Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 977073 times)

Offline zip

• Believer
  • That was liquid football!
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #7720 on: March 7, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
We are in pretty good shape. Ignore the press and Sky Sports. We have a realistic shot at the double and thats what we should aim for. Targetting league and big ears.  It honestly might be a while before we get that chance at the double just as it now sits. I hope we donít settle for ďjustĒ the League. OK we can miss either or both, thats football. But we should drive now to win both. It is realistic. We are right with City in league and beat Munich and we have as much chance of the double as City. This should be the mindset.
Is right!
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7721 on: March 7, 2019, 10:15:45 AM »
Bottling..

Heard a bit about this on Press Box on LFCTV when discussing the title race. So went and looked it up.

Mancini and Man City "bottled" their title challenge in 2011/12. This was their first title in 44 years. So imagine the press and the angst of City supporters during this stretch:
30th match Drew with Stoke Away
31st match Drew with Sunderland Home
32nd match lost to Arsenal away.

8 points dropped in three consecutive matches down the stretch. Chasing the vaunted Man Utd, who don't bottle title challenges.

They went on to win their final 6 matches and won with Aguero's goal in time added on.

Man Utd, now 8 points ahead at the time with only 6 matches left, on the other hand lost to Wigan away the 33rd match of the season. Which they were massive favorites to beat as they had kept five clean sheets in a row prior to this match. And then drew with Everton the 35th match at home, another side they were favorites to beat. Those five dropped points allowed City to get to 3 points behind United and then City beat United match day 36 with two more matches left in the season to go top on goal difference. A Man Utd side managed by Fergie who never bottled a championship race in his life.

Just pointing this out because there are more twists and turns left this season to see who wins the League.  :wave

Good post.

Twists and turns is correct. Enjoy the ride!

Offline Jm55

• Would drive you round the bend but his car won't start.
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7722 on: March 7, 2019, 10:17:51 AM »
To be fair, we still remember the 08/09 and 13/14 seasons. I actually think we will remember this season less if we dont win ut because those seasons were punchuated with a huge element of surprise that we were competing, some immense individual performances (Suarez) and a number of stand out results (5-1 against Arsenal, the 4-0 against Everton, 3-0 and 4-1ís at Old Trafford, 4-0 against Madrid).

At the end of the day though you just have to accept it. Our aim was to improve and we did that and if we fall short to what is possibly the greatest Premier League side then it is what it is. We have to improve again and challenge next year.

We do remember them mate yeah, but each time it happens, for me at least, it becomes more and more crushing.

No doubt someone will quote me and tell me to support the team and itís not done or whatever, but itís oossible to do both things at once. Currently I see a team who had the chance to go 10 clear, then 7, then dropped from 5 to being 1 behind. Weíve scored twice away in the league since 2019 and the facts are itís going to take an up change in our form to win this title. It does obviously help that weíve got easier away games now.

But there is only so many times we can keep going close and failing until people will start to lose faith in that ever changing.

Offline just redk84 will do

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7723 on: March 7, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
Bottling..

Heard a bit about this on Press Box on LFCTV when discussing the title race. So went and looked it up.

Mancini and Man City "bottled" their title challenge in 2011/12. This was their first title in 44 years. So imagine the press and the angst of City supporters during this stretch:
30th match Drew with Stoke Away
31st match Drew with Sunderland Home
32nd match lost to Arsenal away.

8 points dropped in three consecutive matches down the stretch. Chasing the vaunted Man Utd, who don't bottle title challenges.

They went on to win their final 6 matches and won with Aguero's goal in time added on.

Man Utd, now 8 points ahead at the time with only 6 matches left, on the other hand lost to Wigan away the 33rd match of the season. Which they were massive favorites to beat as they had kept five clean sheets in a row prior to this match. And then drew with Everton the 35th match at home, another side they were favorites to beat. Those five dropped points allowed City to get to 3 points behind United and then City beat United match day 36 with two more matches left in the season to go top on goal difference. A Man Utd side managed by Fergie who never bottled a championship race in his life.

Just pointing this out because there are more twists and turns left this season to see who wins the League.  :wave

This is a great post.
For me, this is a great post especially because I initially thought, "yeah well the teams are a lot better now and either us or City would be much better than that version of City or United if you were to airdrop us into that season at that time"

Which maybe true, but impossible to say for sure.

What I did look up though was the points tally after 29 games:

United - 70 points
City - 69 points

Literally no difference to what we're seeing this season.
So yeah the twists and turns that happened that time around can easily happen this time around too....this maybe a City team that have taken 100 points last season but this season they are not that team. We are different this season. Every nuance to this league is different this season and anything can still happen

Its the waiting between games that's the hard bit  ;D
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline a treeless whopper

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas
  • Believer
« Reply #7724 on: March 7, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
We do remember them mate yeah, but each time it happens, for me at least, it becomes more and more crushing.

No doubt someone will quote me and tell me to support the team and itís not done or whatever, but itís oossible to do both things at once. Currently I see a team who had the chance to go 10 clear, then 7, then dropped from 5 to being 1 behind. Weíve scored twice away in the league since 2019 and the facts are itís going to take an up change in our form to win this title. It does obviously help that weíve got easier away games now.

But there is only so many times we can keep going close and failing until people will start to lose faith in that ever changing.

City have clocked up an amazing run of form. They have won all but one game since they lost to Leicester in December. We may have lost points but we were going at an insane pace and we havent been able to sustain it. People have to just accept that fact that sides dont usually clock up this many points and what we have seen is some normalising take place.

As for losing faith, we hardly have done anything to warrant that. We challenged for a title in 08/09, 5 years later in 13/14 and then 4 years later. So in the best part of a decade, 3 title challenges. Its hardly us getting pipped to the post now is it?

We need to challenge again next season and then the season after that. If we keep coming a close second then fair enough but sorry I dont accept a world where all we get is 3 goes a decade.

Offline just redk84 will do

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7725 on: March 7, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »

Support the team. Its not done.  ;)

But I know what you mean....I think what may make you feel better however is the thought that Klopp is building a team that is capable of sustained success not a one-off challenge. We will already be better next season with Ox back, Keita a season better, Gomez back and then whatever we do in the summer...
Last times we challenged we fell off a cliff the next season. I am hoping that is not the case in 2019/2020.

As for our form away. Yeah it aint great recently but we've had City, West Ham, Brighton, Utd, Everton - some of the toughest you'll have in any season.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7726 on: March 7, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »

There's a lot of truth in your posts, of course there is. I've been called a superfan here just yesterday for the post you quoted, but I'm not so blinkered by my love for Jurgen's trickiest of reds that I can't see the possibility for failure. But amidst all this, I was reminded a little of one of my favorite ever posts on RAWK. The post in full, by someone who doesn't bother with these time absorbing boards anymore, came in the wake of THAT Crystal Palace game in 2014 but there was one particular part that will always stick with me:

Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

And that's what this year will boil down to for me. Like it might all go to shit again, fuck it we're liverpool in the 2010's so it almost certainly will. But that doesn't make the journey less fun. That doesn't diminish 'the ride', for me. This season I've been to games with mates, on my own and have even had the amazing experience of taking my godson to his first game. I've been totally absorbed in football like I've not been in years. It'll be proper, proper shit if it ends with nothing yet again, but I'm steeling myself for that now and just trying to enjoy what's left. And whilst that creeping doubt is probably as bad as it's been all year at the minute, I'm not getting off this ride just yet. And I don't expect it to come crashing down next year like it did in 09 or 14. 
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7727 on: March 7, 2019, 10:47:33 AM »
Annoying that Utd got through and have a midweek game before the City game. Suppose it could go both ways, Chelsea rotated and won at Anfield that time so hoping it Spurs the twats on to get a result.
ďIf you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.Ē - muhammad ali

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #7728 on: March 7, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
It also has the potential to be a midweek game against us!

Annoying that Utd got through and have a midweek game before the City game. Suppose it could go both ways, Chelsea rotated and won at Anfield that time so hoping it Spurs the twats on to get a result.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #7729 on: March 7, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
I'll be honest, I've been feeling a bit blue (no pun intended) since the Everton result. I still think this Liverpool side are well capable of winning this league but the fact we lost our lead with a draw at f**king Goodison did my head in.

Though this morning I just had this real moment of clarity that come 3pm on Sunday, we could be top again if City don't beat Watford. Made me remember how close this actually is.

Bang up for the run-in now. Can't wait for Sunday.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7730 on: March 7, 2019, 01:36:04 PM »

Or they may not rotate since they will still be in a battle with two teams for a top 4 place.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7731 on: March 7, 2019, 02:03:01 PM »
Is right!
So can we change thread title to Chasing the Double? 

Címon?

Online Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Believer
« Reply #7732 on: March 7, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
Weíve scored twice away in the league since 2019 and the facts are itís going to take an up change in our form to win this title.

It's the manner in which we've not scored that is crushing. A defensive-minded Man U, that was totally disrupted with 3 forced subs in the 1st half and their CF hobbling, and we sat back playing timid football. We played a pretty awful Everton team, whose confidence was paper-thin, and we went with a defensive-minded midfield, played timid football, and all this allowed them to grow into the game, then we made some peculiar substitutions that gave us nothing.

This on the back of two fear-laden and very poor displays against two mid-table teams (one at home).

No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries than the team that had dominated pretty much every PL team we'd met up till the end of 2018. But then, we destroyed two other teams in amongst the poor run. We've become a real Jekyll & Hyde team.
Trump on Jeffrey Epstein:
"Iíve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. Heís a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it ó Jeffrey enjoys his social life."

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Believer
« Reply #7733 on: March 7, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »

It's the manner in which we've not scored that is crushing. A defensive-minded Man U, that was totally disrupted with 3 forced subs in the 1st half and their CF hobbling, and we sat back playing timid football. We played a pretty awful Everton team, whose confidence was paper-thin, and we went with a defensive-minded midfield, played timid football, and all this allowed them to grow into the game, then we made some peculiar substitutions that gave us nothing.

This on the back of two fear-laden and very poor displays against two mid-table teams (one at home).

No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries than the team that had dominated pretty much every PL team we'd met up till the end of 2018. But then, we destroyed two other teams in amongst the poor run. We've become a real Jekyll & Hyde team.

:lmao

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #7734 on: March 7, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Not sure how drawing 4 games and winning 4 games since the turn of the year is relegation form.

Is it good considering our previous run and what we're trying to do? No of course not, at the same time, relegation form?

I give u p

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • Believer
« Reply #7735 on: March 7, 2019, 02:44:27 PM »
I'm sick of the we had a chance to go ten clear narrative. It's as if beating city was a given. People are way too obsessed with given moments and what might have been. Counting runs of form over blocks of five or ten matches is bullshit too. If city hadn't blown leads in easy games they'd be running away with it now don't ya know.
 The only block that ultimately matters is 38. If we lose the league ( and my head says we will) it'll be because over 38 games we didn't get enough points. We went clear when we had a great run of form and city had their one slump over two seasons. There's a good chance we'll get over ninety points. Had we no slump lately we'd be on for a possible 100. Do people really believe this is the greatest ever league team?

They're a brilliant team and I can only see improvement next year. I'm braced for the disappointment but still holding hope on two fronts. This is a terrific time to be a Liverpool supporter. I'd advise folks to enjoy it. It won't always be this much fun.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann
  • Believer
« Reply #7736 on: March 7, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »

Good grief! The state of some our so-called fans  :duh
ďAbove all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say, 'We're Liverpool'.Ē
by the great man, Bill Shankly!

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Kopite
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #7737 on: March 7, 2019, 02:48:30 PM »

Címon?

In my head we've been in for the Double ever since we beat Napoli. Why the fuck not?!

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7738 on: March 7, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

This is too good. I'm having it.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Believer
« Reply #7739 on: March 7, 2019, 03:01:03 PM »

Címon?
Should be: "Chasing City"..

You know- just for a bit of punishment. We were bad boys and girls and so now- we have to sit in a corner and think about what we've done to deserve this and how bad behavior will not go unpunished by the mgods. When we lead, we can change it to "Chasing the Double" and when we're in the Finals and still leading in the league, we just go: "It's On!"
« Last Edit: March 7, 2019, 03:56:31 PM by the_red_pill »
Let's drink to him once more. He was a good Stalker.
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline lfc_col

• Believer
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #7740 on: March 7, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
Why are people giving up seriously where still well in this
We Won It Six Times

Poetry in motion tra la la la la

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Believer
  • Barnes & Mcmahon heavily involved again
« Reply #7741 on: March 7, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »
Bring it on, I prefer a straight fight
I have drummed it into our players time and again that they are privileged to play for you & if they didn't believe me then they believe me now!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7742 on: March 7, 2019, 06:08:24 PM »
Bring it on, I prefer a straight fight

Well I like all this sneaking around.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Believer
  • Barnes & Mcmahon heavily involved again
« Reply #7743 on: March 7, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
Well I like all this sneaking around.
who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
I have drummed it into our players time and again that they are privileged to play for you & if they didn't believe me then they believe me now!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #7744 on: March 7, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »
No one's "bottled" anything, for goodness sake. This is a fans' discussion forum and what we discuss here has no effect on anything. People can talk about next season if they like.

People can talk about next season. In another thread.

This is about chasing the title for this season. Summer transfers and next season have nothing to do with the here and now. Does it?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Believer
« Reply #7745 on: March 7, 2019, 07:18:26 PM »
Why are people giving up seriously where still well in this
Who's giving up?

Offline lfc_col

• Believer
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #7746 on: March 7, 2019, 07:51:49 PM »
Who's giving up?

Just seems like it we still have a great chance
We Won It Six Times

Poetry in motion tra la la la la

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Main Stander
« Reply #7747 on: March 7, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
Fergie once used the term Devon Loch when it came to bottling, we this season or in 2013-14 have not done a Devon Loch. NOWHERE CLOSE.

Whether we win the league or not this season I will be proud of our boys. If we don't win, it won't be because we bottled it, it's because City were the team with the most points.

No bottling, no Hollywood narratives - we were just not good enough.

Ohhh if there was one word I could erase from football...

Offline kezzy

• Main Stander
« Reply #7748 on: March 7, 2019, 08:21:22 PM »
City are being investigated by UEFA.  Pity the FA havenít got the balls to do the same ay.  It would make our job easier to win the league if them cheating Cnuts got docked ten points.   :D

Offline naka

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7749 on: March 7, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
Who's giving up?
Most fans I chat with believe we are in the thick of it.
If we win our games we will win the league
I canít see City winning at palace, Burnley and United
If they do then fair play.
 Hopefully Brighton need points on the  last day as well

Offline riismeister

• Believer
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #7750 on: March 7, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wMnF5u-MEUQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wMnF5u-MEUQ</a>

Online Korbflechter

• Kemlynite
« Reply #7751 on: March 7, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
Just one opponent left that we haven't beaten this season. Shows what we are capable of. But we so need to step our game up and finally find our form again. It felt like we haven't even tried to play our football most times this year and I can't wrap my head around as to why that is. No patience on the ball, too much patience against it and just so many sloppy passes and bad positioning/decisions.
I'm fully convinced the lads are going to leave their heart and soul out on the pitch and just hope they play to their potential as well. That's all we need for no. 19 (well, that and a slip-up from City of course). Just don't know how much that is to ask right now...

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer