Author Topic: Space exploration thread  (Read 178101 times)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Believer
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1800 on: September 5, 2016, 11:38:21 PM »
Its always the last place you left it :D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Now Shevchenko cant sleep cos Carra's in town.
« Reply #1801 on: September 6, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »
That large picture of the comet is beautiful

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Believer
« Reply #1802 on: September 6, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
Its always the last place you left it :D

Has it got my remote as well?

Online Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice.
« Reply #1803 on: September 30, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
Rosetta crashes into the space duck tonight at around 10pm. Livestream for the day, final approach begins at about 8pm, here: http://livestream.com/ESA/rosettagrandfinale
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Andy ⁎ Allerton

• Yarp. Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1804 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »
Rosetta crashes into the space duck tonight at around 10pm. Livestream for the day, final approach begins at about 8pm, here: http://livestream.com/ESA/rosettagrandfinale

Yeah exciting stuff. Do you think they'll be able to get the hoped-for glimpses into the craters and work out what those 'building blocks' are?
Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors FC superfan since 8th May 2020

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Believer
  • Trada
« Reply #1805 on: September 30, 2016, 10:40:47 AM »
Comet from 16 km

Comet from 5.8 km – narrow-angle camera

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:44:05 AM by Trada »
“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.”

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

Online Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice.
« Reply #1806 on: September 30, 2016, 11:19:58 AM »
Yeah exciting stuff. Do you think they'll be able to get the hoped-for glimpses into the craters and work out what those 'building blocks' are?

Judging by my attempt to give times as this, I'm as liable to say 'seeing a couple of Giger-style aliens in those eggs' as add anything meaningful :D

Hopefully it'll give them the images and measurements they want to get by doing this. Listening to one of the ESA guys now, he's saying that the big thing to get is the measurements from within 2km of the comet and figure out what's going on there.

JPL stream with commentary (not sure if ESA is still just showing silent scenes):

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Believer
  • Trada
« Reply #1807 on: September 30, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
I wonder if it will survive the crash seeing its hitting it at walking pace.

I asked them on Facebook and got my answer.

ESA - European Space Agency No
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:59:43 AM by Trada »
“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.”

Online Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice.
« Reply #1808 on: September 30, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
Wonder when anyone will know what happened to it after it hit. A long time in the future I suspect.

Going to be fun to follow what they come up with from the data, especially on the questions around the origins of life.

Offline Andy ⁎ Allerton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1809 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
Wonder when anyone will know what happened to it after it hit. A long time in the future I suspect.

Going to be fun to follow what they come up with from the data, especially on the questions around the origins of life.

Its been on live now - they got photos from 10 and 5 metres away before it hit!

They are still processing them now.

Offline Andy ⁎ Allerton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1810 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »
Judging by my attempt to give times as this, I'm as liable to say 'seeing a couple of Giger-style aliens in those eggs' as add anything meaningful :D

Hopefully it'll give them the images and measurements they want to get by doing this. Listening to one of the ESA guys now, he's saying that the big thing to get is the measurements from within 2km of the comet and figure out what's going on there.

JPL stream with commentary (not sure if ESA is still just showing silent scenes):

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Cheers mate - just seen this - appreciated :)

I thought it was happening at 22:00 to be honest :(

Ah well. Saw some of it..

Offline Andy ⁎ Allerton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1811 on: September 30, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »

Mosaic of landing images

Offline Trada

• Believer
  • Trada
« Reply #1812 on: September 30, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »
The last picture it took 51m above the ground.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1813 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:17 PM »
How long before folk start spotting faces. There's definitely a couple of noses on that last one.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline Andy ⁎ Allerton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1814 on: September 30, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
How long before folk start spotting faces. There's definitely a couple of noses on that last one.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #1815 on: September 30, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
I wonder if it will survive the crash seeing its hitting it at walking pace.

I asked them on Facebook and got my answer.

ESA - European Space Agency No

There was code written into the mission software which would initiate after Rosetta felt the impact and begin a complete shutdown sequence.

Offline Trada

• Believer
  • Trada
« Reply #1816 on: September 30, 2016, 04:20:20 PM »
There was code written into the mission software which would initiate after Rosetta felt the impact and begin a complete shutdown sequence.

Shame they did that, I guess there was a reason it would have been interesting to see if it transmitted a bit of data after the impact like if it bounced.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #1817 on: September 30, 2016, 04:25:46 PM »
Shame they did that, I guess there was a reason it would have been interesting to see if it transmitted a bit of data after the impact like if it bounced.

I'm a science enthusiast at very best, but my guess would be that there would be no guarantee of the efficacy of the systems once it had hit the surface and therefore no guarantee of the quality or accuracy of the data it produced, so was better to have 100% of the information 3m before impact than risk losing any of that data on impact to take a chance on getting some extra information post-impact (which they will have likely already gleaned from Philae's hit a couple of years ago).

Feel quite sad it's all over. A huge high point for European space exploration.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Believer
« Reply #1818 on: September 30, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
Read this on another forum:

"One of the technicians explained on Radio 4 this morning why they have to shut Rosetta down just before it touches down -

the mission has ended so it is one of the rules of robotic probe space exploration that the transmitters be shut down once there is no more data to transmit. This is because the band of frequencies used by probes is very narrow and they don't want to clog up the airwaves and compromise the effectiveness of future missions

the mission will end automatically once they touch down because it is highly likely that, once Rosetta settles on the surface, it will sit at an angle that will stop its high gain antenna from pointing at the earth - which means that it could not communicate with earth.
This is why they have to send a signal to shut it down before it lands otherwise they will lose contact and miss the opportunity to send the "shut down" signal."

Online Tepid T₂O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1819 on: September 30, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »
What an incredible mission, simply incredible.

I don't think the general public have quite understood how difficult this was.

It's such an exciting time in space travel though, it looks as though plans for a manned mission to mars (to orbit it at least) will actually happen.  I had always assumed it was a pipe dream, but it seems to be genuinely achievable now..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

With courage, nothing is impossible.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1820 on: September 30, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »
What an incredible mission, simply incredible.

I don't think the general public have quite understood how difficult this was.

It's such an exciting time in space travel though, it looks as though plans for a manned mission to mars (to orbit it at least) will actually happen.  I had always assumed it was a pipe dream, but it seems to be genuinely achievable now..
And the people involved in this endeavour will go largely unrecognised, whilst the average soap opera actor would expect to notch up award after award.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline mallin9

• Believer
« Reply #1821 on: September 30, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »
very exciting times for space geodesy
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot
  • Believer
« Reply #1822 on: October 4, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
http://www.iflscience.com/space/mystery-of-the-megastructure-star-deepens/

Our galaxy’s weirdest star, KIC 8462852, is even weirder than previously thought, showing changes never observed before in a star like this.

To quickly recap, last year it was announced that the object experienced dramatic and rapid changes in brightness, which led to the wild speculation that the object was surrounded by an alien megastructure. New observations have shown that there are no aliens around it but the mystery has deepened further still, as historical data suggests that the star has inexplicably dimmed by 14 percent in just over a century.

Researchers Josh Simon and Ben Montet, using observations by NASA’s Kepler space telescope, discovered that KIC 8462852 faded slowly and then suddenly during the four years it was studied.

“Our highly accurate measurements over four years demonstrate that the star really is getting fainter with time,” said Montet, from Caltech, in a statement. "It is unprecedented for this type of star to slowly fade for years, and we don’t see anything else like it in the Kepler data.”

A pre-print of the research was released in August, and is now published in the Astrophysical Journal. In it, the scientists compared KIC 8462852 to 500 similar stars also observed by Kepler. Although they saw a small fraction getting fainter with time, none had dimming episodes as intense.

KIC 8462852, which is also known as Tabby’s star, faded about 1 percent in the first three years of the study, before suddenly dropping another 2 percent more. It then remained stable for the final six months.

“This star was already completely unique because of its sporadic dimming episodes. But now we see that it has other features that are just as strange, both slowly dimming for almost three years and then suddenly getting fainter much more rapidly,” Simon, from the Carnegie Institute of Science, continued.

The six months of dimming in 2012 could be explained by the breakup of a planet or comets, but the apparent long term fading must be something else. And we still don’t know what caused a dramatic change in brightness reported last year.

“It’s a big challenge to come up with a good explanation for a star doing three different things that have never been seen before,” Montet added. “But these observations will provide an important clue to solving the mystery of KIC 8462852.”
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline WillG.LFC

• Believer
« Reply #1823 on: October 5, 2016, 11:09:16 AM »
Still think it will be something between us and the star blocking the light rather than something close to the star itself

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1824 on: October 5, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
Will we ever know in our lifetime?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1825 on: October 5, 2016, 02:00:14 PM »
I always wonder with Kepler how accurate some of the data might be after it lost two of its four reaction wheels (kind of like gyroscopes).
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Believer
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1826 on: October 5, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »
Still think it will be something between us and the star blocking the light rather than something close to the star itself

think you're wrong

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Believer
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1827 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:51 AM »
I find this report on SpaceX very entertaining. Without passing my own bias, here it is:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/30/13114704/spacex-elon-musk-vs-mars-one-nasa-mission-timeline
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #1828 on: October 11, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »

:'(
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• Believer
« Reply #1829 on: October 16, 2016, 08:44:11 PM »
That's where we need to start looking for life. Why that has taken so long, I have no clue. It's been proposed so many times...
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161014-there-is-a-way-to-find-fossils-of-martian-life

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Believer
« Reply #1830 on: October 19, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:00:33 PM by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #1831 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:13 AM »
Doesn't look like the lander made it.  Based on the telemetry I'd guess the landing thrusters cut out too soon or failed altogether.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Berry

• Believer
« Reply #1832 on: October 21, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
More evidence to support the existence of Planet Nine: a six degree tilt in the ecliptic plane, relative to the Sun.

Astronomers presented new research on the possibility of a gigantic, unseen planet beyond Neptune on Wednesday, saying the hypothetical world may have set the solar system at a tilt.

Researchers first suggested a massive ninth planet in January, saying that although this putative world would be about 10 times the size of Earth, it could have escaped a telescope’s notice because of its extreme distance from the sun. One year on this planet, according to their calculations, would last 17,000 years on Earth, and it would travel as far away as 93bn miles from the sun, where it would take light a week to arrive.

On Wednesday, astronomers at the California Institute of Technology presented their new evidence in Pasadena, California, at the annual meeting of planetary scientists of the American Astronomical Society.

“The search for planet nine,” Caltech astronomer Mike Brown said, “is as much about understanding the effects of planet nine on the solar system, the physics of planet nine, as it is about understanding where it is.”

Brown said that his team had calculated how a hypothetical planet could be responsible for making the sun appear to tilt at an angle. Though the eight planets orbit in an essentially flat plane around the sun, the plane itself rotates at nearly a six-degree angle, making it look like the sun itself is angled. A giant planet with a strange orbit, about 30 degrees off the other planets’ plane, could account for that wobble, the scientists suggested.

“Because Planet Nine is so massive and has an orbit tilted compared to the other planets,” said Elizabeth Bailey, the study’s author, “the solar system has no choice but to slowly twist out of alignment.

“It’s such a deep-rooted mystery and so difficult to explain that people just don’t talk about it,” said Brown. “If you ask yourself where the sun is tilted in real life there’s where we predict it should be,” he added, noting that the calculations of mass and orbital angle had results of six degrees.

“The amazing thing is for these very standard [observations],” Brown said, “it tilts it nearly exactly correctly.

“At this stage we have so many lines of evidence that there’s a massive planet out there,” he added, “that if there’s not a massive planet out there it has to be that there was one there yesterday and disappeared.”

Brown suggested that scientists may be able to locate the planet, if it exists, in the next few years, and that his team’s work would be published in an upcoming issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/19/planet-nine-solar-system-tilt-astronomers

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• Believer
« Reply #1833 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:22 AM »
Mars is a Bitch (with a capital "B")...  :(

Evidence of the crashed lander
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37788444

Online Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice.
« Reply #1834 on: October 28, 2016, 03:17:06 AM »
Mars is a Bitch (with a capital "B")...  :(

Evidence of the crashed lander
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37788444

Puts NASA/JPL's success into perspective. Hopefully further funding will continue for ExoMars - it's like £1 a person across the EU to finish funding it, I'd like to think we'd be willing to crowdfund it in the old fashioned way.

Offline farawayred

• Believer
« Reply #1835 on: October 28, 2016, 06:11:25 AM »
Puts NASA/JPL's success into perspective. Hopefully further funding will continue for ExoMars - it's like £1 a person across the EU to finish funding it, I'd like to think we'd be willing to crowdfund it in the old fashioned way.
Maybe NASA and ESA should try to work more closely together; how many times have the Russians landed on Mars?

By the way, the next NASA/ESA Mars mission, InSight, will most likely succeed. It supposed to launch last March, but a vacuum issue in the seismometer postponed the mission. The window opens on May 5, 2018.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Suarez Is Not A Racist!
  • Believer
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #1836 on: October 28, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
Why such interest in Mars when its totally devoid of water apart from frozen caps and it has no oxygen?

edit: sorry, I aim this question at spacex and the mission to have people living there!

Offline farawayred

• Believer
« Reply #1837 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Why such interest in Mars when its totally devoid of water apart from frozen caps and it has no oxygen?

edit: sorry, I aim this question at spacex and the mission to have people living there!
Subsurface water had not been excluded. Plus, making oxygen seems reasonably achievable with modern technologies, and it's close to Earth for a journey to take a reasonable time. People dream of terraforming Mars. Going to any other place is inconceivable at this time.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1838 on: October 28, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »
Any more edcuated types know much about the feasibility of reversing the greenhouse effect on Venus before say, the end of the century?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1839 on: October 28, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
Any more edcuated types know much about the feasibility of reversing the greenhouse effect on Venus before say, the end of the century?
I used to think that (and the beginning of a sci-fi novel called Return to Venus where it turns out humans, after causing a runaway greenhouse effect on Earth and Mars somehow being destroyed, find a way to artificially cool Venus to bring it to habitable levels for humanity.  Anyway they find traces of ancient human activity in an old crevice, triggering a massive alarm throughout the planet.  The visitors realise that what had happened on Earth was the same as what we did to Venus millennia ago and now it was too late, the ancient humans booby-trapped the planet in case we ever returned.  Venus self-destructs to stop the plague of humanity spreading further afield for the good of the galaxy.)

Anyway, no.  Though there's some good theories about how it could be terraformed, none are even remotely realistic.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.