Author Topic: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).  (Read 149239 times)

Offline Keita Success

• Then he saw his face - now he's a rebeliever!
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).
« Reply #1040 on: January 11, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
Out of interest where did the Tarkowski story originate?
The Rag, I believe.
Champions League preview found here: https://bit.ly/2S7UfQy

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Believer
« Reply #1041 on: January 11, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm sure there were reports of Klopp telling him that when we were trying to convince him to stay, that he'd end us just another player at Barcelona if he did leave.

I'm surprised he's struggling so badly at the moment, I really thought he'd be great there.  I saw some Barcelona supporters' opinions of him on Twitter after their game last night and a lot of them were vitriolic.

They're likely to get a new manager in next year so his fortunes may change.  Valverde really isn't a "Barcelona" manager when you consider the style of play and philosophy of previous years.  Valverde is much too risk averse.  Now, if they get Quique Setien in, we'll see a style at Barcelona similar to what we saw when Pep was there.  Will that help Coutinho or not is left to be determined as there are quite a few question marks over whether or not he is suited to play in the midfield at all. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Believer
« Reply #1042 on: January 11, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
i don't see him coming back to anfield. too embarrassing for phil after pushing for a move and do think PSG more likely.

would rather us get dembele but is he fully settled and performing for those catalan rats? #vivaespana

Wouldn't mind us getting Malcolm if Barcelona don't want him.  He's clearly not trusted by the manager there so we maybe could get him fairly cheap. 

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Believer
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1043 on: January 11, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
Didn't he keep turning to to training late or something?
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1044 on: January 11, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
Didn't he keep turning to to training late or something?

Thought that was Dembele?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Believer
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1045 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »
Thought that was Dembele?

Oh yeah, think you're right.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online IgorBobbins

• Believer
  • BOBBINS!

Offline Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1047 on: January 11, 2019, 01:18:17 PM »
;D

I'm not racist, I don't care if they're black, brown, yellow...
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1048 on: January 11, 2019, 03:04:02 PM »
Man City. David Silva is getting old so I can see them jumping at the chance to sign Coutinho.
they already have his replacement there

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
« Reply #1049 on: January 11, 2019, 04:05:41 PM »
I would agree, no way he's coming back here, nor should he. I think Klopp made his feelings clear enough in the interview with Melissa Reddy (I think it was her).

We were speaking with someone on the flight back from Kiev last May who was with all the senior management after the final. Was told a fair amount of information (all of which came true, or we all essentially knew anyway), but apparently he refused to play in the end. He was also disappointed at how Klopp dropped Moreno from the team for Robertson towards the end of the last year, as Phil and Moreno were very good friends, and wouldn't pass to him etc. during training.

He can go and fuck himself as far as I'm concerned, and no doubt the boss feels the same way.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1050 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:54 PM »
We were speaking with someone on the flight back from Kiev last May who was with all the senior management after the final. Was told a fair amount of information (all of which came true, or we all essentially knew anyway), but apparently he refused to play in the end. He was also disappointed at how Klopp dropped Moreno from the team for Robertson towards the end of the last year, as Phil and Moreno were very good friends, and wouldn't pass to him etc. during training.

He can go and fuck himself as far as I'm concerned, and no doubt the boss feels the same way.

:lmao

I've never heard that before.  It's difficult to believe anyone could be that childish but if he really is that desperate to play with Moreno he should put a word in for his mate ahead of the summer.

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1051 on: January 11, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »

I can remember an one of Robertsonís early game where he was ignored by Coutinho a lot even when in good positions. I thought it was odd then.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1052 on: January 11, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »

I've never heard that before.  It's difficult to believe anyone could be that childish but if he really is that desperate to play with Moreno he should put a word in for his mate ahead of the summer.

As if Barca would sign him!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
« Reply #1053 on: January 11, 2019, 04:20:30 PM »
I can remember an one of Robertsonís early game where he was ignored by Coutinho a lot even when in good positions. I thought it was odd then.

Funnily enough mate so did I, and I'm sure others will as well especially those who go the match.

It's pathetic, I'm sure some will read this and think I'm talking absolute shite but that's honestly what happened.

Offline welshred1976

• Believer
  • make us dream
« Reply #1054 on: January 11, 2019, 04:21:17 PM »

Burnley at home. It happened several times when Robertson had got into great positions.
ďThe status of the club is incredible, but itís only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... itís more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #1056 on: January 11, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
Burnley at home. It happened several times when Robertson had got into great positions.

Yes! The 1-1 game. He pretty much blanked him in the first half as we attacked the kop.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1058 on: January 11, 2019, 05:46:39 PM »
What is wrong with Shaqiri's defending and work rate? I was surprised that we were in for him even at the that price as I didn't think he was a Klopp player off the ball myself, but I was wrong about that. As part of a front 4 he's been great. Against Arsenal his defending ahead of TAA was as good as you can expect from an attacking midfielder. Our squad and the players he competes with still doesn't make him an automatic choice by any means, but he's a very good allround player, and much more complete than I thought.

I donít think our views are wide apart, but in direct answer to your question, I think he is slow to spot danger, and the Arsenal performance should be put alongside others where my criticism is fair - most obviously the F.A cup game against Wolves. Running around a lot doesnít solve the issue of lacking defensive nous. Thereís little doubt heís working hard in most games, and has made an impression (my post acknowledges this, and also that in todayís market, at his age, he represented very good value).

Discussion nowadays about the teamís needs should in my view, rightly be focussed on improving what is an excellent team by providing even more competition. Either side of your post was a discussion about Coutinho. We got an exceptional price for him and I donít think he merited it, because he too is an attacking midfielder whose defensive instincts are poor.

Keita is struggling to get starts at the moment for precisely the same reason, imho.

The rest of your post echos mine pretty much.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Kopite
« Reply #1059 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »

Can't be true. Moreno was injured at the end of last year, and Coutinho had left before he came back from the injury. Moreno wasn't dropped until after Coutinho had left.

Edit: I don't think you are talking shite, but I don't think the guy you spoke to wasn't being honest. Moreno was injured Dec 7 and returned January 26. Coutinho was sold Jan 6. Moreno was only dropped after he had left.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:53:57 PM by CowboyKangaroo »
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1060 on: January 11, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
It may make financial sense but selling pretty much your best player in the January window certainly isn't a no brainer from a footballing perspective in my opinion. If they are going to sell surely the summer is the window.

What if Brexit happens and everybody has to offload their foreign born players which completely tanks the market?  What if Marko tears his achilles in the next game?  What if etc.  You can only ever count on what you're being offered in that moment.  You can hope for the best but unless you can predict the future then you're taking as much as a risk as selling him now.

I'd also argue Felipe Anderson is clearly the teams best player and they should be worried they're going to lose him this upcoming summer.  If I was LFC I'd be in for him to play the Fekir type role for sure.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1061 on: January 11, 2019, 05:59:04 PM »
I donít think our views are wide apart, but in direct answer to your question, I think he is slow to spot danger, and the Arsenal performance should be put alongside others where my criticism is fair - most obviously the F.A cup game against Wolves. Running around a lot doesnít solve the issue of lacking defensive nous. Thereís little doubt heís working hard in most games, and has made an impression (my post acknowledges this, and also that in todayís market, at his age, he represented very good value).

Discussion nowadays about the teamís needs should in my view, rightly be focussed on improving what is an excellent team by providing even more competition. Either side of your post was a discussion about Coutinho. We got an exceptional price for him and I donít think he merited it, because he too is an attacking midfielder whose defensive instincts are poor.

Keita is struggling to get starts at the moment for precisely the same reason, imho.

Fair enough, youíre right that we have similar views. Heís exceeded my expectations by far, maybe that is why Iím very positive about him, but of course youíre correct that defensive nous isnít his main strength by any means. Heís an attacking midfielder, donít think heíll ever play in a 3 man midfield. I didnít like Coutinho that far back under Klopp and he was probably a better defender overall.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1062 on: January 11, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
What if Brexit happens and everybody has to offload their foreign born players which completely tanks the market?  What if Marko tears his achilles in the next game?  What if etc.  You can only ever count on what you're being offered in that moment.  You can hope for the best but unless you can predict the future then you're taking as much as a risk as selling him now.

I'd also argue Felipe Anderson is clearly the teams best player and they should be worried they're going to lose him this upcoming summer.  If I was LFC I'd be in for him to play the Fekir type role for sure.

They shouldn't as, unless he and his agent negotiated a release clause, they're going to make an absolute fortune if he does leave.

They knew what they were doing with Anderson, I'd be surprised if they were ever expecting to keep him long-term if he hit the ground running over here. 

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1063 on: January 11, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »

This belongs more in the player thread than the transfer thread but Shaqiri is not a midfielder.  At least not as most people define a midfielder in that they're well rounded players that contribute offensively and defensively somewhat equally.  Then the question becomes is he an "attacking midfielder"?  To me that just gets to the tactics of the team in question in that is he playing with less defensive responsibility than other midfielders?  Klopp has already clearly stated that as of the moment he cannot handle the defensive responsibilities that he would expect in a midfield role.  Then you look at his history where regardless of the club or even for his national team he's almost always been one of the furthest forward players on the pitch.  He is a forward and always has been.

Does that mean he cannot play in the midfield space?  Of course not but without proper balance of the squad in other places you may make the team weaker as a whole by having him out there and not one of the furthest forward.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1064 on: January 11, 2019, 06:09:30 PM »
They shouldn't as, unless he and his agent negotiated a release clause, they're going to make an absolute fortune if he does leave.

They knew what they were doing with Anderson, I'd be surprised if they were ever expecting to keep him long-term if he hit the ground running over here.

Yet whereas with Arnautovic you should be able to get a like for like replacement there's no way they would with Felipe and that could make the team tumble towards relegation regardless of the money they get.  That and playing Wilshire again ;)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1065 on: January 11, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »
Why are we spending multiple pages talking about Coutinho? The brat isn't coming back here in this or any other window.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
Yet whereas with Arnautovic you should be able to get a like for like replacement there's no way they would with Felipe and that could make the team tumble towards relegation regardless of the money they get.  That and playing Wilshire again ;)

Not if they spend as well as they did on Anderson.

A club like West Ham signs players like Anderson and Issa Diop with one eye on making a big profit if they adapt and do well in the PL  - they know big clubs are watching the players but haven't been convinced enough to spend.  West Ham take the punt, give the player a platform to perform and then look to double their money when the big clubs are convinced enough to come calling. 

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1067 on: January 11, 2019, 06:21:55 PM »
Not if they spend as well as they did on Anderson.

A club like West Ham signs players like Anderson and Issa Diop with one eye on making a big profit if they adapt and do well in the PL  - they know big clubs are watching the players but haven't been convinced enough to spend.  West Ham take the punt, give the player a platform to perform and then look to double their money when the big clubs are convinced enough to come calling.

You say this like West Ham are a well run club when almost everything about them says the opposite. 

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between JŁrgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1068 on: January 11, 2019, 06:22:10 PM »
Why are we spending multiple pages talking about Coutinho? The brat isn't coming back here in this or any other window.

It's more about whether his contract earns more money for us rather than him coming back here, which he won't.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1069 on: January 11, 2019, 06:26:43 PM »
You say this like West Ham are a well run club when almost everything about them says the opposite.

They'll still take a club to the cleaners for Anderson in the summer if anyone does try to sign him.

Offline fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #1070 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »
They'll still take a club to the cleaners for Anderson in the summer if anyone does try to sign him.

Not sure myself, itís not like theyíre any better at selling players than they are at buying them.
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and thatís being very conservative. So thatís £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head thatís £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
« Reply #1071 on: January 11, 2019, 06:35:28 PM »
Not sure myself, itís not like theyíre any better at selling players than they are at buying them.

I think we can all agree though they did take a risk on Anderson and it's worked out lovely for them.  Think he leads their team in goals and tackles which is amazing in a way.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1072 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »

The only way they won't is if they agreed to give him a release clause.

He did well in Serie A, has been great in the PL, will only be 26 in the summer, has a long-term contract - they'll be demanding stupid money.

Offline fucking appalled

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #1073 on: January 11, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
The only way they won't is if they agreed to give him a release clause.

He did well in Serie A, has been great in the PL, will only be 26 in the summer, has a long-term contract - they'll be demanding stupid money.

Theyíre certainly not going to be selling him at a loss, and to be honest Iíd say most money for good players is going to be stupid money now. £50-60 million and I think youíd get him.
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and thatís being very conservative. So thatís £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head thatís £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline blacksun

• Believer
« Reply #1074 on: January 11, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
Theyíre certainly not going to be selling him at a loss, and to be honest Iíd say most money for good players is going to be stupid money now. £50-60 million and I think youíd get him.

Which is why in context people are saying they should take the offer for Arnautovic. If Anderson at 26 is 60m then 35m for 30 yr old Arnautovic is good money.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1075 on: January 11, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »

I'd be surprised if they aren't looking for more. 

I don't know if anyone would pay it, but if he does move this summer I think it would be for more than £60m.

Offline fucking appalled

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #1076 on: January 11, 2019, 07:00:25 PM »
I'd be surprised if they aren't looking for more. 

I don't know if anyone would pay it, but if he does move this summer I think it would be for more than £60m.

Maybe

Pulisic went for close that and heís nowhere near Anderson. Weíll struggle to get anyone of that level or better for reasonable money unless theyíve got a buyout clause.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer