Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 63839 times)

Offline Jon2lfc

• Kopite
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:01 PM »
Been through this thread with a fine tooth comb....haha great stuff!
Hmm not all of it! Some of the comments have been a bit cut-throat, some a bit close to the bone.... only a few have displayed the razor-sharp wit we're used to seeing from scousers.

It hasn't shaped up the way I thought it would. Seems to have faded away into oblivion if I'm honest.
Dalglish - Barnes - Beardsley - McManaman - Fowler - Owen - Gerrard - Torres - Suarez - Salah - Mane

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • kopite
« Reply #681 on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
Hmm not all of it! Some of the comments have been a bit cut-throat, some a bit close to the bone.... only a few have displayed the razor-sharp wit we're used to seeing from scousers.

It hasn't shaped up the way I thought it would. Seems to have faded away into oblivion if I'm honest.

Haha....very good, you been dying to write that!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Jon2lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #682 on: April 19, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
Haha....very good, you been dying to write that!
Nah, I've got a creative 'streak' in me....it always comes out, as long as no one's been giving me the 'hairdryer' treatment..
Dalglish - Barnes - Beardsley - McManaman - Fowler - Owen - Gerrard - Torres - Suarez - Salah - Mane

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming.
  • Kopite

Online PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #685 on: April 30, 2019, 01:55:36 PM »
I would say that on the list of things to get worked up about, that is quite low down, mate. ;D

Absolutely amazing player. People talk about Messi being one of a kind, never to be seen again, and I think Stevie is in that category for Liverpool. People genuinely talk about Scholes being better, pfffft. Only a blinkered United fan, or a hipster like those who insist Pirlo is better than Xavi could think that.

Xavi was better than Pirlo. Not by a lot though.

Gerrard was better than Scholes. And it wasn't even close. Arrogant Manc heads talk about League titles, but look at the disparity in individual accolades. 8 Times PL Team of the year to what? 2 or 3? Count how many Ballon d'Or nominations/votes either got over the years.

It wasn't even close. Scholes had exceptional passing ability, but that was it. He was utterly disastrous in defense, didn't score much, didn't drive his team much, and was nowhere near a leader Stevie was. Scholes, in ordinary teams would've been a good player, nothing more. Gerrard lifted our ordinary sides to levels higher for years and years, won games against way superior oppositions on his own, time & again.

Considering all that, Scholes is a myth.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:00:12 PM by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Jon2lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #686 on: May 1, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
Xavi was better than Pirlo. Not by a lot though.

Gerrard was better than Scholes. And it wasn't even close. Arrogant Manc heads talk about League titles, but look at the disparity in individual accolades. 8 Times PL Team of the year to what? 2 or 3? Count how many Ballon d'Or nominations/votes either got over the years.

It wasn't even close. Scholes had exceptional passing ability, but that was it. He was utterly disastrous in defense, didn't score much, didn't drive his team much, and was nowhere near a leader Stevie was. Scholes, in ordinary teams would've been a good player, nothing more. Gerrard lifted our ordinary sides to levels higher for years and years, won games against way superior oppositions on his own, time & again.

Considering all that, Scholes is a myth.
I broadly agree with that.

And would add that:

Even Iniesta is arguably greater than Pirlo.

It's interesting that many people can suggest players that were/are like Scholes.
But fewer can suggest players that were/are like Stevie.
That is telling in itself.

Plus, Scholes "bottled" it as manager of Oldham, whilst Stevie is still going strong at Rangers :D

Offline Jon2lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #687 on: May 1, 2019, 01:15:57 PM »
And if anyone can be accused of having the same haircut throughout their entire career, it's Scholes!
And not Stevie!
Hahahaha

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity
  • Believer
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #688 on: June 6, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »
Following the unnecessary shit stirring by Melissa Reddy recently when we should all have been heady basking in our return to European glory, some have suggested Steven Gerrard could step in as manager when Klopp decides to take time off.

For some reason, perhaps an impression I got from reading Gerrard's autobiography, I have not been convinced that he can be an elite manager for Liverpool. Correct me if I am wrong, but has anyone seen anything in his Rangers team to see a great manager there, who can lead Liverpool Football Club to more glory?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #689 on: June 6, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
Following the unnecessary shit stirring by Melissa Reddy recently when we should all have been heady basking in our return to European glory, some have suggested Steven Gerrard could step in as manager when Klopp decides to take time off.

For some reason, perhaps an impression I got from reading Gerrard's autobiography, I have not been convinced that he can be an elite manager for Liverpool. Correct me if I am wrong, but has anyone seen anything in his Rangers team to see a great manager there, who can lead Liverpool Football Club to more glory?

Not at the Klopp level. But he's at least being sensible in the job at Rangers (read: old school) in building a defence first. I haven't seen anything from the Rangers attack, though, to say that he has any real attacking "philosophy", though. Having said that, defensive-counterattack is never usually a bad way to play.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline tubby

• Not on my watch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #690 on: June 6, 2019, 04:14:03 PM »
Way too early to judge Gerrard as a manager but he hasn't embarrassed himself so far.  I'd want to see him 1) succeed with Rangers and 2) follow it up more success at another club before considering him for Liverpool.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online red_Mark1980

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • J.F.T.96
« Reply #691 on: June 6, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
Only just watched the Documentary, he absolutely wants the top job one day

Offline lamonti

• Believer
« Reply #692 on: Today at 08:38:18 AM »
Can't believe the amount of people who want him to manage us after Klopp. The mind boggles.
@montigol

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #693 on: Today at 08:42:18 AM »
Can't believe the amount of people who want him to manage us after Klopp. The mind boggles.

Klopp could be here for another 5-10 years and in that time Gerrard may have excelled in a non farmers league and actually be offered the job on merit.