Author Topic: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).  (Read 147704 times)

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).
« Reply #1960 on: February 1, 2019, 03:54:14 PM »
No idea what is going on with him, I'm sure the loan has done him no good psychologically. Maybe it's just an attitude thing? I've seen him play where he's head and shoulders about everyone one around him (U23) and then at times looks like he can't be arsed

I've never seen him looking not arsed though I've not watched him this season, but he has always struck me as a good young professional. Whenever he has been put back into the Academy he always gives a good honest account of himself. Maybe they will give him a run back in the under 23's and see how he goes from there.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Chris~

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1961 on: February 1, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »

Loans fail a lot of the time, younger players get probably 200 minutes to prove their worth before someone else gets a chance to have an immediete impact. There's no real incentive for the loaning team to wait for a player with no real senior experience to adjust.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Believer
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #1962 on: February 1, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Woodburn is still young, but my concern is his need to develop a role.  It seems difficult to see him as the out and out forward he was in youth football due to his lack of pace and physicality.  He is also not really a winger.  This points to him developing in midfield, which was where we had him in in pre-season, but he is relatively inexperienced there (even by youth level standards).  I am not totally sure but I believe Sheff Utd saw him as a forward. 

There is a very talented player there trying to find his way.  I cant help but feeling that the interview Inglethorpe gave on the official site about Harry Wilson's turning point following his failed loan at Crewe being Harry's turning point and opening his eyes as to how much more he needed to develop, was also partly aimed at young Ben.  There's some transition from being the youth team genius to cutting it as an attacking player at pro level, particularly if you don't have an extreme talent eg Owen like pace.  It's further complicated by the stellar start to his Welsh career, as well as scoring for our first team.

I also inferred, quite possibly wrongly, that whilst Ben is desperate to get another loan and do better, the Club were a bit more wary, and might value an opportunity now to work with Ben, get his head straight and prepare him for his next loan next season.

Offline blacksun

• Believer
« Reply #1963 on: February 1, 2019, 06:02:28 PM »
Woodburn is still young, but my concern is his need to develop a role.  It seems difficult to see him as the out and out forward he was in youth football due to his lack of pace and physicality.  He is also not really a winger.  This points to him developing in midfield, which was where we had him in in pre-season, but he is relatively inexperienced there (even by youth level standards).  I am not totally sure but I believe Sheff Utd saw him as a forward. 

There is a very talented player there trying to find his way.  I cant help but feeling that the interview Inglethorpe gave on the official site about Harry Wilson's turning point following his failed loan at Crewe being Harry's turning point and opening his eyes as to how much more he needed to develop, was also partly aimed at young Ben.  There's some transition from being the youth team genius to cutting it as an attacking player at pro level, particularly if you don't have an extreme talent eg Owen like pace.  It's further complicated by the stellar start to his Welsh career, as well as scoring for our first team.

I also inferred, quite possibly wrongly, that whilst Ben is desperate to get another loan and do better, the Club were a bit more wary, and might value an opportunity now to work with Ben, get his head straight and prepare him for his next loan next season.

That crossed my mind as I read the interview too.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• Believer
« Reply #1964 on: February 3, 2019, 12:18:00 AM »
Very disappointed the club couldn't finalise a deal for Harrison Reed again, hopefully Big Dog can keep us informed.
Vote Labour

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Believer
« Reply #1965 on: February 3, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
Very disappointed the club couldn't finalise a deal for Harrison Reed again, hopefully Big Dog can keep us informed.

There's always the summer window. Hopefully we can get this one over the line.