender.  Did Dillon Whyte fuck all the president's wives?  ;D

Offline gwalk

• Kopite
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60563 on: June 24, 2019, 03:38:26 PM »
;D

Also it tells you all you need to know how a lad who's never fought at the weight has become the #1 contender.  Did Dillon Whyte fuck all the president's wives?  ;D

Usyk is mandatory not #1 ranked, The WBO tend to make any champion moving up a weight a Mandatory challenger.

Whyte is still listed as their #1

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60564 on: June 24, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
mandatory is #1 in my book mate and to most others.  Doesn't make an iota of difference in the wordings, especially to casuals who the sport is trying to catch.  :D

And answer the second part, Did Dillon fuck their wives?  ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60565 on: June 24, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
This WBO ranking system with the champion from the weight below is similar to emeritus champion with the WBC. Both bodies that are giving Whyte the run around.

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #60566 on: June 24, 2019, 10:37:59 PM »
And people wonder why so many boxing fans turned to UFC. Mind you they're kinda doing the same thing with Tony Ferguson but still, atleast the big fights get made.

Offline gwalk

• Kopite
« Reply #60567 on: June 25, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »
mandatory is #1 in my book mate and to most others.  Doesn't make an iota of difference in the wordings, especially to casuals who the sport is trying to catch.  :D

Do you mean Dillian?  Casual  ;)

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Believer
« Reply #60568 on: June 25, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »

As Usyk cleared out and unified his division, he gets a title shot if he moves up. Same as Crawford.

Very harsh on Whyte still

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60569 on: June 25, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »

As Usyk cleared out and unified his division, he gets a title shot if he moves up. Same as Crawford.

Very harsh on Whyte still

Whyte could have had a shot at Joshua already if he wanted so he can't complain.

Ruiz has just shown everyone that if you back yourself to beat the champ you shouldn't piss about arguing over percentages. Just beat him in the ring and you can make all your demands for the rematch.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #60570 on: June 25, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
As I keep saying, people are guilty of focusing too much on size. Even with that Usyk is hardly a midget. As Lusty says, he is 6ft 3in. I would imagine he would be 215-220 in the ring.

For reference: Rumble in the Jungle - Foreman vs Ali. Both men were listed as 6ft 3in, same as Usyk. 'Big' George was 220 pounds, Ali was 216! Not many would pick Deontay fucking Wilder to beat either of those. Not saying Usyk is as good, but he is more skilled than Foreman albeit with less power. Practically all of the great heavyweights were about the size of Usyk or much smaller, and I would pick most of them to wipe out today's shower.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60571 on: June 25, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »
Whyte could have had a shot at Joshua already if he wanted so he can't complain.

Ruiz has just shown everyone that if you back yourself to beat the champ you shouldn't piss about arguing over percentages. Just beat him in the ring and you can make all your demands for the rematch.

Offline gwalk

• Kopite
« Reply #60572 on: June 26, 2019, 11:50:06 AM »
Lomachenko Campell in the O2 August 31st,

Will be looking to go to this definitely, have transport and accommodation sorted already since it was first rumoured

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60573 on: June 26, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
Lomachenko Campell in the O2 August 31st,

Will be looking to go to this definitely, have transport and accommodation sorted already since it was first rumoured

I am very tempted by that myself.

Offline tubby

• Not on my watch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60574 on: June 26, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
Thought you guys might appreciate this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XIOfQipmdks" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XIOfQipmdks</a>
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60575 on: June 26, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
Lads I understand the WBO way but doesn't mean it's right and I agree with them. Usyk should at least have ONE FIGHT in the division.  :D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60576 on: June 26, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Would love to see Lomachenko live, that would be great but having gone to NYC for AJ ain't go no dough to fund this one. Hopefully will see him up close one day.

Offline markmywords

• 2/10. Must try harder.
  • Kopite
« Reply #60577 on: June 26, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

The financial terms of the rematch were already set before the 1st fight and they all favour AJ heavily.  This is one of the reasons AJ struggled to get Fury/whyte/wilder and co in the ring.  You are stuck with somewhat unfavourable terms, even if you win the 1st fight
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:49:03 PM by markmywords »

Offline King.Keita

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it."
  • Believer
« Reply #60578 on: June 26, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
Wasn't Wilder offered 50-50 split and a guaranteed $50 million? Bet he wishes he'd taken that now, he could potentially have sent AJ into the middle of 2020 and be in the position that Andy Ruiz is in.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60579 on: June 26, 2019, 10:02:53 PM »
Khan's 'fight' with some Indian fighter is off because the other lad was in a car accident (hope he is okay). Instead, Khan fights Billy Dib, a guy who fought his career at 126 and below (one fight at 130). The fight is at 147 I believe. What's the point of weight divisions again?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60580 on: June 27, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »
Khan's 'fight' with some Indian fighter is off because the other lad was in a car accident (hope he is okay). Instead, Khan fights Billy Dib, a guy who fought his career at 126 and below (one fight at 130). The fight is at 147 I believe. What's the point of weight divisions Amir Khan again?
Fixed.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60581 on: July 1, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
Pacman vs Thurman is coming up soon, forgotten that was happening. Fancy Pacman for some weird reason to do this.

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #60582 on: July 1, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
Pacman vs Thurman is coming up soon, forgotten that was happening. Fancy Pacman for some weird reason to do this.

Intrigued by this too - shame ITV Box Office have got the rights though
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60583 on: July 1, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »

Not this version of Pacman. Thurman is beatable though.

Offline King.Keita

• Believer
« Reply #60584 on: July 1, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »
Hope Pacquiao beats the snot out of him, he's been nothing but disrespectful.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60585 on: July 3, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »
Never been impressed with Thurman. Prime Pac would beat the breaks off him; still think way past his peak Pac can squeak a split decision.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60586 on: July 3, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
Thurman has had two serious shoulder injuries which has stopped the momentum he built up.  A few years back he was looking seriously good as in the best of the post Floyd Welterweight's.

Offline Phil M

• RAWK’s most prolific poster. (NB. Hit 50k posts and someone at the top didn't like it!) Currently the subject of a Rawk mod conspiracy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • “Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #60587 on: July 4, 2019, 02:24:57 PM »
Chisora v  Szpilka in a couple of weeks or so. Szpilka is about 5 years younger but I think he's been dropped a few times at this level, most notably when Wilder ended him in 2016.

You lot see this as a relatively easy one for Chisora?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60588 on: July 4, 2019, 10:33:43 PM »
Chisora v  Szpilka in a couple of weeks or so. Szpilka is about 5 years younger but I think he's been dropped a few times at this level, most notably when Wilder ended him in 2016.

You lot see this as a relatively easy one for Chisora?
He isn't a complete Latvian by any stretch but has been puzzlingly inactive. Wilder didnt have the easiest night against him before landing a bomb. That was back in early 2016 and he has fought just 4 times since then. Got KO'd early against Kownacki who isn't that great.

If Bellend Boy has anything left he should win it but we all know he can be great one night and wank the next. I call him Bellend Boy because he endorsed the fucking Brexit Party. This from a man born in Zimbabwe where he lived until he was 16  ::)

Didn't know Joe Joyce was fighting Bryant Jennings in 9 days. He could easily lose that you know. Also Whyte vs Rivas is on the same night as Chisora. Rivas stopped Jennings in the 12th last time out and could be a good opponent for Whyte. Add in Price vs. Allen and it is a decent month of heavyweight action involving British fighters.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2019, 10:37:15 PM by 1892tillforever »

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60589 on: July 4, 2019, 10:43:18 PM »
Just noticed that Samuel Peter is STILL fighting  :o I thought he was about 50 and is apparently only 38!

After being stopped by Pulev in 2016, he was gone but came back to fight three journeyman in 2019, and managed to lose one. His opponent next weekend? Hughie Fury in Saudi Arabia FFS.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60590 on: July 4, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
Can’t see anything other than a Pacquaio win over Thurman.

Offline King.Keita

• Believer
« Reply #60591 on: July 5, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
If Bellend Boy has anything left he should win it but we all know he can be great one night and wank the next. I call him Bellend Boy because he endorsed the fucking Brexit Party. This from a man born in Zimbabwe where he lived until he was 16  ::)
Didn't know that about him, what a brainless idiot. Hope Szpilka sparks him out.

Got to admit, boxing is boring at the moment. There's no big fights coming up and there's too much ducking going on. I think the sport needs another Mayweather or Tyson, someone who will bring in the big numbers and interest the casuals.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Believer
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #60592 on: July 5, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
How good are Callum Smith's chances against BJS?

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60593 on: July 5, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »
Excellent. I'd make him clear favourite if the fight gets made. Saunders is an awkward bugger and very skilled but Smith's enormous size, strength, and power, not to mention the fact he is pretty skilled himself, make him a bad fight for anyone at 168 IMO. I wouldn't rule BJS out at all of course but I personally think he is biting off more than he can chew.

Didn't know that about him, what a brainless idiot. Hope Szpilka sparks him out.

Got to admit, boxing is boring at the moment. There's no big fights coming up and there's too much ducking going on. I think the sport needs another Mayweather or Tyson, someone who will bring in the big numbers and interest the casuals.
I have to say, I'm looking forward to those heavyweight dust ups I mentioned; mainly because the winner is not completely set in stone. Whyte 'should' beat Rivas but the Canadian seems to be a decent fighter. Chisora is a level above Szpilka but is past his best now. I also think Jennings has a very good chance of beating Joyce. Knowing my prediction standard lately, all three will be early blowouts  ;D

Allen vs Price has the potential to be a great pub brawl while it lasts; though I can't see anything beyond a KO win for Allen.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60594 on: July 5, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »

Honestly think Callum would be 20lbs heavier on the night. A bridge too far for BJS I think.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60595 on: July 5, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »

Very good. A good big man should always beat a good smaller man.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60596 on: July 6, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »

You should be flipping he question and asking how good BJS's chances are against Callum? My answer would be not very good.  Doesn't punch hard enough and its going to be hard to outbox Callum with his dimensions

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60597 on: July 8, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »
Callum can go up-to Crusierweight easily.

Offline gwalk

• Kopite
« Reply #60598 on: July 8, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »
Callum can go up-to Crusierweight easily.

Light heavy would make more sense, unless you mean CW as the long term goal

Big big jump from 12st to 14st4

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #60599 on: July 10, 2019, 02:53:08 PM »
Long term mate probably could end up there. His frame is easily big enough for the weight.