Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1403591 times)

Online latortuga

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8720 on: March 23, 2019, 03:15:29 pm »
I haven't read anywhere else, but the problem we could have is that we are not playing City when they are tired in this climax. If we did then I believe we would've killed them off with our extra energy. You keep hearing we are going to be livelier but we are not playing them. There's no use us being livelier when City's opposition is half dead.

We say they are tired and we count Spurs to help us. But they're extremely tired too. What about Manutd? They got the UCL and played in the FA Cup up to the qf so they'd be tired too. So when will they play a team who's not only energetic to hunt them down but also plays fearless football to attack their weaknesses? Otherwise it'd be just like their recent games with tired City v tired opposition or opposition resting their players and not willing to risk stretching themselves? Our hope may lie with the relegation candidates.

You're right, of course all players are tired near the end of the season.  Where the difference will lie is in the recovery between games where shorter periods of time compound the effect of a long season.  Most of the teams they'll be playing in the league will have 5-6 days recovery vs. 2-4 for City every game if they continue to progress in the UCL. 

I have no doubt that City will continue to dominate the ball against every opponent, we shouldn't expect this to change.  It will come down to whether their players can find energy to make sprints and work hard to create chances.  I think we've already seen signs of a less potent City against Bournemouth and Watford after a recent pile up of fixtures. 

I agree though on the Tottenham game which I'll be expecting Tottenham to do nothing for us in.  The turn around from 2nd leg in the UCL to league game is ~24hrs which is brutal.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #8721 on: March 23, 2019, 03:38:43 pm »
That flick from Dalglish for Neil's goal is fantastic.
You also forget how good a player Hansen was and how attacking, he gets so far forward on every attack!
I remember it well. The defender behind him tries to be clever by moving forward to cut out the obvious pass. Kenny spots it with his arse eyes, so let's the ball slightly roll past him and back heels it behind the forward moving defender, and it's also hit a bit slower so Neal has time to reach it. It was a typically hilarious Kennyism, where someone actually thought they were one step ahead of him - much tittering in the crowd.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:40:23 pm by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #8722 on: March 23, 2019, 07:17:41 pm »
The 0-0 at Everton was the first competitive game back I think. And West Ham was 5-1, think they scored late which reduced Arsenal’s required target by one.
it was and what a place to play it.  Watched it on YouTube the other night. It was hard to get excited about the game.  The chants of Merseyside Merseyside before the minutes silence have me goosebumps
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8723 on: March 23, 2019, 07:23:35 pm »
it was and what a place to play it.  Watched it on YouTube the other night. It was hard to get excited about the game.  The chants of Merseyside Merseyside before the minutes silence have me goosebumps
It was live on ITV on ‘The Match’ on a school night. I was allowed to stay up until half time. Remember it well, both keepers making great saves, Southall in particular down low and Aldo couldn’t quite get the rebound.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Soucolorado

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8724 on: March 24, 2019, 12:49:20 pm »
We’ve had so many “important games of the season” but it’s now all about  the Spurs game. If we get a win then the possibility of winning all our remaining games becomes very real.

A win against Spurs and City dropping points before the United game will put us in the driving seat, with a lighter fixture list a distinct advantage.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8725 on: March 24, 2019, 02:21:44 pm »
Are we there yet...
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8726 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:37 pm »
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8727 on: March 24, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »
Actually for the first time in forever, the international break has been great, give me head a rest from all the permutations and expectations :D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8728 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:09 pm »
Actually for the first time in forever, the international break has been great, give me head a rest from all the permutations and expectations :D

Yep. That Fulham game, for the 7 or 8 minutes until we scored, I think I contemplated the meaning of life, whilst sweating loads and having panic attacks.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8729 on: March 24, 2019, 05:55:03 pm »
Yep. That Fulham game, for the 7 or 8 minutes until we scored, I think I contemplated the meaning of life, whilst sweating loads and having panic attacks.

Same here, I've aged loads this season  ;D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8730 on: March 24, 2019, 10:14:18 pm »
Don't think I can cope if it goes to the final game of the season.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #8731 on: March 24, 2019, 10:35:11 pm »
Fancy us to really do Spurs on Sunday. We need that early / first goal against them see how they react. If we score first we need to keep pushing them they are always a dodgy penalty/scrawny goal away from spoiling the party
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8732 on: March 25, 2019, 08:21:23 am »
We’ve had so many “important games of the season” but it’s now all about  the Spurs game. If we get a win then the possibility of winning all our remaining games becomes very real.

A win against Spurs and City dropping points before the United game will put us in the driving seat, with a lighter fixture list a distinct advantage.
Weirdly, I actually prefer to be chasing, with a 1 point deficit, at this stage.
City's under tremendous pressure, I'm sure of it- cause they know that one slip and the title's over. Similarily for us, but we have something to gain, which propels us.

The difference is something like City sometimes going into games with the mindset/fear of "not losing", but we going into games with the mindset of wanting "to win". That's a powerful difference in approach as we all well know.

An example would be how the Spurs fixture is going to be approach by the both of us, I would imagine. We will go in there intent on winning, while City will go in there wanting not to lose. You start out with doubt- or at least teetering on the edge of doubt.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:34:50 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8733 on: March 25, 2019, 09:17:00 am »
I don't think we'll win every game, but I don't think City will either. I do think they'll drop points in more than 1 game though, and that'll be enough for us to win the league against Wolves.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8734 on: March 25, 2019, 09:25:18 am »
Biggest 3 weeks right ahead now.  Spurs/Southampton/Chelsea,  with the 2 Porto games thrown in.  If we can win the three league games (thankfully 2 are at home), and win over 2 legs v Porto.....   

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8735 on: March 25, 2019, 10:38:46 am »
Biggest 3 weeks right ahead now.  Spurs/Southampton/Chelsea,  with the 2 Porto games thrown in.  If we can win the three league games (thankfully 2 are at home), and win over 2 legs v Porto.....

I don't see us winning all three. Those are 3 tricky games. I think we will at least draw one. It would be a massive setback,City aren't dropping any points in the same time period. We would just have to keep our heads and get back to winning. We then need City to drop points in 2 games, which I'm not sure will happen, especially if its within touching distance, which it would be.

On the other hand, win those 3, we will win the league. City will drop points in one game i'd imagine, somewhere in among the congestion in April and games against United and Spurs. I think we would have what it takes to win the remaining 4 games if we get past the next 3. We might not even need to. If City drop points and we go ahead, I can see them dropping more points - especially if they are still in the CL.

We have played within ourselves a lot of the time this season I feel (strange thing to say when top and on course for best season ever, I know). Hopefully now these extra weeks off and warm weather training camps will pay off. We need go up a gear now if we want to win the league.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8736 on: March 25, 2019, 10:56:45 am »
I don't see us winning all three. Those are 3 tricky games. I think we will at least draw one. It would be a massive setback,City aren't dropping any points in the same time period. We would just have to keep our heads and get back to winning. We then need City to drop points in 2 games, which I'm not sure will happen, especially if its within touching distance, which it would be.

On the other hand, win those 3, we will win the league. City will drop points in one game i'd imagine, somewhere in among the congestion in April and games against United and Spurs. I think we would have what it takes to win the remaining 4 games if we get past the next 3. We might not even need to. If City drop points and we go ahead, I can see them dropping more points - especially if they are still in the CL.

We have played within ourselves a lot of the time this season I feel (strange thing to say when top and on course for best season ever, I know). Hopefully now these extra weeks off and warm weather training camps will pay off. We need go up a gear now if we want to win the league.

I agree with this. The timing of dropped points could be crucial. If we drop points before City the pressure will ease off them as they know they can afford to lose a game and still be top. But on the other hand if we can win our next two the pressure on City will be ramped up with their tough run of games in April, knowing one mistake and the ball is back in our court.

The Spurs game is massive and possibly our toughest test left. 3 points would put us in a great position but would also benefit us as it drags Spurs even further into the race for 4th, meaning they will need to go to the Etihad in a few weeks and try to get something.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #8737 on: March 25, 2019, 11:33:38 am »
The Spurs game is a massive worry for me with it being the first game back after the Intl break. Yet its the same for Spurs but i feel this is a game where the crowd need to really turn the place into a hostile fortress as i think this game will be the difference between a strong confident finish in both competitions or the heads dropping a little after such a monumnetal effort all season!

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8738 on: March 25, 2019, 11:58:33 am »
The Spurs game is a massive worry for me with it being the first game back after the Intl break. Yet its the same for Spurs but i feel this is a game where the crowd need to really turn the place into a hostile fortress as i think this game will be the difference between a strong confident finish in both competitions or the heads dropping a little after such a monumnetal effort all season!

Until City drop points in 2 games in a row and we win our games, its going to be this way for the rest of the season. The Southampton game after the Spurs game will be our most important, then Chelsea, then the next. Thats how it is in title challenges. Especially ones this close.

Spurs are the strongest team we have left to play, but for some reason Chelsea worry me more. We should beat both at home though since we need to. Southampton away is just as much a worry for me. Seem to have improved of recent, to my memory. Get 9 out of 9 from those 3, I'd make us favourites. Massive, massive ask though.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:00:50 pm by deano2727 »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8739 on: March 25, 2019, 12:09:58 pm »
The Spurs game is a massive worry for me with it being the first game back after the Intl break. Yet its the same for Spurs but i feel this is a game where the crowd need to really turn the place into a hostile fortress as i think this game will be the difference between a strong confident finish in both competitions or the heads dropping a little after such a monumental effort all season!

The crowd will be up for it, that won't be an issue. It's not an early kick off match and it's a huge game, so the crowd is the least of our worries.

Most of our players have played their last game yesterday. They'll have a week almost to prepare.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8740 on: March 25, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »
Henderson is a doubt fort this weekend as he is a doubt for today's match against Montenegro, no word on what the injury/issue is.

Tottenham also have injury concerns with Dier,Aurier and Ali.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #8741 on: March 26, 2019, 12:29:45 pm »
I know stats and form mean nothing but ...... Spurs have lost their last 3 away PL games.  For a team in 3rd, to go and lose 4 on the spin would be very unusual.  I fear a draw come Sunday.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8742 on: March 26, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »
I know stats and form mean nothing but ...... Spurs have lost their last 3 away PL games.  For a team in 3rd, to go and lose 4 on the spin would be very unusual.  I fear a draw come Sunday.

I have the same fear.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8743 on: March 26, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »
Southampton away on April 5th is the game I can see us coming unstuck in. Have had this horrible feeling for a few weeks that this is a game we’ll lose. Obviously hope I’m wrong but not looking forward to that one at all.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #8744 on: March 26, 2019, 02:40:00 pm »

I think we'll put 4 past them. Real marker down for the run-in. Onwards.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #8745 on: March 26, 2019, 02:57:05 pm »
They'll likely be fourth by Monday night though, so...

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #8746 on: March 27, 2019, 10:09:17 am »
I think City will drop points on Saturday :-)

RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #8747 on: March 27, 2019, 10:23:00 am »
I think City will drop points on Saturday :-)
I can't see it personally but you never know, imagine the atmosphere at Anfield on Sunday if they drop points on the Saturday.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8748 on: March 27, 2019, 10:40:06 am »
I can't see it personally but you never know, imagine the atmosphere at Anfield on Sunday if they drop points on the Saturday.

Its that tricky time of season isn't it when knowing the result of our opponent can have a material effect on how we play - if they lose or draw, do we drop our levels because of that or if they win, do we up our levels....I know it isn't meant to be like that, but human nature and what has gone on previously in the season suggests that come what may, none of this run in is going to be straight forward.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8749 on: March 27, 2019, 10:50:18 am »
Its that tricky time of season isn't it when knowing the result of our opponent can have a material effect on how we play - if they lose or draw, do we drop our levels because of that or if they win, do we up our levels....I know it isn't meant to be like that, but human nature and what has gone on previously in the season suggests that come what may, none of this run in is going to be straight forward.

The great thing is they're looking up at us now. So they know going into the game they can't drop points, it just adds that little bit of pressure to things. The key with city as we've seen is things to be level or there only to be a goal in it around the 70 mins mark. If that's ever the case they'll start to doubt themselves and the other team can push on a bit.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #8750 on: March 27, 2019, 10:53:52 am »
The only slight glimmer of hope is that it is a 12:30 Saturday away game straight after an International break which is not ideal.  I’d still expect City to win though.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8751 on: March 27, 2019, 11:19:10 am »
It’s good to hear that we finally have a fully fit squad, bar a couple of minor niggles for Trent and Shaqiri. Will be vital to have as many options as possible for the final phase, hopefully the majority stay fit until the end and we’re not down to bare bones again by the CL final.

Feeling very optimistic that we’ll have a trophy at the end of it all.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8752 on: March 27, 2019, 11:20:13 am »
The only slight glimmer of hope is that it is a 12:30 Saturday away game straight after an International break which is not ideal.  I’d still expect City to win though.

You never know, you really don't. Fulham is obviously pretty garbage this season but they have some good players and their new
manager will want to get some sort of scalp.

Plus Ryan Babel has red hair, so it's kind of written in the stars (he can celebrate his goals this time as well!)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #8753 on: March 27, 2019, 11:20:15 am »

I'd be amazed if City don't win.

Fulham are a pretty poor side. They have 15 points from 15 home games and have conceded an average of 2 goals per game at home and only scored 19
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8754 on: March 27, 2019, 11:28:32 am »

Be a comfortable City  win that. The only game I see them potentially  dropping points in is against United. And they are more than capable of going there and giving United a good pasting.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8755 on: March 27, 2019, 11:31:16 am »
Be a comfortable City  win that. The only game I see them potentially  dropping points in is against United. And they are more than capable of going there and giving United a good pasting.

That's the spirit  ;D

They've dropped points in 5 games this season, including 4 losses (plus another 1 of each in the CL), so they're more than capable of dropping points in numerous games between now and the end of the season.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8756 on: March 27, 2019, 11:31:36 am »
If City win all their remaining league games, including their 3rd match against Spurs in 11 days and that Old Trafford game

-then fair play to them, they will be worthy and brilliant champions.

I don't think they will though.

My bet is that Spurs game will be drawn, and probably the Man U game as well - but let's do our bit first!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8757 on: March 27, 2019, 11:32:18 am »
That's the spirit  ;D

They've dropped points in 5 games this season, including 4 losses (plus another 1 of each in the CL), so they're more than capable of dropping points in numerous games between now and the end of the season.

Got to be realistic here mate. They know what it takes to win the league. And they are more than capable of winning every league game from now til the end.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8758 on: March 27, 2019, 11:55:48 am »
Got to be realistic here mate. They know what it takes to win the league. And they are more than capable of winning every league game from now til the end.

I never get sentences like that. I'm not a pro footballer and even I know what it takes to win a league. Just because they have done it before doesn't really give them any advantage.

And of course they're capable, they're up at the top of the table with us for a reason, but then they're also capable of dropping points as they have this season already.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8759 on: March 27, 2019, 11:58:57 am »
I never get sentences like that. I'm not a pro footballer and even I know what it takes to win a league. Just because they have done it before doesn't really give them any advantage.

And of course they're capable, they're up at the top of the table with us for a reason, but then they're also capable of dropping points as they have this season already.

I get how experience of having been there and done it can help, especially when we haven’t, however no one has retained the title since 2009 so it’s clearly not the be all and end all.

Damn, had a week or so out of this thread and now the nerves are jangling again!