Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1600921 times)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #25400 on: July 13, 2015, 11:01:11 pm »
Been getting the finances in order for the last 6 months here and probably the rest of the year hence not a great deal of riding  >:(
but things are improving quite a bit.
Personal side of things are also on the up after a horrendous 12 months so all's good.
Hoping next year to be sorted and on the bike a lot more. Also i'll be looking at picking up a new bike next summer all being well  :)
Just applied for another job where i already work which is a decent increase if i were to be fortunate enough to get it.
No tour today and i'm off. Ain't that typical  ;D
:wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin :wellin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25401 on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:30 pm »
I like that specs stop flies and other insects going into your eyes.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25402 on: July 13, 2015, 11:14:29 pm »
I have considered this but loving the Fignon look.

Thanks Billy, I'll check them out.

Going bald with a ponytail?

Offline MrGrumpy

• Grumpy by name and nature. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25403 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:30 am »
I wear these.

Good to know Roy Orbison is alive and well
Shame on the English FA, South Yorkshire Police, and The Sun.

Justice for the 96!

Offline MrGrumpy

• Grumpy by name and nature. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25404 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:29 am »
Been getting the finances in order for the last 6 months here and probably the rest of the year hence not a great deal of riding  >:(
but things are improving quite a bit.
Personal side of things are also on the up after a horrendous 12 months so all's good.
Hoping next year to be sorted and on the bike a lot more. Also i'll be looking at picking up a new bike next summer all being well  :)
Just applied for another job where i already work which is a decent increase if i were to be fortunate enough to get it.
No tour today and i'm off. Ain't that typical  ;D

Not much of anything yesterday but good luck with the application.

Justice for the 96!

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25405 on: July 14, 2015, 10:06:48 am »
Since Sundays ride, I've noticed that my right hamstring has got tight.

As a precaution I have avoided doing any spinning at the gym and only doing cycling to warm up. Anything I can do to get rid of the tightness?

Justice for the 96!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25406 on: July 14, 2015, 10:10:13 am »
Anyone got onto this loon, he either owns or works in  the cycling cafe by Ainsdale Station, one of the lads was talking to him a few weeks ago and reckons he's a decent fella but he's been riding each stage of this years TdF on a chopper, the mad bastard http://teamchop.co.uk/
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #25407 on: July 14, 2015, 10:27:07 am »
I did watch women's fotball...but I've fallen out of love with football in all it's forms..I can't be arsed most of the time....I spent most of last season reading whilst watching our ganes out of the corner of my eye.

Maybe my lack of exposure to the game and it's circus this summer might help...I  wasn't aware we'd signed Clyne till a mate told me a week after he'd signed. ;D
Sounds like you need some rugby league in your life.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25408 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:59 am »
Lads. Any tips on how to get your riding confidence back after a few horrible offs and near misses?

I've lost all my mojo with my riding at the moment. I live and work in London and I feel that every time I go riding, there's a chance I won't come back with my heart beating and my brain inside my head. Been knocked off a couple of times now and had a few forced offs to save myself from going underneath the wheels of a van or a massive Chelsea tractor.

Haven't been on my bike for a couple of months now, it's just not in me at the moment. I know Blert had a horrible experience a while back and although our experiences are at opposite ends of the severity spectrum I guess it must have taken a big leap of faith to get back on the trusty steed (well, a new steed).

Anyone been in that situation before? Is it just a case of baby steps? Do a 10-mile ride round areas you know and then build it up bit by bit?

As a fellow Londoner who has had a few offs in the last few years, I only sympathize.

All I can advise is getting back on your bike as often as you can and stick to familiar safe rides e.g. the outer circle Regents Park to get yourself back in to the groove. After my last spill in the winter I was screaming in my head at the start of a couple of rides but I was fine after that.

Good luck.

Justice for the 96!

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25409 on: July 14, 2015, 10:31:24 am »
Lads. Any tips on how to get your riding confidence back after a few horrible offs and near misses?

I've lost all my mojo with my riding at the moment. I live and work in London and I feel that every time I go riding, there's a chance I won't come back with my heart beating and my brain inside my head. Been knocked off a couple of times now and had a few forced offs to save myself from going underneath the wheels of a van or a massive Chelsea tractor.

Haven't been on my bike for a couple of months now, it's just not in me at the moment. I know Blert had a horrible experience a while back and although our experiences are at opposite ends of the severity spectrum I guess it must have taken a big leap of faith to get back on the trusty steed (well, a new steed).

Anyone been in that situation before? Is it just a case of baby steps? Do a 10-mile ride round areas you know and then build it up bit by bit?

Watch the Froomster in action.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25410 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:55 am »

Riding in Central London is about as bad as it gets, can you get out of town and enjoy some country lanes

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #25411 on: July 14, 2015, 11:12:56 am »

As a precaution I have avoided doing any spinning at the gym and only doing cycling to warm up. Anything I can do to get rid of the tightness?
Stretches before and after has been recommended to me by a lad i know who is into muscle therapy etc. Here's his advice to me in detail:

Warm Down Stretches

After your training session/race has finished complete at least 2 laps warm down at a slow and steady pace.
All clothing should be loose fitting and should not restrict your movement
All stretches should be carried out in a slow and controlled manner holding each stretch for 6 Ė 10 seconds.
Stand with your feet hips width apart with your feet planted firmly on the ground and your toes pointing forward.

With your arms by your side and your face looking straight ahead gently move your head to one shoulder and hold.
Relax by returning your head to the centre.
Repeat this on the other side.

Do the same as above but this time stretch your arm on the opposite side down the side of your leg
(If you are moving your head to the left-hand side then stretch your right arm down)

Next take your right arm and hold it out in front of you, using your left hand placed on the outside of your right arm and gently pull it across the front of your body.
Repeat on the opposite side.

Take your right arm up and over your head and move the top of your body over to the left.
Return to an upright position and repeat on the opposite side.

Moving down to the legs and take your bodyweight over onto your right side stretching the inside of your left leg.  Repeat on the opposite leg.

Move your right leg one step in front of you, and transfer your body weight forward and resting your hands on your right knee, making sure that the heel on your left foot stays in contact with the ground.
Repeat on the opposite leg.

Sit down and bring your knees up towards your chest, let your knees gently open and place the base of your feet together.  Place your hands between your legs and gently take hold of your ankles, using your elbows gently push your legs out until you feel the stretch and hold.

Return to your sitting position.

Lie down on your back and take your right leg, bend it at the knee and place your hands on to your knee and gently pull this into your stomach, making sure that your left leg is in contact with the ground.  Relax by allowing it to return and then repeat this on your left leg.  When you have relaxed then do it to both legs at the same time.

Bring your right leg back, this time straightened and put your hands on the back of your leg, NOT YOUR KNEE, and gently pull this back.  Repeat on the left leg and then both together.

Bend your right leg with your foot on the ground, place your left foot across you right knee, place your left hand through legs and join it with your right hand, gently pull your right leg backwards.
Relax and repeat this on the other leg.

Turn onto your left-hand side.  Bend your right leg and take hold of your foot.  Making sure that your shoulder, hip and knee are in a straight line.  Gradually move your knee backwards.  DONíT PULL YOUR FOOT AS THIS ONLY PUTS PRESSURE ONTO YOUR KNEE.
Relax, turn over and repeat on the other leg.

Finally lie on your back.  Stretch your arms upwards and try to touch an imaginary wall at the same time as pointing your toes forward to try to touch another imaginary wall.
Relax, take a few moments before you get up as any sudden movement may result in you feeling dizzy.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #25412 on: July 14, 2015, 11:41:05 am »

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #25413 on: July 14, 2015, 12:04:27 pm »

It's hard to say really as we are all different,when I got knocked off by a BMW driver a couple of years ago it didn't really effect me and 20 mins later I rode 18km home.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25414 on: July 14, 2015, 12:16:51 pm »
It's hard to say really as we are all different,when I got knocked off by a BMW driver a couple of years ago it didn't really effect me and 20 mins later I rode 18km home.

I got pushed off my bike by one of them dickheads last summer, knocked me out.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #25415 on: July 14, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »

Get rid of the root cause, don't ride in the centre of London. Get you and your bike out into a less populated area and cycle where there is less traffic.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25416 on: July 14, 2015, 01:17:45 pm »

Walk it off..... ;D  Seriously. How much walking or running do you do? As we all know the hamstrings on cyclists can be and invariably are shorter than other athletes as they contract at the knee and hang loose at the hip due to your position on the bike. The upper ham's are looser and weaker because of this and the lower ham's are bent and this can lead to the lower part to become shortened and tight. Walking and running will alleviate this imbalance.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25417 on: July 14, 2015, 01:23:18 pm »

As a fellow Londoner who has had a few offs in the last few years, I only sympathize.

All I can advise is getting back on your bike as often as you can and stick to familiar safe rides e.g. the outer circle Regents Park to get yourself back in to the groove. After my last spill in the winter I was screaming in my head at the start of a couple of rides but I was fine after that.

Good luck.
I don't think about it...shit happens and we deal with it...all differently I know...so with that in mind...see the bolded part of the above post...that was what I was going to suggest. Leisurely laps around a park or closed bike only area until you regain your confidence...good luck la...I know it's a tad unnerving when you get knocked off.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25418 on: July 14, 2015, 03:02:07 pm »

The price of property these days down the smoke I suggest you sell your 1 bedroom flat for the going rate, probably in the region of £3million to £5million and buy a nice big house up in Northumberland, complete with about 6 thousand acres of land for less than £1million and pedal round that as much as you like.

I'll pop up and keep you company during your rides if you like    :wave

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25419 on: July 14, 2015, 03:03:53 pm »
The price of property these days down the smoke I suggest you sell your 1 bedroom flat for the going rate, probably in the region of £3million to £5million and buy a nice big house up in Northumberland, complete with about 6 thousand acres of land for less than £1million and pedal round that as much as you like.

:lmao brilliant!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25420 on: July 14, 2015, 03:44:48 pm »

Ho'way man!

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25421 on: July 14, 2015, 04:51:20 pm »

Please, once you have lived in London you would struggle to adapt to Newcastle. We wear clothes in winter for example.

Justice for the 96!

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25422 on: July 14, 2015, 07:36:50 pm »
No real advice here Shane, but maybe ride with other people? If they can do it, so can you. :)

Not been run over yet, long may it continue.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25423 on: July 14, 2015, 07:42:24 pm »
Off to Wales in the morning....nice day...abar 180 and close to 13000 feet..got's to be easier than watching the TDF. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century this girl does two together
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25424 on: July 14, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »
Less painful.

You always seem to get good weather, its supppsed to clear up tomorrow. Any predictions for the weekend?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25425 on: July 14, 2015, 07:55:07 pm »
Less painful.

You always seem to get good weather, its supppsed to clear up tomorrow. Any predictions for the weekend?
Woram I like...Nostradamus of the forecast. ;)

Saturday's a bust...Sunday's good to go.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25426 on: July 14, 2015, 07:56:45 pm »
Woram I like...Nostradamus of the forecast. ;)

Saturday's a bust...Sunday's good to go.
Sweet. Will get my waterproofs. :wave

Offline dave 5516

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25427 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »
Sweet. Will get my waterproofs. :wave
You working again, Saturday? It's supposed to be pretty windy too on Saturday....scratch the above..it's now forecast to be warm and sunny with a high of 63f....still a tad windy at 16/17 mph from the west south west.

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25428 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:43 pm »
Here's a very unflattering pic of me (In British heart foundation kit) smashing a Team Sky fullkitwanker during the London to Brighton

Anyone familiar with Milton Keynes will notice my mate in Roy Pink cycles kit

Offline dave 5516

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25429 on: July 14, 2015, 09:12:55 pm »
Stage previews up.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25430 on: July 14, 2015, 09:33:44 pm »
Please, once you have lived in London you would struggle to adapt to Newcastle. We wear clothes in winter for example.
Southern softies springs to mind.   :)

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25431 on: July 14, 2015, 11:04:36 pm »
You working again, Saturday? It's supposed to be pretty windy too on Saturday....scratch the above..it's now forecast to be warm and sunny with a high of 63f....still a tad windy at 16/17 mph from the west south west.

Hoping not too, and just going for a ride somewhere nicer. But forgot that i checked earlier and saw the wind...

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow :wave

Offline dave 5516

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25432 on: July 15, 2015, 04:47:06 am »
Hoping not too, and just going for a ride somewhere nicer. But forgot that i checked earlier and saw the wind...

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow :wave
Ta la.

It's weird getting more than 2 hours sleep and having a semi leisurely breakfast....last few rides I've been on the road for 2 or 3 hours already at this hour. ;D

Have a good day , mate..all y'all's too.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25433 on: July 15, 2015, 07:26:50 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wOur8qXvpnk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wOur8qXvpnk</a>

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25434 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:31 am »
Beautiful day and under 2:30 to work this morning, made up.

Enjoy the day all and get out if you can :wave

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25435 on: July 15, 2015, 09:58:37 am »
Southern softies springs to mind.   :)

That's what a lifetime of using inside toilets does to you. :)

Justice for the 96!

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25436 on: July 15, 2015, 11:07:11 am »
past Biggin Hill
Say hello to Dougie Bader for me...

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25437 on: July 15, 2015, 06:01:46 pm »
Just had to give statements to the police after some knobhead overtook us shouting abuse cut in and knocked one of the lads off his bike, bike totalled, road rash and sore ribs, lucky wasn't him totalled. Got his numberplate he didn't stop then came back later after we told him what we thought let the busies deal with him. Knob

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #25438 on: July 15, 2015, 06:25:26 pm »
Just had to give statements to the police after some knobhead overtook us shouting abuse cut in and knocked one of the lads off his bike, bike totalled, road rash and sore ribs, lucky wasn't him totalled. Got his numberplate he didn't stop then came back later after we told him what we thought let the busies deal with him. Knob

Hope the lad is ok, shocking that but sadly all too common on the roads now. Hope the prick gets what he deserves although I applaud your restraint for not knocking the fuck out of him.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25439 on: July 15, 2015, 07:06:01 pm »

Good your mate is ok, hope the c*nt in the car gets a ban and a charge for assault.

Justice for the 96!