Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 691137 times)

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Sadio Mané
« Reply #7120 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:40 PM »
It's such a laugh the way they are all nicking The Cube's celebration, has he commented yet?  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #7121 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »
Shining light in the front 3 at the moment, the only one constantly trying to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline tornado

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7122 on: February 11, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
Shining light in the front 3 at the moment, the only one constantly trying to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.
Of the front 3, he is definitely the shining light at the moment buy the others have been trying hard to influence games too, atleast by the evidence of the Bournemouth game.

Offline hesbighesred

• But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #7123 on: February 11, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
It's nice to see Mane getting some time in the limelight again. He can get overshadowed sometimes, his hard work obscured by Bobby's relentless effort, his exceptional running, dribbling and shooting obscured by Salah's exquisite ruthlessness. Yet the combination of both work and wonder he provides puts him up there with the very best, and his selflessness in carrying out his manager's tactical requirements is an example to everyone.

But what really sets him apart is something that very few players - very few people - have. I remember Roald Dahl putting it beautifully in his story "the Swan":

"Some people, when they have taken too much and have been driven beyond the point of endurance, simply crumple and give up. There are others, though they are not many, who will for some reason always be unconquerable. You meet them in time of war and also in time of peace. They have an indomitable spirit and nothing, neither pain nor torture nor threat of death, will cause them to give up.
[Sadio Mane is] one of those."

The Champion's League final showed this indomitable spirit at its finest. With Salah off, at a goal down, with a lot of heads down - one head went up, stayed up and even went further up the worse the match got. That head, of course, belonged to Sadio Mane. He may not seem to have the most dominant personality, but, as Dahl makes clear, that isn't what determines the indomitable. It's something else, something deep inside that only comes out at the worst of times. And it's value at times like that is impossible to measure, but be thankful that we have it in our team, in a forward as talented as Sadio is. And it's a quality that I suspect we'll see a few more times in the pressure cooker environment of this title race. 

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #7124 on: February 11, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
I've always had a (usually grudging) admiration for players who keep on delivering vital goals whilst so much is at stake and, for whatever reason, their team aren't quite functioning at 100%.

Cantona did it in 96/97. Ljungberg did it with probably the most important goal scoring run of them all at the end of the 01/02 season. Vardy did it in 15/16 and Costa did it a year later in 16/17. Opening goals, equalisers, winners - all crucial goals that kept their team ticking over during spells when they really needed it. If we do end up winning the league this year we'll owe a massive debt of gratitude to this purple patch of Sadios. 

Offline Raid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7125 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
I've always had a (usually grudging) admiration for players who keep on delivering vital goals whilst so much is at stake and, for whatever reason, their team aren't quite functioning at 100%.

Cantona did it in 96/97. Ljungberg did it with probably the most important goal scoring run of them all at the end of the 01/02 season. Vardy did it in 15/16 and Costa did it a year later in 16/17. Opening goals, equalisers, winners - all crucial goals that kept their team ticking over during spells when they really needed it. If we do end up winning the league this year we'll owe a massive debt of gratitude to this purple patch of Sadios.

Our very own Dirk Kuyt used to have a knack of popping up when it mattered. Mane does seem to save his goals for when we need him most though, very rarely lets us down

Offline na fir dearg

• Kopite
  • "I'm de gaffur..."
« Reply #7126 on: February 11, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »
It's nice to see Mane getting some time in the limelight again. He can get overshadowed sometimes, his hard work obscured by Bobby's relentless effort, his exceptional running, dribbling and shooting obscured by Salah's exquisite ruthlessness. Yet the combination of both work and wonder he provides puts him up there with the very best, and his selflessness in carrying out his manager's tactical requirements is an example to everyone.

But what really sets him apart is something that very few players - very few people - have. I remember Roald Dahl putting it beautifully in his story "the Swan":

"Some people, when they have taken too much and have been driven beyond the point of endurance, simply crumple and give up. There are others, though they are not many, who will for some reason always be unconquerable. You meet them in time of war and also in time of peace. They have an indomitable spirit and nothing, neither pain nor torture nor threat of death, will cause them to give up.

The Champion's League final showed this indomitable spirit at its finest. With Salah off, at a goal down, with a lot of heads down - one head went up, stayed up and even went further up the worse the match got. That head, of course, belonged to Sadio Mane. He may not seem to have the most dominant personality, but, as Dahl makes clear, that isn't what determines the indomitable. It's something else, something deep inside that only comes out at the worst of times. And it's value at times like that is impossible to measure, but be thankful that we have it in our team, in a forward as talented as Sadio is. And it's a quality that I suspect we'll see a few more times in the pressure cooker environment of this title race.

he really is up for the fight at the moment, brilliant

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7127 on: February 11, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »

That's nicely put mate.

I agree with it completely. Mane is a special character. When the pressure is on he will come to the fore. We've seen it so many times now. The ball control remains iffy, but you can't have everything!

His moments of the season last season were nearly all at the business end. The final obviously when he was the best attacker on the pitch, but the second leg v City as well when he powered between those two defenders, giving them 2 yards start in a foot race that was 5 yards at most, and beat 'em both to set up Mo's opening goal. That was a player saturated in self belief.

He will be vital for us over the next few weeks.And I'll say again what I said on the eve of the final. There ain't a defender in the world who isn't at least slightly frightened of marking Sadio Mane.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7128 on: February 11, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
Joint 5th goal scorer in the league, only two behind Kane.

He’s not providing as many assists. Only one in the league according to transfermarkt.

Superb player, who never gives up and never lets one bad miss or game affect him. He’s,going to be important in the run-in.

“We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.“ Zlen, 30/12/18

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #7129 on: February 11, 2019, 08:39:57 PM »
Before he joined I thought he basically turned up when he wanted for Southampton and would go months on end not looking bothered. What a tit.

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #7130 on: February 11, 2019, 08:42:23 PM »
Before he joined I thought he basically turned up when he wanted for Southampton and would go months on end not looking bothered. What a tit.

A bit harsh to call him a tit. He's done well for us.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Mr_Shane

• Believer
« Reply #7131 on: February 11, 2019, 09:54:50 PM »

Don't see this noawadays.

I see him all over the place... defending, pressing, tracking back, preventing corners etc

Offline Ratboy3G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7132 on: February 11, 2019, 11:32:03 PM »

Don't be so tough on yourself mate
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7133 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:05 PM »
to be fair he did go on long runs without scoring, then again better teammates and all that

Offline Jon2lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7134 on: February 12, 2019, 12:08:30 AM »
According to online reports, he's due to marry his Tunisian fiancee in Sousse on 5th January. Possibly means he's been given permission to miss the FA Cup game? Otherwise seems odd timing. Plus who even knew he had a fiancee, he keeps so quiet!
He comes across as a very humble person, which I think is a breath of fresh air.
I'm all for our players doing their talking on the pitch.

Just remembered! There was that mobile phone footage of him cleaning the toilets (toilets!) of his local mosque!
Which celebrity or famous sports person would clean a public toilet on their days off?!

Love the guy. A good role model for the kids me thinks.

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #7135 on: February 12, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »
He comes across as a very humble person, which I think is a breath of fresh air.
I'm all for our players doing their talking on the pitch.

Just remembered! There was that mobile phone footage of him cleaning the toilets (toilets!) of his local mosque!
Which celebrity or famous sports person would clean a public toilet on their days off?!

Love the guy. A good role model for the kids me thinks.

Doesn't Trent help out at a local charity shop, which he's been doing since before he broke into the team?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jon2lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7136 on: February 12, 2019, 12:45:06 AM »
Doesn't Trent help out at a local charity shop, which he's been doing since before he broke into the team?
Good on Trent! I didn't know this.

But this is the Sadio thread that I was reading through, so I wouldn't have thought of Trent.
Also a lot of people have worked for charities, as I have myself, but I reckon very few have cleaned public toilets - I certainly haven't!
That sort of cleaning is a sign of humbleness, which backed up my original point.