Author Topic: Iago Aspas  (Read 55380 times)

Offline blacksun

• Believer
Re: Iago Aspas
« Reply #320 on: April 9, 2019, 06:21:57 AM »
From what we all saw of him in a reds shirt, I think it's more than fair to predict he wouldn't have succeeded in a post Suarez LFC team.

That being said, it's clear he's gone back to La Liga and became one of Spain's best strikers of recent years, and I'm really happy for him. There's a snobbish attitude that clouds people's perspectives of a player when they fail in the prem, but do well abroad. Quite simply they play to his strengths, and asides from being good in front of goal his all round play is excellent. He definitely has the quality to succeed in this league, but we'll likely never see it given his age.

Thing is I don't think he did fail in the PL, he barely got a chance,had he got a run of games and the other players had got used to his strengths I think he'd have been more productive than the strikers we had that season.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Thing is I don't think he did fail in the PL, he barely got a chance,had he got a run of games and the other players had got used to his strengths I think he'd have been more productive than the strikers we had that season.

I agree, would have been better giving him a chance then using Lambert,Balotteli and Borini that season when Sturridge was injured.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Believer
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
Unfairly maligned here for that corner, barely given a chance afterwards. I agree with people that said that we could've used him instead of Balotelli/Lambert/Borini (jeez.) but I also think he wanted to go back home, he wasn't 100% comfortable here.

So, in a way, I'm glad he's back home and being such an important part of the club he loves. I mean, isn't he pretty much living the supporter's dream? Playing for them and becoming a legend. Giving your all of the team you support, and the supporters loving you back for representing everything they dream of doing if given the chance.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Believer
  • BoRac
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
Scored another two last night, saved Celta from relegation, and finished the season as La Liga's fourth goalscorer, despite missing two months of the season through injury. Scored 20 goals from 27 appearances, way fewer than Messi, but just one fewer than Benzema and Suarez, and five more than Griezmann (all of whom played a lot more). It's his third top-four finish in a row.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #324 on: May 24, 2019, 02:13:47 PM »
The 'My Height Might Be 5-Foot-5 But Inside I'm 6-Foot-5' Award

This one was very nearly a tie. Two diminutive guys, bursting with so much talent and character that you'd imagine they've been given theirs and someone else's as well: Santi Cazorla and Iago Aspas.

Aspas is a magician. It's that simple. He carried Celta Vigo on his back, scored at a higher goal-per-game rate than ever before in his career at a time when the majority of his teammates played like competition winners. "What are those three conjoined metal poles with a fishing net draped around them?" Celta's defenders and other attackers seemed to be asking each other for most of the season. They redefined clueless.

Those of us who consistently adjusted our TV sets for parts of the season because it looked as if Celta were playing on pause or delay when the opposition were ruling around at double speed eventually accepted it was just that the boys from Balaidos were actually conducting a scientific experiment to see how closely they could flirt with gutless relegation and still have Aspas rescue them.

He is not only a wriggling, inventive, anarchic, heroic, lion-hearted imp, he's utterly brilliant value to watch whether you feel anything for Celta or not. And like some Galician papa bear cuffing his idiot cubs into line while simultaneously scaring off predators, he ensured that there was vigor, instead of rigor mortis at Celta these past couple of months...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/spanish-primera-division/15/blog/post/3858495/la-ligas-alternative-awards-recognising-spains-best-of-the-rest

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Believer
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #325 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
Iago Aspas almost single-handedly saving Celta de Vigo from relegation, scoring 20 goals (only 1 less than Suárez and Benzema) and being part of La Liga's Ideal 11... despite being injured for months.

What a guy. I'm glad he's having some sort of success and recognition, because he deserves it. I'm pretty sure he's already a legend for the Celta supporters.