Author Topic: Wimbledon 2019  (Read 17346 times)

Offline Andy82lfc

• Believer
Re: Wimbledon 2019
« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
Is she interviewing that guy presenter off ‘tales from the crypt’?

Offline Andar

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2019, 02:58:42 PM »
So the bad match up is against a lowly ranked player who has once been to a QF before.  That screams mental issues for me, rather than talent/ability, if your hoodoo is against another player who you have played only once before, in a warm tournament for a WTA "Premier" tournament (yes - the whole tournament was seen as a warm up for the Chinese WTRA tournament the week after, and only had 28 players), is ranked almost 40 places below you in the rankings, has spent 4 months *ever* ranked in top 20 at the start of 2017,  (peaking at #16 for 1 week, and #17 for 5 more in that time) AND is 33.  And someone who has only once got to a QF before in Grand Slams, and only 4 times on top of that reached the 4th round. 

Her talent is there to see, beating *significantly* better opposition in the last 2 rounds here, AND 3 times in the run up to the SF in France, before, again, losing to a much lower ranked player where she was suddenly the favourite.  She has done a great job making the most of it, just at the last hurdle continually fails, often against players she should be beating.

Also, she beat Halep in the 1st round in Miami - beat Wozniacki (another who I feel trheir mental block in big tournaments meant she didn't quite win as much as her talent promised) in the final.

Not sure what relevance her being lower ranked is. A bad match-up is a bad match-up. Strycova has been higher ranked in previous years and can be a tricky opponent for players with limited tennis smarts. Her slice and dice game was always going to be an issue for a limited brain-dead player like Konta. Only mentioning the Tokyo result in that it doesn't surprise me she lost to her in straight sets previously - considering the match-up issues. Niculescu who is far worse in quality than Strycova (ranked 144 as we speak), who only knows one way of playing and that is slicing and dicing. Literally never clean strikes the ball. Konta has lost 2 out of their 3 meetings. That's against an opponent who is ranked around 100. That's the sort of issues she has against this opponent type. However lowly ranked they are. Rankings are completely void when it comes to tennis and match-ups. When you lack the game and smarts like Konta does to combat the likes of Niculescu and Strycova, upsets to this sort of opponent are going to happen. Nothing to do with 'mentality' and 'bottle', but only with the tennis on the court.

Yep she beat higher ranked opponents in both the Wimbledon and the French. Professional sport doesn't actually work along those lines though. Just because you beat better opponents along a run, it doesn't exactly mean you should brush aside a lowly opponent further down the line. You're going to encounter different issues against a team/player with a different style, even if they are lower in ranking to previous opponents. That's how sport works.

Not sure taking any hit at her for her French Open semi-final loss stands at all. She done great to reach that far considering how awful she has been on clay for a long while. Only beat Stephens of any note. Lost to a more accomplished clay-courter in Vondrousova on the day. Not a shock at all. She beat her a few weeks earlier but unfortunately lost the second time round. Missed a crucial set point and if she took the first set, probably would have gone on and won.  That's sport at the highest level. Missed shots, hitting the post, own goals, Fine margins. Especially in tennis when it's a tight contest, and down to a point here and there.

Again, i think you're overestimating her talent. She's maxed out as much as she can. With a bit of luck she could have had a French Open final on her record. I'm not sure she's ever been good enough elsewhere to reach a Grand Slam final.

Not seeing any issues with mentality personally, considering that is what has got her this far in the sport.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
« Reply #442 on: July 11, 2019, 03:28:42 PM »
Meh. Two completely underwhelming semi finals today. Roll on tomorrow.

Offline Scottymuser

• Kopite
« Reply #443 on: July 11, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »

Not sure taking any hit at her for her French Open semi-final loss stands at all. She done great to reach that far considering how awful she has been on clay for a long while. Only beat Stephens of any note. Lost to a more accomplished clay-courter in Vondrousova on the day. Not a shock at all. She beat her a few weeks earlier but unfortunately lost the second time round. Missed a crucial set point and if she took the first set, probably would have gone on and won.  That's sport at the highest level. Missed shots, hitting the post, own goals, Fine margins. Especially in tennis when it's a tight contest, and down to a point here and there.

But that's my point - she got into a dominant position, with a set point, then bottled it, lost that set, and then lost the next (admittedly in a tie break).  And not sure you can say a 19 year old with 1 clay court win to her name (not tournament, *match*) a "more accomplished clay-courter".  She may go on to be, but as of the moment, before this year, had never even competed in the Madrid or Italian Open (prefering the hard court season), and this year for the first time entered one, got to the QF, before Konta took her game apart.  So no, she didn't "lose to a more accomplished clay-courter" she "lost to a 19 year old who had never before the week prior to the French open even qualified for a WTA clay court event, and in the  one the week before, made her debut before losing in the QFs to Konta herself".  Vondrousova  has beaten Konta before - on a hard court, which she prefers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:55:43 PM by Scottymuser »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #444 on: July 11, 2019, 04:01:42 PM »
Demolition job from Williams that. She's big favourite for the final.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #445 on: July 11, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »
2 hours 12min for both semis to be done? hahaha
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #446 on: July 11, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
2 hours 12min for both semis to be done? hahaha

Equal prize money though  ;)

Offline DelTrotter

• Believer
« Reply #447 on: July 11, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
Virg picked a real shit day to go, hopefully he's staying over and can go tomorrow.

Offline Andar

• Kopite
« Reply #448 on: July 11, 2019, 04:58:55 PM »
But that's my point - she got into a dominant position, with a set point, then bottled it, lost that set, and then lost the next (admittedly in a tie break).  And not sure you can say a 19 year old with 1 clay court win to her name (not tournament, *match*) a "more accomplished clay-courter".  She may go on to be, but as of the moment, before this year, had never even competed in the Madrid or Italian Open (prefering the hard court season), and this year for the first time entered one, got to the QF, before Konta took her game apart.  So no, she didn't "lose to a more accomplished clay-courter" she "lost to a 19 year old who had never before the week prior to the French open even qualified for a WTA clay court event, and in the  one the week before, made her debut before losing in the QFs to Konta herself".  Vondrousova  has beaten Konta before - on a hard court, which she prefers.

She's more accomplished in that she has a better win percentage in the WTA tour. In WTA Main draw events, Vondrousova is 21-11 (67% win pct), Konta is 20-19 (51% win pct). Quite evident to see who is the more accomplished at this surface.

Not sure losing a set point opportunity and then going on to lose the set is 'bottling'. I mean that happens quite often. Player wastes set points, momentum shifts to the opponent and the set turns around. If you threw out the term 'bottling' for every player that suffered from that, it would be a bit bonkers. I've seen her miss those sort of volleys at non-critical stages of a match. It was a poor shot that wasn't executed properly. It happens. It's not 'bottling' by any means though.

Offline BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #449 on: July 11, 2019, 07:40:04 PM »
Barker needs to shave that fringe off from her eyes the dithering old cockwomble.

Take that back right now or Cliff Richard will come round and batter you.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #450 on: July 11, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »
Rafa v Federer is on last

Can’t wait
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #451 on: July 11, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »
Great move, Pierre Hugues Herbert. Ditch your regular partner to play with Andy Murray and then watch him reach the final while you get beat in the second round. That is some delicious karma :lmao

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
« Reply #452 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »
Keep changing my mind on Federer/Nadal. Either way I reckon it'll be a classic. 5 sets either way.

Djokovic on the other hand will be tediously dull and one sided.

Offline gjr1

• Believer
« Reply #453 on: July 12, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
Keep changing my mind on Federer/Nadal. Either way I reckon it'll be a classic. 5 sets either way.

Djokovic on the other hand will be tediously dull and one sided.

Not too sure of your call on then Djokovic match... having said that I’ve bet the other guy so Novak already has one foot in the final
We have to be like Rocky

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Believer
« Reply #454 on: July 12, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
Mad to think that these two haven't played each other at Wimbledon for 11 years.

Also think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone back in 2008 thinking these two would still both be in the top 3 11 years later. Whilst it's a massive testament to their talent, longevity and commitment - its surely getting to the point that their continued domination is a bit of an indictment of the rest of the sport? Or is that harsh?

Offline mc_red22

• Believer
« Reply #455 on: July 12, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »
Great move, Pierre Hugues Herbert. Ditch your regular partner to play with Andy Murray and then watch him reach the final while you get beat in the second round. That is some delicious karma :lmao

When I heard about that it made absolutely no sense to me. It was quickly explained away with the commentators saying Herbert wanted to focus more on his singles but if that's the case then he wouldn't have entered the doubles at all. Herbert was comfortably beaten in the first round by Kevin Anderson too :lmao

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesligas shit
  • Believer
  • Everyone loves a Luis
« Reply #456 on: July 12, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »
Mad to think that these two haven't played each other at Wimbledon for 11 years.

Also think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone back in 2008 thinking these two would still both be in the top 3 11 years later. Whilst it's a massive testament to their talent, longevity and commitment - its surely getting to the point that their continued domination is a bit of an indictment of the rest of the sport? Or is that harsh?

It is a bit harsh, because they're exceptionally good and they've done remarkably well to overcome chronic injury issues at their age.

It's not like they've both been at the very top of the sport for that entire time either. Federer won one Grand Slam in six seasons between 2011-16. Take away the French Open and the same for Nadal in those same seasons. Unfortunately Murray, Wawrinka and Del Potro have faded away with injury and age, and no one has really replaced them yet in terms of being able to compete at the back-end of Grand Slams.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:13:00 PM by LallanaInPyjamas »
Better than the Invincibles.
Better than Mourinho's Chelsea.
Better than the fabled Man Utd treble team.

I'm alright with that.

Offline S

• pineless
  • Believer
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #457 on: July 12, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »
Federer will be 38 next month. It's frankly ridiculous that he still makes the semi-finals so easily. He could surely be playing at Wimbledon into his forties right? I personally don't think he'll win another, but the first week is still basically a training exhibition for him.

Nadal has always been my favourite, but Federer is the one player I wouldn't mind him losing to. I just wish this was the final.

Offline sinnermichael

• Believer
« Reply #458 on: July 12, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline S

• pineless
  • Believer
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #459 on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #460 on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »

Pretty sure Steve Jobs existed in 2008 ;D
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #461 on: July 12, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »
Would be surprised if Bautista-Agut wins more than half a dozen games here.

Offline sinnermichael

• Believer
« Reply #462 on: July 12, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
And Djokovic breaks already.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »
And Djokovic breaks already.

Pointless even playing.

I actually thought Agut may do ok
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline IgorBobbins

• Believer
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #464 on: July 12, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »
Any chance this could be a longish match so I'll get home from work in time to watch the other semi?

Probably not

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #465 on: July 12, 2019, 01:28:40 PM »
Any chance this could be a longish match so I'll get home from work in time to watch the other semi?

Probably not

Be over in 3. Doubt he gets six games.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #466 on: July 12, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
6-2

Djokovic played well but so many unforced errors from Agut

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Believer
« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2019, 01:50:40 PM »

I agree with you as I sit here watching Djokovic cruise through the other semi final and think to myself surely there must be some other top players coming through the ranks by now - surely!! I've been a big fan of Andy Murray and with him not playing this year I haven't been as interesting in Wimbledon, at least they've still got John McEnroe commentating, one of my favourite commentators in any sport.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline sinnermichael

• Believer
« Reply #468 on: July 12, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
One set all.

Djokovic sarcastically winding the crowd up, the prick.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:35:51 PM by sinnermichael »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #469 on: July 12, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
Bautista-Agut takes the second set!

Hopefully he'll keep playing and not see that as job done.

Offline Welshred

• To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Definitely!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #470 on: July 12, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »
Be over in 3. Doubt he gets six games.

This aged well ;D
Earn cashback on all your purchases with Quidco!

http://www.quidco.com/user/3878046/1870622/

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #471 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »
This aged well ;D

Classic jinx although a couple of pages back I did say he had a chance

Offline sinnermichael

• Believer
« Reply #472 on: July 12, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
You can almost feel McEnroe constantly shaking his head in the background at Inverdale's inane drivel.

Offline Phil M

• RAWK’s most prolific poster. (NB. Hit 50k posts and someone at the top didn't like it!) Currently the subject of a Rawk mod conspiracy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • “Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #473 on: July 12, 2019, 02:44:13 PM »
Bautista-Agut takes the second set!

He's gonna win this.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Believer
  • Monty, you terrible c*nt!
« Reply #474 on: July 12, 2019, 03:22:35 PM »
He's gonna win this.

I don't think so.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Believer
« Reply #475 on: July 12, 2019, 03:23:41 PM »
Can’t quite believe how insecure Djokovic is
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Phil M

• RAWK’s most prolific poster. (NB. Hit 50k posts and someone at the top didn't like it!) Currently the subject of a Rawk mod conspiracy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • “Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #476 on: July 12, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »
I don't think so.

I didn't say who 'he' was.  8)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #477 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
Can’t quite believe how insecure Djokovic is

He's so incredibly easy to dislike.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #478 on: July 12, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
And that's your lot.

At least Bautista-Agut made a game of it.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #479 on: July 12, 2019, 03:43:49 PM »
And that's your lot.

At least Bautista-Agut made a game of it.

He battled hard.

Djokovic is a dislikable bellend though.