Author Topic: Anyone remember 1960 European Cup Final (Real v Eintracht Frankfurt) in Glasgow?  (Read 270 times)

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
Here's a random one. In Munich in 2018 we met a group of Eintracht Frankfurt fans. We were there because we were playing, they were passing through on their way to a Europa League match vs Inter Milan. They're a great group and we've become friends. One of them has asked for help finding connections to people who might have been to either the semi final or the final of the 1960 European Cup. They have a project going on, and already have interviews with people who were there from a Frankfurt side, but they want some neutrals who might have been there, or some Rangers fans who might have been to the semi final, or people who were involved in football around about that time who have any insight? Even if you remember watching the match somehow at the time? TV? Listening on the radio?

Frankfurt beat Rangers to reach the final, which was then played at Hampden Park. It's still the highest scoring European Cup Final of all time with Madrid winning 7-3.

Anyone know of anyone? Any connections that might be helpful?

It's a long shot, I know, but I said I'd ask around.  :wave

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2020, 10:09:04 AM by Rhi »
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Let’s have a dig...

That Rangers side the season before featured Willie Stevenson but Jim Baxter took his place in the side. I remember my uncle and my Dad talking about that when I was wee, Rhi. :)

Famous final though - Puskás and Di Stefano and all that.

Arguably the best side of all time that Real Madrid team.
Thoroughly mediocre player.

Regrettably not seen anything in him. Neither for us nor from watching lots of youtube videos after a few on here said he looked good.

Online Iska

• Believer
  • The only club that matters
Pretty sure my grandad was at both of the Glasgow games but he’s long gone I’m afraid.

I imagine they’ve already thought of this but Alex Ferguson has often talked about attending the final and I imagine he’d’ve been at the semi as well.  I reckon it might be worth trying to approach him, it’s the sort of project he might take an interest in.  Especially if they’re asking about the semi, it’s a pretty significant game in Rangers’ history, they took an absolute pasting but it doesn’t get talked about much.

Edit: I’ve just thought of someone who might be able to help, let me do a bit of digging.

Edit 2: Sorry Rhi, my source is just slightly too young to help - remembers their run to the 1961 CWC final, and been going to the European games since 1962, but no memory of their skelping in 1960.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2020, 03:15:38 PM by Iska »

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
No joy Rhi :(
Thoroughly mediocre player.

Regrettably not seen anything in him. Neither for us nor from watching lots of youtube videos after a few on here said he looked good.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
Ahh, thanks for trying, both. Much appreciated!

I'll tell them to try SAF - that's a good shout actually. Would be a hell of a coup if they could pull it off!
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly