Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 611384 times)

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
  • Across the face of the goal
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8160 on: February 15, 2020, 12:09:00 AM »
Are we the Jedis and Manchester City the Death Star?

Online Ghost Town

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor!
  • Believer
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8161 on: February 15, 2020, 12:21:56 AM »
Are we the Jedis and Manchester City the Death Star?
Well you can't say we don't have a wedge...
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #8162 on: February 15, 2020, 12:23:03 AM »
This year my daughter will be the same age I was when we last won it.

Well luckily she wont be your age now when we win it again. ;D
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #8163 on: February 15, 2020, 12:24:02 AM »
Can we win it before the clocks change?

Depends if the Premier League shift us over to PST (Points Subtracted Time).
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #8164 on: February 15, 2020, 12:54:13 AM »
Well you can't say we don't have a wedge...

We just have to wait antilles all confirmed

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Believer
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8165 on: February 15, 2020, 12:56:30 AM »
That would hardly be a disincentive to cheat. That would mean you can cheat as much as you want in the premier league, win a load of trophies and prize money, then take a non retroactive punishment. It would be like allowing dopers in athletics to keep their medals.

Retroactive punishment would dissuade clubs from cheating.
Don't worry, City will be punished retroactively. A tenner for every year they cheated...

I see where you're coming from, and kind of agree in my heart, but not in my head. Financial doping it's not the same as real doping for a number of reasons. In drug doping, you enhance the human performance beyond an otherwise unattainable level. Financial doping is cheating, no question, but it only allows you to get the best players. That has its drawbacks. First, you can only put 11 on the pitch at any time, which leaves City with another 11 waiting in the wings. What a bench indeed, but how happy would they be for a long period of time? Second, we showed these last two seasons that we can beat any money doping in 11v11. Yes, it takes more intensity, assertion and concentration from our boys, they will be probably drained at the end of the season, but so much sweeter will be the reward! And lastly, clubs that get the financial doping face a massive, massive extinction risk. It's all good and dandy now for City and PSG, but once their benefactors lose interest, good luck paying that debt! They can start from administration and back from the amateur levels... 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline actwithoutwords

• Kopite
« Reply #8166 on: February 15, 2020, 01:11:57 AM »
Really hope City don't get deducted points this season. Or if it happens it better not put us over the line. Of all the ways to win it, that would be shite.
This season is about our achievement. Not about them twats.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8167 on: February 15, 2020, 06:31:40 AM »
Haha.....f**k city. Finally there is justice. Haha.

There is just no way they can go on buying fullbacks for 50 million pounds without any blowback and hahaha......the blowback was awesome.

f**k man city. F**k blady pep. Haha
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline muszka

• Main Stander
« Reply #8168 on: February 15, 2020, 07:39:35 AM »
Don't worry, City will be punished retroactively. A tenner for every year they cheated...

I see where you're coming from, and kind of agree in my heart, but not in my head. Financial doping it's not the same as real doping for a number of reasons. In drug doping, you enhance the human performance beyond an otherwise unattainable level. Financial doping is cheating, no question, but it only allows you to get the best players. That has its drawbacks. First, you can only put 11 on the pitch at any time, which leaves City with another 11 waiting in the wings. What a bench indeed, but how happy would they be for a long period of time? Second, we showed these last two seasons that we can beat any money doping in 11v11. Yes, it takes more intensity, assertion and concentration from our boys, they will be probably drained at the end of the season, but so much sweeter will be the reward! And lastly, clubs that get the financial doping face a massive, massive extinction risk. It's all good and dandy now for City and PSG, but once their benefactors lose interest, good luck paying that debt! They can start from administration and back from the amateur levels...

Of course it's not the same, but if City presented Premier League with falsified documents about income that enabled them to get the license to play in the league they can well be very serious consequences for them starting from points deduction to stripping down titles. And it's now proven that they are indeed dirty cheaters (UEFA wouldn't punish a team for 150m+ without being certian of it) so it's not like it would be a big outrage if they get the most serious punishments.

Offline keyop

• Believer
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #8169 on: February 15, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
I see where you're coming from, and kind of agree in my heart, but not in my head. Financial doping it's not the same as real doping for a number of reasons. In drug doping, you enhance the human performance beyond an otherwise unattainable level. Financial doping is cheating, no question, but it only allows you to get the best players.
I agree, but using the same principles you could argue that the Italian Serie A scandal wasn't really cheating as it didn't enhance human performance - only the influence of referees. However, titles were stripped away, points deducted, and Juventus were relegated, and in my view financial doping to buy the best players is on a par with bribing referees. In fact, I'd argue its worse, as a referee can't actually put the ball in the goal whereas 11 of the best players in the world have a much better chance of influencing the outcome of the game.

Good to see UEFA finally showing some bite after years of FFP being toothless - clearly there's been a huge amount of work done in the background to put this case together, and City's arrogant and defiant reaction to all of this just serves to reinforce the lack of class, dignity and respect they have for the game. Guardiola is also complicit in this (even if not legally) - he may not have known the actual details, but surely must have wondered where all the money was coming from whilst he was buying whoever he wanted. This verdict tarnishes everything he's done with City and this league, and I wouldn't be surprised if he steps down in June to try and salvage his reputation.

This is going to magnify our title win even more, by showing the world what we've achieved against a backdrop of wholesale cheating, and I'm looking forward to that horrible club unravelling in the coming months and seasons. The backlash from the media and the terraces will be fierce, and it's certainly been well worth the wait.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:11:55 AM by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Believer
« Reply #8170 on: February 15, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
I agree, but using the same principles you could argue that the Italian Serie A scandal wasn't really cheating as it didn't enhance human performance - only the influence of referees. However, titles were stripped away, points deducted, and Juventus were relegated, and in my view financial doping to buy the best players is on a par with bribing referees. In fact, I'd argue its worse, as a referee can't actually put the ball in the goal whereas 11 of the best players in the world have a much better chance of influencing the outcome of the game.

Can't agree with this. A bent ref may not enhance human achievement, it just means he can completely strike human achievements away for illegitimate/invented reasons.

Financial doping is more complex. I've hated it since Abramovitch was a thing, but that wasn't against the rules so it was legal. Agree with the position that it only allows you, from an on pitch sense, to put 18 brilliant players on the pitch. They still need to have the mentality to overcome challenges, competition, injuries, bad decisions etc etc. They still need to gel as humans and a team. They still need to actually have the levels of skill and fight required to do the winning. It makes it a shitloads easier to get right if you throw money at the best coaches and players. It makes it, at best, stink a bit if you haven't earned that money through sporting success but just through getting a rich owner - see Chelsea. Difference with city is that the rules changed. They've been caught, absolutely bang to rights breaking the rules.

Completely agree with the below.

Good to see UEFA finally showing some bite after years of FFP being toothless - clearly there's been a huge amount of work done in the background to put this case together, and City's arrogant and defiant reaction to all of this just serves to reinforce the lack of class, dignity and respect they have for the game. Guardiola is also complicit in this (even if not legally) - he may not have known the actual details, but surely must have wondered where all the money was coming from whilst he was buying whoever he wanted. This verdict tarnishes everything he's done with City and this league, and I wouldn't be surprised if he steps down in June to try and salvage his reputation.

This is going to magnify our title win even more, by showing the world what we've achieved against a backdrop of wholesale cheating, and I'm looking forward to that horrible club unravelling in the coming months and seasons. The backlash from the media and the terraces will be fierce, and it's certainly been well worth the wait.

Offline Barneylfc

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #8171 on: February 15, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »
Can we win it before the clocks change?

Would we be the first team ever to win it before the clocks go back?

Offline smutchin

• Main Stander
« Reply #8172 on: February 15, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »
I see where you're coming from, and kind of agree in my heart, but not in my head. Financial doping it's not the same as real doping for a number of reasons. In drug doping, you enhance the human performance beyond an otherwise unattainable level. Financial doping is cheating, no question, but it only allows you to get the best players.

An over-simplistic view, if you don’t mind me saying.

For a start, “financial doping” makes a massive difference to performance - if it didn’t, they wouldn’t do it. In that respect, it’s exactly the same as blood doping or using PEDs.

You’re right that simply “financial doping” by itself isn’t guaranteed to work, you need people in place who know what they are doing to get the best out if it.

But the same is true of doping with PEDs. Lance Armstrong wasn’t operating as a lone wolf buying dodgy pills off the internet, he had a crack medical team behind him. In the 90s, a number of cyclists died because they didn’t know how to use EPO safely.

To get back on topic, where we are right now is a demonstration of what you can achieve by playing within the rules when you have the best coaching set-up, with owners providing the right backing and support. To go back to cycling, it’s a bit like the “marginal gains” philosophy of Dave Brailsford - pay attention to all the small details and they add up to greater overall achievements. We are where we are now because Klopp and FSG are meticulous in everything they do.

Offline keyop

• Believer
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #8173 on: February 15, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »
Can't agree with this. A bent ref may not enhance human achievement, it just means he can completely strike human achievements away for illegitimate/invented reasons.
Perhaps that worked in Serie A 15 years ago, but one of the benefits of VAR (despite its detractors) is it pretty much removes the possibility of bribing officials - the replays are independently judged and there for everyone to see (and from every angle). Even if you also bribed the video assistants it would soon be obvious something was wrong. There's no way a crooked referee could influence a game now more than a team full of £50m players could.

City's financial doping is fraud and cheating on an industrial scale and the last 24 hours is just the beginning of their downfall. The stage is set now more than ever for us to continue to dominate under Klopp.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Believer
« Reply #8174 on: February 15, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »
Perhaps that worked in Serie A 15 years ago, but one of the benefits of VAR (despite its detractors) is it pretty much removes the possibility of bribing officials - the replays are independently judged and there for everyone to see (and from every angle). Even if you also bribed the video assistants it would soon be obvious something was wrong. There's no way a crooked referee could influence a game now more than a team full of £50m players could.

City's financial doping is fraud and cheating on an industrial scale and the last 24 hours is just the beginning of their downfall. The stage is set now more than ever for us to continue to dominate under Klopp.

I hope so. If it was me in charge I'd be throwing the book at them. Full punishment, from both UEFA and the PL, whatever the full extent of that may be.

Offline Andy @ Allerton

• Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • “That is not dead which can eternal lie..."
« Reply #8175 on: February 15, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »
I would be annoyed if they just docked them points this year.

Would be a massive bottle job from the Premier League as it would affect absolutely nothing.

Punishing without Punishing.
1st Law : A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2nd Law : A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3rd Law : A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the other 2 laws

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8176 on: February 15, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »

Would be a massive bottle job from the Premier League as it would affect absolutely nothing.

Unless it's 50 points and we can relegate them 😋

Offline PaulF

• -.-- -. .-- .-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8177 on: February 15, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »
I think we need to remember, that despite the title , it's not about maintaining a level playing field. Uefa were more concerned about owners buying clubs relatively cheap , then gambling with their assets on success. If that failed it ruined the club and the owners walked away. What city have done is breach the rules and it stinks , but the owners aren't gambling with city's future existence. The rules have nothing to do with sporting outcomes and all about protecting clubs from unscrupulous gamblers.
The fact that city so blantantly stick two fingers up at the rules makes the punishment seem fitting.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 88_RED

• Believer
« Reply #8178 on: February 15, 2020, 02:25:53 PM »

Wow.. same here mate.. I was 11, when we last won it in 1990.. My daughter is currently 11..  :champ
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8179 on: February 15, 2020, 02:53:12 PM »
Wow.. same here mate.. I was 11, when we last won it in 1990.. My daughter is currently 11..  :champ
I was 23, my oldest son is 23...  :champ
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline smutchin

• Main Stander
« Reply #8180 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:53 PM »
I was 17 last time we won it, hadn’t even met my future wife yet. Our son is now 21.

Offline PHIL.

• Anny Roader
  • Unbearable
« Reply #8181 on: February 15, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »

100%

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Believer
« Reply #8182 on: February 15, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »

Ideally you would want it next season  8)

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #8183 on: February 15, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »
I was 23, my oldest son is 23...  :champ

My son was 15, his son is 15.

When I was 15 United won it and then went on their 27 year drought. ;D

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8184 on: February 15, 2020, 03:17:26 PM »
Ideally you would want it next season  8)

I appreciate this may sound arrogant, and I do of course agree I'd prefer it next season and indeed them being fucked off out of the CL as well... But we're fucking twatting them next season points deduction or not. So fuck it, give it them when they like, keep them in the champions league if you like, those twats aren't getting passed Jurgen's red machine by fair means or foul.
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Believer
« Reply #8185 on: February 15, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
I appreciate this may sound arrogant, and I do of course agree I'd prefer it next season and indeed them being fucked off out of the CL as well... But we're fucking twatting them next season points deduction or not. So fuck it, give it them when they like, keep them in the champions league if you like, those twats aren't getting passed Jurgen's red machine by fair means or foul.

Oh agreed.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Believer
  • Six times...
« Reply #8186 on: February 15, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »

Same with me and my eldest lad (aged 7), he better not have to wait as long for another one as we have! He’s not that into it yet, but I’m constantly talking to him about and encouraging him to engage with it more, never know how long it might be (though massively more positive about our future prospects than I’ve ever been before).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:28:07 PM by TomDcs »

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #8187 on: February 15, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
Massive opportunity for us to build a real dynasty here with City in shambles and long term rivals struggling. You love to see it.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Believer
« Reply #8188 on: February 15, 2020, 03:48:59 PM »
City's 22 points deduction did really cost them this year to be fair.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #8189 on: February 15, 2020, 03:51:45 PM »
Massive opportunity for us to build a real dynasty here with City in shambles and long term rivals struggling. You love to see it.

Doubt it.

Just wait for our punishment after the hacking scandal doping scandal
Or he could read Babu's Twitter threads, which is where I get my opinions from

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
« Reply #8190 on: February 15, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
A win today would mean we've had 17 league wins in a row twice in just over a year which is just ludicrous.

Offline 88_RED

• Believer
« Reply #8191 on: February 15, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »

Fuck this season and next season.. I want the points deduction from 2012 to 2016, so we get the 2013/14 title retroactively and Stevie gets a winners medal.. That would rile up the whole of MUNCHESTER red and blue..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline disgraced cake

• Believer
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8192 on: February 15, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
A win today would mean we've had 17 league wins in a row twice in just over a year which is just ludicrous.

Really hope we do it, that's insane. When we drew with United we were on the verge of breaking a streak of wins in the prem, and just missed out. I thought, 'ah we'll never do that many in a row again'

We've literally done it straight away. That's how good we are.
Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Believer
« Reply #8193 on: February 15, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »
And then it was 15. Count them down.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8194 on: February 15, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »
5 more games... 8)

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8195 on: February 15, 2020, 07:22:35 PM »
One more step to immortality.  8)

Offline muszka

• Main Stander
« Reply #8196 on: February 15, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »
15 points out of 36.

1.25 ppg.

2.1 ppg to break the all time points record.

What we're doing here will never be repeated.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #8197 on: February 15, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »
Longest undefeated streaks in the history of the top five European leagues:

58 - AC Milan in 1991-93
53 - Bayern Munich in 2012-14
49 - Arsenal in 2003-04
49 - Juventus in 2011-12
43* - Liverpool in 2019-20
42 - Nottingham Forest in 1977-78
40 - Chelsea in 2004-05

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Believer
« Reply #8198 on: February 15, 2020, 07:35:02 PM »
40 points ahead of Blue Shite.
41 points ahead of United.

Out of sight in the rear view mirrors.

Hmmmm.......
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Statto Red

• Believer
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8199 on: February 15, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
Of the teams currently below 4th place only Spurs can now catch us, Spurs can only finish level on points with us but Spurs GD is 8 our GD 46, Spurs have to win every game & have to win every game by about 6 or 7 clear goals, & we have to lose every game