Author Topic: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).  (Read 106436 times)

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon).
« Reply #1120 on: January 12, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »
Yep, was just arguing with meself.
Did you read my posts? I said the new player would get plenty of games and that all four would start often if he proves himself too good to leave out. That is not the same as being stuck on our bench.

Against City we had one 40 million and one 60 million midfielder on the bench. How much is a fit AOC worth? 50 million? Add him next year, as well as Wijnaldum, possibly a new attacker, our regular front 3 and someone will miss out occasionally. We canít start Fabinho, Wijnaldum, AOC, Keita, íFekirí, Firmino, Shaqiri, Mane and Salah all at once, every game, right? So if you don't find it crazy that 40-60m pound midfielders find themselves on our bench at times, why would it be if we had a 4th attacker worth that much? I donít get it.

If we let go of Sturridge and Origi, how much do you think weíll spend replacing them? Solanke, who has not played a single minute this season, was sold for 19 million. We wanted Fekir previously, Pulisic (who wouldnít start for us) was bought for almost 60m. Are we going to target someone like that or someone in the Solanke/Origi range?

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #1121 on: January 12, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
So our most expensive signings will be Alisson, van Dijk, backup/rotation forward.

Yes, now I see it. Makes total sense.

Online Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1122 on: January 12, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
This issue that some have with the idea of us spending big money on another quality attacking player is weird.

Online DelTrotter

• Believer
« Reply #1123 on: January 12, 2019, 08:38:08 PM »
So our most expensive signings will be Alisson, van Dijk, backup/rotation forward.

Yes. Why not? Or maybe whatever attacker we sign may end up so good he takes Manes place, who knows.

Whatís wrong with that? Utd can have a 90m player on the bench. Real can have Bale winning them a CL from the bench. City a 60m attacking sub but we arenít allowed one? You are making no sense at all.

Hopefully we find another genius for cheap but if we have to spend then we have to spend, nothing wrong with that and we have the money.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #1124 on: January 12, 2019, 08:39:30 PM »
We're now in a position whereby barring exits we can afford to put all our eggs in a couple of baskets every summer. We don't need wholesale changes every summer like we had for seasons. A £60m forward is a much more palatable risk to take when you don't absolutely need him to carry the club, less so when you've got more holes in the team than a Swiss cheese. This is what the big clubs do really, they sign one or 2 big players every summer to keep improving. Man City only signed Mahrez in 2018.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #1125 on: January 12, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »

Youíre forgetting Keita. And youíre also forgetting that Mane, Salah and Firmino are now worth far more than 60 million, in Salahís case you need to double that amount, possibly triple it. 60 million in this market gets you a Pulisic or a Lemar, a Mahrez or a Fred...None of those start in our best eleven with the possible exception of Mahrez (but then weíd have AOC and likely Keita on the bench).

Is it impossible that we try to add one more such player to our squad? Why? We will also free up the wages that Sturridge, Ings, Origi and Solanke gets, now and in the summer.

Again I ask what sort of player do you think we will replace the forwards above with? Someone like Solanke again?

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1126 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:57 PM »

Organisation aiming for £500m turnover, spend all their energies on trying to win the league and Champions League, put together one of the most feared attacks in football with Salah, Firmino and Mane, and reach the CL final, are forced to put on a half-fit Adam Lallana in not-his-best position to replace injured Salah and then look to Emre Can to salvage the game. Does that make more sense?

You're nuts pal  :wave
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:56:19 PM by Goalposts for Jumpers »

Offline a treeless whopper

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas
  • Believer
« Reply #1127 on: January 12, 2019, 09:20:26 PM »
With the way we are playing the 4-2-3-1 we will probably see an attacking midfielder who can play off the left but can play in midfield the few teams we go to a 4-3-3.

Maddison and Anderson are examples. Both have played in a front three and deeper, as well as off the left.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Believer
« Reply #1128 on: January 12, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »

Apt username.
96 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline an fear dearg

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1129 on: January 12, 2019, 09:43:26 PM »
I see thereís a bit of chat starting about Declanís Rice. I know he is young and a bit of a flavour of the month but I have watched him a fair bit and honestly think he might be a really good addition and will provide options in the back and as a DM. What would people think?

Online Original

• Kopite
  • Sound
« Reply #1130 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »

Mad, you

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1131 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:30 PM »
I see thereís a bit of chat starting about Declanís Rice. I know he is young and a bit of a flavour of the month but I have watched him a fair bit and honestly think he might be a really good addition and will provide options in the back and as a DM. What would people think?

Iíd be disappointed to say the least if we havenít got a youngster on a par with him

I donít see what all the fuss is about with him to be honest

Online Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1132 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »

I think that if we were interested, we should have done something about it before he signed a new long-term contract given that we could have got him for a tribunal fee.

Can't see us being interested in him, we've got more than enough quality in the positions he plays in.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Believer
Re: General Thread - Winter Window 2019 (No Fekir coming, No Capon)
« Reply #1133 on: January 12, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
But is it happening?

I think FSG have proven that they're prepared to pay what it takes to get quality if we identify it.

Itís happening based on circumstances, not initial planning.

I can be proven wrong in the future but so far we havenít spent large sums on players we thought werenít starters.

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1134 on: January 12, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
Apt username.

Mad, you

Atleast I'm not suggesting we would use 60M+ on a backup forward.

;D

Online Eel Lobo

• Chief Suck Up.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • I'm hot for you Patricia
« Reply #1135 on: January 12, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »

I can be proven wrong in the future but so far we havenít spent large sums on players we thought werenít starters.

We havenít but then weíve always needed to strengthen the first XI first and foremost, and now weíre arguably in a position where we donít.
Yeah, for thinking Kane is better than Torres/Bergkamp. Crazy opinion.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Believer
« Reply #1136 on: January 12, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »

;D

Backup forward is arbitrary. For all we know we sign somebody that becomes impossible to keep off the pitch and Mane becomes the one under pressure. Attacking depth is clearly the area we're still a tad bit lacking so it makes sense to put most of our resources into strengthening it. Tough to challenge in more than a couple of tournaments without it, as we saw on Monday night.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Believer
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #1137 on: January 12, 2019, 10:46:26 PM »

;D

Its the stage we are at now, all our first teamers have significant value so to improve on what we have or to buy someone to challenge our attackers you have to spend big or roll the dice.

I like both Sturridge and Origi, they have both shown in the past that they are pretty decent subs at times but potentially neither is displacing Bobby or Mo for a stretch of games despite good form, and it doesnt appear as though Klopp has that in mind.

Its at the stage where i would prefer it now or in the summer that Klopp bought someone to actually challenge Firmino and Mo for their positions, I know they probably wouldnt take their position, not right away atleast but have an understudy in place in case of fatigue, injury or even if the main player transfers away, they can step in almost seamlessly and the team doesnt lose out.

Probably wont need 60 million for that type but then again, players arent cheap and if you did buy this January you wouldnt want to roll the dice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:48:08 PM by Wesley Pipes »

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1138 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
Backup forward is arbitrary. For all we know we sign somebody that becomes impossible to keep off the pitch and Mane becomes the one under pressure. Attacking depth is clearly the area we're still a tad bit lacking so it makes sense to put most of our resources into strengthening it. Tough to challenge in more than a couple of tournaments without it, as we saw on Monday night.

That is the catch.
This is where we should aim.

No options for 50MÄ, If you pay that, it's not for potential, it's for right now, right here.

Online Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #1139 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:51 PM »

We might as well stick with what we've got then.

The reality is that improving a squad as good as ours, and getting someone who will be good enough to compete for a place and rotate with our front three, is going to cost quite a lot of money.  We'll probably need to replace Mignolet and Moreno but we're not going to spend a lot in doing that because we have Alisson and Robertson.  We've got depth at centre back, depth in midfield, the one area we need to strengthen is the attack so money shouldn't be an issue.

Shaqiri has proven to be a very valuable player, Brewster will get opportunities.  But we need one more.  If City could go out last summer and add Mahrez to what they already had in attack, we can afford to add one more quality option to our own, particularly as we're likely to move on Sturridge and Origi having already let Ings and Solanke go.  We're not talking Dembele/Dybala type signings, that's fantasy stuff - but there is quality out there that is attainable and will improve us further.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Believer
« Reply #1140 on: January 12, 2019, 10:56:00 PM »
That is the catch.

No options for 50MÄ, If you pay that, it's not for potential, it's for right now, right here.

50m is really not a huge amount these days, it's really not a crippling amount for any top 6 team bar Spurs. You don't want to go wasting it but even if they happened to flop it wouldn't be a disaster because we have a team that could hold it's own and absorb the financial hit.

You can still get a great player if you do scouting properly though. We nearly got Fekir for that amount and he's an absolutely unbelievable player.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #1141 on: January 12, 2019, 10:57:43 PM »
Getting Ox and Brewster(Making the step up) back will help, Lets just say it is Werner who is signed. We would have Salah,Werner,Firmino Brewster all could play as Striker
For the 3 spots(Inside left,centrally,inside right) behind Striker would Mane,Firmino,Shaqiri,Ox,Werner,Brewster,Wilson(?),Woodburn(?), Can also play keita and Gini in those spots also Think that would be enough Depth to rotate/cover, If somebody else we got with an attack i would think a lallana type profile would be one

Not sure why Ox is being brought up as some kind of option for the front three. He's got no end product in that position, it's detrimental to him, and it's clear that he's best playing in midfield.

Brewster we know very little about as far as if he can make the grade.

Another attacking player with the ability to score goals is a must.

Mane,Salah are off to the AFCON in the summer after another grueling season. People are stuck in the starting XI mindset, when the game is revolved around more than just that through out the season.

It's about preserving and maintaining  a high quality level of competition and end product on the pitch. We're due to make tons of money again, and  money shouldn't be an issue. We average about 60 some matches with CL football, and if we are going to continue to progress its  imperative that a creative midfielder and a player capable of scoring goals in the front 3 is signed.

Dont rest on your laurels. It's why the Mancs maintained success for 20 years.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 11:12:14 PM by deFacto »

Online Die NullfŁnfer

• Believer
  • Backpfeifengesicht
« Reply #1142 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
That is the catch.

these days it isn't always. Chelsea spent Ä80m on a potentially good goalie, and Ä64m on a potentially good winger.

Hell, even Everton where paying for potential when they stumped up 50 mill for Richarlison.

It's all about improving, sometimes it costs a lot right off the bat, sometimes it doesn't. Liverpool have done a masterful job of building and restructuring this squad in the last 3 years, with fees ranging from steals, to expensive players, many of whom now look like steals.

If they feel the players is available regardless of it being a younger player or a more established player, then I'm at the stage of not giving the slightest crap how much they cost, that is the trust they have instilled in the support. And I hate the big fees in football by the way, can't stand 'em, but I love how our club is ran these days.
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein kŲnnen.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer