Author Topic: Space exploration thread  (Read 182970 times)

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Hare Krishna
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2480 on: September 15, 2020, 01:29:56 AM »
Fascinating insight Farawayred. I think this is going to redirect a lot of research, if only to prove some unknown processes that could be used in a wider context. Exciting times to be involved in astrobiology though.

Cupid's Arrow, great name for a mission too.

Online Tepid T₂O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2481 on: September 15, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
@farawayred.

Exotic catalysis where I’m at too. It’s a more likely explanation than life (soz all!)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

With courage, nothing is impossible.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Believer
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2482 on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
You just had to spoil the party, Tepid.

Online Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick!
  • Believer
« Reply #2483 on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »
If nothing else it's REALLY important to figure out how this is happening, as either by life or another process it could prove critical in shaping the parameters of what to actually look for.

This whole exercise was part of a testbed for searching for life signatures on Exoplanets hundreds of lightyears away, where deducing life sources will be much more difficult. So whether it is actually life or some sort of exotic process we're not currently aware of, are equally useful.

But of course, even if it turns out that it IS life, how it came to be there would remain an open question.  The surface is sterile; I think nobody will argue that.  But who knows if what we're detecting isn't some form of cross contamination from the earlier phase of space exploration?

Probes have been sent to Venus since the 60s, and it's quite possible that clean room technology was not as stringent as it is today.  Given Venus' thick atmosphere, probes could spend literally hours slowly descending through the clouds on parachutes; it's feasible that microbes potentially survived the initial fiery descent and detached from a probe in the upper atmosphere, gradually pollinating it. Plus, balloons have also been set adrift in the Venusian atmosphere.
Jürgen Klopp does not adapt to English Football.  English Football adapts to Jurgan Klopp.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do, I sit.

PROJECT WAKE UP UK

Popcorn's Art