Author Topic: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).  (Read 147680 times)

Offline Wingman

• Believer
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).
« Reply #1160 on: January 13, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »
With the way we are playing the 4-2-3-1 we will probably see an attacking midfielder who can play off the left but can play in midfield the few teams we go to a 4-3-3.

Maddison and Anderson are examples. Both have played in a front three and deeper, as well as off the left.

Thereís a guy, whoís apparently unhappy, at Barca that would be ideal for that.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1161 on: January 13, 2019, 07:44:30 AM »

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1162 on: January 13, 2019, 07:57:58 AM »
We've signed some very good players at great value from the relegated clubs in the past,the season is far from over but putting the cut-off point at 22 points and Palace who do you like from those teams if you could sign 1 player who'd also fit our style of play etc.?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:01:44 AM by Tobelius »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1163 on: January 13, 2019, 08:05:14 AM »
We've signed some very good players at great value from the relegated clubs in the past,the season is far from over but putting the cut-off point at 22 points and Palace who do you like from those teams if you could sign 1 player who'd also fit our style of play etc.?

Wan bissaka if you see TAA in midfield long term.  Ryan Sessegnon perhaps. 
Milly wont be here in a few years to be our fill in ambidextrous Full back

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1164 on: January 13, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »
Iíd like us to sign someone to challenge Mane for his spot in the first team.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Believer
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #1165 on: January 13, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
Sessegnon as mentioned above is the obvious one, then possibly Tarkowski, Lascelles, or Redmond.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #1166 on: January 13, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
We arenít signing Hazard.

(God it feels good to do the classics again once in a while)

Weren't we linked with Thorgan?  :)
Klopp on next yearís final being in IstanbulÖ I told UEFA already: we will be there! Give me a few minutes!

Offline a treeless whopper

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas
  • Believer
« Reply #1167 on: January 13, 2019, 09:06:47 AM »
There’s a guy, who’s apparently unhappy, at Barca that would be ideal for that.

Yep he would be perfect for us. The best thing as well is that he probably wouldnt be as influential as he was before because lets face it, he might slow us down.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1168 on: January 13, 2019, 09:49:49 AM »
Not sure he would do well with our style of play. He is very much a non involved striker who thrives on space in behind the opposition defence. Any striker we would sign would need to be able to do good work outside the box and with the ball as well.

Striker wise we are set though.
Salah and Origi are our only strikers. Sturridge plays more like a number 10 for us as he canít run anymore. I donít think weíll sign someone who is just a striker though, too few games available for such a player as Salah seems very durable.

But if Origi leaves, and he hardly plays anyway, Iím not sure who our number 9 would be if - god forbid - Salah was out for a month. We did well with the Mane-Firmino-Coutinho attack in 16/17, but Mane plays a slightly different role now - although I think he could revert to how he played before - and of course we donít have another attacker like Coutinho in the squad. Shaqiri is good, but not that good.

Offline a treeless whopper

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas
  • Believer
« Reply #1169 on: January 13, 2019, 09:53:07 AM »
Salah and Origi are our only strikers. Sturridge plays more like a number 10 for us as he can’t run anymore. I don’t think we’ll sign someone who is just a striker though, too few games available for such a player as Salah seems very durable.

But if Origi leaves, and he hardly plays anyway, I’m not sure who our number 9 would be if - god forbid - Salah was out for a month. We did well with the Mane-Firmino-Coutinho attack in 16/17, but Mane plays a slightly different role now - although I think he could revert to how he played before - and of course we don’t have another attacker like Coutinho in the squad. Shaqiri is good, but not that good.

Salah is and if we went back to a 4-3-3 we could use Mane in a Salah role off the right with Firmino doing the false 9, like in 16/17. We also have Rhian Brewster as well.

The only player we dont have a replacement or alternative for is Mane on the left. We have tried Keita there and I am certain we would try Lallana there as well but not sure they will suit that role.

I think Salah, Firmino, Mane, Brewster, Shaqiri and another new attacker who is of a really good level is the right number we need, regardless of whether Sturridge and Origi leave.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:54:47 AM by a treeless whopper »

Offline Roger Federer

• Believer
« Reply #1170 on: January 13, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »
Agree with that, although I donít know how good Brewster really is. Heís mentioned a lot, but the step up to senior football is pretty great, certainly to our current level.

Ideally the new player would be able to play both Maneís current role and Salahís, but I donít know who that could be. Mane himself is probably the best player of that kind that we can get, so another left sided attacking midfielder/wideforward makes a lot of sense.

Online Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #1171 on: January 13, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
I6d say what City did in buying b. Silva is closer to what we should be doing than signing someone like Mahrez. Get the best young player you can who can rotate in to a few positions. They get plenty minutes still and you try to create a succession plan for when one of the front 3 starts to drop off

Online Agent99

• Believer
« Reply #1172 on: January 13, 2019, 10:50:19 AM »
Agree with that, although I donít know how good Brewster really is. Heís mentioned a lot, but the step up to senior football is pretty great, certainly to our current level.

Ideally the new player would be able to play both Maneís current role and Salahís, but I donít know who that could be. Mane himself is probably the best player of that kind that we can get, so another left sided attacking midfielder/wideforward makes a lot of sense.
Do you mean Salah's role on the right or through the middle? There is a good analysis of Werner that shows why he would be a good option to rotate with Mane and play through the centre.

Offline mickeydocs

• No new LFC topics
  • Believer
« Reply #1173 on: January 13, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »
Personally I think Edwards envisioned our midfield this year as Fabinho deepest, Keita middle and then Fekir the most forward. 

Personally I think it is Herr Klopp that envisions our midfield and Edwards is asked to recruit based on JK's idea of a midfield.
This club is greater than any one player.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Believer
« Reply #1174 on: January 13, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
or Redmond.

This should be an instant ban.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1175 on: January 13, 2019, 11:26:44 AM »

Redmond's just a smokescreen for the move we're making behind closed doors for Christian Atsu

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Believer
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #1176 on: January 13, 2019, 11:34:06 AM »
Haha, Iíve never minded him. Donít get me wrong, he wouldnít improve the first 11 but not bad in my eyes for cover.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register.
  • Believer
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #1177 on: January 13, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »

Eden Hazard?

:D
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #1178 on: January 13, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
I know we love a player or 2 from Southampton but they don't have any at the minute that would even be useful as boot cleaners.

Online Agent99

• Believer
« Reply #1179 on: January 13, 2019, 11:49:48 AM »
I know we love a player or 2 from Southampton but they don't have any at the minute that would even be useful as boot cleaners.
I'd take Bertrand over Moreno.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1180 on: January 13, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »

Think he'd take regular football elsewhere over sitting on our bench.

Offline TarkaLFC

• Main Stander
  • Valour is superior to numbers.
« Reply #1181 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »

Iíd take Danny Ings.
Currently living overseas.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #1182 on: January 13, 2019, 11:58:24 AM »
Iíd take Danny Ings.

He's technically still our player, so he doesn't count  :D

Offline cdav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1183 on: January 13, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »

He would be a sensible buy to rotate with Robertson, don't think there is much quality in the teams who look like being relegated this season.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Believer
« Reply #1184 on: January 13, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
As Spurs are soon to be a selling club I think we should look to put a bid in for Son. In the summer though, as we'll be PL champions then and who wouldn't want to be a part of a team that wins stuff.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline Roger Federer

• Believer
« Reply #1185 on: January 13, 2019, 12:51:41 PM »
Do you mean Salah's role on the right or through the middle? There is a good analysis of Werner that shows why he would be a good option to rotate with Mane and play through the centre.
Itís a very similar role for Salah, even though the starting position changes obviously. But I was thinking of the central position mostly, as Klopp seem to prefer that this season.
Eden Hazard?

:D
Haha, I wouldnít say no to that! Son is another one, but the chance of either happening is zero, youíd think. Son slightly more than that perhaps, but not by much.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Believer
« Reply #1186 on: January 13, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
Itís a very similar role for Salah, even though the starting position changes obviously. But I was thinking of the central position mostly, as Klopp seem to prefer that this season.Haha, I wouldnít say no to that! Son is another one, but the chance of either happening is zero, youíd think. Son slightly more than that perhaps, but not by much.

City bought Nasri from Arsenal and United got Van Persie from the same club, so I don't see why Hazard or Son would be a problem. They'd know they're walking into a pretty complete team. We've got the best GK in the world, the best CB in the world and now that Ronaldo is plying his trade in Italy we've got the second best player in the world. Plus we've got Klopp.

Added to that as Champions and possible CL finalists for two years running, we're going to be a very big draw. Or they can continue with their stagnating teams hoping for a top four place.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1187 on: January 13, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
City bought Nasri from Arsenal and United got Van Persie from the same club, so I don't see why Hazard or Son would be a problem. They'd know they're walking into a pretty complete team. We've got the best GK in the world, the best CB in the world and now that Ronaldo is plying his trade in Italy we've got the second best player in the world. Plus we've got Klopp.

Added to that as Champions and possible CL finalists for two years running, we're going to be a very big draw. Or they can continue with their stagnating teams hoping for a top four place.

You really think Chelsea or Spurs would sell their best players to us?

I wasn't sure whether you were joking or not, there's no chance of it happening. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Believer
« Reply #1188 on: January 13, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
I6d say what City did in buying b. Silva is closer to what we should be doing than signing someone like Mahrez. Get the best young player you can who can rotate in to a few positions. They get plenty minutes still and you try to create a succession plan for when one of the front 3 starts to drop off

I think this will be the plan for the summer.  Get someone in like TImo Werner for the front line.  A quality young player who fits our style and can play anywhere across the front line.  Would be ideal imo. 

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Believer
« Reply #1189 on: January 13, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »

I wasn't sure whether you were joking or not, there's no chance of it happening.

If either player decides they want to leave there's not a lot Spurs or Chelsea can do about it. We saw that with Coutinho. No club wants to keep an unhappy player, yes I'm sure we'd have to pay a huge fee for them but we're talking about adding some finishing touches to a high in quality team. City will no doubt improve during the summer, and we'll have to look to do the same if we want to compete.

I just wonder sometimes that as fans we have a tendency to look down on ourselves, not truly believing in how fucking good we are right now in case it all comes crashing down again. False dawns and all that.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1190 on: January 13, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
If either player decides they want to leave there's not a lot Spurs or Chelsea can do about it. We saw that with Coutinho. No club wants to keep an unhappy player, yes I'm sure we'd have to pay a huge fee for them but we're talking about adding some finishing touches to a high in quality team. City will no doubt improve during the summer, and we'll have to look to do the same if we want to compete.

I just wonder sometimes that as fans we have a tendency to look down on ourselves, not truly believing in how fucking good we are right now in case it all comes crashing down again. False dawns and all that.

They won't sell to us.  Hazard has made it very clear he wants to go to Real Madrid, he's not signing for Liverpool.  And Levy would laugh at us if we tried to sign Son.

No sensible discussion of potential transfer targets involves Eden Hazard, Son, Eriksen, Coutinho, Dembele or Fekir.  It's not looking down on ourselves at all, just reality. 

Online DelTrotter

• Believer
« Reply #1191 on: January 13, 2019, 01:42:42 PM »
They won't sell to us.  Hazard has made it very clear he wants to go to Real Madrid, he's not signing for Liverpool.  And Levy would laugh at us if we tried to sign Son.

No sensible discussion of potential transfer targets involves Eden Hazard, Son, Eriksen, Coutinho, Dembele or Fekir.  It's not looking down on ourselves at all, just reality.

To be fair you spent the whole summer in here being absolutely relentless in saying we weren't signing Alisson (and that he wasn't very good  ;D ) You take it way too serious.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Believer
« Reply #1192 on: January 13, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »

We've made it this far by being smarter in the market than a lot of other teams, picking up players who fit us well and cost less than or close to what they're worth. I don't think we should throw that out of the window and start swinging our dicks around trying to buy from our competitors for massive fees.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Believer
« Reply #1193 on: January 13, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »

I think we'll have just have to agree to disagree mate. In reference to the bolded part, I'll always believe that everyone has a price. As far as I'm concerned Levy can laugh as much as he wants, but if Poch, Kane, Alli, Eriksen or Son tell him they want to leave I don't think he's left with much choice but to extract top dollar.

We've made it this far by being smarter in the market than a lot of other teams, picking up players who fit us well and cost less than or close to what they're worth. I don't think we should throw that out of the window and start swinging our dicks around trying to buy from our competitors for massive fees.

We made it so far but when it came to CB and GK we had to go out and pay a massive fee to move us to the next level. It's not about swinging dicks, it's about improving the depth of our squad. Personally I think Son would suit us quite well.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Believer
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
« Reply #1194 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:07 PM »
We definitely should sign a few players, never have a better chance at winning the title and our squad is clearly thin.

It just needs to be some players that can come in and do a better job than Moreno, Sturridge and Origi, could we do worse things than rival this Chinese club for an unsettled Arnautovic.. Especially at £35 million.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1195 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
To be fair you spent the whole summer in here being absolutely relentless in saying we weren't signing Alisson (and that he wasn't very good  ;D ) You take it way too serious.

I don't recall saying he wasn't very good; I think I said he was good, hadn't seen enough to be convinced he was great, or would be worth the kind of money being reported.  I didn't think we'd spend that much on a goalkeeper and thought it was more important we get the Fekir-type signing done.  I didn't like the relentless bashing of Karius either which sometimes overstepped the line into personal abuse.

Having seen Alisson play consistently I've admitted he is absolutely great and is worth the money we paid. 

Offline Linudden

• Believer
« Reply #1196 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
Discussing Coutinho? Who did?

While I do have my serious issues with his August 2017 behaviour, if it's true that Barcelona want rid in summer, if it's for 55-60 mil and not more than that... he sort of fits the bill for what we don't have right now in a creative playmaker/free kick maestro/inverted backup winger when Manť can't play, doesn't he?  :-X It's not like Alisson and Firmino wouldn't welcome him with open arms.

Either way, I'd think he'd end up at PSG, Chelsea or Bayern if he leaves in summer, and I do think Klopp has a rather long memory on "antics". Either way, it's a shame we won't get to see his free kicks in red at Anfield again. Some of them were ridiculously good.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:18:29 PM by Linudden »

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1197 on: January 13, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
I think this will be the plan for the summer.  Get someone in like TImo Werner for the front line.  A quality young player who fits our style and can play anywhere across the front line.  Would be ideal imo.

Money-wise he would only have a year left on his contract too so for me, he makes the most sense.

Whether we're interested or he wants to leave Germany remains to be seen but if we could someone like Werner for around £50m it could prove to be a steal given his quality and ability to play across the front.

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #1198 on: January 13, 2019, 02:19:25 PM »
Either way, it's a shame we won't get to see his free kicks in red at Anfield again.

There's a free kick specialist in the Championship.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Linudden

• Believer
« Reply #1199 on: January 13, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »

The biggest problem with getting Son is that his contract runs until 2023 and by then he's 31 anyway.

I always found it odd we didn't pounce when Pochettino wanted him rid a couple of years ago.