Author Topic: Liverpool to compete in the EFL Trophy 19/20  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Jm55

• Would drive you round the bend but his car won't start.
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Liverpool to compete in the EFL Trophy 19/20
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
Firstly, apologies if this has been posted elsewhere? I canít see it on the front page or in the U23/young players thread, I have searched as well but obviously delete if Iím duplicating -

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/353864-liverpool-2019-20-efl-trophy-confirmed

Thoughts?

Personally, itís obviously a good thing from our perspective in that the young players get a competetive chance at senior level, but I canít say the idea of the top 6 clubs in England having a go at a trophy specifically designed for the lower leagues sits especially well with me.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool to compete in the EFL Trophy 19/20
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
I like it

None of the big teams have made the final yet and think they find it a wake up call playing against seasoned pros

Can only be good for our development- look forward to seeing which group we end up in

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »
Liverpool and Manchester United enter EFL Trophy in 2019-20 season
6 hours ago From the section Football

Liverpool and Manchester United will enter Under-21 sides in the EFL Trophy in the 2019-20 season.

The pair are among 16 teams invited from category one academies, who will join the 48 League One and League Two clubs in the competition.

League One side Portsmouth won the EFL Trophy last season after beating Sunderland on penalties following a 2-2 draw at Wembley in March.

The draw for the group stage will take place in July.

The first round of fixtures is scheduled to be played in the week commencing Monday, 2 September.

Liverpool and United join Manchester City, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal in the competition, with the Premier League's top six from the previous campaign represented for the first time.

Nicky Butt, head of Manchester United's academy, said the EFL Trophy "will act as the ideal platform for the development of our homegrown talent".

Fifteen of the 16 Under-21 sides who will participate are affiliated to top-flight clubs, with Championship outfit Fulham also involved.

Sides from category one academies were first introduced to the competition in 2016-17, with Chelsea's under-21 side reaching the semi-finals in 2017-18.

"The recent feedback from clubs and coaches has been very positive, with the current format continuing to offer greater revenue for our clubs and competitive first-team football for young talent," English Football League executive chair Debbie Jevans said.

EFL Trophy invited Under-21 sides 2019-20
Arsenal
Aston Villa (new entrant)
Brighton & Hove Albion
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Leicester City
Liverpool (new entrant)
Manchester City
Manchester United (new entrant)
Newcastle United
Norwich City (returning entrant)
Southampton
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers

2018-19 sides not returning in 2019-20
Middlesbrough
Stoke City
Swansea City
West Bromwich Albion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48638603

It's all Yoko's fault, we have now become The Three Degrees..

Offline sms1986

• Seemingly I've changed my custom title, who will notice first?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:42:52 AM »
Sounds good for the youngsters, itíll be a great experience for them.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 09:29:29 PM »
Another trophy to win!
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.