Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 63191 times)

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #800 on: February 5, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-bs162sa-15-6-laptop-silk-gold-10169335-pdt.html

This is a boss little set-up for under £400 isn't it?  The 4GB is a bit weedy but I can throw in an 8GB stick in any time, it's mainly for the missus (who still hasn't got one) to internet browse, horde some music, play Netflix and play some games (though nothing modern at all, think Ambulance Simulator-types).

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-bw020na-14-amd-a6-dual-core-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-laptop-with-dvdrw-blue/599-7314.prd?skuId=599-7314

She wants this (she'll get it for £341 because of discount) but I'm not convinced it's going to do everything she wants it to.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #801 on: February 10, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
I am debating between a couple of laptops. One has a 128gb SSD drive, the other a 500GB SSHD (Solid state hybrid drive).

I have no interest in buying a laptop with the lag of old style hard drives (I love SSD), but i'm intrigued by SSHD and the bigger capacity it offers. Also, the description of the SSHD drive says: "The drive uses only nonvolatile memory to store data instead of the spinning platters and moving heads. This results in fast access times and data transfer. This small form-factor drive has no moving parts. As a result it acts as a reliable storage device". Again, this sounds interesting and potentially appealing.

Is anyone here familiar with SSHD technology? Would you vouch for it, or would you recommend I just stick to SSD and take the smaller drive?
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Red Raw Burp!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #802 on: February 13, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »
I am debating between a couple of laptops. One has a 128gb SSD drive, the other a 500GB SSHD (Solid state hybrid drive).

I have no interest in buying a laptop with the lag of old style hard drives (I love SSD), but i'm intrigued by SSHD and the bigger capacity it offers. Also, the description of the SSHD drive says: "The drive uses only nonvolatile memory to store data instead of the spinning platters and moving heads. This results in fast access times and data transfer. This small form-factor drive has no moving parts. As a result it acts as a reliable storage device". Again, this sounds interesting and potentially appealing.

Is anyone here familiar with SSHD technology? Would you vouch for it, or would you recommend I just stick to SSD and take the smaller drive?
Not used one myself but my understanding is that the hybrid drive acts a bit like having faster/more cache.  The solid state part does not show up as a separate drive and you can't chose to install stuff on it separately.  At least that's what they were like the last time I looked.

When you can buy a £500 GB SSD for under £120 I would be tempted to look for something cheap like CornerFlag highlighted above and chuck one of these in: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

I have put Intel, Kingston, Crucial and SanDisk SSDs into my computers and they are all great after using HDDs but 128 GB is just too small  for me unless its going in a desktop as a system drive.  The Samsung EVOs though seem to have been the quickest for a while now.

The other bonuses with SSDs are light weight and better battery life which helps if it is going to be a portable.

Laptop manufacturers seem to want charge rather a lot for piddly little SSDs (which you can buy for ~£40) and charge Mac money for large or PCIE SSDs (even quicker). In many cases it will be cheaper to buy your own and if you do a clean windows install you also get the benefit of losing all the crap bundled software.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #803 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:54 AM »
Not used one myself but my understanding is that the hybrid drive acts a bit like having faster/more cache.  The solid state part does not show up as a separate drive and you can't chose to install stuff on it separately.  At least that's what they were like the last time I looked.

When you can buy a £500 GB SSD for under £120 I would be tempted to look for something cheap like CornerFlag highlighted above and chuck one of these in: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

I have put Intel, Kingston, Crucial and SanDisk SSDs into my computers and they are all great after using HDDs but 128 GB is just too small  for me unless its going in a desktop as a system drive.  The Samsung EVOs though seem to have been the quickest for a while now.

The other bonuses with SSDs are light weight and better battery life which helps if it is going to be a portable.

Laptop manufacturers seem to want charge rather a lot for piddly little SSDs (which you can buy for ~£40) and charge Mac money for large or PCIE SSDs (even quicker). In many cases it will be cheaper to buy your own and if you do a clean windows install you also get the benefit of losing all the crap bundled software.

Thanks for your advice mate - I think just buying a 512gb ssd drive and doing a clean install is the way I will go!
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #804 on: February 20, 2018, 01:38:06 PM »
im looking for a laptop that i can log into work pc, that can handle remote desktop(teamviewer)
budget is around 300-400
any recommendations?

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #805 on: February 20, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #806 on: February 25, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Laptops finally packed in so Iím in the market for a new one.

Any recommendations? Basically use it for browsing, Word, Music and will be looking to run a couple of games on it too like FM and Cuphead if possible.

Looking to pay about 400.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #808 on: March 3, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
Hi All, just bought a new laptop. what would be the best way to get the Microsoft suite for windows 10? without paying a hefty amount!

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Believer
« Reply #809 on: March 3, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »
Microsoft Office? Drop me a PM

Offline Henry Gale

• Believer
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #811 on: March 9, 2018, 11:00:00 PM »
Looks a good price. How is it?
So far so good. Very quick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Henry Gale

• Believer
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #812 on: April 7, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
So far so good. Very quick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks. Is the 256GB enough space? I'm guessing windows takes up a fair bit?

Online WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker.
  • Believer
« Reply #813 on: April 7, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
Thanks. Is the 256GB enough space? I'm guessing windows takes up a fair bit?

I ended up getting one with just an 128gb ssd & bought a 1TB Seagate back up plus for £48.Windows takes up less than 20gb
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill