Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1501668 times)

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)
« Reply #12920 on: May 29, 2024, 09:22:20 am »
We absolutely must extend his contract. I personally cannot stress the importance keeping him here for another 3-4 years. I'd go as far as to say, above all the other players, he is the one who we must do our utmost to keep. I think he's that important to us. He will continue to be world class well into his mid thirties.

Fully agree with this!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12921 on: May 29, 2024, 10:36:40 am »
In my opinion he's been the best player in our most recent era. One of the best we have ever had infact. That's not enough to give him a new contract just on that, sentiment is how you fall behind. What is enough to give him a new contract is he still is the best and could be for a while yet.. I'd rather Van Dijk in our side that any other centre half in the game, and I'm sure Alisson, Trent, Robbo and the others would say the same thing. New contract for Van Dijk ?  Definite contender for the no brainer of the summer award 

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12922 on: May 30, 2024, 10:54:02 am »
Seen a few reports with fearmongering headlines designed to suggest he's leaving, but when you read them it's clear there is absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like he's very relaxed about the contract situation and already seems to have developed a good relationship with Slot.

Understandable that sorting out the SD and manager have been bigger priorities for the club up to this point but expect it will be high on the to-do list for when he's back from the Euros.

Agree that it's a no-brainer that we want him to stay for at least another few years.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #12923 on: June 6, 2024, 09:39:25 pm »
Played the last 25 mins for Holland, and scored, against Canada.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12924 on: June 6, 2024, 09:53:14 pm »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12925 on: June 6, 2024, 10:31:21 pm »
Played the last 25 mins for Holland, and scored, against Canada.

Shit defenders so doesnít count.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #12926 on: June 6, 2024, 10:55:36 pm »
Shit defenders so doesnít count.

:D
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12927 on: June 6, 2024, 11:10:49 pm »
calmly rises above an air-punching goalie, like you do
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12928 on: June 10, 2024, 10:10:14 pm »
Scored again. However only against Iceland. So shit defenders and therefore doesn't count.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12929 on: June 10, 2024, 10:11:34 pm »
Scored again. However only against Iceland. So shit defenders and therefore doesn't count.

Goal: https://streamin.me/v/afc37b1f
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12930 on: June 10, 2024, 10:16:18 pm »
Goal: https://streamin.me/v/afc37b1f

I won't even watch it because it's against such inferior defenders.

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12931 on: June 10, 2024, 11:12:19 pm »
With how dominant he is. Should score way more for us really!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12932 on: June 11, 2024, 04:21:25 am »

True! Who have Iceland ever beaten?

Also the Vikings were overrated.

And the blue lagoon is terr.....actually I quite liked that place.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12933 on: June 11, 2024, 06:40:55 am »

I will have you know that Iceland prevented the greatest striker in the history of the game from scoring last week.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12934 on: June 21, 2024, 09:12:56 pm »
Why has Virg completely stopped playing that long cross field pass to the right wing that he used to play to Mo on a fairly regular basis?
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #12935 on: June 21, 2024, 10:00:59 pm »
Why has Virg completely stopped playing that long cross field pass to the right wing that he used to play to Mo on a fairly regular basis?

Because Mo isn't Dutch.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12936 on: June 21, 2024, 10:09:01 pm »
Skipper!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #12937 on: June 21, 2024, 10:48:17 pm »
Because Mo isn't Dutch.
:lmao

Good response!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12938 on: June 22, 2024, 12:47:53 am »
Because Mo isn't Dutch.
Man has a point.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12939 on: June 22, 2024, 11:02:59 am »
Virgil has a rightful dig at shit English referees  :wave :wave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fdnQJ0UkY
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12940 on: July 6, 2024, 10:09:21 pm »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12941 on: July 8, 2024, 03:55:46 pm »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12942 on: July 8, 2024, 06:39:21 pm »
Many happy returns skipper. Best of luck on Wednesday  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12943 on: July 10, 2024, 11:22:36 pm »
Iím a bit gutted for Virg. Hope he has a great season

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12944 on: July 11, 2024, 12:05:58 pm »
Some comments from Virgil today from after the Nat h yesterday saying he will consider what he wants at club level and international level prior to the season starting, a bit ominous considering we need him to sign a new contract.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12945 on: July 11, 2024, 12:15:04 pm »
Some comments from Virgil today from after the Nat h yesterday saying he will consider what he wants at club level and international level prior to the season starting, a bit ominous considering we need him to sign a new contract.

Seems pretty standard. He signs a contract with us then its basically retirement here so he needs to consider it. Personally I am comfortable with whatever stance he and Salah take even if that means they leave for free next season. Trent is another matter.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12946 on: July 11, 2024, 12:45:28 pm »
maybe that's just a hint at retiring from the national team.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12947 on: July 11, 2024, 12:56:55 pm »
Seems pretty standard. He signs a contract with us then its basically retirement here so he needs to consider it. Personally I am comfortable with whatever stance he and Salah take even if that means they leave for free next season. Trent is another matter.

Agreed on everything, to the extent that there's really no point in me posting this. Salah and Virgil have earned whatever they end up doing. If we lose Trent on a free, I'll be truly upset.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12948 on: July 11, 2024, 01:25:45 pm »
Mo and Virg are 32 and 33 respectively, and whilst I would prefer they extend their contracts because their freaks and age doesn't apply to them as much as it does to others, we need to think about their long term replacements sooner rather than later however you slice it.

Trent is 25. Not even in his prime yet. If we could only get 1 extension out of the 3 done, then I feel like it's a no brainer.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12949 on: July 11, 2024, 01:36:01 pm »
Mo and Virg are 32 and 33 respectively, and whilst I would prefer they extend their contracts because their freaks and age doesn't apply to them as much as it does to others, we need to think about their long term replacements sooner rather than later however you slice it.

Trent is 25. Not even in his prime yet. If we could only get 1 extension out of the 3 done, then I feel like it's a no brainer.

I do agree but hoping we can get all three done. Obviously the other two don't need as long as Trent does on their next deals but I'd give both at least one more year on top of what they both have.

If we keep only one at best and that follows a quiet Summer window in 2024 it's going to be fucking hugely underwhelming and I'm already panicking a bit that that's what happens. Let's hope not.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12950 on: July 11, 2024, 02:22:33 pm »
Virj is 33 and top clubs are wanting young Defenders these days. He will resign with us because no other club will be getting this version of Virgil never mind peak version.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12951 on: July 11, 2024, 02:41:35 pm »
Hard to be that arsed about contracts of players well in to their 30s, I'd add another year for both, anything more would be risky unless the wage is vastly reduced which won't happen. Trent as mentioned needs sorting though.

Always difficult when legends get in to their 30s and contract stuff comes up. A hard one for the club to win, they get criticised if they're let go and criticised if the player ends up on a big deal and is washed up halfway through it. Best outcome seems to be adding a year as we go but if they have 4 year contracts offers on stupid wages from elsewhere that's not easy to get them to agree to.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #12952 on: July 11, 2024, 05:05:37 pm »
He should get a contract extension imo as he'll still be top 3 defenders in the world over the next few years.

I don't think age is a concern with him considering his playing style.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #12953 on: July 11, 2024, 05:48:44 pm »
maybe that's just a hint at retiring from the national team.
Wouldn't blame him - the shit he gets when the team performs poorly notwithstanding that they just don't have very many good players any longer

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12954 on: July 13, 2024, 02:30:34 am »
His comments earlier on in the summer when he discussed speaking with Slot indicated (to me at least) that there was no contract offer on the table for him from us, so if that was to be the case, it is probably only fair that he considers his options. I suspect he will stay on for one more season and then leave on a free next summer, and as much as it would be sad to see such an incredible player for us leaving, I donít think it would be all that surprising given his age.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #12955 on: July 13, 2024, 11:17:50 am »
It's a negotiation and he has to look like he's thinking about moving - whether its true or not.

I hope he gets a bit longer contract, because he is vital for our defense and I think he has many years left at the top.