Author Topic: Dejan Lovren  (Read 14024 times)

Offline Kochevnik

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dejan Lovren
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2019, 07:36:40 PM »
£25 or £30 million may be a good price on paper but it smacks of penny wise, pound foolish. We don't need the money and we know Dejan can perform at the highest level, so what would be the point of selling him when we don't have anyone else lined up and will need to pay a lot more to get someone who is as good?

We do?  ??? ???

Weird one this, for me. There is a certain portion of our fanbase who is oddly convinced that Lovren is actually good, which I don't really understand. Even if he was, he's always injured and he's about to turn 30. I think we'd all agree that Gomez/VVD is first choice with Matip our 3rd option on the bench, so for me we get another younger CB to develop as fourth choice with the Lovren money and we're way ahead of the game.

And obviously Edwards agrees if he's putting it out there through Joyce that we're open to hearing offers for Dejan.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »
We do?  ??? ???

Weird one this, for me. There is a certain portion of our fanbase who is oddly convinced that Lovren is actually good, which I don't really understand. Even if he was, he's always injured and he's about to turn 30. I think we'd all agree that Gomez/VVD is first choice with Matip our 3rd option on the bench, so for me we get another younger CB to develop as fourth choice with the Lovren money and we're way ahead of the game.

And obviously Edwards agrees if he's putting it out there through Joyce that we're open to hearing offers for Dejan.

And they can retort and say that there is a certain portion of our fanbase who is oddly convinced that Lovren is rubbish.

Kloppo has shipped out Sakho (not just cos he wasn't that good, but cos he was unprofessional, granted) and Skrtel, didn't re-sign Toure, allowed Klavan to leave to get more playing time, yet Lovren is still here, and they don't really want to sell him.  You think he'd still be here if he wasn't a very good player?
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Online Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
He is a good player, seems like a top bloke and he loves the club. Would be sorry to see him sold but trust Jurgen on this, if good money is offered we may be tempted to sell given his injury record. But we would have to buy someone else.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2019, 07:46:45 PM »
It all depends on who we identify as a replacement. He is about to be 30 and can't really be trusted to stay fit, so it's understandable that the club would be open to selling him.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
It all depends on who we identify as a replacement. He is about to be 30 and can't really be trusted to stay fit, so it's understandable that the club would be open to selling him.

Who said we were open to sell?
If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

Online Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »

Joyce said we’d want £25m, rather than say we didn’t want to sell, so there is that.

I can see why we might look at it. As far as maximising value this summer is probably it.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »

Joyce said if we received an offer of £25m we would be. From the OP:

"It would take an offer in excess of £25million for Liverpool to entertain selling Dejan Lovren this summer."
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Online Eel Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »
We do?  ??? ???

I’m assuming we class the manager as part of the fan base too...?
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and that’s being very conservative. So that’s £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head that’s £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2019, 07:54:51 PM »
Joyce said if we received an offer of £25m we would be. From the OP:

"It would take an offer in excess of £25million for Liverpool to entertain selling Dejan Lovren this summer."

Ahh right so.
If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »
I’m assuming we class the manager as part of the fan base too...?

Who cares what Klopp thinks as Kochevnik here thinks he's not good, so that's that

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, ¡dale!
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
Would easily take any bid over 25m for him...but highly doubt there's any reasonably priced replacements that are upgrades or sideways moves. Any player we get would probably be a younger project type player. We're not dropping 50m+ on 4th choice CB. IMO, Gomez is VVD's first choice partner when healthy...and since his injuries have been impact ones, I certainly expect him to be there most of the time.

How's Jonathan Tah doing these days? I remember clamoring for him a couple years back.

Definitely out of reach, but Kimpembe would be nice as both CB and LB cover.

Pavard to Bayern ever actually get done?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:22:51 PM by brownbear11 »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
Would easily take any bid over 25m for him...but highly doubt there's any reasonably priced replacements that are upgrades or sideways moves. Any player we get would probably be a younger project type player. We're not dropping 50m+ on 4th choice CB. IMO, Gomez is VVD's first choice partner when healthy...and since his injuries have been impact ones, I certainly expect him to be there most of the time.

How's Jonathan Tah doing these days? I remember clamoring for him a couple years back. Definitely out of reach, but Kimpembe would be nice as both CB and LB cover.

I think Tah is at that stage of his career, when a move to a team where he knows he'd struggle to start for every week, wouldn't be a good idea! He's just breaking into the German national set up now.  (Started his first competitive game last week).   And he's not as good a prospect as Gomez in my view, and I'd have Matip ahead of him at this moment in their respective careers too.  For a team like Arsenal - he'd walk into their starting lineup, but not here.  I mean, he'd be great as a squad player - but not the sort of move that'd work for him I'd say.
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Kopite
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »
We do?  ??? ???

Yeah, he's a pretty good 4th CB option, maybe even very good. But I don't think it's a coincidence that our defense went up a level this year with Lovren out injured.

Anything over 20 million and we should jump at it. Edwards can absolutely find a comparable player for a similar transfer fee and lower wages.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
Yeah, he's a pretty good 4th CB option, maybe even very good. But I don't think it's a coincidence that our defense went up a level this year with Lovren out injured.

Anything over 20 million and we should jump at it. Edwards can absolutely find a comparable player for a similar transfer fee and lower wages.

It's more that our defence went up a level with Alisson in goal.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • The TRUTH! is out
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
25 mill for the worlds best defender!

Do me a favour you plonker.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
It's more that our defence went up a level with Alisson in goal.

Fair point. Allison had much more to do with our defensive improvement than Matip/Gomez playing over Lovren.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:47 PM »

You reckon? I mean, maybe, but I think you may be underrating Lovren here. Or maybe I'm overrating him. Hard to know, I guess.

Still, I think it'd be very, very hard to find someone of comparable ability for £20m and lower wages. 5-10 years ago sure, but with the way the transfer market has gone in the last two years, I think we'd be lucky.

Offline riismeister

• Believer
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »
We do?  ??? ???

He helped us get to the CL final a year ago and he's been available for 88% of our games since joining, and been in 76% of match squads since joining, including this season just finished. Hardly a shit player and hardly made of glass.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Kopite
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
You reckon? I mean, maybe, but I think you may be underrating Lovren here. Or maybe I'm overrating him. Hard to know, I guess.

Still, I think it'd be very, very hard to find someone of comparable ability for £20m and lower wages. 5-10 years ago sure, but with the way the transfer market has gone in the last two years, I think we'd be lucky.

He's a polarizing player to say the least!

I don't rate him highly at all, so I'm confident in Edwards' ability to replace him.

But a fair argument might be: we don't need the money, so why let him go and take the risk of signing someone who is worse?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2019, 09:39:22 PM »
He was one of the best players on the pitch in both the CL and the world cup finals one year ago, so not really. He's also not that old for a CB, only 2 years older than Koulibaly.
That doesn't reflect his status with us at the moment though.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery.
  • Believer
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
Funny to see people say he did nothing wrong since the 4-1 at Spurs. To me he made the most costly mistake for us in the season. He thought Aguero was still on the floor (cos he fell down), then he was shocked Aguero was on the ball, by the time Lovren tried to close him down it was a very close free hit for Sergio. This is a game we threatened to take the lead but ended up losing.

Other than that and a few headless chicken small moments, it is true to say that he is improving. I'd definitely keep him as our 4th choice central defender.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Online Eel Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2019, 09:45:19 PM »
He's a polarizing player to say the least!

I don't rate him highly at all, so I'm confident in Edwards' ability to replace him.

But a fair argument might be: we don't need the money, so why let him go and take the risk of signing someone who is worse?

You’re the one who was saying Fabinho hasn’t played as well as Can for us, right?
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and that’s being very conservative. So that’s £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head that’s £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer