Author Topic: Graeme Souness  (Read 2233 times)

Offline norecat

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Graeme Souness
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »
Told a very touching story on the Irish Radio program Off The Ball. It was 1984 and Liverpool we’re playing away in a league match. Souness was late getting on the bus and Joe Fagan gave him loads about it. Souness proceeds to sit down on the bus on his own.  As he sat down someone tipped Fagan off that Souness heard his mother had only a day to live. Fagan proceeded to join Souness down the bus and put his arm around him for the rest of the journey. Souness understandably got very emotional retelling this. Class act from a classy Mr Fagan. These men were hard but they had a heart.

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
Re: Graeme Souness
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 01:24:12 PM »
Joe was as crucial to our success as anyone really; he was the link between the management (especially under Bob) and the players and the player's man in the coaching team/the one to break bad news etc. by all accounts.

I fear he's a largely forgotten figure in our history certainly outside Merseyside but he shouldn't be; absolutely integral part of the Boot Room.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 07:08:11 PM »
Joe was as crucial to our success as anyone really; he was the link between the management (especially under Bob) and the players and the player's man in the coaching team/the one to break bad news etc. by all accounts.

I fear he's a largely forgotten figure in our history certainly outside Merseyside but he shouldn't be; absolutely integral part of the Boot Room.

Completely agree!
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »

Smoking Joe was as successful in 1984 as any Liverpool manager has ever been. so his place in our history cannot be denied.

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
He was one of our own was Joe Fagan.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline norecat

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: April 1, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
Does anyone foresee the time when Souness is rehabilitated in the eyes of both the club and supporters? I appreciate he was a disaster as manager and caused untold hurt by selling the story of his heart op. He was though one of the finest players in the history of the club and I'm hoping time allows him to be viewed more favourably.

Offline mattD

• Believer
« Reply #6 on: April 1, 2020, 04:53:03 PM »
Does anyone foresee the time when Souness is rehabilitated in the eyes of both the club and supporters? I appreciate he was a disaster as manager and caused untold hurt by selling the story of his heart op. He was though one of the finest players in the history of the club and I'm hoping time allows him to be viewed more favourably.

There’s an excellent Graham Hunter podcast from a few years back where he discusses his career. Souness is before my time but he strikes me as a complicated figure for many supporters and a bit of a tragic hero. Hellishly brilliant but incredibly flawed too.

Offline aw1991

• Believer
« Reply #7 on: April 1, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »
Souness was before my time, but I'm pretty sure most fans still hold him to a high regard. Maybe not as much as he would've been though.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8 on: April 1, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »
https://youtu.be/AWw4JeRU5tM

Souness speaks of 'deep regrets' as Liverpool manager in emotional reflection.

« Last Edit: April 1, 2020, 05:12:13 PM by DangerScouse »

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2018 Champion Tipster
« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »
forgive and forget

well, maybe not forget but he's alright by me

at least he's no murdoch ass licker like Carra, says what he wants

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #10 on: April 1, 2020, 08:44:02 PM »
The look in his eyes at the end...

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #11 on: April 1, 2020, 08:57:56 PM »
forgive and forget

well, maybe not forget but he's alright by me

at least he's no murdoch ass licker like Carra, says what he wants
someone said when this came up here years ago forgiven not forgotten, I think that’s probably right.

He does genuinely care about the club and I think it does hurt him that his relationship is rather distant with the club when he should really be there more regularly in the directors box like you see kenny and rushie for things like big european nights not on Irish TV, let’s not forget he did have the decency to resign as manager instead of hang on, and although he doesn’t try to shirk responsibility for doing that interview he has mentioned that other players were still speaking to people from the rag which didn’t get as much attention as it should have

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #12 on: April 1, 2020, 09:03:29 PM »
Such a complicated and delicate part of our history.  Even without selling his story he still ripped up a generation's worth of work and it took us decades to recover.  That said, compared to some of the bile spouting bitterness of ex-Reds like Lawro or Murphy, Souness always come across as contrite.  He acknowledges his mistakes, and I don't feel he's ever tried to "rewrite history" to try and paint himself in a better light.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I forgive him.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2020, 09:10:19 PM by Red Berry »
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stubbins

• Believer
« Reply #13 on: April 2, 2020, 12:12:45 PM »
Such a complicated and delicate part of our history.  Even without selling his story he still ripped up a generation's worth of work and it took us decades to recover.  That said, compared to some of the bile spouting bitterness of ex-Reds like Lawro or Murphy, Souness always come across as contrite.  He acknowledges his mistakes, and I don't feel he's ever tried to "rewrite history" to try and paint himself in a better light.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I forgive him.

Nicely put.

Also heard that Souness was especially supportive to Ray Kennedy in his fight with Parkinsons. And well away from the glare of publicity in doing so. Clearly there's a softer side to his hard man persona.

He made mistakes. We all do. He's owned up to those and shown contrition. He's a top Red as far as I'm concerned.

Offline WaterfordRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: April 2, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
Definitely a top Red. 
SOS 8040

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
Nicely put.

Also heard that Souness was especially supportive to Ray Kennedy in his fight with Parkinsons. And well away from the glare of publicity in doing so. Clearly there's a softer side to his hard man persona.
was good mates with dale winton, a celebrity friendship you’d never expect!

Such a complicated and delicate part of our history.  Even without selling his story he still ripped up a generation's worth of work and it took us decades to recover. 
To be fair things did need changing and modernising, he just went about it the wrong way

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle.
  • Believer
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
was good mates with dale winton, a celebrity friendship you’d never expect!
To be fair things did need changing and modernising, he just went about it the wrong way

Agreed, i think if he could turn the cluck back he would do things a little bit differently, i felt far too many good & great players were sold in the summer of 92, Ray Houghton being one. We also started getting a load of injuries to key players mostly in training, how many achilles injuries did we have in Souness era, Barnes did his achilles, & he wasn't the same player after that, he admits that himself.

Online fish, barrel, etc.

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 12:59:38 PM »
Agreed, i think if he could turn the cluck back

Never chickened out of a tackle, Souness...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline blacksun

• Believer
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 06:32:46 PM »
Never chickened out of a tackle, Souness...

Did give away a few fowls though

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle.
  • Believer
  • Kloppite
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »
Oh fuck bloomin typo, now i'm in a fowl mood.  ;)

Offline Jamesie

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: May 6, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »
Told a very touching story on the Irish Radio program Off The Ball. It was 1984 and Liverpool we’re playing away in a league match. Souness was late getting on the bus and Joe Fagan gave him loads about it. Souness proceeds to sit down on the bus on his own.  As he sat down someone tipped Fagan off that Souness heard his mother had only a day to live. Fagan proceeded to join Souness down the bus and put his arm around him for the rest of the journey. Souness understandably got very emotional retelling this. Class act from a classy Mr Fagan. These men were hard but they had a heart.

Don’t know how to embed the video but the story is here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/offtheball/status/1229559563353042948?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1229559563353042948&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.offtheball.com%2Fsoccer%2Fwatch-graeme-souness-pays-emotional-tribute-joe-fagan-mothers-death-969025

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
I can't help feel a little bit sorry for Souness. He clearly loves the club and bitterly regrets what he did with the s*n. You can tell from those couple of interviews that he's still haunted by it.

He was before my time but he's always someone my dad has spoken about and he comes across like such a humble, down to earth bloke. You can see from the coverage over the last week just how much the club means to him. Seeing him raise a glass with thommo and kenny the other night was pretty touching. Really hit home the history that we've got, absolute giants.

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 08:14:12 PM »
I can't help feel a little bit sorry for Souness. He clearly loves the club and bitterly regrets what he did with the s*n. You can tell from those couple of interviews that he's still haunted by it.

He was before my time but he's always someone my dad has spoken about and he comes across like such a humble, down to earth bloke. You can see from the coverage over the last week just how much the club means to him. Seeing him raise a glass with thommo and kenny the other night was pretty touching. Really hit home the history that we've got, absolute giants.

Watching them on Sky the other night brought back so many memories. Don't know what the noises were in Kenny's house though. Sounds like he needs an exorcist.

Who was that young fellah, Carragher or someone, who kept butting in?

Online jillc

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
The thing which took me by surprise was how emotional Souness was after the title win, its been a while since I have seen him so affected over us to that extent. It was actually good to see.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »
He made a mistake, no doubt.  He comes across as a much better red than a lot of our ex-players thats for sure.

In my humble opinion it would be good to see him at the games in a non sky capacity.