Author Topic: Portsmouth's debts almost up to £120M  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
Portsmouth's debts almost up to £120M
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:12:36 pm »
Portsmouth's administrators have revealed the relegated Premier League club's debts are £119m.

A letter published by the administrator reveals the extent of the debt while adding they are owed a total of £14m from Spurs, Inter Milan and Liverpool.

Portsmouth became the first Premier League club to enter administration earlier this year, with debts reported to be between £60-£70m.

However, an updated figure reveals the actual debt to be close to double that.
Money from the transfers of Jermain Defoe to Tottenham, Glen Johnson to Liverpool and Sulley Muntari to Inter Milan is still owed to Portsmouth.

The detailed letter sent to all Portsmouth's known creditors, which can be accessed in full on the administrators' website reveals almost £38m is owed to former owners while more than £9m is due to 15 agents.

606: DEBATE
So now we know it's £120m! In an ordinary business the management would be liable for court proceedings for this sort of negligence
GoodByeAll

Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou has revealed Pini Zahavi, who helped facilitate the separate takeovers of the club by French businessman Alexandre Gaydamak and Ali Al-Faraj, has claimed for £2m while another agent is owed £2.1m for one deal alone.

The full extent of the club's financial situation is revealed with a full list of every company owed money by the stricken south coast side. Debts for as little as £1 are displayed in a comprehensive table.

Andronikou initially predicted the club debt would reach £85m but has since suggested it would be closer to £100m.

The administrator needs at least 75% of the unsecured creditor base to agree to a Company Voluntary Arrangement that would see all of the club's debts settled at a reduced rate over the coming years.

If Andronikou does not manage to win the agreement of that percentage of the creditor base, it is unlikely he will meet his target of getting Portsmouth out of administration in the first week of June.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore told the BBC the club only have themselves to blame for their financial situation.

Money distributed by the Premier League from the sale of television rights overseas is shared evenly between the 20 clubs - unlike domestic revenue - and Scudamore reckons this guaranteed income means there is no excuse for going into administration.

"You cannot possibly link the distribution of our income to Portsmouth's woes," he told BBC 5 live.

"All the money is distributed evenly, so Wigan and Burnley this season will have earned as much international television exposure as Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

"That's an important redistribution mechanism - and that's what stands us out from the other leagues in Europe, particularly the Spanish.

"Back in January I said that if a club enters administration while in the Premier League then it would be down to bad management of the club, and it is.

"You can't actually say it's about the way we redistribute out money that has caused Portsmouth's problems.

"If you start the season knowing you're going to get between £30m and £50m from the Premier League throughout the year it is entirely possible to organise yourself so you don't get into the difficulties that Pompey have got into."

Very interesting this, it just gets worse and worse for Pompey, and makes me wonder what the premier league could have done if they were not just so depserate to save themselves

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Re: Portsmouth's debts almost up to £120M
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »
They were still paying £630,000 a month for Utaka.

Fuck you Redknapp.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:20:48 pm »
Looks like Pompey are well and truly fucked then. there's no way they'll be able to Service that amount of debt with Championship income. Sad state of affairs really..
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:02 pm »
Definitely looks like the FA Cup Final will be one last hurrah for Portsmouth. Sadly, the lessons of Portsmouth and countless other clubs will not be learned.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »
Gotta love how Portsmouth owe us a 1 million quid signing on fee for Begovic - even though he signed for Stoke ;D

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 02:40:58 pm »
Gotta love how Portsmouth owe us a 1 million quid signing on fee for Begovic - even though he signed for Stoke ;D

are you not shitting bricks at what state your club will be left in when Arry and his one good eye and one ball of fat fuck off?

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:46:06 pm »
are you not shitting bricks at what state your club will be left in when Arry and his one good eye and one ball of fat fuck off?

Not really to be honest - Daniel Levy is as shrewd a businessman as you can get. Knows fuck all about football, but runs the club very well financially. There's no way he'd let Harry get carried away.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:58:05 pm »
It would be terrible if they went bust and we got 6 points back :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:59:04 pm »
Isn't the size of our debt more than that?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »
Isn't the size of our debt more than that?

Yes, but our income can support our debt... just

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 03:33:39 pm »
Another club Redknapped.
Justice for the 96!

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:27:11 pm »
That Begovic deal stinks. Looks like 'Rarry Hedknapp' is back to his old tricks. I can see another knock on the door from the police coming.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:29:13 pm »
That Begovic deal stinks. Looks like 'Rarry Hedknapp' is back to his old tricks. I can see another knock on the door from the police coming.

i really dont understand it, there is certainly something very fishy about that deal

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:43 pm »
Harry Redknapp is a disaster waiting to happen to a clubs long term future.

The list is endless to places where he has reaped havoc.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:08:02 pm »
David Bick, fella on SSN now is wearing a Justice badge. Anyone know the link?
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 05:17:17 pm »
Hang on a fucking minute, how do we still owe money to them for Johnson?
I wish that club would just dissolve, it's getting quite tiresome this.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 05:32:48 pm »
Hang on a fucking minute, how do we still owe money to them for Johnson?
I wish that club would just dissolve, it's getting quite tiresome this.

Because contrary to what the sudden wave of experts in football finance on this forum say after the Aquilani deal, A LOT of deals ARE structured with payments over time.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 05:32:53 pm »
Not really to be honest - Daniel Levy is as shrewd a businessman as you can get. Knows fuck all about football, but runs the club very well financially. There's no way he'd let Harry get carried away.

I bet every other club that corrupt c*nt has destroyed thought the same...
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 05:33:47 pm »

Jesus, this is unbelievable.

What happened there?

What the hell was going on in that club?

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 05:35:49 pm »
Don't see Portsmouth surviving this.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »
First off its a disgrace that people have operated a football club in such a disgusting way, they have shafted hundreds of small business' and every tax paying citizen of this country. It is sickening, people should be locked up.

It is equally as sickening that the premier league led by that utter c*nt Scudamore have allowed this to happen, and today claim they have done nothing wrong. Serious regulation of the way football clubs are run in this country needs to be implemented now, West Ham are in a similarly shite state, and you can bet that a few others are too.

Finally this whole sordid affair speaks volumes about football has become in the modern day. A money fuelled binge of greed and the short term hunt for glory. It is really sad that football is now about how much money you spend, and pretty well fuck all else. The soloution if you do not have that money? spend it anyway.

What really worries me is that nobody will learn from this and it will happen again.

I know pompey fans do not deserve it, but to me the only soloution that will make those involved in football stand up and take notice is to expel portsmouth football club from the football league. The only way they will survive will be to right off the debts to the hundreds of small business' they have fucked over, and right off £17m they owe the tax man. Thats money we will be picking up the tab for.

Utterly fucking sickening

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »
Finally this whole sordid affair speaks volumes about football has become in the modern day. A money fuelled binge of greed and the short term hunt for glory. It is really sad that football is now about how much money you spend, and pretty well fuck all else. The soloution if you do not have that money? spend it anyway.
It's not like that everywhere, though. Just look at Germany.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 06:31:18 pm »
It's not like that everywhere, though. Just look at Germany.

Yeah sorry, i was refering more to this country. Germany is an excellent model, or so i think. The Italians have got themselves in a mess before i believe.

The premier league should take a good long hard look at themselves, but sadly thats not going to happen

Offline Lawson

• Main Stander
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:46 pm »
http://www.uhy-uk.com/media/news/PFC%20-%20Report%20to%20creditors%20Adobe%207.pdf

That's the wealth of confusing financial information.

Somehow, brilliantly, they owe The Scout Association £697, Pukka Pies £40... and Qatar Airways the sum total of 20p.

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »
Heard on 5-Live that they were spending 109% of t/o on wages 2008/09 - unsustainable to say the least. Isnt it illegal to run a business like that, dont the execs have a legal responsibility to run the business correctly? Something to do with trading while insolvent, which they clearly were/are.......

Apparently the Spurs/Begovic deal came about when Spurs bought 2 players on dead line day (Kaboul and Begovic) from Pompey. Begovic apprently decides he doesnt want to go but the money has already been paid. So for some reason the £1m fee is never returned and just 'added to the tab' or something like that. Dodgy club - their execs and their accountants have a lot to answer for.
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »
That Begovic deal stinks as does the sheer amount of transfers that have gone on between Spurs and Portsmouth since 'Arry swapped sides....deserves a proper look into it that, not a Premier League style 'Glance over it, No, all is fine' check.

Absolute disgrace that level of debt, so many similar companies (print companies) for example, where they've obviously reached the end of their 'tab' and with alarm bells ringing, they've just gone and ran to another similar company and run up another line of debt with someone else. Sorry to all the Pompey fans but they really deserve to be wound up, someone has to take a massive hit to start trying to burst this stupid financial balloon that too many still seem to think can keep floating within this country.
......and could he play!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 11:39:12 pm »

Yeah bizarre deal. Definitely one from Dirty 'Arry's Del Boy-esque book of tricks

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 10:22:22 am »
They won't go under. Its the little fella that will go under. They were interviewing a builder that was owed £50k. Without that he's fucked, and the £600 will be a fair amount to the Paedo Scout Association. I'm pretty sure Pukka Pies could go without their £40 and no doubt Qatar Airlines aren't losing any sleep regarding 20p.

They will no doubt strike a deal with their creditors for a 10p in the pound payment a la Leeds Utd, Leicester et al.

The PL/FA should just pull the fuckin plug and demote the c*nts to the Zameretto League
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."