Author Topic: Bruce Springsteen  (Read 170846 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: Bruce Springsteen
« Reply #2200 on: August 2, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
Point taken, just a little jest... :wave

I know mate...

;)

...just gives me an opportunity to shoehorn a few of Bruce's gems into the thread without it looking TOO contrived!!!

:)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2201 on: August 2, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
Very good point, TG!

In recent years I've gone from trying to hide my emotional side from my wife and kids to not really giving a fuck whether I show emotion or not when I'm not alone. Part of that journey has been helped by Bruce's music for sure.

As you say we as LFC fans go through these emotions every season. The past season was more joyful than many but we must some kind of suckers for going on that roller coaster ride time and time again. :)

Ha ha. Love it. It can still be a mite embarrassing when the tears begin venturing towards fully blown sob territory though mate - my missus can tell because I start this ridiculous sounding coughing to try to hold it back. It also gives you a fucking awful headache with the stress of trying to stifle them!!!!

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #2202 on: August 2, 2019, 10:26:50 AM »
Ha ha. Love it. It can still be a mite embarrassing when the tears begin venturing towards fully blown sob territory though mate - my missus can tell because I start this ridiculous sounding coughing to try to hold it back. It also gives you a fucking awful headache with the stress of trying to stifle them!!!!

Hahaha. Very true. When I can feel the tears coming I usually become very quiet and start biting my lower lip to try and hold it back. My wife and kids now know what I look like when I'm entering tearful territory and just leave me alone or sometimes make a bit of fun of it.

Oh the joys of getting older and more sensitive...  ::)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2203 on: August 10, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
Just survived my emotional ordeal watching Blinded by the Light at the Showcase.

The movie should carry a health warning to any Springsteen fan who has ever been emotionally absorbed by the uniquely inspiring poetry of Bruce's early song canon. Watching it projected after all these years onto the big summer blockbuster screen with its backdrop of this alienated and closeted Pakistani youth finding instance connection, solace and inspiration in lyrics that have been ingrained within the hearts and souls of the likes of us Bruce diehards for all those years becomes an hour long struggle to hold back the blubbing - and I have to say on more than a few occasions not a hugely successful struggle at that.

Clearly then, highly recommended for any true Bruce fan for the emotional rollercoater ride, albeit a second less emotionally racked watch will be required in order to make any considered judgement as to whether the film itself is actually any good. I suspect it is but I'll let you know after I watch it again in a more composed state with my daughter next week.

:D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2204 on: August 11, 2019, 11:29:51 PM »
Just survived my emotional ordeal watching Blinded by the Light at the Showcase.

The movie should carry a health warning to any Springsteen fan who has ever been emotionally absorbed by the uniquely inspiring poetry of Bruce's early song canon. Watching it projected after all these years onto the big summer blockbuster screen with its backdrop of this alienated and closeted Pakistani youth finding instance connection, solace and inspiration in lyrics that have been ingrained within the hearts and souls of the likes of us Bruce diehards for all those years becomes an hour long struggle to hold back the blubbing - and I have to say on more than a few occasions not a hugely successful struggle at that.

Clearly then, highly recommended for any true Bruce fan for the emotional rollercoater ride, albeit a second less emotionally racked watch will be required in order to make any considered judgement as to whether the film itself is actually any good. I suspect it is but I'll let you know after I watch it again in a more composed state with my daughter next week.

:D

Looks like the film reviewer in this BBC radio show had a similar emotion charged experience to me... it's at 1hr 24mins in for anyone arsed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007dlh

;D

Offline Timbo0151

• @Timbo0151
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
« Reply #2205 on: September 12, 2019, 01:22:37 AM »
Not much going on in here re Western Stars but the few who have hit on it might want to read [or not] the ramblings of someone who is absolutely fucking bowled over by it. Namely moi.  Hopefully what I've written might help me to come to terms with the emotional connection I've made with the album and its impact on me in that vein ever since the process was kick started after hearing that first single release of ‘Hello Sunshine’.

As it is, I’m pretty sure I’ve never before felt so compelled to read as many reviews and opinions about a record as I have since first listening to this one. It has been a compulsion which I’m sure has stemmed from a kind of disbelief that even an artist as uniquely gifted as Bruce could have come up with a piece of work quite so remarkable as Western Stars after all this time and at his stage of life.

More to the point, I guess I needed to understand my own connection to the album and make sure I was not alone in my enthusiasm for it. That it was not simply the instant head rush of a romantic in his late sixties enacting a self-fulfilling wish for a latterday album of his musical hero to be a great one. 

And yet if that were the case why a month or so down the road is the spark from that initial head rush still glowing just as brightly; possibly even more so? Hopefully, the rest of what I’ve written may help provide answers to that question.

When six weeks or so ago I’d heard that first single release from the album, the impact of 'Hello Sunshine' was immediate. I was both moved and exhilarated.

'Moved' because of the song’s instant sobering message. Whilst I don't suffer personally from the depression which the song defines, our eldest son who is mid-40's and married with his own family, is sadly afflicted by that at times incapacitating illness. And so that very simply expressed yet at the same time highly emotional imploring for those shafts of sunshine to stay, evoked so beautifully by Bruce, resonated very powerfully with me. Knowing just how elusive, nay, often impossible such a state of relative tranquility can be for someone blighted by the 'black dog' of that illness lent the song a depth which its overt sweetness and delicacy seemed to belie. The paradox of that contrasting musical cocktail really hit home. Bruce’s analogy of his craving to hold onto those spells of sunshine most of us take so much for granted provided a vivid glimpse into the kind of despair which the likes of my son and Bruce have hanging over them all the time and to which they can sometimes be remorselessly subjected. Even given all our years of exposure to the pain of our son’s burden it provided me with a further valued layer of insight into the damn thing.

Yet the connection did not end there. Simultaneously I was also hugely ‘exhilarated' by the innate quality of what Bruce had brought to the table. Accompanying that immediate personal downbeat connection to the song’s intrinsic sadness and desperation, came a contrasting fist pumping outpouring of unbridled “bloodyhell, what an absolute gem of a song” uplifting emotion. Half a dozen or so more listens reaffirmed the song was truly quite special. Certainly in my view as good as anything we Springsteen followers had been gifted for some considerable time. Reconciling my twin feelings of poignancy and delight may initially have been no easy task and I cannot deny a sense of guilt strayed into the mix as the joyous element began to hold sway. However, I guess exceptional music is an art form that one way or another will always find a routeway to bridge such extremes.

It was immediately clear to me this amazing ‘taster’ Bruce had dropped in our laps had whetted my appetite like seldom before. I make no bones about it, I was left yearning desperately for Bruce to give us an entire album of material just as special as ‘Sunshine’. Yet this blind optimism was tempered by the baited breath of inevitably sharply contrasting expectations. I knew a far more plausible likelihood was rooted within the more sobering reality of a quite lengthy succession of Bruce’s albums over many years which had simply never got close to the magnificence of his finest recordings from his heydays. Sure, none of those later offerings had ever failed to boast their high spots, some more than others of course. Yet, in terms of top of the range complete entities, it seemed the high water marks of the past had become elusive if not unattainable.

The fact was on the strength of ‘Hello Sunshine’, my heart may well have been craving for the moon, but the head was telling me such hope was an impossible aspiration; that the album's first sneak preview might just prove to be its high point with little or even nothing else coming close to ‘Sunshine’s’ simple perfection.

It was a doubt which precluded me from seeking out either of the two further samplers ‘There Goes My Miracle’ and Tucson Train’. Agonisingly tempting as it was to give them a listen, if the album was going to fall short for me, it was going to do so as an entity. One stonewall classic was in the bag. I certainly didn’t want my hopes crushed with anything less at this premature stage. If it was the case that another album of true greatness might ultimately prove to be beyond the capabilities of an artist of Bruce’s length of time in the saddle, then I would find it out in one hit. Not in dribs and drabs.

As so many of us now know to our communal delight, with Western Stars any fears I harboured in such regard were not only unfounded but kicked well and truly into the Prairie long grass. Bruce had not only found his earlier career mojo, rather he had unearthed an entirely new one of hitherto largely concealed richness. Perhaps inspired partly by a renewed confidence and vigour gained from his recent triumphant Broadway performances, the album was itself a triumph; laced end to end with sparkling gems. Some that stood shoulder to shoulder with ‘Sunshine’ and some that with the help of superbly crafted orchestration somehow managed to transcend even that level. Not a single one paled or fell short of the mark I was craving. Above all, and most striking and impressive, the album seemed to work immediately as a cohesive whole.

And so it was, this seamless piece of work opened up before me like a ride along some spectacular sundrenched canyon. I listened with open mouthed awe at the aural splendour unfolding. Like most folks I’d never been a stuntman, a B-movie actor, a Country music aspirant or, indeed, a cowboy. Hell, at 5000 miles distant, the nearest to the West I’d ever gotten was via a technicolour screen, large or small, courtesy of John Ford, Rowdy Yates or Charlie Worcester and his chuck wagon. No matter. In this instance the connection was a given; the intrinsic mix of theme, mood and setting infused with Bruce’s irresistible cocktail of delicious melodies, sumptuous strings and simple, often inspired lyrical craft meant the album was a truly sublime entity, all parts sharing Bruce’s distinctive disarming palette of world weary lonesomeness and cherished reminiscence wrapped in a shroud of start to finish musical magnificence.

Bruce had gone and done what I guess many of us craved he might possibly do but feared he couldn’t. Why did I ever doubt him? He’d delivered something infinitely more rare and precious than I’d ever dared hope for. Before any of us mere mortals had laid a cherished ear hole on it, Jon Landau had termed it an album for the ages. My dear better half – somewhat disparagingly it has to be said and aimed in my direction – has since termed it an album for the aged. Both terms are, of course, absolutely correct. Being lengthy in the tooth is I’m sure no bad thing when it comes to being beguiled by this particular musical offering. Nor is the immense listening pleasure derived from it likely to constitute any five minute wonder. This is an album for keeps. For any age.

Exactly how Bruce has managed at this juncture of his career to achieve a watermark so high is a matter more than worthy of further reflection.  As I mentioned earlier, after decades of creating work, which for the most part has invariably been of a fine standard, the reality is that until this marvellous new offering Bruce has never really come close to emulating the inspired work of his heyday. So why has he now managed to create an album with which so many long standing fans like myself not to mention other lesser devotees are becoming so feverishly enthralled and rating so highly?

I suspect the answer lies primarily in the album’s underlying themes. Lonesome, restless, tortured souls in search of something they are most always never destined to find are what Bruce has always done best. Throw in Mid and Wild West landscapes, an isolated Mex Tex juke box oasis and a deserted motel and Bruce is like the proverbial pig in shit with his creative juices running as wild as they’ve ever been.

It has meant each track on Western Stars, no matter their shared downbeat premise, is an absolute joy. Each sounds wholly organic, as if each simply oozed like honey from that unique Bruce storytelling bonce; the one that somehow manages to ensnare simple gorgeous melodies with equally simple stark, sobering tales of dysfunctional souls bearing wistful memories, poignant regrets and plaintive hopes. Nothing on the album sounds remotely forced or out of place with anything else on the album. The cohesiveness of the whole is quite breathtaking and ultimately becomes the album’s crowning glory. 

Yet, there is something else which I believe has also played a significant part in setting Western Stars apart. It seems to me that Bruce must have felt quite early on in his songwriting process for the album that he was on a winner; that he was in the process of creating something very special with an across the board consistency of theme and quality of song. I think it explains the possibly misleading notion of him sitting on these songs for so long. Indeed, I suspect the opposite has been the case and he has been nurturing them for much of this time, honing them like a jeweller with polished gems, crafting and adding sublime orchestrations which have taken some of the tracks already superb in their basic essence to the levels of aural magic we can hear so clearly on the album. Hitch Hiker, Western Stars, Chasing Wild Horses, Stones amongst others all arguably find their most haunting, inspired moments with their deliciously crafted string accompaniments. 

It seems to me that with Western Stars Bruce has been hellbent on a mission to announce to the music world that at his time of life he can very likely and perhaps even uniquely conjure up a fresh piece of work to stand with anything either he himself or anybody else has ever done. Personally, I believe he has done so.

I was stopped in my tracks on hearing Hello Sunshine for the first time. The arrangement, his voice. All the things you come to expect, really. It took longer for me to take in the words. And when I did, it made me take a closer look at myself, who I am and perhaps what I, and we all are here for. I've had a rough recent few years, and this song truly resonated.

As for the album, for me personally, whilst I agree it's something we've been waiting for since TOL, I've not heard him spill his emotions out like this since a good chunk of The Rising. This is a man laying everything out, and it's quite incredible. If you couldn't afford Broadway, or were turned off by it for reasons previously cited, then Western Stars more than makes up for it. And tells his story better, if you know what you're listening for. Which is what you, Timbo, identified and perfectly elucidated in your post.

And that Album Cover. Fucking Hell. You can get wall size canvasses/paintings done in your house now apparently. I'm getting one.
SOS member 1295
@timbo0151

Offline disgraced cake

• Believer
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2206 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »
70 today. Happy birthday to the Boss   8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:32:55 AM by disgraced cake »
Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2207 on: September 23, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
I’ve been listening to “Børn to run “ all day. The first album I heard with him. Been addicted since 1983 and still am to this day. Happy birthday Boss!

Offline jed the red

• Ich bin ein Gläubiger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2208 on: September 23, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »
I have literally just learnt my first 2 chords on the guitar today. Coincidence? I think not!

Happy birthday Boss, and thanks for the soundtrack to my life!

Offline a little break

• Tonyign0r35u
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #2209 on: September 23, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »
I’ve been listening to “Børn to run “ all day. The first album I heard with him. Been addicted since 1983 and still am to this day. Happy birthday Boss!

Just what an incredible album. I remember I worked with a guy from 18-23 who was exactly 10 years my senior who still remains a great friend to this day. He was (and still is) the biggest Springsteen fan I've ever met. I remember him CONSTANTLY fawning all over him to me because I was in a band at the time and telling me we should play Springsteen stuff more and that when I did solo gigs I should do more of the Boss. I didn't get it.

When I became the age he was then it was almost like Bruce Springsteen was speaking directly to me in his lyrics and now at 34 years of age it feels that way even more. His lyrics speak to me in a way no other musician I listen to can.

Happy 70th, Boss.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2210 on: September 28, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »
Just what an incredible album. I remember I worked with a guy from 18-23 who was exactly 10 years my senior who still remains a great friend to this day. He was (and still is) the biggest Springsteen fan I've ever met. I remember him CONSTANTLY fawning all over him to me because I was in a band at the time and telling me we should play Springsteen stuff more and that when I did solo gigs I should do more of the Boss. I didn't get it.

When I became the age he was then it was almost like Bruce Springsteen was speaking directly to me in his lyrics and now at 34 years of age it feels that way even more. His lyrics speak to me in a way no other musician I listen to can.

Happy 70th, Boss.

I know exactly what you mean!!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2211 on: October 10, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
Heads up for the 2 or 3 others who seem to be arsed about Western Stars.  :wave Bruce promoting Western Stars film on Graham Norton show this coming Friday 10.30pm BBC. Robert de Niro also on.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2212 on: October 12, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »
Heads up for the 2 or 3 others who seem to be arsed about Western Stars.  :wave Bruce promoting Western Stars film on Graham Norton show this coming Friday 10.30pm BBC. Robert de Niro also on.

Full show. Bruce comes on around 24mins. Regrettably he doesn't perform any songs but there's a beautiful clip from the forthcoming movie and his interview shows exactly why those of us who absolutely love the guy to bits er...absolutely love the guy to bits.

;D

Offline mattD

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2213 on: October 12, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »

Ta for this. Still the best album released this year, along with Lana Del Reys one.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2214 on: October 24, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »
Ta for this. Still the best album released this year, along with Lana Del Reys one.

Agreed mate. Still hooked on it some 5 months or so after initial hearing. An amazing piece of work. It seems to get better the more I play it. Must look up the Lana Del Reys one.

Also a heads up for the 2 or 3 interested in it. The film of the live performance album is out this coming Monday evening [28th October] at most cinemas. It appears to be a one off showing at every cinema I've looked at. So looks like anyone missing it on Monday will have to wait for the DVD.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2215 on: October 28, 2019, 11:57:23 PM »

Also a heads up for the 2 or 3 interested in it. The film of the live performance album is out this coming Monday evening [28th October] at most cinemas. It appears to be a one off showing at every cinema I've looked at. So looks like anyone missing it on Monday will have to wait for the DVD.

Just back from the Fact cinema showing tonight. Speechless.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2216 on: October 29, 2019, 11:52:30 AM »
Just back from the Fact cinema showing tonight. Speechless.
Went to it last night myself.

Needed to see it on the big screen. It was mesmerizing. Just so bloody personal, I just got lost in the performance and music. It made the whole album seem so much more complex.

It is only showing for one night in my local, otherwise I think I would go again and again.

What an Artist, what a Performer.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2217 on: October 30, 2019, 03:30:22 PM »
Went to it last night myself.

Needed to see it on the big screen. It was mesmerizing. Just so bloody personal, I just got lost in the performance and music. It made the whole album seem so much more complex.

It is only showing for one night in my local, otherwise I think I would go again and again.

What an Artist, what a Performer.

Mesmerizing! What a perfect way to describe it.

As you know I've been captivated by the album almost since day one. However, even despite that fact, I wasn't ready for the impact of this live performance of these wonderful songs - the sheer beauty and perfection of the music served up was just breathtaking. As you say - what an artist and what a performer.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2218 on: November 4, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
Mesmerizing! What a perfect way to describe it.

As you know I've been captivated by the album almost since day one. However, even despite that fact, I wasn't ready for the impact of this live performance of these wonderful songs - the sheer beauty and perfection of the music served up was just breathtaking. As you say - what an artist and what a performer.

Gonna see it again tonight at the Showcase. Cannot wait. Dragging some of the family there this time. The beauty of it is that I know 100% they'll be bowled over at just how magnificent it is and thy're not even fans. A total win win for me.

;D

Online BarryCrocker

• Believer
« Reply #2219 on: December 8, 2019, 07:33:37 AM »
Just back from the cinema. What a stunning accompaniment to a sensational album. Imagine being one of the lucky people to be present while that was being made.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline driftinwest

• Believer
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #2220 on: April 15, 2020, 11:15:34 AM »
Just got sent this by my daughter, Bruce Springsteen to livestream a performance from home that will be broadcast on SirusXM's E Street Radio on Wednesday 15t April at 10am E.T. Which will be 5pm here. Haven't a clue how to tune into that radio station so hoping it gets streamed on youtube
The source is from rolling stone magazine 
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2221 on: May 14, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
If you go on Youtube there's a load of different concerts to be viewed for free on his channel there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcu7ANuD9J7hnTQCREqIc4Q

Offline irc65

• Main Stander
« Reply #2222 on: May 15, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
If you go on Youtube there's a load of different concerts to be viewed for free on his channel there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcu7ANuD9J7hnTQCREqIc4Q
Thanks for posting that. I watched some of the 1978 gig from Houston last night. The best live band in history at their absolute peak. Would deffo be near the top of my list of gigs to go to in my time machine.

I also enjoyed some of the covers of Bruce songs in one of the other playlists. Sara Barielles's version of I'm on Fire was unexpectedly lovely.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Believer
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #2223 on: May 31, 2020, 09:11:59 PM »
Late to the party but just getting into Springsteen now. Love Downbound Train and I’m Goin’ Down from the BITUSA album.

And coincidentally, just been listening to 41 Shots. Still as relevant today as it was then.

Offline fish, barrel, etc.

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2224 on: May 31, 2020, 10:43:39 PM »
Late to the party but just getting into Springsteen now. Love Downbound Train and I’m Goin’ Down from the BITUSA album.

And coincidentally, just been listening to 41 Shots. Still as relevant today as it was then.

Always room for one more at the party, the music is so wide-ranging...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #2225 on: June 1, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »
Enjoyed his little cameo during the Dropkick Murphys set at Fenway on Friday night.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John