Author Topic: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).  (Read 147784 times)

Offline Collymore

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).
« Reply #1280 on: January 15, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »
It was an Alisson that first broke my Heart.

She was Beautiful. Very small, but beautiful.

This Alission isn't going to do that, this one is going to stay true and faithful and give me years and years of pride and joy.
Melrose Place-Alison? She was my favorite too... Never got the Jo-thing.

Online Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1281 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »
Stuani to Barca, mad one (and yes he was at Middlesbrough a few years back)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Believer
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1282 on: January 15, 2019, 09:15:18 AM »

Be at Everton for double the fee in 12 months
Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Believer
« Reply #1283 on: January 15, 2019, 09:18:42 AM »

Yeah, well, Coutinho's not good enough  :o

Their recruitment is shocking, and long may it continue.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1284 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
If you buy Felipe Anderson to play on our left, where do you fit in an Isco or James Rodriguez? I suppose that wasn’t a serious suggestion, but I doubt we’ll make more than one major signing for the attack. I’ve seen others mention a need to replace Lallana - if not with Isco - but he’s hardly played for 18 months and if we get Anderson (or a similar talent), I don’t see why we’d have to.

Between Mane, Firmino, Anderson, Shaqiri and a returning Oxlade-Chamberlain we’d have the attacking midfield covered already. Both in our 4-2-3-1 and the 4-3-3 (before someone say it, I know it isn’t a true 4-3-3, but I mean when we play 3 central midfielders).

With those options I still think we’re too reliant on Salah as our striker, but assuming he’s fit for most of the season, I don’t know how we’d work around that. I doubt we’ll sign an established number 9 to sit on bench 90% of the time. As mentioned before, I’d guess that Mane (off the right like in 16/17) is about as good as it gets as back up striker.

It's a difficult one. I think we have a clear need for an attacking midfielder (whether central or wide) and a striker seeing as Sturridge and Origi will depart in the summer. But I just don't think we'll be going big on both positions - can't see us signing, say, Felipe Anderson and Timo Werner even if both are good fits and tick the boxes of what we need.

It would leave us with six players for three/four positions - Mane, Salah, Firmino, Anderson, Werner, Shaqiri). Now as a fan, I'd love that. But I think Klopp would say that's one too many, as he'd struggle to keep them all happy and it would be almost impossible to find a path through for Rhian Brewster.

So my expectation is we either go big on a wide forward (like Anderson) or more of a striker (like Werner). And as Elston said earlier, a wide forward maybe makes more sense - it's an easier way to get the 'money on the pitch', as someone like Anderson could naturally slot in on the left with Mane on the opposite flank and Firmino behind Salah. Whereas with Werner, you feel that to get him into the 'first XI' would require a tactical shift.

Offline an alternative rhetorical friend of Cosmo Kramer..

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1285 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »
It's a difficult one. I think we have a clear need for an attacking midfielder (whether central or wide) and a striker seeing as Sturridge and Origi will depart in the summer. But I just don't think we'll be going big on both positions - can't see us signing, say, Felipe Anderson and Timo Werner even if both are good fits and tick the boxes of what we need.

It would leave us with six players for three/four positions - Mane, Salah, Firmino, Anderson, Werner, Shaqiri). Now as a fan, I'd love that. But I think Klopp would say that's one too many, as he'd struggle to keep them all happy and it would be almost impossible to find a path through for Rhian Brewster.

So my expectation is we either go big on a wide forward (like Anderson) or more of a striker (like Werner). And as Elston said earlier, a wide forward maybe makes more sense - it's an easier way to get the 'money on the pitch', as someone like Anderson could naturally slot in on the left with Mane on the opposite flank and Firmino behind Salah. Whereas with Werner, you feel that to get him into the 'first XI' would require a tactical shift.

Have you watched much Leipzig? Werner has usually played as a wide forward from the left most of his time there, if you shifted Manè to the right he would slot into our 4231 perfectly.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1286 on: January 15, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
Have you watched much Leipzig? Werner has usually played as a wide forward from the left most of his time there, if you shifted Manè to the right he would slot into our 4231 perfectly.
I haven't, so I'll have to take your word for it, but I thought Forsberg played on the left? I have only seen Werner for Germany a couple of times, he played central then. If he can play in both roles, that sort of player would be ideal.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1287 on: January 15, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »

Oh I know he's played off the left, I'm thinking more in terms of profile though. Whether he's playing wide or through the middle, Werner strikes me very much as a striker, the person who's going to be on the end of attacks. Whereas Anderson is more of a creative force whose main responsibility would be helping us break down opposition defences. So they can both start from the same position, but their roles would be very different - question for me is which skillset Klopp things we need more? I would take either in a heartbeat, just not sure which way Jurgen would go.

For what it's worth, I think someone like Julian Brandt is a much more likely signing than Felipe Anderson (although he wouldn't be as exciting). We know Klopp is a fan seeing as he wanted him ahead of Salah a couple of years ago. He'll only be 23 at the start of next season, which fits the age profile we usually go for. Think he'd be relatively cheap - can't see him costing more than £40m, although maybe I'm massively wrong there. Whereas Anderson would be 26 and is probably going to be £60-70m. I'd be fine with paying that, but I do think Klopp/Edwards will be keen for the next couple of attacking signings to be 22 or 23, seeing as Mane, Salah, Firmino and Shaqiri will all be 27/28 in the early parts of next season. Their age isn't a huge worry, but it does make sense to bring in a couple of younger guys so that when our current stars begin to exit their peak, there's players already in the squad who are coming into theirs.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:56:04 AM by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #1288 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
I haven't, so I'll have to take your word for it, but I thought Forsberg played on the left? I have only seen Werner for Germany a couple of times, he played central then. If he can play in both roles, that sort of player would be ideal.

Forsberg has been almost perma crocked for a while now sadly!

Werner doesn't play left wing for them, but he does drift in and from the left. He's very versitile for sure which is one of his biggest stengths, comfotable across the front.
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1289 on: January 15, 2019, 12:18:03 PM »
Can Werner play right back?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Believer
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
    • Some Film Reviews what I dun
« Reply #1290 on: January 15, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
Given our injury situation, should not be looking at a utility defender with some experience who can play at right-back? We must have cover.

Our bench will look shocking with James Milner at right back.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1291 on: January 15, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »
Given our injury situation, should not be looking at a utility defender with some experience who can play at right-back? We must have cover.

Think Klopp would much prefer to play Milner, someone he knows inside out and someone he has played at fullback for dozens of games, over a stopgap signing. And he also knows that we should only be in this situation for a couple of games, and then Gomez will be back closely followed by Trent.

There's a reason he's built a versatile squad, and it's to deal with this kind of thing. Also don't think we should be scared of Camacho, who'll be backup for the next couple of games, being thrust into action at some point.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Believer
  • #JFT96
« Reply #1292 on: January 15, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »
The problem is clubs know we desperately need a right back/centre back cover so we'll be held to ransom for any old shit.

Offline lionel_messias

• Believer
« Reply #1293 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »
Think Klopp would much prefer to play Milner, someone he knows inside out and someone he has played at fullback for dozens of games, over a stopgap signing. And he also knows that we should only be in this situation for a couple of games, and then Gomez will be back closely followed by Trent.

There's a reason he's built a versatile squad, and it's to deal with this kind of thing. Also don't think we should be scared of Camacho, who'll be backup for the next couple of games, being thrust into action at some point.

What you say makes perfect sense, however let's see how it holds up if teams target our right-back position? And the cover for centre-back has recently melted away completely as well.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #1294 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
The problem is clubs know we desperately need a right back/centre back cover so we'll be held to ransom for any old shit.

Apart from the club isn't actively looking for a right back or a centre back.  Hard to hold them to ransom for something they aren't after.
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Offline lionel_messias

• Believer
« Reply #1295 on: January 15, 2019, 01:26:37 PM »
Apart from the club isn't actively looking for a right back or a centre back.  Hard to hold them to ransom for something they aren't after.

And you know this how? Unless you are currently on the Liverpool FC staff??

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #1296 on: January 15, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »

how does anyone know they are?

There is bugger all to suggest they are interested in signing anyone this window.   I am pretty sure the manager even said they where not interested in signing a centre back purely as cover for players who would be back in January anyway. 

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1297 on: January 15, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »
What you say makes perfect sense, however let's see how it holds up if teams target our right-back position? And the cover for centre-back has recently melted away completely as well.

Matip is back fit, Lovren back in training this week.

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1298 on: January 15, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »

We have adequate cover, people need to take a chill pill.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline pathetic

• Believer
« Reply #1299 on: January 15, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
Letting Clyne go was madness. He could cover RB and LB adequately well and allow Gomez to play in his best position, CB. Now we have no natural option at RB and we would have to plug a player from CM (Fabinho or Milner?) to cover this spot for a month. Not ideal at all.
My Betfair referral code: Y6R6JF3PG

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1300 on: January 15, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
Letting Clyne go was madness. He could cover RB and LB adequately well and allow Gomez to play in his best position, CB. Now we have no natural option at RB and we would have to plug a player from CM (Fabinho or Milner?) to cover this spot for a month. Not ideal at all.

Clyne can cover LB? No thanks!

Offline afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1301 on: January 15, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »

Madness, sheer madness...

Oh, the horror... :o
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1302 on: January 15, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »

Except even if Clyne was here, Klopp would willingly choose to play Gomez or Milner at RB ahead of him. He'd also play Moreno and Milner ahead of him at LB too.

Offline Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1303 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »
Ahead of our game with them, Crystal Palace look to be signing Brazilian goalkeeper Lucas Perri. Perri source here if anyone's interested.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1304 on: January 15, 2019, 02:55:21 PM »
Ahead of our game with them, Crystal Palace look to be signing Brazilian goalkeeper Lucas Perri. Perri source here if anyone's interested.

Surely shoot on sight against him then. Brand new to the league. Only 21. Pot shots from everywhere

Offline J-Mc-

• Just a wanker on a wind-up
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1305 on: January 15, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »

Because Klopp has said that the situation will look a lot different in the next two weeks?

Matio back fit, Gomes close and Lovren will be back soon.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Believer
« Reply #1306 on: January 15, 2019, 03:20:24 PM »

I don't think they'll get it done before Saturday, so should be Speroni in goal due to injuries/Nazi salutes

Offline Chrismonster

• Anny Roader
  • Thou shall not wear socks with FlipFlops.
« Reply #1307 on: January 15, 2019, 03:22:24 PM »
Can Werner play right back?

Not that I know of, but Anderson can.

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1308 on: January 15, 2019, 04:19:00 PM »

He has only played one game in months, he was behind other players as it was. He wanted to play on a regular basis, the  manager is happy with his options even if some of our fans are not.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #1309 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »

We're not desparate to sign a defender or anyone this window. The manager must feel he has enough cover for RB or he wouldn't have let Clyne go on loan.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1310 on: January 15, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
We're not desparate to sign a defender or anyone this window. The manager must feel he has enough cover for RB or he wouldn't have let Clyne go on loan.

Exactly. Don't expect us to recruit a RB in the summer either, even when Clyne goes on a permanent deal.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1311 on: January 15, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »
It wasn't. He's hardly played for us and I don't remember him making the bench much either.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1312 on: January 15, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »
Exactly. Don't expect us to recruit a RB in the summer either, even when Clyne goes on a permanent deal.
We should, so we don’t have to move people out of their prefered position to cover elsewhere. Gomez has showed great potential as a centre back, why play him at RB with an inferior player next to Vad Dijk if we don’t have to? If we replace Moreno too, that is 8 defenders for 4 spots, and 3 of them have struggled with injuries this season and before. TAA too, although to a lesser extent.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for a League Championship
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Sitting on the shoulders of giants!
« Reply #1313 on: January 15, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
Harrison Reed starting for Blackburn v the Barcodes tonight if anyone fancies 'scouting' him, see what we're missing  ;)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1314 on: January 15, 2019, 07:22:47 PM »

What about Brooks at Bournemouth?

Online Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1315 on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:28 PM »
Fulham have signed Ryan Babel..

No, really

Unleash the Babelcopter one last time!!!!

(This is not a joke)
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Online Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register.
  • Believer
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #1316 on: January 15, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »
Very well apparently. Michael Edwards and Levy have been chatting over tea and scones all afternoon. Should hear something by Friday.

Usual caveats apply of course.*

*Caveat being that it’s bollocks

(KLAXON SOUNDS)

Conspiracy Alert! Conspiracy Alert! The bolded bit was added by a person of nefarious means other than myself. I'm so angry about this that I'm going to have to have a lie down.

I've had a chat with my various personalities and we mostly agree it was Tepid.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Online BobPaisley3

• Believer
« Reply #1317 on: January 15, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »
Think in the summer we might see a utility defender come in who can cover both full back positions, particularly as Moreno is likely off too.

Online daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1318 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
We should, so we don’t have to move people out of their prefered position to cover elsewhere. Gomez has showed great potential as a centre back, why play him at RB with an inferior player next to Vad Dijk if we don’t have to? If we replace Moreno too, that is 8 defenders for 4 spots, and 3 of them have struggled with injuries this season and before. TAA too, although to a lesser extent.
Trent, Gomez, Milner, Fabinho is enough depth at RB imo. We have the numbers to be able to shift people around without weakening our starting 11. You take one of Fabinho or Milner and stick him RB you then see Hendo, Naby or The Shaq starting in one of the midfield/attacking positions. Not a major drop off in quality at all.

Online daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1319 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:17 PM »
Move Gomez to RB, we then switch to Lovren at the back, not a drop in quality imo.