Author Topic: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).  (Read 147665 times)

Online Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).
« Reply #1080 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
I'd also argue Felipe Anderson is clearly the teams best player and they should be worried they're going to lose him this upcoming summer.  If I was LFC I'd be in for him to play the Fekir type role for sure.

And he's the right side of 26 so we'll be getting him in his peak year. Although it'll be all downhill in around 15 months.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1081 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
This belongs more in the player thread than the transfer thread but Shaqiri is not a midfielder.  At least not as most people define a midfielder in that they're well rounded players that contribute offensively and defensively somewhat equally.  Then the question becomes is he an "attacking midfielder"?  To me that just gets to the tactics of the team in question in that is he playing with less defensive responsibility than other midfielders?  Klopp has already clearly stated that as of the moment he cannot handle the defensive responsibilities that he would expect in a midfield role.  Then you look at his history where regardless of the club or even for his national team he's almost always been one of the furthest forward players on the pitch.  He is a forward and always has been.

Does that mean he cannot play in the midfield space?  Of course not but without proper balance of the squad in other places you may make the team weaker as a whole by having him out there and not one of the furthest forward.

As with RF’s post, I think we’re essentially on the same page.

The most high profile example of an attacking midfielder (not an out and out striker) whose defensive chores are negligible, and thus, as you suggest, compensated for with team structure, is Lionel Messi. He offers such match winning prowess in goals and assists, that keen observers might neglect to notice that on the (admittedly few) occasions when Barca are under the cosh, and not dominating the ball, he’s actually a defensive liability.

It’s an extreme example, and the trade off is so one-sided as to make my point moot. But team building by elite managers involves such machinations - it’s what makes the likes of Klopp and Guardiola special.

Enough anyway, I don’t wish to derail the thread.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:02:57 PM by Robinred »
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1082 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:21 PM »
That's not all we need, you strengthen your attacking threat and you maximize the longevity of the other front three. Fekir isn't capable of playing in the same position. He's a 10, perhaps can play as an 8, but he's not a wide player by any means.

Yes the money is obscene but in today's market and the money that we've recouped with CL and whatever else happens this season,it shouldn't be an issue.

Can't look at a side with just full focus on the same starting XI. Look at City and the options they have in the final third.

Another player in the attacking third with end product is definitely a must.

I'm not sure how saying "we should buy him" is the same as "all we need".  Fekir could play in the front line and as a #8, same as Anderson.  The point of spending big money on either though is that in an ideal line-up you're playing Fekir or Anderson at the 8 behind Mane, Salah and Firmino.

Edit: This is also why the Naby stuff is so ridiculous.  He was never brought in to play as the furthest forward midfielder nor has he ever played that way until now.  Yet that's what we're doing with him and wondering why it's not the same?  Again context....

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #1083 on: January 11, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
I'm not sure how saying "we should buy him" is the same as "all we need".  Fekir could play in the front line and as a #8, same as Anderson.  The point of spending big money on either though is that in an ideal line-up you're playing Fekir or Anderson at the 8 behind Mane, Salah and Firmino.

Anderson isn't an 8. Fekir can play as a 10 as a false 9 but he isn't a player who can play the wide forward position like Anderson can. He's played wide in a handful of games, he's spent most of his career playing as a 10 and a false 9 [however you want to classify it]

My point is you don't have to cram all of your best players into the starting XI. Look at the bigger picture, the amount of fixtures, and how to fully maximize your players through out the course of the season on multiple fronts.

To stay at this level, a player who fits Fekir's profile would strengthen us, as would player of Anderson's profile, to me they're two different types of players. Neither have to start in every single match for us to be better and stronger. Spending 60 million isn't that obscene given the money going around, what we're doiing,etc..

Anderson can't play as an 8, he's never played there in his career to my knowledge.

That was my point.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1084 on: January 11, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »
Today was the 2nd time I've watched Jack Clarke when Leeds have been on sky and he looks a player. Definitely one to "monitor". 

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #1085 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »
Edit: This is also why the Naby stuff is so ridiculous.  He was never brought in to play as the furthest forward midfielder nor has he ever played that way until now.  Yet that's what we're doing with him and wondering why it's not the same?  Again context....

Who is doing it? He isn't being played as a 10, he's played in Mane's position or in the half space as Klopp has said, but he hasn't being played consistently out of position.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Believer
« Reply #1086 on: January 11, 2019, 10:08:42 PM »
That's not all we need, you strengthen your attacking threat and you maximize the longevity of the other front three. Fekir isn't capable of playing in the same position. He's a 10, perhaps can play as an 8, but he's not a wide player by any means.

Yes the money is obscene but in today's market and the money that we've recouped with CL and whatever else happens this season,it shouldn't be an issue.

Can't look at a side with just full focus on the same starting XI. Look at City and the options they have in the final third.

Another player in the attacking third with end product is definitely a must.
Exactly, as well as the front three have served us they will eventually need quality cover. Having four outstanding players for three positions isn’t an odd concept at the top clubs, infact in some instances it’s still quite conservative. Extreme examples being City with their current allotment of six 60plus million players for three positions. Or Real for the last few years with five. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us spend a lot of money on two attacking players this summer. Ox will be back, Harry Wilson will be around, plus two more. We’ll have some excellent depth.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1087 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
Anderson isn't an 8. Fekir can play as a 10 as a false 9 but he isn't a player who can play the wide forward position like Anderson can. He's played wide in a handful of games, he's spent most of his career playing as a 10 and a false 9 [however you want to classify it]

My point is you don't have to cram all of your best players into the starting XI. Look at the bigger picture, the amount of fixtures, and how to fully maximize your players through out the course of the season on multiple fronts.

To stay at this level, a player who fits Fekir's profile would strengthen us, as would player of Anderson's profile, to me they're two different types of players. Neither have to start in every single match for us to be better and stronger. Spending 60 million isn't that obscene given the money going around, what we're doiing,etc..

Anderson can't play as an 8, he's never played there in his career to my knowledge.

That was my point.

Who is doing it? He isn't being played as a 10, he's played in Mane's position or in the half space as Klopp has said, but he hasn't being played consistently out of position.

I don't agree with almost anything you wrote here.  Sometimes that happens.  Have a good evening.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1088 on: January 12, 2019, 01:41:45 AM »
Fuck it. Its Evertons Barcelona Gomes. NOT, you understand me, the Bafetimbi type. No Sir. We want the loaner model hes clearly the bestest ever at his position.
Damn that Mane's good!

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1089 on: January 12, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »
You're not spending £60m+ on Anderson to have him rotate with the Front 3.  Obviously he can do that but you can get way cheaper options if that's all you need.  You're spending that money as he can start with those front 3 in the midfield space as a #8 with seemingly minimal drop off defensively which is exactly what Fekir was being purchased for.  He'd be our Silva so to say.
I don’t know what type of player Anderson is exactly, but couldn’t a club of our size and with our resources have a 60 million player as 4th choice attacker? All three starting players are worth more than that. And in midfield every other game players worth 30-60 million sit on our bench (depending on who starts).

There would still be plenty of games for another attacker too. I think Klopp is very reluctant to rest Salah or Firmino, partly beacuse they are so good obviously, but also because to drop off to Sturridge and Origi is simply too great. If we had someone closer to the Mane/Firmino/Salah level, I think we’d see more rotation. And if that forward turns out to be exceptional, and depending on what type of player it is, all four could start plenty of games. Of course that would mean less games for other 50million + players such as Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita.

Online lamonti

• Believer
« Reply #1090 on: January 12, 2019, 08:58:50 AM »
I can remember an one of Robertson’s early game where he was ignored by Coutinho a lot even when in good positions. I thought it was odd then.

Yeah it was weird then, and if that gossip is true... fucking ridiculous now. Would love to have a player of Phil's calibre in the squad still but if that money was spent on Van Dijk and Alisson then sound.
@montigol

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1091 on: January 12, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »
Not sure VVD was bought with the Coutinho money to be honest. Reason being, I'm pretty sure we'd have signed VVD in the summer when Phil was still with us had it not been leaked Jurgen had met Big Virg in Blackpool.

Saying that, I suppose you could argue the club knew Coutinho was going at some point that season, so they committed a certain amount of money to sign VVD, knowing full well they'd recoup it when they sold Phil.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #1092 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »
I don’t know what type of player Anderson is exactly, but couldn’t a club of our size and with our resources have a 60 million player as 4th choice attacker? All three starting players are worth more than that. And in midfield every other game players worth 30-60 million sit on our bench (depending on who starts).

There would still be plenty of games for another attacker too. I think Klopp is very reluctant to rest Salah or Firmino, partly beacuse they are so good obviously, but also because to drop off to Sturridge and Origi is simply too great. If we had someone closer to the Mane/Firmino/Salah level, I think we’d see more rotation. And if that forward turns out to be exceptional, and depending on what type of player it is, all four could start plenty of games. Of course that would mean less games for other 50million + players such as Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita.

Now I know that the value of players has inflated like a balloon, but really?

Offline Original

• Believer
  • Sound
« Reply #1093 on: January 12, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »

Does it have to be 4th choice, can it not be a pool of 4 quality attacking players that we pick 3 from, to which all 4 will probably play 40 to 45 games a season?

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1094 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »
I didn’t mean forth in line after Salah or Firmino only, but someone who could play instead of either or one of them as well as Mane perhaps. Ideally for all three of course. Isn’t that what we wanted with Fekir? Someone who can play with our 3 main attackers as well as cover for 1-2 of them?

We’ve got the likes of Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Shaqiri and next season Oxlade-Chamberlain competing for 2-3 spots in the starting eleven, maybe 4 at most. All are worth more than 30 million at least, Keita, Fabinho and a fully fit Chamberlain probably 50+.

Salah, Mane and Firmino would cost 70m + all of them, Salah more than 100m. That the player next in line could be a 50-60m outlay doesn’t seem too crazy considering the fees that are normal now and that this player is likely our only major signing for next season. We wont spend much to replace Mignolet or Moreno.

Online Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Believer
« Reply #1095 on: January 12, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »

City's front 3 options: Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, (Bernardo), Jesus

Offline Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #1096 on: January 12, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »
Does it have to be 4th choice, can it not be a pool of 4 quality attacking players that we pick 3 from, to which all 4 will probably play 40 to 45 games a season?

Is exactly right. We definitely need to add another top class option to the front 3.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer