Author Topic: UEFA Champions League. LFC in last sixteen. Bayern Muller-light?  (Read 120486 times)

Offline Petadroli

• Believer
  • Swiss Red
Re: UEFA Champions League. LFC in last sixteen. Bayern Muller-light?
« Reply #2360 on: February 11, 2019, 10:46:04 AM »
Bayern Munich are a team with its flaws this season. Kovac still hasn't found the perfect team or formula yet, but the performances have clearly picked up. They have been the second-best side in the Bundesliga so far this season, mainly because their defense is not as good as it used to be - Hummels, Boateng and Neuer feel their age creeping up on them and Niklas Süle is not experienced enough to play CB at the highest level. Up front they are always dangerous with Lewandowski, Ribery and Robben are always a danger when they show up and they do have substitutes trying to oust them like Coman and Gnabry. They can certainly score against us with Van Dijk missing the first leg, but they will also concede. They haven't kept a clean sheet in their last five, conceding 8 goals in those games.

I also think their performances in the CL this season shouldn't be too hyped up, as they only faced Ajax, AEK Athens and Benfica. All three are normally stats padders for the true elite.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2361 on: February 11, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
 :o
Forgot we'll be without VVD in the first leg!

What will our back 4 be like then?

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2362 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
:o
Forgot we'll be without VVD in the first leg!

What will our back 4 be like then?

Trent Matip Lovren* Robertson

*Assuming he recovers from injury, if not then we'll probably have to put Fabinho back there?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2363 on: February 11, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »
I know the focus of most fans is on the League at the moment, but fuck me I can't wait for this tie.

I feel exactly the same.  Their one of the absolute giants who's success straddles both the modern era and bygone times that I grew up reading about - Super Cup aside, I've wanted us to meet them for years.  I felt much the same in 2005 when we played Juventus, and in 2009 when we met Real.  Can't wait!

Offline MNAA

• Believer
« Reply #2364 on: February 11, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
Amazing to think that we have never played Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

We've played and beaten every other 'big' club, but never them.

Just happy we've got a chance to do that now :D

Think we'll win the 1st leg.
2nd leg will be tighter.
But we'll edge it.
Champions League = European Cup. No different. Hence we played and beat them in 80/81 on our to European Cup #3
"We decide when the game is over"

Offline Nitramdorf

• Believer
« Reply #2365 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:54 PM »
What an incredible performance that was. With today's reffing standards Bayern would've been left with about 5 players on the pitch. They were just taking wild swings at him by the end.

I think we brought him off in the end as well didnt we? A sub that was subbed. Put him on to run them ragged, he did the job he was asked to do. Just perfect game management. We had so many genius' on the bench.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2366 on: February 11, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
Got my ticket through over the weekend. I know the league is all important, but I fucking love the European cup and European cup nights. Bayern at Anfield, under the lights, few bevvys before, meet the coach, have no voice the next day.

These are the nights you want. Liverpool dining at the top table where we belong. I'd rather be playing the links of Madrid, Barcas and Bayern than Schalke

Offline Die Nullfünfer

• Believer
  • Es wird wieder passieren
« Reply #2367 on: February 11, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
Got my ticket through over the weekend. I know the league is all important, but I fucking love the European cup and European cup nights. Bayern at Anfield, under the lights, few bevvys before, meet the coach, have no voice the next day.

These are the nights you want. Liverpool dining at the top table where we belong. I'd rather be playing the links of Madrid, Barcas and Bayern than Schalke

I agree, apart from the Schalke bit, cos I'd rather play Schalke than the likes of PSG and City (or Lyon, Porto and Roma for that fact). At least Schalke are a big club with a fantastic fan base.  And unlike City, their fans actually turn up to support them. Just a shame they are doing so shit this season  ;D
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #2368 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
Nothing gets me more excited in football than a European fixture at Anfield, i hope it's another fantastic night and we blow them away off and on the pitch.

Offline tray fenny

• Kopite
« Reply #2369 on: February 11, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
And Howard Gayle for a bit of the second leg.

just watched the 81 away game on youtube, incredible decision not to award a pen when Howard Gayle was taken out in the box in the first half.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline 😁

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #2370 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:48 PM »
Amazing to think that we have never played Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

We've played and beaten every other 'big' club, but never them.

Just happy we've got a chance to do that now :D

Think we'll win the 1st leg.
2nd leg will be tighter.
But we'll edge it.

That's just like saying we've never won the Premier League. A different name doesn't make it a different competition. 

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #2371 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:50 PM »
That's just like saying we've never won the Premier League. A different name doesn't make it a different competition.

We've never won the Premier League is true. We've never won the English League is false. Think there's a difference between the two statements.

Offline 😁

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #2372 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
We've never won the Premier League is true. We've never won the English League is false. Think there's a difference between the two statements.

It's the same league with a different name.
We really should stop being so proud of winning it 5 times then if we've only won it once. Or is it 4 times?
1 League Cup, 3 Milk Cups, 1 Coca Cola Cup, 2 Worthington Cups, 1 Carling Cup. Or is it 8 League Cups?

Offline Jon2lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2373 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
I should have written 'in the modern era' in my original post to make it crystal clear what I meant to all.

Because it's pretty obvious we've played every big team ever since we were founded.

Not wanting to side-track the thread, but I'm an old head and I do see some marked differences between winning the old European Cup in the 70s and winning the Champions League now. We've definitely won it 5 times. But 4 times under old format and 1 time under new.

Offline storkfoot

• Main Stander
  • Season Ticket holder since '77.
« Reply #2374 on: February 11, 2019, 06:51:31 PM »
just watched the 81 away game on youtube, incredible decision not to award a pen when Howard Gayle was taken out in the box in the first half.

I remember listening to the Radio City commentary in my flat in Birkenhead ( not on Tv in those days) I was sat on the loo when we scored. I’ll leave it to your imagination as to what happened next.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Believer
« Reply #2375 on: February 11, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »

Absolutely longed for nights like this between 2009 and 2016. Now it’s likely three seasons in a row in the competition and we’re competitive, not like when we made the numbers up in 2014. Exciting times.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2376 on: February 11, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
I remember listening to the Radio City commentary in my flat in Birkenhead ( not on Tv in those days) I was sat on the loo when we scored. I’ll leave it to your imagination as to what happened next.

They're still cleaning up the mess?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2377 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
They kicked off.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline Hellrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he?
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2378 on: February 12, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
Origi could be a good choice here

he absolutely destroyed hummels in 2016. scored in both legs too
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2379 on: February 12, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »

Was that before or after dogshit Funes Mori crippled him though?

Offline Hellrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he?
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #2380 on: February 12, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »
Was that before or after dogshit Funes Mori crippled him though?
before

he wasnt the same but still he could be useful here

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Kopite
« Reply #2381 on: February 18, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »

There's literally no chance that Origi is starting the game though, is there? Let's be honest!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #2382 on: February 18, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
There's literally no chance that Origi is starting the game though, is there? Let's be honest!
i should have said as a sub not starting

he is an option

should have made that clearer sorry

Offline Raid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2383 on: February 18, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
Origi was bloody great during those couple of months. Thought he looked like a real top prospect at times, before the Bitter crippled him

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #2384 on: February 18, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
Origi was bloody great during those couple of months. Thought he looked like a real top prospect at times
until the Everton game when he was taken out. Funes Mori deserved a broken jaw for that, celebrating doing something like that is just being a complete scum bag

Offline Raid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2385 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
until the Everton game when he was taken out. Funes Mori deserved a broken jaw for that, celebrating doing something like that is just being a complete scum bag

Have edited my post to illustrate that point! The way he was thumping the Everton badge after doing it too

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #2386 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
Have edited my post to illustrate that point! The way he was thumping the Everton badge after doing it too
yep. accidentally doing that is bad enough but to do it purposely and openly celebrate is just being a james hunt