Author Topic: Penalties from the half way line, kick-ins and other madness experimented.  (Read 7825 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Had a flashback last night to some of the mad and crazy things FIFA have tried to experiment with in pre-season friendlies over the years (whilst, obviously, never bothering to experiment with video technology).

Remember kick-ins in one friendly in place of throw ins, and have a distinct memory of players being given the ball on the half way line to run with at the keeper in place of the traditional penalty shoot-out in one friendly tournament (I distinctly remember us taking part in that one, but I may have hallucinated the whole thing).

Just wondering if anyone has any other memories of any other such experiments in pre-season games, and thoughts on whether they'd actually improve the game?

(Also if anyone has footage of any of these events taking place so I can prove to myself I haven't made these up it'd be great...)

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
Had a flashback last night to some of the mad and crazy things FIFA have tried to experiment with in pre-season friendlies over the years (whilst, obviously, never bothering to experiment with video technology).

Remember kick-ins in one friendly in place of throw ins, and have a distinct memory of players being given the ball on the half way line to run with at the keeper in place of the traditional penalty shoot-out in one friendly tournament (I distinctly remember us taking part in that one, but I may have hallucinated the whole thing).

Just wondering if anyone has any other memories of any other such experiments in pre-season games, and thoughts on whether they'd actually improve the game?

(Also if anyone has footage of any of these events taking place so I can prove to myself I haven't made these up it'd be great...)

I too may be crazy, but i remember one occasion when Robbie Keane played for Inter Milan they won a peno in the dying minutes of a game and took it in the way you describe, ran from the half way line. As he went round the keeper he as brought down and promptly recieved another peno. which he scored. Not even sure they've ever implemented this in Serie A, but I was quite young at the time so it may have been pre-season for all I know. Can anyone confirm this?

Offline Craigeth

• Legacy Fan
  • Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss YNWA
I seem to remember a hockey style penalty being implemented in a friendly aswell. Strange idea imagine a penalty shootout after extra time everybody would be shattered and then having to take one of those type penalties.

Offline Buzby

• Main Stander
During the 80's the NASL in America adopted some pretty weird rules, in an attempt to make "soccer" more appealing to people there.

One of them was penalties taken to avoid having draws, where the player started on the 35 yard line (which they also invented!). Some footage seems to exist of this, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEnwi7otu0

The 35 yard line was used as an addition to the offside rule, and I think the league also awarded points for goals scored. Not suprisingly FIFA wasn't too happy about any of this!
"If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them." - K. Dalglish

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6˝
  • Legacy Fan
hah the nasl, where beckenbauer and pele played in the same team.
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
Not a FIFA experiment as such but in Brazil, the referee carries around a can of vanishing spray paint and every time a direct FK from a shooting position is awarded, he marches off 10 yards and "paints" a line behind which the defenders are to stand.  The paint evaporates or vanishes after something like 30 seconds or a minute and it ensures the wall is far enough away when the kick is taken.

Tim Vickery is a fan, and I have to say I am too.
Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
Not a FIFA experiment as such but in Brazil, the referee carries around a can of vanishing spray paint and every time a direct FK from a shooting position is awarded, he marches off 10 yards and "paints" a line behind which the defenders are to stand.  The paint evaporates or vanishes after something like 30 seconds or a minute and it ensures the wall is far enough away when the kick is taken.

Remember thinking at the time that was a good idea.

As for the pens from the halfway line, I remember they still used to do them for a while after launching the MLS. I remember watching when Channel 5 1st arrived and being fascinated by the stupidity of having to turn draws into victories in attempt to appeal to the US audience.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
wasnt there one for the ref moving the free 10 yards forward for dissent?

was even in a championship manager (Stephane henchoz is one moaning bastard)

i think in a few years we could say it about the 4th and 5th officials at europa league games , they look a bit nuts
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan

That was common(ish) in the PL for a year.

I remember Dermot Gallagher often picking the ball up and poncing forward indignantly if anyone argued with him.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n

American style? I think they do that in the Major League

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: Penalties from the half way line, kick-ins and other madness experimented.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »
I seem to remember a hockey style penalty being implemented in a friendly aswell. Strange idea imagine a penalty shootout after extra time everybody would be shattered and then having to take one of those type penalties.
That penalty was first used in the Original American league. Thought it looked pretty good to be fair.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »

This was used in the Copa America last summer.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »

What the fuck ever happened to that? I know it never had any positive effect, but I don't recall hearing the rule had been dropped.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:56:13 pm »
What the fuck ever happened to that? I know it never had any positive effect, but I don't recall hearing the rule had been dropped.
That was common(ish) in the PL for a year.

I remember Dermot Gallagher often picking the ball up and poncing forward indignantly if anyone argued with him.
should have been brought to light again with the "respect campaign"
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 01:58:40 pm »
Yeh didnt anyone play american pens when younger? Half way line, 30 seconds to beat the keeper....
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »
This was used in the Copa America last summer.
The MLS uses it now. The refs carry what looks like talc or some powder and squirt it out of a little balloon type thingy.(more like an old style bicycle horn) they keep on their waist. It works really well.