Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 241511 times)

Offline dikwad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5400 on: June 23, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
Had a Chuwi Hi 10 for a year now. Paid £115 at the time and it's still flying along on Windows 10  ;D

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Main Stander
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #5401 on: July 8, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
recently purchased a Samsung Tab A T580 10.1 from Amazon, £174.95, blinding bit of kit so far

Online WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker.
  • Believer
« Reply #5402 on: July 10, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
Got our youngest an Amazon HD tablet two years ago,he has used it every day and it hasn't skipped a beat.So anyone looking for a cheap option should really consider one of those.Pretty sure that Amazon have sent out two updates in that time.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Believer
« Reply #5403 on: July 12, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good tablet that can dock to a keyboard and run full version of windows?

I seen someone mentioned the cube i7 but on gearbest.com it states

"The model dispalyed on the tablet PC is internal model, actual product model is Cube i7."

So not even sure what that one looks like.

I only want to use it for checking emails, browsing, sportsmania & youtube really!

Offline 21stCenturySchizoidMan

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • blazed
« Reply #5404 on: July 13, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »
its the Cube i7 book.

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_366651.html

this is the one i have. fantastic value. Fast enough for everything except heavy gaming. Can run photoshop fine.

Gorgeous screen.
Phuk yoo

Offline owens_2k

• Believer
« Reply #5405 on: July 15, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
its the Cube i7 book.

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_366651.html

this is the one i have. fantastic value. Fast enough for everything except heavy gaming. Can run photoshop fine.

Gorgeous screen.

Looks good but sold out! Is it only available on that site?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5406 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
I've got a Lenovo yogabook running Android. Quite good for what I want it to do and it can run Kodi but to be fair I've yet to really test out streaming a game on it.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5407 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
I'm in the market for a new tablet, i keep buying cheap ones for my lad and they just don't last very long.

I bought a Sony Xperia Z tablet 5 years ago now, probably the best £400 I've ever spent, it's not missed a beat down the years and the battery life seems as good now as when it was new. I'm thinking of passing my old one down to my lad so am looking for a new one.

What has happened to the tablet market?  Sony no longer make one,  Google have stopped also, looks like it's just Samsung making decent ones these days. I don't want to buy a Samsung as I've had reliability issues in the past.

Anyone got any advice?

Offline owens_2k

• Believer
« Reply #5408 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
I'm in the market for a new tablet, i keep buying cheap ones for my lad and they just don't last very long.

I bought a Sony Xperia Z tablet 5 years ago now, probably the best £400 I've ever spent, it's not missed a beat down the years and the battery life seems as good now as when it was new. I'm thinking of passing my old one down to my lad so am looking for a new one.

What has happened to the tablet market?  Sony no longer make one,  Google have stopped also, looks like it's just Samsung making decent ones these days. I don't want to buy a Samsung as I've had reliability issues in the past.

Anyone got any advice?
I'm have a surface pro 3 and its brilliant. Can dock it for when my eldest wants to use it as a desktop and do homework, then can pick it up and move about with it when the youngest wants to play games or mess about on paint with it. Its sturdy, and has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • blazed
« Reply #5409 on: February 27, 2018, 05:06:57 AM »
Two new tabs, the Huawei Mediapad M5 and Samsung Galaxy tab S4 were announced last week. If you are looking for android powered tablets, you might want to wait a couple of months till they hit the market. 

Unfortunately, not a lot of OEMs are making android tablets these days. With phones getting bigger and bigger, the case for dedicated tablets is  not as compelling, especially for media consumption.

If you are OK with a windows tablet, you have a lot more options. But most companies making these do not retail in the UK/Europe and you'll have to order online from the likes of gearbest or geekbuying. Teclast, Chuwi and Cube are three decent brands making good Windows 10 tablets. 

Alternatively, the Surface pro 3 & 4 are great options if you do not mind spending a bit of money. They are overkill for basic media consumption and browsing though, so it depends on your usage patterns.
Phuk yoo

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5410 on: February 27, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
Two new tabs, the Huawei Mediapad M5 and Samsung Galaxy tab S4 were announced last week. If you are looking for android powered tablets, you might want to wait a couple of months till they hit the market. 

Unfortunately, not a lot of OEMs are making android tablets these days. With phones getting bigger and bigger, the case for dedicated tablets is  not as compelling, especially for media consumption.

If you are OK with a windows tablet, you have a lot more options. But most companies making these do not retail in the UK/Europe and you'll have to order online from the likes of gearbest or geekbuying. Teclast, Chuwi and Cube are three decent brands making good Windows 10 tablets. 

Alternatively, the Surface pro 3 & 4 are great options if you do not mind spending a bit of money. They are overkill for basic media consumption and browsing though, so it depends on your usage patterns.

I mainly for internet browsing really, bit of streaming, bit of music, bit of gaming, don't really need a keyboard, nothing else. I can't justify paying £800 for a Surface Pro.

I'm pissed off that I missed the Pixel C, it was discontinued in November, looked like a lovely bit of kit and after owning a couple of Nexus phones in the past, I'm sure the quality is top end.

I'm even entertaining the fact of getting a second hand Pixel C on e-bay, I don't mind if it's a few months old and mint condition.

Offline owens_2k

• Believer
« Reply #5411 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
I mainly for internet browsing really, bit of streaming, bit of music, bit of gaming, don't really need a keyboard, nothing else. I can't justify paying £800 for a Surface Pro.

I'm pissed off that I missed the Pixel C, it was discontinued in November, looked like a lovely bit of kit and after owning a couple of Nexus phones in the past, I'm sure the quality is top end.

I'm even entertaining the fact of getting a second hand Pixel C on e-bay, I don't mind if it's a few months old and mint condition.

Get a second hand pro 3 for under £400

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5412 on: February 27, 2018, 11:40:35 AM »
Get a second hand pro 3 for under £400

What can you do on them?  Is it basically a Windows 10 laptop in tablet form?

Can you play half decent games?  The android tablet games are a bit shit.

Offline owens_2k

• Believer
« Reply #5413 on: February 27, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »
What can you do on them?  Is it basically a Windows 10 laptop in tablet form?

Can you play half decent games?  The android tablet games are a bit shit.
It is basically a windows 10 laptop in tablet form yes.

What kind of games? My lad plays minecraft on it no problem. If your more thinking 'app' style games then it probably doesnt match what your looking for. My experience of the windows store is that most of the content is sh*te.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5414 on: February 27, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »
It is basically a windows 10 laptop in tablet form yes.

What kind of games? My lad plays minecraft on it no problem. If your more thinking 'app' style games then it probably doesnt match what your looking for. My experience of the windows store is that most of the content is sh*te.

I'm not a big gamer but it would be nice to have the option to be able to play a half decent PC game on a tablet whilst the wife is watching shite TV.

Taking a good look at these now, thanks for the tip

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #5415 on: March 7, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
Looking for a good quick tablet with a crisp HD screen, not too fussed about the size. Anyone recommend anything? Budget is £150. Looked at the Galaxy A6 but got told it's not a HD screen

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5416 on: April 12, 2018, 04:23:02 PM »
I'm have a surface pro 3 and its brilliant. Can dock it for when my eldest wants to use it as a desktop and do homework, then can pick it up and move about with it when the youngest wants to play games or mess about on paint with it. Its sturdy, and has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

Just ordered a refurbished one from the Argos shop on eBay, new model, took a while to convince myself that £750 is OK to spend on what realistically is just a fancy tablet.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • blazed
« Reply #5417 on: April 13, 2018, 06:20:10 AM »
Just ordered a refurbished one from the Argos shop on eBay, new model, took a while to convince myself that £750 is OK to spend on what realistically is just a fancy tablet.

Rather, its more like a full fledged laptop doubling as a tablet! Can do everything a laptop/notebook can do. Can also function purely as a tab without the keyboard.  Fantastic piece of kit.

I would've recommended the Pro 4 though, because the chipset in the Pro 3 is a little power hungry and runs hot at times.  But the 3 is a good piece of kit as well, apart from the relatively mediocre battery life.
Phuk yoo

Offline Teapot

• Believer
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #5418 on: April 13, 2018, 08:02:56 AM »
+1 for the surface pro! Great piece of kit.  I was given one by work.

At work i have it connected to the surface dock which i have my dual monitors connected to, giving me 3 screens to work with.  Powerful piece of kit!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5419 on: April 13, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »
Canít get over how great is the 12 inch iPad pro. Amazing screen and colours and the battery lasts forever.

Also itís just about perfect for drawing and reading magazines and comics.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • blazed
« Reply #5420 on: April 13, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »
Not great for spreadsheets, PPTs, heavy photo editing and things like SPSS and Stata though...  ;)

Phuk yoo

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5421 on: April 22, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
The screen on the Surface Pro is stunning

Offline owens_2k

• Believer
« Reply #5422 on: April 23, 2018, 12:46:55 PM »
The screen on the Surface Pro is stunning
November last year I paid £500 for the Pro 3 8GB RAM i5 including touch keyboard and dock and I think I overpaid. £750 for the latest model sounds like you got a good price.

Worth investing in a dock if you want to use it as a desktop PC and a tablet/laptop though.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #5423 on: April 23, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
November last year I paid £500 for the Pro 3 8GB RAM i5 including touch keyboard and dock and I think I overpaid. £750 for the latest model sounds like you got a good price.

Worth investing in a dock if you want to use it as a desktop PC and a tablet/laptop though.

Got the 2017 model (i5, 8GB RAM and 256GB hard drive) for £725, Argos shop on E-Bay, it's B-Grade refurbished which is advertised as 'might have more obvious marks or scratches', there's not a bloody mark on it. I'm well chuffed.

Great piece of kit, it's taking a bit of getting used to going from an Andriod to this and I very much doubt that I will ever push it to it's limits.

Edit - I'm sending the Surface Pro back, Argos on e-bay didn't send me a keyboard or pen, fucking gypsies, bit of a dispute going on, I'm not spending more on this and £725 is a stupid amount to spend on just a tablet, ordered an immaculate second hand Google Pixel C for £280.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:04:11 PM by LanceLink!!!!! »