Author Topic: Knees up mother Fekir  (Read 381134 times)

Offline rkgriffin

• Anny Roader
Re: Knees up mother Fekir
« Reply #4200 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
I don't think any of us are use to such a large squad and it is just something we will have to get use to.  Of course there are going to be a couple going out but we are going to have a large squad of good players this year.  Just look already at some of our schedule especially before January. 

We might end up playing Barcelona and 4 days later playing Man City.  If we have one or two injuries we will need all our players.  Even if you plan on playing most of your top 11 in those two games that means we need a team to play Chelsea 3 days before Barca. 

So in the span of 7 days we could have Chelsea-Barca-City.  We better have a big team.  By January we will know where are are and can sell/loan off the extra players.  Even if the other UCL games are sandwiched by so called weaker teams Huddersfield-UCL-Cardiff we need a strong team to take care of business this year if we are going to challenge for the league.  We cannot risk drawing against teams we should be beating.

Anyway, my point is stock up like crazy until January.

Offline reniformis

• Believer
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #4201 on: July 13, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »

Mine too. Especially when you factor in the World Cup and some big players probably not starting the first few games. Maybe that's why we're not going so big on the transfer spending, we're going to have a hefty wage bill this year even if it's only for the short term.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:02:13 PM by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline mercurial

• Believer
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #4202 on: July 13, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »
I don't think any of us are use to such a large squad and it is just something we will have to get use to.  Of course there are going to be a couple going out but we are going to have a large squad of good players this year.  Just look already at some of our schedule especially before January. 

We might end up playing Barcelona and 4 days later playing Man City.  If we have one or two injuries we will need all our players.  Even if you plan on playing most of your top 11 in those two games that means we need a team to play Chelsea 3 days before Barca. 

So in the span of 7 days we could have Chelsea-Barca-City.  We better have a big team.  By January we will know where are are and can sell/loan off the extra players.  Even if the other UCL games are sandwiched by so called weaker teams Huddersfield-UCL-Cardiff we need a strong team to take care of business this year if we are going to challenge for the league.  We cannot risk drawing against teams we should be beating.

Doesn't work like that in reality. Injuries can happen. You cannot replace key players. If you get 2-3 key players injured simultaneously then you cannot replace them like for like except for City to an extent. So stocking players does not help. There are multiple ways to cope with players injuries. You tweak the system, you change positions and tactics etc etc.

Having a large squad in itself causes friction due to players being on bench for long periods. Young players get frustrated due to path being blocked to the first team. Having a good quality bench is important. In our system we prefer players who can play 2-3 positions with good effect. So we do not need 20 great players. Klopp is good at rotation and keep the squad motivated. So be prepared to let players go even if it is someone we like and fought tooth and nail on a forum.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline Agent99

• Believer
« Reply #4203 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
#LFC still want – and need – another creative attacking midfielder. Their deal for Lyon’s Nabil Fekir collapsed in June, and Goal understands it is unlikely to be revived this summer. But, as yet, no alternative target has emerged. [Neil Jones]

Klopp admires Christian Pulisic of Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain's Julian Draxler and the Bayer Leverkusen pair Kai Havertz and Julian Brandt, among others, but there is radio silence at present. [Neil Jones]

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4204 on: July 13, 2018, 09:33:17 PM »
#LFC still want – and need – another creative attacking midfielder. Their deal for Lyon’s Nabil Fekir collapsed in June, and Goal understands it is unlikely to be revived this summer. But, as yet, no alternative target has emerged. [Neil Jones]

Klopp admires Christian Pulisic of Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain's Julian Draxler and the Bayer Leverkusen pair Kai Havertz and Julian Brandt, among others, but there is radio silence at present. [Neil Jones]

"...but there is radio silence at present."  So he has no idea what's going on. Got it.

Offline Vicks86

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4205 on: July 13, 2018, 09:33:31 PM »
Why is Neil Jones doing this?? Why??

Shaping up to be a nice weekend.. Shaq announced, Final upcoming and we all would probably be rampantly refreshing Twitter for Fekir updates. But he has to say this now!

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4206 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
"...but there is radio silence at present."  So he has no idea what's going on. Got it.

Exactly no idea, so they are just throwing names out there to cover all bases. Also if on the one hand he's saying Fekir is not happening then why are there no other links with other players? Doesn't make much sense this Neil.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Henry Gale

• Believer
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #4207 on: July 13, 2018, 09:40:17 PM »

Was Neil Jones the guy who interviewed Klopp on a plane not so long back?

Offline J-Mc-

• Just a wanker on a wind-up
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4208 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »
The neil jones thing comes across as more an opinion piece.

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4209 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:16 PM »
Exactly no idea, so they are just throwing names out there to cover all bases. Also if on the one hand he's saying Fekir is not happening then why are there no other links with other players? Doesn't make much sense this Neil.

"Unlikely" is nowhere near "not happening." Plus, this is a reporter who I believe usually gets his information from club sources. If he's getting nothing from them, likely on both Fekir and the other names, then he's speculating on all of it based on old information.

This seems like a "Liverpool just signed someone, I have to give an update on what might happen next" kind of thing.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4210 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:45 PM »

Apart from Havertz, none of those players are anything like Coutinho/Fekir, and one of them is shite.

I don't think he knows anything, and it's guesswork. Unless it's a tactic to force Aulas back in to talks, can never be sure.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Old Skool & Rave Music Guru.
« Reply #4211 on: July 13, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
Why is Neil Jones doing this?? Why??

Shaping up to be a nice weekend.. Shaq announced, Final upcoming and we all would probably be rampantly refreshing Twitter for Fekir updates. But he has to say this now!

Calm down mate.

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4212 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
"Unlikely" is nowhere near "not happening." Plus, this is a reporter who I believe usually gets his information from club sources. If he's getting nothing from them, likely on both Fekir and the other names, then he's speculating on all of it based on old information.

This seems like a "Liverpool just signed someone, I have to give an update on what might happen next" kind of thing.

I would agree with your first sentence the Echo has been quite bullish in saying there is nothing in this one, but the words are slightly different now. So, we wait and see what happens after the World Cup final.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. He's creepy and he's kooky, mysterious and spooky, he's altogether ooky, he's Adam's fa-mi-ly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4213 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
Few rumours doing the rounds on twatter via french pages that he’s staying at Lyon.

Announcement in about an hour apparently, see how true it is.

Why would he announce that unless he signs a new contact.

Oh it 3 hours gone now.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4214 on: July 13, 2018, 09:53:39 PM »

lebron was wearing a pulisic USA jersey on his insta a few days ago, just sayin

Offline PeterTheRed

• Believer
« Reply #4215 on: July 13, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »
lebron was wearing a pulisic USA jersey on his insta a few days ago, just sayin

LeBron aside, I'd probably rather have Pulisic than Fekir ... I like Fekir, but I feel that Pulisic has a higher upside, and his age makes him perfect for the role of the 12th/13th player on the squad rotation at the moment ... Our attack is already very strong, so I expect to see Klopp using the Henderson/Fabinho/Keita combination in midfield pretty often next season ...

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #4216 on: July 14, 2018, 12:40:54 AM »

He's got something from them about Fekir which is why he says that his understanding is that the deal won't be revived.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #4217 on: July 14, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »
He's got something from them about Fekir which is why he says that his understanding is that the deal won't be revived.

His understanding could be from one of many different sources (some reliable, some less so).

Given he comments on how tight lipped the club are being it's highly possible his info is not direct from them.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #4218 on: July 14, 2018, 12:52:19 AM »
His understanding could be from one of many different sources (some reliable, some less so).

Given he comments on how tight lipped the club are being it's highly possible his info is not direct from them.

Possibly.  My money would be on it being someone at the club given he's a local journalist, unless he's got sources in France.

Whoever the source is, it will be someone he trusts.  And that source is telling him that a deal for Fekir is unlikely to happen, which could change or we might well be looking elsewhere.  He's not saying anything different to any of the other reliable journalists in fairness, Maddock aside though I'm not sure how reliable he actually is

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • https://twitter.com/babuyagu
    • BabuYagu's Tweeting Random Shite
« Reply #4219 on: July 14, 2018, 12:59:26 AM »

He also admires Dembele & Thiago. Messi too.

Offline telekon

• Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Believer
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #4220 on: July 14, 2018, 01:33:23 AM »
One trick pony. Poor man's Coutinho. He can hold up the ball and that's basically it. Takes too many touches. Not very fast.

Both Fabinho and Keita, as well as Shaqiri (with his potential ROI), seem to have been excellent signings, but this is a no go for me. We need someone better, we need a player who can stand in for the front three, or even challenge the front trio to a spot. In my opinion he's not good enough, and he's not the player we're looking for. Move along.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline penwhen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4221 on: July 14, 2018, 01:49:23 AM »
It seems like Maddock is getting his information from Fekir's people. They seem to be trying to force Aulas' hand and hope Liverpool are still willing to make a deal (and may have gotten some direct or indirect encouragement from LFC for this, but who knows). I would think that if Fekir is still that keen on moving to Liverpool that they couldn't have insulted his fitness that badly.

Of course, if he does come here, I will always call him The Knee.

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Into the top right corner.
« Reply #4222 on: July 14, 2018, 01:52:42 AM »
One trick pony. Poor man's Coutinho. He can hold up the ball and that's basically it. Takes too many touches. Not very fast.

Both Fabinho and Keita, as well as Shaqiri (with his potential ROI), seem to have been excellent signings, but this is a no go for me. We need someone better, we need a player who can stand in for the front three, or even challenge the front trio to a spot. In my opinion he's not good enough, and he's not the player we're looking for. Move along.

He certainly scores a lot of goals for a one trick pony. In a way, if you consider Fekir a one trick pony, you could possibly say the same about Coutinho, who we sold for over twice the amount that we're being quoted for Fekir. Poor man's Coutinho? I'm not sure about the poor man part, but certainly a better value proposition than Coutinho.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #4223 on: July 14, 2018, 02:20:22 AM »
He certainly scores a lot of goals for a one trick pony. In a way, if you consider Fekir a one trick pony, you could possibly say the same about Coutinho, who we sold for over twice the amount that we're being quoted for Fekir. Poor man's Coutinho? I'm not sure about the poor man part, but certainly a better value proposition than Coutinho.
I think you are being wooshed.

Offline AmanShah21

• Main Stander
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4224 on: July 14, 2018, 04:04:19 AM »
At the minute, Pulisic is more hype than material because he is quite clearly the biggest talent to come from the States in recent years. He is a good player, maybe could be a world beater, but nothing he has shown so far justify the Coutinho comparison. He is 7 years younger for one(Only 19, though it feels like he's been around for ages) and he's atleast 2-3 years in development away from even being a good squad option for us. If we buy him now, he'll not add anything to the squad - he'll literally be bottom choice for winger and attacking mid slots and I don't see how that would benefit his development. He'll grow better with Dortmund where he'll get more minutes and less media pressure.

On the other hand, Fekir looks like he is first-team ready. Especially his general style of play fits ours like a glove. He'll need to acclimatize to English football, but I see him hitting the ground running a much higher probability. The only question with him is his medical. If he really isn't in a shape that is worth risking his price, then I can see us staying away. I do not see any other reason why we'd not want him. Regardless, one more attacker now after Shaqiri will sort our outfield positions. I am on the fence about our goalie situation, but I'll be okay with whatever Klopp decides.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:08:14 AM by AmanShah21 »

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #4225 on: July 14, 2018, 04:27:46 AM »
Is there any indication/reason that Dortmund would sell Pulisic? Or is it all just shitechat in the brittish media?

In the end, dortmund would be mad.. no, utterly insane to sell him on for anything under 200 M€ considering he's supposed to be the one genuine talent to come out from there.

We all laugh about shirtsales, but the marketing potential of pulisic is a thing which dortmund will base their price upon.

Offline BabuYagu

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #4226 on: July 14, 2018, 04:55:19 AM »
Is there any indication/reason that Dortmund would sell Pulisic? Or is it all just shitechat in the brittish media?

In the end, dortmund would be mad.. no, utterly insane to sell him on for anything under 200 M€ considering he's supposed to be the one genuine talent to come out from there.

We all laugh about shirtsales, but the marketing potential of pulisic is a thing which dortmund will base their price upon.

I read an article on him recently that said he was the 2nd most marketable player in the world last year. That doesn't mean popular - just on how much money you can make from his image/brand/whatever you want to call it. Shirtsales and club merchandise make up a tiny fraction of that. It mentioned stuff like sponsorship partners and the likes.

Not that it should ever even come into consideration when buying a player. Except in FM when you take over Crewe, get them into the Premier League and need to raise their profile because gate receipts SUCK!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Believer
« Reply #4227 on: July 14, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »

I agree with this in general and yet still think a culling needs to occur. To me, the ideal scenario would be in us getting a speedy winger/striker and keeper with Mignolet, Ward, Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Markovic, Kent, and Grujic sold and maybe 3-4 kids on loan. If we sign Fekir I also think we ideally would lose a midfielder but recognize that's not a popular opinion and it's hard to identify who.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4228 on: July 14, 2018, 05:44:18 AM »

Won’t be the first time.  ;D

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Old Skool & Rave Music Guru.
« Reply #4229 on: July 14, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »

Wow! What a load of nonsense. One trick pony my arse.

Oh and he clearly is the player we're looking for. That's why we went through all that trouble trying to sign him.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #4230 on: July 14, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »
I read an article on him recently that said he was the 2nd most marketable player in the world last year. That doesn't mean popular - just on how much money you can make from his image/brand/whatever you want to call it. Shirtsales and club merchandise make up a tiny fraction of that. It mentioned stuff like sponsorship partners and the likes.

I'd love to read that article as not a chance he is ahead of any of Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar. I reckon there are plenty more he's well behind too.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4231 on: July 14, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
Wow! What a load of nonsense. One trick pony my arse.

Oh and he clearly is the player we're looking for. That's why we went through all that trouble trying to sign him.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • Believer
« Reply #4232 on: July 14, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
According to this French journo it's still on..

Romain Collet-Gaudin@RomainCG75

La venue de #Shaqiri à #Liverpool n'est pas un obstacle à celle de #Fekir. Les négociations entre #Lyon et #Liverpool vont reprendre après la Coupe du Monde. #LFC

The coming of #Shaqiri at #Liverpool is not an obstacle to that of #Fekir. The negotiations between #Lyon and #Liverpool will resume after the World Cup. #LFC

Offline Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4233 on: July 14, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »

La venue de #Shaqiri à #Liverpool n'est pas un obstacle à celle de #Fekir. Les négociations entre #Lyon et #Liverpool vont reprendre après la Coupe du Monde. #LFC

The coming of #Shaqiri at #Liverpool is not an obstacle to that of #Fekir. The negotiations between #Lyon and #Liverpool will resume after the World Cup. #LFC

And nary a mention of radio silence. It's on!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zee_26

• Kopite
« Reply #4234 on: July 14, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »
I await Dejan Lovren presenting Fekir with his Liverpool contract at full time tomorrow.

Online Didi_ram

• Believer
  • The Stebie.
« Reply #4235 on: July 14, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »

You're surely kidding right? We dont have a number 10 who can supply the front 3, nor do we have anyone in midfield (barring now maybe Keita) with the skill sets. If Klopp is willing to pay 53mp for him, he'd have to be bloody well convinced, and this boy is special. I'd go as far as to say that Fekir would be the one of the first choice players in European football to fit into our system of play in the position that we are looking.

Online Didi_ram

• Believer
  • The Stebie.
« Reply #4236 on: July 14, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »

Collet-Gaudin has been ahead of others as far as this transfer is concerned. IIRC, he mentioned this deal in early May. In June he mentioned that Fekir was coming to Liverpool for a medical, however that turned out to be false. Since the deal broke down, he's remained confident that the deal would be resurrected.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4237 on: July 14, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
If he comes then it will be only after 3-4  months that he will be able to play at the same rhythm as the rest. We will need Lallana at his best for the start of the season. I think we will sell one of Gini or hendo in the coming days. If we can keep all it is great but I do not think Klopp will keep a large core squad.

It would be idiotic to be selling a current midfield starter in this window, you can't be sure how quickly the new signings will settle, so you return to the question of selling anyone in one of the next couple of windows after this one rather than potentially undoing the strengthening that has been done to that area of the squad.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4238 on: July 14, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »

I wish people wouldn't give more credit to stupid posts by saying they are intentionally trying to whoosh/fish/etc other posters, they are simply shitposting.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Believer
« Reply #4239 on: July 14, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
Quicker the world cup is put to bed and Fekir is all tucked up in Liverpool the better.