Author Topic: Match Preview: Liverpool F.C. vs. Chelsea F.C. (Sun April 14th, KO 16:30)  (Read 36230 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Demons, we all have them. However in every walk of life, especially sport, you will be blessed with opportunities that allow you to exorcise those demons from your past. The last time Liverpool faced Chelsea in April with as much riding on the game we all know what transpired, it felt like the dreams of millions had been dashed and someone had sucked the oxygen out of any fantasies we had of returning to our perch. It was a tough period of my life and the only solace I could find was watching Luis Suarez make a mockery of the league on a regular basis. I still remember vividly the angst and pain I felt on that day. I think it's fitting that one of the only men left at the club since that fateful day is our captain. Maybe it's not fair to say had he been available that day we would have won comfortably but we definitely would have come a whole lot closer. Many of that team have left for pastures new or retired from football completely so it is more the club and the fan base that still harbour these demons. Come Sunday they will be banished forever as we move closer to regaining our seat at the very pinnacle of football in this country.

Although not historical rivals, for a supporter of my vintage Chelsea became the subject of our ire when Roman Abramovich bought the club in June 2003. At the time Chelsea were a solid side in the league but everything changed over night, suddenly becoming the trashy nouveau riche kids on the block. We could not compete with them financially that is for sure, but there are certain things money can't buy and never was this more apparent than on a Tuesday night in May 2005. You see for all the money and success Chelsea have had in the last fifteen years they will never be the same as us. We are different, whether it's the diametrically opposed political leanings of the fan bases or how the clubs are viewed across the globe no one could ever mistake us for each other. We were managed by a humble and classy Spaniard who became one of us. His wife and kids remaining on Merseyside long after he had been shafted by the two cowboys. There are many stories from his time here to highlight the sort of man he was but the most poignant, in my opinion, was his donation of £96000 to the HFSG. Chelsea on the other hand were managed by a man so egotistical if he was chocolate he would eat himself. He embodied everything we dislike about that club and we thank our lucky stars he never poxed his way in to a job with us.

The rivalry has all but disappeared in the last few years as there has been no titanic European fixtures between the two for some time now but the dislike remains. It will always be there, for someone not from the city of Liverpool I still take great pride in it and view it as the metaphorical home of my heart and do not take kindly to the right wing tory shite that will no doubt be trotted out by the away fans on Sunday. On paper this is our toughest remaining match so if we collect the three points here we will be set up perfectly for the remaining games.

Looking towards the match itself it would be foolish to focus all our attention on Eden Hazard as Chelsea do still have one or two more stars but there is no denying the fact that nullifying Hazard would give us the best chance of claiming all three points. Jurgen may look to do this through different combinations in midfield or a change in the back line. Had Joe Gomez been a bit further along in his recovery I wouldn't have been surprised to see him come in for Trent to offer a bit more defensive nous on our right hand flank. As it is the only real question in defence is who partners our majestic centre half? I can see arguments being made for both players and it is a tough choice but personally I would always opt for Joel Matip. For all his weaknesses in the air and up against bullish centre forwards I feel he is best equipped to deal with that threat of Hazard roaming off his left wing starting position. Of course stopping a player like Hazard is a team effort and I hope to see either a fresh again Gini or manic Henderson on the right hand side of a midfield three. If there is one thing for certain they will make it an uncomfortable Sunday afternoon on Merseyside for Hazard. I would go with Fabinho and Keita to partner one of Hendserson or Gini and the rest of the team picks itself.

Focusing on what we'll look to do when we have the ball ourselves I think it's more of the same after last night. We played at a real tempo for large periods that Porto just couldn't live with. We moved the ball quickly and precisely through the lines and we could have scored a bucket load really. Henderson and Keita performed well in tandem and we seemed to always have plenty of numbers forward. Sarri doesn't seem like one to park the bus although he did park a somewhat bendy bus at Wembley against City in the League Cup final. If he does go for that option again then we are well equipped to deal with it this time. The running in support off the ball by the midfield was exceptional and allowed to us steamroll our way through any blockade erected in front of us with consummate ease.

Head-to-head vs. Chelsea

Won: 77
Drawn: 41
Lost: 63

Form

Liverpool: WWWWD
Chelsea: WWWLD

Match Officials

Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett
Fourth official: Craig Pawson

This is another in the ever increasing list of cup finals masquerading as league matches, we have five more of these nerve wracking fixtures left with no respite on its way until the 12th of May. So why not listen to our manager and enjoy ourselves. Channel that nervous energy in to something positive and the possibilities are endless. Almost as one this team and fan base have realised just how good we are, we can strut about the place assured in the knowledge that we are a big time football team with big time players. We are a team and fan base built for moments like this, rightfully in the thick of it when the big trophies are being handed out. Anyone going the game get in early, have a few beers, wax those lyrical chords and show those plastic fans and players what its like to play for a real big club. For anyone watching at home or in the pub use your power of imagination to see yourself standing on the kop and sing your heart out too. The time for shitting your pants has been and gone, we are winning this Sunday and we're winning this league title for the first time in my life. From doubters in to believers, that was all that was asked of us when we started on this journey with Herr Klopp. If you don't believe now then you never will, we haven't been set up for success like this since the 80s. Opposition fans and players, pundits, commentators etc. are all running scared and chatting absolute wham about us. We have them rattled, they know what this club can be like when it reaches its full potential. The redmen are coming up the hill, starting this Sunday and not stopping until the 1st of June.

In the words of the spion kop ''Fuck off Chelsea fc''
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

In the words of the spion kop ''Fuck off Chelsea fc''

This. And three points, please.

Great opening post, thanks!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
A lot of our fans are shitting themselves about facing Hazard. Bottom line is, we're a better team than them and if we play well we'll win. The media will no doubt bang on repeatedly about 2013/14 in the build up but that has no relevance to this game whatsoever. This team is on a different level to that one both ability wise and mentally.

2-0 to us.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Great opening.

Think Keita drops to the bench for this and it'll be Hendo, Gini and Fab brick wall.

Chelsea don't need to win it as such but the 3/4/5 battle carries on.

Think we've all bored ourselves senseless with Hazard ruining it for us but Chelsea haven't done much away from Stamford Bridge.

Suspect they will rest a few on Thursday although they can't risk a defeat.

Get an early goal and they'll open up but Chelsea have scored first the two times we've played them this season so keep it tight.

Think Salah is due a worldie against this lot.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Most difficult fixture in the league left for us [they're all difficult but this one being the most imo].

We have a relatively poor record against them at home in the last 7 years, although we really should have won last season, we were the better side. Hazard already has scored twice against us, and seems to play better against us in recent seasons, he's back in form again so we really need to do everything possible to minimize the impact he has on the game.

Don't allow Jorginho to dictate the midfield either.

Not sure what we do for our midfield, you would have to assume that Wijnaldum starts after the break he got yesterday. Henderson has been playing well, Keita has done well in the last two games, and Fabinho has been solid as well. Klopp has gone with his trusted 3 in midfield in big games [not all of them but in several of them]. So what does he do this time around?

Think that Mane will be the crucial key in this match, to stretch their back four, and I expect that they will minimize Salah as best as possible.

Any win any how any way.

Becker

Trent
Matip
Van Dijk
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Henderson
Keita

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Good work Flash!

Are we having a minutes silence here? I dunno if we'd still do it knowing these rats will absolutely ruin it. Think we did applause last year didn't we? And silence the year before v Dortmund so I'm not sure what we'll do. Anyone know?

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Another big game where we need to focus and concentrate. I think the midfield will be key and I think we'll play Fabinho and Henderson. I don't think Keita is the right player so it will either be Gini or maybe Milner.

Defensively we need to be tight. Upfront we have enough to tear them apart.

Hopefully it will be a comfortable 2-0 win.
#JFT97

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Great OP, and rallying cry in the final paragraph!

This fixture fills many a Red with dread, but this is not the Chelsea of old. However, it remains a game fraught with danger, Eden Hazard loves a performance at Anfield, and Sarri has finally realised playing Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek is giving them a bit more pace and impetus in their play.

For our part, I think Matip comes in for Lovren, and other than that we are unchanged. Trent, Matip and Hendo have a big job on their hands on our right, they will play long to Hazard and look to load that side of the pitch.

If we snuff out that threat, then we'll win the game. We've got so many tools that can hurt that Chelsea backline and hopefully the demons are laid to rest this weekend.

Up the Reds. We've got this.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
A midfield of Fabinho Wijnaldum and Henderson is far too conservative, unless you play Henderson as an 8 and have him do what he's done in the last two games.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Great opening.

Think Keita drops to the bench for this and it'll be Hendo, Gini and Fab brick wall.

Chelsea don't need to win it as such but the 3/4/5 battle carries on.

Think we've all bored ourselves senseless with Hazard ruining it for us but Chelsea haven't done much away from Stamford Bridge.

Suspect they will rest a few on Thursday although they can't risk a defeat.

Get an early goal and they'll open up but Chelsea have scored first the two times we've played them this season so keep it tight.

Great OP, thanks

Think we scored first in the League Cup, not that it matters as it’ll be two different sets of players.

I’m hoping we stick with last nights midfield 3 but suspect you’re right that Gini comes back in, just wonder whether we’ll also see Milner in for Fabinho.

Hope we start fast and hit them hard early as they don’t seem to have much resilience, although annoyingly seem to have found a little form in the last few weeks.

I don’t think there’s any getting away from the influence the earlier game that day may have, here’s hoping Palace provide a boost and we capitalise by getting a long overdue home victory. I think the next week and a half could go a long way to deciding what happens at the end.

A massive massive game which we WILL win.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:26:27 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
I will honestly be amazed if this isn't a draw.

No matter who their manager is or how they're performing the league, Chelsea somehow always turn up at Anfield and play well. And while they haven't been great this season and we're a way ahead of them points-wise, I just feel they'll frustrate us once again. I'm not gonna bang on about Hazard, but the little git seems to love playing at Anfield and always plays well against Liverpool.

If we're gonna drop points in these last 5 games, this will be it.

1-1
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
Sick of them coming to Anfield and shithousing a result since 2012 in the league. They’re very soft mentally under Sarri so if we start well and score early we could end up hammering them.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
nullifying Hazard will be crucial

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
I believe we will win this. We are in good form and Chelsea are sloppy form away from home plus we have two more days to prepare for sunday than they do.

They have the players in midfield to frustrate us however their defence can be got at.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the OP, it's time for redemption.

For all the talk of Hazard and Hudson Odoi I think our best way to nullify them is to have them go the other way. Just how motivated are they to defend against the likes of Salah and Mane? Their form has seen some what of a rise but we've been brilliant all season. They lost 4-0 at Bournemouth, 6-0 at City and 2-0 at Everton, 2-0 at Arsenal, 2-1 at Wolves and 3-1 at Spurs and guess what? Hazard played in everyone of them games. Their results have been all over the place a real inconsistent side you could say given they are third but Chelsea at home and Chelsea away is a totally different beast.

Play to our fullest, be angry and have a great atmosphere in the crowd and I think we'll win this.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Is Sarri likely to rest players on Thursday for their game against the second-placed-Czech-club (can't be bothered to google)?

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
Great read that OP - thanks for that.

This might be a bigger occasion and spectacle than some of our remaining games but it won't necessarily be the biggest challenge. We'll have to wait and see on that one won't we?

I'm hoping the Plastic Twats don't raise their game too much for this fixture. If that's the case then we should be in for a fairly routine win. If they do? Well then we might be in for a bit of excitement after which I still expect us to still gain the 3 points by hook or by crook.

Ummm… just had the inevitable thought - who's the ref? Edit: Aye see that now - Oliver it is then. Best of a bad bunch.

C'mon yoooouuuu Reds!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:49:37 pm by SinceSixtyFive »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Demba Ba isn't somehow available for selection is he

Hopefully Hazard gets nobbled in their Europa game
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

• Legacy Fan
Demba Ba isn't somehow available for selection is he

Hopefully Hazard gets nobbled in their Europa game

He probably won't even play on Thursday

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Personally think if you bully Jorginho you beat Chelsea...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If there's any game left in the league we might fuck up in, it's this one. And by "fuck up" I mean a draw.   :D

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Excellent OP

I'm usually bullish....but this tie is my leveller. Simply because of the demons.

Logically thinking, we are better...we can beat them...we should beat them and there's no reason to fear them.

But there's just them demons. I will be nervous as fuck until this game is over and am not afraid to say so.

Any kind of win will do, am glad Michael Oliver is taking charge as he's one of the refs I actually rate.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

• Legacy Fan
If there's any game left in the league we might fuck up in, it's this one. And by "fuck up" I mean a draw.   :D

I agree. Not overly optimistic about it. But we do have the mentality to fight so I am expecting that at the very least.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Our recent home record against Chelsea. As stated above we haven't beaten them at home for very nearly 7 years - 8 matches.

Date          Score   Result
26/09/18   1 : 2   L
25/11/17   1 : 1   D
31/01/17   1 : 1   D
11/05/16   1 : 1   D
20/01/15   1 : 1   D
08/11/14   1 : 2   L
27/04/14   0 : 2   L
21/04/13   2 : 2   D
08/05/12   4 : 1   W
05/05/12   1 : 2   L
07/11/10   2 : 0   W
02/05/10   0 : 2   L
08/04/09   1 : 3   L
01/02/09   2 : 0   W
22/04/08   1 : 1   D

That's a stat that this team is well able to correct though, and even if not, the simple law of averages should be in our favour.

Regarding the hatred - for me that is long in the past when Morinho was there. I can't say I like them, but I don't hate them. Maybe that would be different if I sat in the stadium with them, but I don't live in the UK any more.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:15:13 pm by KurtVerbose »
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
God, that’s an appalling record. Didn’t realise it was that bad.

The memories of 2014 still hurt to be honest, that was sickening. The way they time wasted from the opening minutes and the way it all played out so inevitably from THAT moment onwards ... horrible.

We owe them. Big time.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Sturridge and Mignolet are still at the club too
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
It's at Anfield. It's Chelsea. We are a damn good side. We want the 3 points. We are going to win
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
That game in 13/14 has stuck with me for a long time. And NOT because of Gerrard's slip.

I'll never forget the game just had this horrible foreboding feeling to it.

Cech was time wasting on his goal kicks as early as 2 or 3 minutes in. Their defenders were down pretending to tie their laces, wiping the ball on throw-ins - literally anything they could do to slow the game down they would do it - all tactics of course drilled into them before the game by the repellent Mourinho. Tomas Kalas played in that game for them and was excellent, he never got a look in before or after which is typical.

When they scored 'that' goal, Liverpool just panicked and Rodgers wasn't good enough as a manager to go into the game in a different way. I always felt he should have known Mourinho would spoil it and adapted our approach.

We owe this lot, we owe them big time.

I suppose a lot of that is why I think they'll come and spoil things again and pick up a draw. They've got a very good record at Anfield. I hope maybe we can get a kind of redemption and win this one - I'm not massively confident but who knows..

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
Tomas Kalas played in that game for them and was excellent, he never got a look in before or after which is typical.
I don't remember their team that well, but what was so significant about this Kalas guy playing?

I think Stevie blamed Rodgers for the defeat because we were too gung-ho and should've been more cautious against a team like Mourinho's Chelsea..

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
I don't remember their team that well, but what was so significant about this Kalas guy playing?

I think Stevie blamed Rodgers for the defeat because we were too gung-ho and should've been more cautious against a team like Mourinho's Chelsea..

It's because Kalas was an unknown youth player that never got a look in at Chelsea, and seeing his name on the teamsheet that day playing in an away game at Anfield against Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling - people were licking their lips, but he came in and played really well for them and we never really had a sniff.

After that he barely played another game for them and I think ended up in the championship at Reading or someone similar. Similar to Macheda at United  ::)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I suppose a lot of that is why I think they'll come and spoil things again and pick up a draw. They've got a very good record at Anfield. I hope maybe we can get a kind of redemption and win this one - I'm not massively confident but who knows..

If they do, the crowd has a responsibility to do whatever it can to counteract that. More of the Spurs atmosphere rather than the Leicester atmosphere. No feelings of helplessness or inevitability if they score, or if we don't for 60 minutes or anything. It all contributes

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
When did he say that?

I never really thought we were too gung-ho in that game.  Without the slip we get at least the draw that we needed.  I actually think Gerrard tried too hard to make up for his error by trying too many shots in the second half.

Anyway, hopefully we put these ghosts to rest on Sunday.  I'm going 3-1 to the reds

• Legacy Fan
The problem with that game was that we didn't have a plan b, we didn't have a plan for breaking them down.

This team has faced teams like this all season long, and hopefully if Chelsea do play that way again, that we'll be able to get through it.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Same MF as Porto for me, Id personally also like to see Gomez back,  but suspect Klopp will retain one of Lovren/Matip.

Robbo coming back is a no brainer.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This feels like it's a potentially pivotal weekend in the destination of the league title. By kick off this could feel like the weekend it's decided even.

Keeping our heads in whatever the circumstances are will be the all important thing here. For players and fans alike. Were better than them. Player and fans alike. Remember that. Stay cool. Up the fucking reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
When did he say that?

I never really thought we were too gung-ho in that game.  Without the slip we get at least the draw that we needed.  I actually think Gerrard tried too hard to make up for his error by trying too many shots in the second half.

Anyway, hopefully we put these ghosts to rest on Sunday.  I'm going 3-1 to the reds

We weren't gung-ho at all in that game. It was heading for quite a boring 0-0 with them sitting in their own third and us dominating possession but not creating chances. 0-0 and we would have taken the win at Palace rather than chase goal difference and we would have won the league.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We weren't gung-ho at all in that game. It was heading for quite a boring 0-0 with them sitting in their own third and us dominating possession but not creating chances. 0-0 and we would have taken the win at Palace rather than chase goal difference and we would have won the league.

Let's as best we can keep this thread for this Chelsea game. Pretty sure we could all post our takes on Chelsea 2014 for the rest of our time alive. It was a bad day however you want to slice it, let's hope Sunday is better. 
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
City play right before us don't they? If they drop points, then this automatically becomes the biggest league game we've played in 29 years. Bigger than the Chelsea game in 2014 simply because of what we're up against now and how insanely difficult winning this title will be. Back on the blood pressure meds for Sunday it is then.

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
Yes, City play Palace before us and good old Uncle Hodgson could do us a massive favour but I won't be holding my breath just yet.

.....and what's the betting Sky have Gerrard's slip on permanent loop from now until 4 p.m. Sunday.  Wankers
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
Whats eerie about this Chelsea game is City also played Palace in 2013-14 that weekend. They were away and we were at home and they had a game in hand. Its crazy how similar it is

Would be nice if the results reversed with us winning 2-0 and City losing 2-0 =)

Chelsea away form is pretty bad but they always seem to turn up against us.

Think we can win this and really hope its a midfield of Fabinho, Henderson, Keita again as that was our best midfield performance this season I think. Let Milner, Gini and someone else play against Porto away.

Think we win this 2-0 or 3-1.

Hope City drop points before our game as Anfield will be rocking even more so.