Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 83790 times)

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #760 on: November 15, 2016, 10:16:46 PM »
Looking for a laptop mainly for Lightroom. Display is most important quality was going to go down Mac road, displays are fantastic but latest pro's seem very costly. Is there anything PC wise I should be looking at. Saw display on Surface pro which is great but in my eyes, colour wise not quite as good as the retina displays. Is there anything out there that rivals the Mac display?
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • blazed
« Reply #761 on: November 16, 2016, 05:36:01 AM »
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-zenbook-pro-ux501-v

Check it out. Worth every penny.

Even better but more expensive

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP940Z5L-X01US

More accurate than your 'retina' display...

Both of those can run anything you can throw at them and more...
Phuk yoo

Offline Claire.

• The Don. Giving it up for Lents. Too bright for most RAWK users. Getting antsy.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Believer
« Reply #762 on: November 16, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »
Looking for a laptop mainly for Lightroom. Display is most important quality was going to go down Mac road, displays are fantastic but latest pro's seem very costly. Is there anything PC wise I should be looking at. Saw display on Surface pro which is great but in my eyes, colour wise not quite as good as the retina displays. Is there anything out there that rivals the Mac display?

Can't recommend anything cos I only use macs but you had a nose on the refurb store? http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac - sometimes, high spec returns appear, not been used but box opened. They're expensive but have you considered an iMac? I have the 5K and it's absolutely beautiful.

Offline The 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #763 on: November 16, 2016, 09:57:55 PM »
Thanks '21' the zenbook looks fantastic and what I was looking for pricewise, my only worry is that the screen is glossy, which would mean I could omly use it in ideal conditions. Claire The 5k imac's are beautiful and at some point I can see myself going down this route atm I have a decent 27 ips screen with a windows set up that still has quite a bit of life left in it, I wanted something portable  the macbooks loook too expensive but I keep getting drawn back to their screens. I'll look at that refurb store or might way up pros and cons of a decent ipad pro and using lightroom mobile and syncing on main computer, not my first choice.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Liverlee

• Daddy Discord
  • Believer
« Reply #764 on: December 10, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
Looking to get a replacement battery for my asus laptop and was wondering where the best place to get a good battery would be. Dont want to get cheap chinese one but then again I dont want to be spending more than 50 on one.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #765 on: January 4, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
Hi guys, basically, I know pretty much fuck all when it comes to laptops, but I am in need of a new one. All I'd really use it for would be doing uni work on, using the internet and playing footy manager - but I'd also like it to be quite small and light. Am i right in assuming that laptops used for games such as FM are usually bigger and bulkier and more powerful?

I was looking at the Lenovo ThinkPad, or possibly a preowned Mac, but like I said I am pretty much an amateur so I don't really know what I'm looking for!

My budget would be around 400-500.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #766 on: April 10, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
Wondering if these specs on a new laptop are achievable for a 400 budget:

i5 processor  (or 6th/7th Gen i3)
1TB HDD
8GB RAM  (though I can always upgrade this later on)
15.6" screen
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of 22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #767 on: April 10, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
Wondering if these specs on a new laptop are achievable for a 400 budget:

i5 processor  (or 6th/7th Gen i3)
1TB HDD
8GB RAM  (though I can always upgrade this later on)
15.6" screen

A quick look on Ebuyer says yep. Saw these 2:

HP 250 G5 i3 Laptop X0Q06ES 360 (Bigger SSD)
Acer Aspire E-14 (E5-475) Laptop 390 (Better processor but 14")

What do you want to be able to do with the laptop? Both have U processors which are more for portable laptops than a powerhouse.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a 25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #768 on: April 11, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
A quick look on Ebuyer says yep. Saw these 2:

HP 250 G5 i3 Laptop X0Q06ES 360 (Bigger SSD)
Acer Aspire E-14 (E5-475) Laptop 390 (Better processor but 14")

What do you want to be able to do with the laptop? Both have U processors which are more for portable laptops than a powerhouse.
It's for the wife, she keeps a lot of her music on her old laptop but it's dying (one of those where it's taking an age to power up and only works with the power cable plugged in) but she wants to be playing some semi-intensive games.  She likes the simulator'type games plus she's possibly changing directions in work so she's likely multi-tasking with it.  That's why I've gone with a traditional HDD rather than an SSD as boot-up time isn't a major issue.  A 15.6" is better than portability as it likely won't be leaving the house too often, but we're too tight for space for a desktop.

I have this one: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-akoya-e6421-core-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-30020525/version.asp and I got that for 370 so I was hoping a similar spec would be about.  I guess the fall in the pound is a big factor in prices at the minute.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of 22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #769 on: April 11, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
I found an SSD made a massive difference when playing Footy Manager which is a simulation game, SSD's are more than just a fast boot up time. If it was me I'd stick with an SSD, 8GB RAM and after that just look for the laptop with the best processor whilst staying within your budget. I'm not up to date with which sites/shops are the best but you can always look on Laptops Direct, Amazon and Ebuyer.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a 25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #770 on: April 13, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
I think it's one of those where I can see the benefit of an SSD but she mightn't.  A hybrid drive would be ideal but they're hard to come across whenever I've looked (unless they only fit 3.5" bays) as the storage aspect is fairly important to her.  I'll see what sort of SSD I can get, I think 256GB would probably be a minimum though.

I usually use all three of those btw, I used to use Dabs until BT bought it out.
My Twitter

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
  • Internet Philantropist Lvl 1
« Reply #771 on: April 18, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
I recently bought a HP 255 G5 with a 128GB SSD. For my needs, which is mostly for browsing and streaming shows and sports, I am very happy with it. Only cost me about 250.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #772 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:58 PM »
Are Macbook Airs any good? I will only use it to browse online and download music with the odd stream here and there.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Believer
« Reply #773 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good Laptop which can dock?

I like the use of a 'desktop' but also want the portability of a laptop so looking for something that can dock into a monitor/mouse/keyboard set up and can also easily be picked up and taken away.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #774 on: April 19, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good Laptop which can dock?

I like the use of a 'desktop' but also want the portability of a laptop so looking for something that can dock into a monitor/mouse/keyboard set up and can also easily be picked up and taken away.

Depends on your price range. I've always liked the Dell XPS range but Dell do quite a few laptops which dock as a lot of companies use them as business laptops. My work laptop is a Dell and the dock it uses connects via USB rather than through a port in the base which the older ones used to use. I find the USB connection better as we had some issues in work with the pins in the base port getting bent.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Believer
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #775 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »
i purchased a lenovo yoga 510, it looks great, has a touch screen and can rotate all the way back into a tablet mode.. but its so damn slow when you turn it on.. it doesnt pick up untill its been on for atleast 20 minutes.. is this normal? i do have the care plan with currys so should i take it back?

Offline gav91v

• Kopite
« Reply #776 on: April 20, 2017, 12:05:56 AM »
i purchased a lenovo yoga 510, it looks great, has a touch screen and can rotate all the way back into a tablet mode.. but its so damn slow when you turn it on.. it doesnt pick up untill its been on for atleast 20 minutes.. is this normal? i do have the care plan with currys so should i take it back?

My mate had one of those and had the same problems, with his eventually just not starting up. It then broke down after about 6 months of him having it. However his brother had used it before with no issues, but not sure for how long. Would be no harm in taking it back and getting them to look at it, but it does seem its a common feature of that laptop unfortunately.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Believer
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #777 on: April 20, 2017, 01:26:57 AM »
My mate had one of those and had the same problems, with his eventually just not starting up. It then broke down after about 6 months of him having it. However his brother had used it before with no issues, but not sure for how long. Would be no harm in taking it back and getting them to look at it, but it does seem its a common feature of that laptop unfortunately.

hmm, see the thing is when it load it up its slow af, after 20 minutes or so its perfect and fast, i do really like the touch screen/tablet feature though, i may just take it back and see what they say to be on the safe side

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #778 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »
Anyone know any free virus packages for a lap top? Pretty sure mines got a virus.

Offline cloggypop

• Believer
« Reply #779 on: April 20, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »
Anyone know any free virus packages for a lap top? Pretty sure mines got a virus.
Malwarebytes is usually pretty good for sorting it out

https://www.malwarebytes.com

Try Superantispyware as well

http://www.superantispyware.com

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #780 on: April 21, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
Malwarebytes is usually pretty good for sorting it out

https://www.malwarebytes.com

Try Superantispyware as well

http://www.superantispyware.com
Cheers mate, i'll give them ago.
Keep being told my lap top isn't compatible with them. Something to do with chrome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:14:39 PM by hide5seek »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Believer
Purchasing a Lap Top advice
« Reply #781 on: July 5, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
Apologies posted on wrong forum , moved to Technology

Im sure a tedious question for you guys who live in the mythical world of computer technology...but whats the best Lap top circa 750 ( dunno if thats an appropiate figure but at moment thats the budget).

Ditching our Dell Computer as moving house will mean less space and a lap top seems the more appropiate direction. It will mainly be used for internet browsing, domestic files and my lad will play internet games. Music would be played as well.

Any advice  or guidance welcome

« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 01:43:15 PM by FlashingBlade »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Believer
Purchasing a Lap Top Advice
« Reply #782 on: July 5, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
apologies, orginally posted on gaming thread by mistake :wave

Im sure a tedious question for you guys who live in the mythical world of computer technology...but whats the best Lap top circa 750 ( dunno if thats an appropiate figure but at moment thats the budget).

Ditching our Dell Computer as moving house will mean less space and a lap top seems the more appropiate direction. It will mainly be used for internet browsing, domestic files and my lad will play internet games. Music would be played as well.

Any advice  or guidance welcome

Offline WhoHe

• Believer
Re: Purchasing a Lap Top Advice
« Reply #783 on: July 5, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
Have a look in this thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=216047 most of the advice probably still stands, just got cheaper.

Ha, dunno what happened there, corrected, I think.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2017, 02:03:52 PM by WhoHe »

Offline afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #784 on: July 5, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
Have a look in this thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=2160 most of the advice probably still stands, just got cheaper.

You want him to buy Sami Hyypia?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
Re: Purchasing a Lap Top advice
« Reply #785 on: July 5, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
personally (similar usage) I went for best spec I could get for below 300, in my experience they last about 3-5 years and then I get another, in 4 years you get a higher spec for similar money, so around 750 for 10 years of laptop. 

Most of my browsing is now on my phone.

(was similar to http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo_e50-70_intel_core_i3-4030u_4gb_500gb_dvdrw_15.6_windows_8.1_laptop_80ja0132uk/version.asp)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Believer
« Reply #786 on: July 5, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
Have a look in this thread https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=216047 most of the advice probably still stands, just got cheaper.

Ha, dunno what happened there, corrected, I think.

Cheers, I did search for a previous thread , honest!!

You want him to buy Sami Hyypia?

If I could buy a new Sami Hyypia for 750 I would!!!

Offline S

• pineless
  • Believer
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Purchasing a Lap Top advice
« Reply #787 on: July 5, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
Might be too much but at 850 you could get a MacBook Air. I use mine similarly to how you're describing and it's perfect.

Offline PresuminEd74

• Kemlynite
« Reply #788 on: August 5, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »

I'm after a new laptop and apart from streaming it'll be used for Lightroom. Just wondering what you went for? Had a look at Imacs but I'd rather spend 1k plus on a drone.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Believer
  • @sattapaal on Twitter
« Reply #789 on: August 13, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
dell e7470 is a brilliant computer if you can get the high res one.
Quote from: JohnWHenry
We will build and grow from within, buy prudently and cleverly and never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages. We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players
Too late eh?

Offline Disregarder

• Main Stander
  • TV's own
« Reply #790 on: September 3, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
Would appreciate some advice on getting a new laptop to be used for MS Office, general surfing and downloading.  I'm a teacher and need a second laptop for prep work.

Currently using an Acer Travelmate 5744 i3-380M 2.53GHz with 4GB RAM which is about 5 years old but works very well and is plenty fast enough.

Have been looking at the HP 14 Inch Intel Celeron 4GB 1TB from Argos as it's only 250 and wanted a large HDD to back up photos and music.   Processor speed is 1.6 GHz though.  Is that fast enough for what I need do you think or should I go for similar to what I had last time?
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #791 on: September 3, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
Celerons are a bit wimpy when it comes to processing power normally, I'd say look for a Pentium for a price range under 300 myself, something like this might be a bit better, plus a 15.6" screen too.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-110-15-6-laptop-black-10157866-pdt.html
My Twitter

Offline Disregarder

• Main Stander
  • TV's own
« Reply #792 on: September 3, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
Celerons are a bit wimpy when it comes to processing power normally, I'd say look for a Pentium for a price range under 300 myself, something like this might be a bit better, plus a 15.6" screen too.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-110-15-6-laptop-black-10157866-pdt.html

Cheers. Looks like that will be ideal
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #793 on: December 11, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »
Bought football manager today to discover my laptop appears to be passed it sell by date - in fairness its quite old.

Looking recommendations for a new laptop that will allow me to play it without any hassle.

Have around 500 to spend and happy to wait for the sales after Christmas to purchase.

Minimum requirements are

Minimum Windows FM 2018 System Requirements

OS: Windows Vista (SP2), 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (1703/Creators Update) - 64-bit or 32-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core or AMD Athlon 2.2 GHz +
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 256MB VRAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 7 GB available space

Thanks in advance

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Believer
« Reply #794 on: January 20, 2018, 04:40:21 AM »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #795 on: January 20, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B077Q82B8V#Ask

What do people reckon on this?

Apart from the lack of SSD that seems to be a really capable machine. It's not going to be a high performance gaming rig but it'll play a load of last gen games at high res I suspect and will be a great productivity/general laptop.

-----

You may be interested in these laptops I'm looking at:

Lenovo/Dell refurbs - 8gb RAM, SSDs and i5 processors for under 250

https://www.gigarefurb.co.uk/refurbished-laptops?memory=41
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:03:22 PM by Lfsea »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Believer
« Reply #796 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Apart from the lack of SSD that seems to be a really capable machine. It's not going to be a high performance gaming rig but it'll play a load of last gen games at high res I suspect and will be a great productivity/general laptop.

-----

You may be interested in these laptops I'm looking at:

Lenovo/Dell refurbs - 8gb RAM, SSDs and i5 processors for under 250

https://www.gigarefurb.co.uk/refurbished-laptops?memory=41
yeah, i'm not gonna be using it for gaming, i'll just stick to my ps4 there. the 5 year warranty, shock/drop proof build, plus the specs are the selling points for me here. i'll have a look for anything cheaper though
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #797 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »
yeah, i'm not gonna be using it for gaming, i'll just stick to my ps4 there. the 5 year warranty, shock/drop proof build, plus the specs are the selling points for me here. i'll have a look for anything cheaper though

Do have a look at that link then if you are in just in the market for a 'browsing on your lap whilst watching the telly' laptop, like I am.

Online stara

• ra-boom-de-ay
  • Believer
« Reply #798 on: January 20, 2018, 03:42:21 PM »

Then SSD is a must. They can withstand up to 1,500 g during operation or 25 times that of a standard drive.
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is, along golf, much, much more important than that."

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #799 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
Can anyone reccomend a laptop purely for just internet use and the odd bit of streaming? Looking at a lenovos maybe? Budget of around 300