Author Topic: Squad priorities  (Read 24392 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Squad priorities
« Reply #520 on: June 12, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
If I was picking players and I'm not (Sad day for you all)

LB - Nathan Ake
Winger - Nicolas Pepe
AM/CF - Joao Felix

Would be nice but you're talking well over 150m notes for that trio. Seems unlikely we spend that much unless we sell somebody.

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #521 on: June 12, 2019, 07:10:26 PM »
Would be nice but you're talking well over 150m notes for that trio. Seems unlikely we spend that much unless we sell somebody.

I know but it would be nice ;D
If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

Offline Kochevnik

• Believer
« Reply #522 on: June 12, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
5 years ago it was always super easy to predict our summer, since we knew months or even a year ahead of time who we were after. Now it's buttoned up quite tightly indeed, but I'll give it a try anyway.

In
Angelino - £15m
Werner - £50m
Etheridge - £10m

I have no idea who we'll go for at left back and I know Angelino only left last year to move to PSV from City's academy but he's been brilliant in the Eredivisie and I can't think of another dark horse there. Etheridge is the only keeper the media has linked us to as far as I can tell so who knows there? And as for Werner, I think if he were going to Bayern he'd already be there and Leipzig are hoping to sell him to someone outside the Bundesliga. Where would he fit better than here? Nowhere. Ergo I think that's more likely than some other mooted choices like Pepe.

As for funding these purchases, I think we should be able to almost entirely cover it between wages and fees from the departures of a couple of big-wage players like Sturridge and Moreno and fees from the likes of Wilson and Kent. Of course, if we do sell Lovren I expect us to replace him but the £25m he brings in would cover a decent replacement and you'd have to think we'd look at someone younger who would be on lower wages as well.

Should be a summer where financially, we can sort of keep our powder dry for next year and then maybe make a big bet on a young potential superstar again.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Rouge

• Believer
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #523 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
I would go with

LB: Sessegnon
FW: Neres (I have seen him play a few times and think he would contemplate our front three's playing style)
And a midfielder in the Fekir mode - but hasn't got glass knees

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #524 on: June 12, 2019, 11:54:26 PM »
FW: Neres (I have seen him play a few times and think he would contemplate our front three's playing style)

Would you say he's a thinking man's footballer?

Offline AmanShah21

• Kopite
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2019, 01:37:20 AM »
I'd go -

GK - Reina (should be super cheap)

LB - Tierney

FW - Lozano

If Dejan Leaves, then CB - Konate

We could literally do all the above transfers for a net spend of less than 50 million.

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #526 on: June 13, 2019, 05:15:44 AM »
I know I've asked this before but no one has responded: What about Adam Lewis? Is there a reason why he is suddenly seen as not good enough to be a backup for Robertson? He seems invisible now, across threads that are discussing LB backups.  ???
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #527 on: June 13, 2019, 07:34:17 AM »
About LB, has anyone seen Anderson Arroyo in action? If so, is he ready to play for the first team?
We signed him last year...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ThePoolMan

• Believer
« Reply #528 on: June 13, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
We aren't signing De Light. The wages that he wants, are more than any of our other players. We aren't breaking our wage structure for him.

I wanted to laugh when I read the reports about how much his agent was asking for him. Yes, De Ligt is good and has an unearthly degree of talent and potential, and has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world for the next 20 years. But asking for Neymar level money at this stage of his very young career shows where his priorities are, and what level of hunger he has to be the very best he can be. Instead if he were really desiring to be the very best he can be, he would be pushing to join a club where he can be challenged to play at the very highest level against the toughest opponents and in a defensive unit which consists of defenders who are already at a higher level than him and from whom he can learn from, with a manager and coaching staff who have a track record of making good players great. A team like ours.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #529 on: June 13, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
About LB, has anyone seen Anderson Arroyo in action? If so, is he ready to play for the first team?
Does he not have work permit issues

Online RyanBabel19

• Believer
« Reply #530 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »

Work permit issues much like Allan and Awoniyi

Online Kekuleyule y'all!

• Believer
« Reply #531 on: June 13, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
I wanted to laugh when I read the reports about how much his agent was asking for him. Yes, De Ligt is good and has an unearthly degree of talent and potential, and has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world for the next 20 years. But asking for Neymar level money at this stage of his very young career shows where his priorities are, and what level of hunger he has to be the very best he can be. Instead if he were really desiring to be the very best he can be, he would be pushing to join a club where he can be challenged to play at the very highest level against the toughest opponents and in a defensive unit which consists of defenders who are already at a higher level than him and from whom he can learn from, with a manager and coaching staff who have a track record of making good players great. A team like ours.

You hire Raiola as your agent for a reason.  De Ligt and those around him don't live in a bubble, it's not like they didn't know what Raiola is and what he does.  They knew full well that going with him means, first and foremost, getting the most money you can possibly get.

It's fair enough though, if someone's daft enough to pay you that much then it's perfectly understandable that you would take it.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Red since '64
« Reply #532 on: June 13, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
If we’re looking at a quality addition for the front three, there’s a player who is still only 25 (which surprised me), and who has only perhaps last season begun to fulfil his potential. An obvious issue is that our record of signing players from his current club is legion.

Nonetheless I think he’s on an upward trajectory and ticks lots of boxes.

Nathan Redmond.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #533 on: June 13, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »
If we’re looking at a quality addition for the front three, there’s a player who is still only 25 (which surprised me), and who has only perhaps last season begun to fulfil his potential. An obvious issue is that our record of signing players from his current club is legion.

Nathan Redmond.

Yes. Well, it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle, and the less said about the end, the better. But, apart from that, excellent.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #534 on: June 13, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »

Nathan Redmond.

Get out and don't ever show your face in here again ;D

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Red since '64
« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »
Get out and don't ever show your face in here again ;D

Right. I’m going fishing. After fish😄
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Believer
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
I think Raphael Guerriero would be a good signing. Could cover LB and offers versatility similar to Oxlade (but with a bit more experience at LB). Dortmund will be looking to cash in given their signings this summer.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
I think Raphael Guerriero would be a good signing. Could cover LB and offers versatility similar to Oxlade (but with a bit more experience at LB). Dortmund will be looking to cash in given their signings this summer.

Only 1 year left on his contract

Online RyanBabel19

• Believer
« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »

How good is he defensively? Only seen him play a few times and understand he gets moved position a good deal.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Believer
« Reply #539 on: June 13, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Somehow we are still in the running for DeLigt (it seems he is destined for PSG at this stage, which itself is a damning indictment on his character)

We aren't in the running for De Ligt. That's always been obvious since United and PSG started offering high wages. Maybe obvious even before that.

However, how can anyone say its a damnng indictment of his character to join PSG. I get the argument that he is moving to the 5th best league in Europe. I get the argument that he's not going to be pushed professionally in Ligue 1 as much as he would in the PL or La Liga.

However on the flip side he's a 19 year old being offered an out of this World contract. It would put him as one of the highest paid players in the World. If he takes the contract he'll be having to slum it in Paris! One of the best cities in Europe. Particularly if you  15-18M sloshing around in your pocket every year. He'll get to play alongside some other great players - Veratti, Neymar and Mbappé to name a few- for a team that has realistic ambitions of competing for the CL every year. A team that will win domestic trophies every season. The chances of things going wrong with that type of move is much more limited than if he went to United for example.

Put yourself in his shoes. If in your line of work a company offered you double your wages to live in one of the best cities in the World for one of the best companies in your field and you knew the chance of success was high and the workload was probably not as intense as at rival companies. Would you take the job?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Believer
« Reply #540 on: June 13, 2019, 03:35:21 PM »

Nice shout, always been a fan of his. He might be a little too good to sit on the bench behind Robbo

Offline kaesarsosei

• Anny Roader
« Reply #541 on: June 13, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
We aren't in the running for De Ligt. That's always been obvious since United and PSG started offering high wages. Maybe obvious even before that.

However, how can anyone say its a damnng indictment of his character to join PSG. I get the argument that he is moving to the 5th best league in Europe. I get the argument that he's not going to be pushed professionally in Ligue 1 as much as he would in the PL or La Liga.

However on the flip side he's a 19 year old being offered an out of this World contract. It would put him as one of the highest paid players in the World. If he takes the contract he'll be having to slum it in Paris! One of the best cities in Europe. Particularly if you  15-18M sloshing around in your pocket every year. He'll get to play alongside some other great players - Veratti, Neymar and Mbappé to name a few- for a team that has realistic ambitions of competing for the CL every year. A team that will win domestic trophies every season. The chances of things going wrong with that type of move is much more limited than if he went to United for example.

Put yourself in his shoes. If in your line of work a company offered you double your wages to live in one of the best cities in the World for one of the best companies in your field and you knew the chance of success was high and the workload was probably not as intense as at rival companies. Would you take the job?

The mistake you are making is comparing only Liverpool to PSG. Yes he would be a fool to turn down (and my figures are rough estimates based on what is going around), let's say £300k a week from PSG to join us on £150k. But I'm pretty sure if Barcelona or even Madrid were genuinely interested in him (and I suspect at least one of them seriously was), then either of those clubs while not matching £300k would certainly go to £250k. Barcelona have the highest wage bill in world sport.

You also can't compare his job to most other people's. No one knows or cares who I am am, but as a professional footballer that £50k a week wage "cut" to join Barcelona buys a prestige and fame that PSG will never give him. Ask Neymar who I can guarantee would take a slight pay cut to go back to Barcelona or join Madrid.

All this before you consider League Un is a joke league in terms of competition, PSG are shit in Europe, and there are rumblings that Qatar want to actually scale back their spending which would hurt PSG in the long run (although splurging £300k+ a week on DeLight makes a mockery of those rumours).

Offline DanA

• Believer
Squad priorities
« Reply #542 on: June 14, 2019, 02:55:43 AM »
Nice shout, always been a fan of his. He might be a little too good to sit on the bench behind Robbo

I agree he’s too good to sit on the bench but I think he could have a role similar to Milner. He’s a very good, high tempo midfielder a bit like Oxlade which is different to our other options. He’s also a better option out wide than Keita, Milner or Lallana who we asked to play wide occasionally last season.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:59:43 AM by DanA »
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline DanA

• Believer
« Reply #543 on: June 14, 2019, 02:58:17 AM »
How good is he defensively? Only seen him play a few times and understand he gets moved position a good deal.

He’s weaker defending but okay. It’d be hard to find another complete leftback like Robbo and with how much our fullbacks create I think I’d rather the offensive option.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Believer
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #544 on: June 14, 2019, 03:06:20 AM »
You hire Raiola as your agent for a reason.  De Ligt and those around him don't live in a bubble, it's not like they didn't know what Raiola is and what he does.  They knew full well that going with him means, first and foremost, getting the most money you can possibly get.

It's fair enough though, if someone's daft enough to pay you that much then it's perfectly understandable that you would take it.

Plus getting a massive pay check as a CB at 19 at PSG still allows you to develop as a player and make a move to a bigger club in 3-4 years. It’s actually good for his development.
Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Believer
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #545 on: June 14, 2019, 04:52:41 AM »
Plus getting a massive pay check as a CB at 19 at PSG still allows you to develop as a player and make a move to a bigger club in 3-4 years. It’s actually good for his development.

Provided you're good enough to justify those wages going forward. Otherwise you've got a nice pair of golden handcuffs.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Believer
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
    • Some Film Reviews what I dun
« Reply #546 on: June 14, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »

How does getting a massive pay check allow you to develop as a player? I would have thought having a great coach and a defensive partner who can talk you through situations in training and match situations would be better.

It seems obvious De Ligt is going to be able to earn himself absolute top dollar in football. Now, the question is how he wants to develop his skills and experience to become one of the best defenders in the game. On the performance level and incentives available, as well as squad profile, Liverpool would be far and away the best choice for him as a professional.

However, we all think his price is too high compared to Liverpool's priority list of transfers,
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Believer
« Reply #547 on: June 14, 2019, 01:41:05 PM »
The mistake you are making is comparing only Liverpool to PSG. Yes he would be a fool to turn down (and my figures are rough estimates based on what is going around), let's say £300k a week from PSG to join us on £150k. But I'm pretty sure if Barcelona or even Madrid were genuinely interested in him (and I suspect at least one of them seriously was), then either of those clubs while not matching £300k would certainly go to £250k. Barcelona have the highest wage bill in world sport.

Barcelona won't be offering him £250k p/w. That would make him in the top 3-5 paid players in their squad.

Based on reports the suggestion was that Barcelona's contract offer was approx. 50% of the others on the table (PSG and United) but did have some additional performance related incentives.

I agree about the prestige piece. I agree about Ligue 1 being an inferior league. But double your wages is going to turn the heads of almost 99% of people in any walk of life. He's also joining a club with realistic aims of winning the CL and located in one of the best cities in the World.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline simesy

• Believer
« Reply #548 on: June 14, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
I want to see a top Lb someone to compete with robbo not just a fill in. If we have to spend big on one then so be it. If migs goes and karius has no future here then another keeper someone who can be considered one for the future. Any other signing a bonus.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline blacksun

• Believer
« Reply #549 on: June 14, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
Barcelona won't be offering him £250k p/w. That would make him in the top 3-5 paid players in their squad.

Based on reports the suggestion was that Barcelona's contract offer was approx. 50% of the others on the table (PSG and United) but did have some additional performance related incentives.

I agree about the prestige piece. I agree about Ligue 1 being an inferior league. But double your wages is going to turn the heads of almost 99% of people in any walk of life. He's also joining a club with realistic aims of winning the CL and located in one of the best cities in the World.

Cant agree with that at all, PSG haven't realistically challenged for the CL at all and Paris is not one of the best cities in the world

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats!
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://twitter.com/CaponsSausages
« Reply #550 on: June 14, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
If I was picking players and I'm not (Sad day for you all)

LB - Nathan Ake
Winger - Nicolas Pepe
AM/CF - Joao Felix
Dont wanna piss on anyones chips,but,think you should be a little more realistic with your wishlist,like Tepid was,and just ask for Nipple clamps
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://twitter.com/Kabu_Dracus

Offline Sarge

• Fucker
  • Believer
  • Ahh Ha!!
« Reply #551 on: June 14, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »
Dont wanna piss on anyones chips,but,think you should be a little more realistic with your wishlist,like Tepid was,and just ask for Nipple clamps

Whats not real about that list?
If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #552 on: June 14, 2019, 11:26:42 PM »

Has he PM’d you that Amazon wishlist too? Cheeky kinky bugger.
“We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.“ Zlen, 30/12/18

Offline BTGH

• Main Stander
« Reply #553 on: June 15, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »
Would anyone think Kelleher or Grabara be considered as good enough as our first team keeper in the future?  If they are, and should Mignolet leave, then I suggest we should be getting an experienced backup keeper (like those at least 33-35 years old) for the next 2 years, and allow these young lads time to continue their development and opportunities to get first team minutes.
Perhaps this should also be done in the same way for the LB position if Adam Lewis is deemed to be too inexperienced at this moment to serve as backup for Robbo...

Offline leftfooter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #554 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
Ideally we'd find ourselves a utility defender like Arbeloa who can play anywhere across the back four comfortably. We sort of did that with Fabinho but the awkward devil decided to get too good to lose from centre-midfield.

Do we need a Coutinho replacement? Someone who can play the creative midfield role, but can also rotate into one of the front three like he used to do? Shaqiri, Lallana and AOC can all do this.

I think the more urgent requirement is a player up front who can play Bobby's role. Next season is too soon to rely on Brewster doing that. I've not seen that much of Brewster, could he do a job in Mane and Mo's positions out wide?

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Believer
« Reply #555 on: June 15, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »
Would anyone think Kelleher or Grabara be considered as good enough as our first team keeper in the future?  If they are, and should Mignolet leave, then I suggest we should be getting an experienced backup keeper (like those at least 33-35 years old) for the next 2 years, and allow these young lads time to continue their development and opportunities to get first team minutes.
Perhaps this should also be done in the same way for the LB position if Adam Lewis is deemed to be too inexperienced at this moment to serve as backup for Robbo...

I don't think it's the inexperience that is holding Lewis back, if he's good enough Klopp will give him the opportunity

Offline Rick-40

• Might be missing a 'p'. If found, please return to RAWK Towers in a stamped SAE for a reward.
  • Believer
« Reply #556 on: June 16, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
1. Ideally, someone who plays both lb and rb, not very young, and who don't mind sitting on the bench. Cylne is that player, but i don't think he prefers that role, unless we offer juicy contact, and in my opinion we should, if that makes him stay.

2. A GK, i assume Mignolet will leave.

3. Attacking midfield

4. Striker
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:46:02 AM by Rick-40 »
P

Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly,
The Fields of Anfield Road,
We are loyal supporters,
And we come from around the world!

Allez, Allez, Allez...

Online Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #557 on: June 16, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
1. Ideally, someone who plays both lb and rb, not very young, and who don't mind sitting on the bench. Cylne is that player, but i don't think he prefers that role, unless we offer juicy contact, and in my opinion we should, if that makes him stay.

2. A GK, i assume Mignolet will leave.

3. Attacking midfield

4. Striker
I don’t agree on 3 and 4.

We don’t need an attacking midfielder.  We’ve got 4 who can play there.

And a striker? That’s someone who puts the ball in the net.  We won’t sign one because that’s Brewster’s role next year.

We sign someone who can play across the front 3 and can press.  That Kruse lad from Germany wouldn’t surprise me at all. He’s experienced and on free. He won’t expect to play lots.
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline Agent99

• Believer
« Reply #558 on: June 16, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
I don’t agree on 3 and 4.

We don’t need an attacking midfielder.  We’ve got 4 who can play there.

And a striker? That’s someone who puts the ball in the net.  We won’t sign one because that’s Brewster’s role next year.

We sign someone who can play across the front 3 and can press.  That Kruse lad from Germany wouldn’t surprise me at all. He’s experienced and on free. He won’t expect to play lots.
I could see this as well. Would be disappointing but I suppose it depends how much faith the Management have in Origi and Brewster.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats!
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://twitter.com/CaponsSausages
« Reply #559 on: June 16, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
Right. I’m going fishing. After fish😄
Are things really that bad mate?

You can get 50 fishfingers for a quid at Farmfoods.
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://twitter.com/Kabu_Dracus