Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 158826 times)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Believer
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
Affligem Trippel. Mmmmmmmm..........

Was once kaylyed through slurping 6 Westmalle Trippels - semi-paralysed by 6 x 33cl teeny tiny bottles. What a lesson THAT was!!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Believer
Anyone know if they sell Franziskaner at any pubs/bars/clubs/etc in Liverpool? I discovered it about 5 years ago in Munich and have been drinking it at pre-drinks ever since (they sell it in Asda and Tesco), but have never managed to find it on a night out, even the German bars herge never have it in my experiences.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
I only recently discovered Aldi supermarkets here in the States, and tried out their Wernesgrüner Pilsner. I was so pleasantly surprised, beats the hell out of 'domestic' beers here! Who'd have expected such a nice brew in a discount supermarket? Nicely priced, too!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:51:44 AM by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Believer
Anyone tried this? - Wells Banana Bread Beer - It's a bit of a novelty but not pretty nice as a one off.

Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Hellrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he?
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Anyone tried this? - Wells Banana Bread Beer - It's a bit of a novelty but not pretty nice as a one off.

not a fan of it at all
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Few pints of 'Big Wave' Golden Ale on Monday Night in a beer garden.  Found it on draught and served in a lovely chilled glass.

Nice stuff. Not had it in a bottle yet but will defo get hold of some.

A really refreshing and tasty Golden ale. Almost Lager to be honest but without the gassiness.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Believer
  • Settle down Beavis
Few pints of 'Big Wave' Golden Ale on Monday Night in a beer garden.  Found it on draught and served in a lovely chilled glass.

Nice stuff. Not had it in a bottle yet but will defo get hold of some.

A really refreshing and tasty Golden ale. Almost Lager to be honest but without the gassiness.

Where was this mate? Love Golden/Blonde ales.

On a slightly more commercial note, HopHouse13 isn't at all bad.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Kona make some darn fine ales.

As for the Wells, not one for a session but a good one for a one off.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
There was an interesting article on Radio 4 yesterday about Belgium beers and brewing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b4zdnc

Offline wozzer

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Anyone on here got one of those Subs you put torps into? looks interesting ,just wondered if it was worth it?

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Believer
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
Anyone recommend a good craft beer monthly subscription?, I already have one with Flavourly, but for obvious reasons it doesn't last long (the beer is fantastic), wouldn't mind subscribing to another one each month.

I'd be interested in this too, like you I have the Flavourly sub but not too happy with it at the moment, too many light beers for me just lately (I have the mixed box) plus it went up a fiver a while back.

Brewdog do a great Monthly Bottlebox, 3 prices to choose from.

https://www.brewdog.com/bottlebox
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Hellrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he?
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer

Brewdog do a great Monthly Bottlebox, 3 prices to choose from.

https://www.brewdog.com/bottlebox
beerhawk always seem to have offers too

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay
  • Believer
Today’s the day for Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc vs. Hoegaarden Witbier. One in each half.  :hally
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is, along golf, much, much more important than that."

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Have been a relatively recent convert to the craft beer scene, as we just had a local wine shop/bar open and they also stock a good range of craft beer as well.

Really enjoying some of the stuff being produced by Cloudwater (although pricey!), Magic Rock, Verdant, Wild Beer company, and Gipsy Hill, any other recommendations on here?

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
Galway bay along with Teeling whiskey will be bringing out their annual batch of 200 fathoms very soon

whiskeyish chocolatey taste off it. about 9 quid a pop

500ml imperial stout around the 10% mark

ill be getting at least 3

they only bring about 800  a year out

still have one from last year
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:43:04 PM by Hellrazor »

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Think I've exhausted Beer52's selection after 6-8 months, fancy a change from craft ales/IPAs anyway.

Onto Beerwulf now, I've selected their 'Award Winners' box as I've only recently got into Belgian blonde/tripels. Fucking delicious stuff!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Have been a relatively recent convert to the craft beer scene, as we just had a local wine shop/bar open and they also stock a good range of craft beer as well.

Really enjoying some of the stuff being produced by Cloudwater (although pricey!), Magic Rock, Verdant, Wild Beer company, and Gipsy Hill, any other recommendations on here?

You’ll like the Wylam stuff I’d have thought based on that list. Very similar tastes to myself. Also get yourself a Trolltunga by Buxton and a Westbrook Gose if you like sours
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Not necessarily craft, but Hotel Chocolat's cocoa beers are quite nice and a pleasant little present to yourself after succumbing to their prices for other people's presents.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:02:10 PM by bradders1011 »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
Not necessarily craft, but Hotel Chocolat's cocoa beers and quite nice and a pleasant little present to yourself after succumbing to their prices for other people's presents.
hotel chocolat sells beer?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer. State of this profile. It’s like something you’d see on an Everton or Man Utd forum.
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
I only recently discovered Aldi supermarkets here in the States, and tried out their Wernesgrüner Pilsner. I was so pleasantly surprised, beats the hell out of 'domestic' beers here! Who'd have expected such a nice brew in a discount supermarket? Nicely priced, too!

Aldi are notorious (in a good way!) in Germany and the UK for their very good and well priced beer and wine.

Sadly in the part of the US I am stuck in, Aldi can't sell beer and wine.

Anyway, Kölsch - now THAT is a nice style brew.  8) 

Football always seems the most important of the least important things.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Believer
  • CHANT , CHANT . Just fucking CHANT. Om ♡
Aldi do the German brew Reinbacher. I stumbled across it one day last year . 2.99 for four cans and 99p a bottle. It's brewed according to the Purity Law too. Don't let the price put you off . It's nice.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

He who expects freedom of speech should allow others to speak .  Me - Now.

He who sees twats really is a twat themselves - Me - Now .

Offline kevlumley

• Believer
  • Forza Liverpool
My local has a beer and cider festival over Halloween. One that stood out for me was Twickenham ales, 'Saison', which i would say was very Belgian influenced and a nice tasting ale. I really enjoy this brewery, very consistent.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
You’ll like the Wylam stuff I’d have thought based on that list. Very similar tastes to myself. Also get yourself a Trolltunga by Buxton and a Westbrook Gose if you like sours

Thanks for the reccomendation, will have to investigate further, and I do always enjoy investigating beers further...

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Thanks for the reccomendation, will have to investigate further, and I do always enjoy investigating beers further...
Wylam are good. I sunk one of theirs (Freak Magnet) at the weekend and it was very nice.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite

If you can get any Mikkeller stuff then jump on it. I've not even scratched the surface of their beers but I've loved each one I've tried

What sort of beers are you into? If you'd try anything, look for Juice Springsteen by Alphabet. As the name suggests, it's... Juicy.

Seedling by Land & Labour is another interesting one I've had recently.

I find it hard to look past Beavertown beers (although they're not a craft brewer anymore and some of the more militant beer lovers would punch me for recommending them). Some good breweries here in Ireland now too. Galway Bay, Kinnegar, Hills Town, Lacada, White Hag, Whitewater...

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
If you can get any Mikkeller stuff then jump on it. I've not even scratched the surface of their beers but I've loved each one I've tried

What sort of beers are you into? If you'd try anything, look for Juice Springsteen by Alphabet. As the name suggests, it's... Juicy.

Seedling by Land & Labour is another interesting one I've had recently.

I find it hard to look past Beavertown beers (although they're not a craft brewer anymore and some of the more militant beer lovers would punch me for recommending them). Some good breweries here in Ireland now too. Galway Bay, Kinnegar, Hills Town, Lacada, White Hag, Whitewater...

Well I do like a Juicy pale Ale so that sounds like something I might like, I do have a soft sport for Beavertown's Gamma Ray myself.

Will normally end up with a Cloudwater DDH if I'm out for a drink and enjoying a few NEIPAs of late as well

• Kopite
Well I do like a Juicy pale Ale so that sounds like something I might like, I do have a soft sport for Beavertown's Gamma Ray myself.

Will normally end up with a Cloudwater DDH if I'm out for a drink and enjoying a few NEIPAs of late as well
ah good stuff. Assume you've tried Hazy Jane by Brewdog?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
ah good stuff. Assume you've tried Hazy Jane by Brewdog?

I have indeed, always a good choice at the Brewdog pubs!

Offline woz92

• Believer
This wins plenty of awards here in New Zealand. Has anyone tried?
YNWA 96

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Aldi do the German brew Reinbacher. I stumbled across it one day last year . 2.99 for four cans and 99p a bottle. It's brewed according to the Purity Law too. Don't let the price put you off . It's nice.

Gave it a try tonight (along with a taster pack of their Baileys knock-off) and it does do the job nicely. It actually tastes like lager, so can't whack it for £2.99.

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
i keep mentioning this beer

https://www.obrienswine.ie/blog/tag/200-fathoms/

its been released at last, now hop on it if it tickles your fancy

i just ordered 4. drinkstore and mchughs have some

id act quick. think they only bring out 800 a year

• Kopite
i keep mentioning this beer

https://www.obrienswine.ie/blog/tag/200-fathoms/

its been released at last, now hop on it if it tickles your fancy

i just ordered 4. drinkstore and mchughs have some

id act quick. think they only bring out 800 a year
My mate runs a bar/offie and he's trying to get me a couple of bottles. Unlikely to get it though, he was a bit late putting his name down for some.

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
My mate runs a bar/offie and he's trying to get me a couple of bottles. Unlikely to get it though, he was a bit late putting his name down for some.
mchughs have it on their site, drinkstore had it too

you can collect for free in drinkstore or get free delivery over 70

my dad used to smoke and i never did, he gave them up but still says one of the best feelings ever was a smoke he had one day tired after minding my sister as a baby

i know what he meant as last year the night before my new born son was coming home from hospital i cracked one of these open, first drink in weeks, my god it was good. i still have one left over from last year.

xmas eve i will down that and one of this years
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:35:44 AM by Hellrazor »

• Kopite
mchughs have it on their site, drinkstore had it too

you can collect for free in drinkstore or get free delivery over 70
Just registered with McHugh's there but it was gonna be €6 delivery (I'm in Derry) so I cancelled it. Ah well.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Believer
Got my craft beer advent calendar ready to go from tomorrow  ;D

Got it from Costco last couple years it's really good, albeit slightly over-priced. Good way to start to Christmas having averaged at least a bottle of beer since the beginning of December.

Offline Hellrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
Just registered with McHugh's there but it was gonna be €6 delivery (I'm in Derry) so I cancelled it. Ah well.
you might get one you never know

Got my craft beer advent calendar ready to go from tomorrow  ;D

Got it from Costco last couple years it's really good, albeit slightly over-priced. Good way to start to Christmas having averaged at least a bottle of beer since the beginning of December.
hmm with them i think id drink a few in one go, i dont think id bother opening one every day

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer

Definitely trying some of this.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • My nipples explode with delight
Canadian Cream Ale called Muskova.

Hoppy and floral and silky smooth in the mouth, one of the best beers I've drunk in a long while.

https://muskokabrewery.com/beer/cream-ale/