Author Topic: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!  (Read 3112270 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Believer
My Grandfather was a senior officer in the Royal Artillery. He served in Crete when the Germans attacked. He led his men to the beaches where they were to be evacuated. A launch came from one of the Royal Navy ships to collect him as he was also a training officer and they wanted him off the beach. He initially refused to go because he wanted to stay with his men. He was eventually ordered to evacuate. He left a picture of my uncle and his watch with his men to show that he wouldn`t leave them and promised they would be evacuated. They didn`t get chance and some of them were captured. He lived with the guilt for many years and it upset him greatly - he felt as though he had been tricked

When I was very young I was on holiday in Scotland and went for a walk to a little local village with my Dad and Grandfather. This was essentially in the middle of nowhere. I remember vividly walking down this road. On the other side of the road a man suddenly stopped and saluted bolt upright. My Grandfather suddenly let go of my hand and walked over the road and then started to hug this man (and he wasn`t one for hugging). My Dad and and I walked over the road and my Grandfather had tears in his eyes, again something my Dad have never seen him do. It transpired that the man who had saluted served under him and had been one of the men on the beach. He had told my Grandfather that all his men knew that it wasn`t his fault and that he didn`t have a choice.

One final coincidence about him and the same events was a few years later. My Dad took him to play golf with his best friend and his Dad. They arranged to play a round and then take their father's for a meal afterwards. As men of that era sometimes will, they got around to talking about what they did during the war. It transpired that my Dad's friends father was 2nd in command on the Royal Navy ship that my Grandfather was evacuated to.

(Sorry if I am going on.....but one final story that isn`t a coincidence but makes me smile. Towards the end of the war he was the commanding officer of a Royal Artillery training base. It was to be visited by Churchill and Eisenhower. They got all the field artillery into neat rows ready for the parade/inspection. As Churchill was speaking to him during the inspection, one of the guns started to drop and Churchill said to him "Ah, must be one of the older pieces" and grinned)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
I love to hear those stories of life’s great coincidences and twists of fate. Probably a few to share amongst us auld arses given our time, our experiences and those of our families over our time on this Earth.
Thanks, Keith. Here’s another couple of coincidences.

My French wife had a sister who also had a British partner and was living in Coventry. I asked him about his career and he said he’d done research into Antarctic protozoa at the University of Warwick. This was strange, not because of the unusual job, but because my sister’s husband had done the same thing in the same place. It turned out that one had replaced the other in exactly the same job and they already knew each other!

My grandfather had been a season ticket holder at Anfield for years. When I was nine I discovered my best mate’s dad was also a season ticket holder. They had seats next to each other and his dad had occasionally given my grandad a lift home!

Over to the rest of you…!

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse "Ridiculously cool" -TAW-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #42762 on: May 10, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »
My uncle, Jim Corbett, Irish Guards, was killed very early in WW2.  His wife, my Aunt Ivy, opened a chippy on Walker Street off Bewsey in Warrington just down the road from Burtonwood.  As me Ma and mates worked there, it was soon the fave base chippy.

British wartime sentiment about Yanks was "overpaid, oversexed and over here."

Mum and her sisters were dead gorge and 3 became war brides and moved to the States.

If Mum hadn't married a Brit at the end of the war I'd've lost me birthright!
Yul never wore cologne.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42763 on: May 10, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »
My uncle, Jim Corbett, Irish Guards, was killed very early in WW2.  His wife, my Aunt Ivy, opened a chippy on Walker Street off Bewsey in Warrington just down the road from Burtonwood.  As me Ma and mates worked there, it was soon the fave base chippy.

British wartime sentiment about Yanks was "overpaid, oversexed and over here."

Mum and her sisters were dead gorge and 3 became war brides and moved to the States.

If Mum hadn't married a Brit at the end of the war I'd've lost me birthright!

I have a hazy memory of us all going on a picnic down towards Burtonwood direction sometime back in the early 60's when it was still a busy'ish airbase and seeing quite a few Yank USAAF chaps around.

They undeniably had very impressive uniforms but my Father languidly said that the Yanks got a medal simply for queing for the NAAFI...

But I do have fond memories of the Yank Army guys we met when we did a trip in France around Easter '63 when I was not quite 8.

They were incredibly generous to all of us kids, we would often eat for free at the layby's we stopped in if there was one of their convoys parked up there with a canteen van. I still have an indestructable bakelite type Army issue coffee cup that was given to me by them just like this...

I was even taught to do the twist in a cafe by a group of Yanks, the Chubby Checker record was playing on the jukebox, it being all just prior to the Beatles takeover sweeping all that stuff aside.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse "Ridiculously cool" -TAW-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42764 on: May 10, 2020, 11:29:56 AM »
My soon to be Yank uncle took me to the base to see Rock Around The Clock when it came out in '55.  Changed me life forever.

How lucky were we to be born out of the war and into Rock n Roll?

Yul never wore cologne.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42765 on: May 11, 2020, 11:31:10 AM »
I was even taught to do the twist in a cafe by a group of Yanks, the Chubby Checker record was playing on the jukebox, it being all just prior to the Beatles takeover sweeping all that stuff aside.

Chubs invented it, but Joey Dee and the Starlighters took it to a new (and white) level in the US.

You couldn't breathe in the Peppermint Lounge when they played.

https://www.joeydee.com/twist-dance/
Yul never wore cologne.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • Campaigns
  • Believer
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #42766 on: May 11, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »

Cool.

Any idea who the two guys sitting opposite Ringo at the table are, might be my mind playing tricks but I think I vaguely recognise them from some other group of that time?

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42767 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:40 PM »
One looks like a Winwood.  Muff p'raps?  Bob Addio will know.
Yul never wore cologne.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42768 on: May 17, 2020, 12:52:25 PM »
I beat the cabin fever by meeting a couple of masked friends at Greenwood Cemetery.

After living near and viewing from passing by for yonks, realized it was one of the best places open to walkers, so on a bright beautiful day, took a walk around their meandering paths, massive trees, ponds, glades and impressive views.

Just like our Cathedral cemetery.

When Jam was just a wee butty and got rambunctious at home, his teenaged aunt was summoned to take him for a walk there.

We'd wander about reading, or trying to read the gravestones and staying away from the dark hole where a broken trike marked the spot where some miscreant had supposedly disappeared.

Auntie had a fit when I'd start climbing the wall.  The huge gaps between the stones made it an easy free climb for a 5 year scally who had no idea what death or a fall from great height was.

Check out GW here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/photo-tour-of-brooklyns-green-wood-cemetery-2014-7

Yul never wore cologne.

Offline rob19:6 "And yeah doth the Lord liketh trucking."

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42769 on: May 17, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »
Talking about coincidences, when I was about 18 and lived on Tower Hill, one night this stolen brown MKIV Cortina was dumped right by our house, I could hear from the chatter that the car had been robbed from Ormskirk. Before they had a chance to torch it, we rang the Police and they turned up and not long after the owner came and recovered the car.

We moved to Southport later that year and for my 21st, my Mum gave me enough money to buy a car and I bought this brown MKIV Cortina off a mate of my stepdads, who lived in Ormskirk. Eventually I twigged it was the same car that had been dumped on our estate.

Offline driftinwest

• Believer
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #42770 on: May 17, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »
I was just browsing you tube and came across this gem from 1968, Liverpool getting revenge for the 2-1 defeat at Anfield earlier in the season. I went the home game, but the ole fella wouldn't let me go the away match, I was twelve then and it wasn't that I was to young it was he wanted to go on the ale after the game with his mates and didn't want me tugging at his shirt strings, haha can't blame him god bless his soul.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d17jgyj2BN0
Enjoy auld arses it will bring back memories of how good a goalkeepers Tommy Lawrence and Alex Stepney were.
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #42771 on: May 28, 2020, 07:21:38 PM »
page 2?

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42772 on: June 5, 2020, 09:27:11 PM »
Ran into an old musician friend I've known for 40 years last week. 

Told me a story of how he, John Lennon and a bartender were the only ones in a NYC  bar on 13th & 5th at 230 one afternoon.

One of them was thrown out.  Guess who?

Mate walks into the place to have a slash, he sees a customer in convo with the bartender who looks a clean shaven Lennon.  He slows down to hear his accent which only confirms his theory. 

Goes up to John and says "You're John Lennon!"  "Guilty as charged" comes the reply and they start to converse about NY being the only town he wants to live in because here he's just another (albeit big) celebrity,  and being a Beatle.

This was in John's Exile period.  He said that being a Beatle was like getting on the best thrill ride ever in your life and being unable to ever get off.

After a while, me mate was Burstyn and begged off to the loo.

Came back and John and the bartender are arguing vociferously.  John is effing and blinding and the barman is getting really hot under the collar.  Another minute and he marches out, grabs John by the arm and hustles him out the door.

Me mate is incredulous.  'You just threw John Lennon out of the bar!" he screeches.

"Again!" says the barkeep.
Yul never wore cologne.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #42773 on: June 6, 2020, 12:22:47 AM »
My sister-in-law was travelling round Europe in the early seventies - she never came back -  with a friend of hers. They were in a bar in either Figueras or Cadaques (I'm not sure now) in NE Spain, one afternoon. George Harrison and another Beatle, not sure which one, came into the bar and invited them to to a party in the garden of this great big house - it was Salvador Dali's place - mind you they didn't even know who he was!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42774 on: June 6, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
^ ha ha, great stories, the John Lennon one ...  "Again!"   ;D :hally

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #42775 on: June 15, 2020, 09:37:50 PM »
Has anyone here seen Gordon Banks play? I'm watching a video of him, and there's a bit of him rushing out to clear the ball. Reading up about him, it appears that he would be what's now described as a "sweeper keeper", but I've never seen him called that.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Believer
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42776 on: June 17, 2020, 07:40:51 AM »
At times back then in our old game (50's/60's onwards), Gordon did what he instinctively felt had to be done. None of us fans gave much of a shit about giving it any special "name" back then. He just did what he believed was necessary to clear the ball away from any goal danger.

He wasn't the only keeper who did it either. Harry Gregg at my club would take very similar actions if he thought it necessary. 

But you know what they say about keepers being a bit looney, even though these guys sometimes called it wrong and would cock up. But essentially, they'd no doubt do it again - and again - if they judged the circumstances right there and then justified it.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #42777 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:50 PM »
Back after giving myself a decent break from this at times self harming madhouse,

loving the stories my father moved to the isle of Man years ago and one day while in Douglas i nipped in the gents and found myself in the stalls next to a looking worse for wear Bernie Winters ( thankfully minus the dog) i decided not to say hello given the state of him:

in the early to mid seventies one of the young chefs i worked with got into a relationship in South London and invited us down for a party when went down to visit his girlfriend who turned out to be Gary Glitter's Ex wife. Ann or Mrs Paul Gadd not sure if this lad and her stayed together,

Hope you are all keeping well.
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC)

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42778 on: June 19, 2020, 01:30:17 AM »
Ey up lads and lasses.

Was searching for summat on the Cunard Yanks and it took me back 10 years to a Shanklyboy post.

Some great ripostes back then with a few long gone arses.

Check 'em out.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=219996.6160
Yul never wore cologne.

Offline Dam Sodd

• Believer
  • Believer
« Reply #42779 on: June 25, 2020, 11:56:19 PM »
Just came on for the 1st time in ages to say congratulations to all the auld arses.. dunno how many of you are still on here but love and light to all. Here's to the 20th YNWA
Cool down and play

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Believer
  • All is well
« Reply #42780 on: June 26, 2020, 01:57:38 AM »
From one of the younger fans who's seeing us win it for the first time congratulations to you  auld arses :)
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42781 on: June 26, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
Back after giving myself a decent break from this at times self harming madhouse,

loving the stories my father moved to the isle of Man years ago and one day while in Douglas i nipped in the gents and found myself in the stalls next to a looking worse for wear Bernie Winters ( thankfully minus the dog) i decided not to say hello given the state of him:

in the early to mid seventies one of the young chefs i worked with got into a relationship in South London and invited us down for a party when went down to visit his girlfriend who turned out to be Gary Glitter's Ex wife. Ann or Mrs Paul Gadd not sure if this lad and her stayed together,

Hope you are all keeping well.

Mike and Bernie Winters were playing the notorious theatre in Glasgow. One of them was playing a flute or something similar on stage and on his own. The big, gormless one then stuck his head around the stage curtain and said in his gormless voice "Hellooo" at which a local wit bellowed out,

"Fuck me, there's two of them"

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42782 on: June 29, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3iyRFGzy0vs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3iyRFGzy0vs</a>
Yul never wore cologne.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #42783 on: July 9, 2020, 10:06:26 AM »
Sorry to butt into this thread :) but I was just wondering if any of you more seasoned members of the forum might have memories that stretch back to 1960? If so, could you have a little look at this thread and see if it rings any bells with you? It's re: the 1960 European Cup Final / Semi Final. Thank you!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345606
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #42784 on: July 9, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
Been a while since I’ve posted here, but wanted to give JohnnoWhite an acknowledgement regarding this young lad Mason Greenwood. I’ve watched him a few times, now, you’ve got a real gem on your hands, there, Johnno. Maybe next season will be spicy, after all. I haven’t enjoyed watching a Man U player so much since Bobby Charlton!
Victorious and glorious....