Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 438979 times)

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #6360 on: April 17, 2019, 10:19:31 PM »
You could see the difference he made tonight when he came on. Great pass to Bobby for the goal and to Mane.
#JFT96

Offline Al 555

• Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • JFT 96
« Reply #6361 on: April 17, 2019, 10:46:52 PM »
Absolutely wonderful cross for Bobby's goal. I think his energy, commitment and physicality will be vital at the weekend.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline simesy

• Believer
« Reply #6362 on: April 17, 2019, 11:37:07 PM »
I think he senses he and the team are so close to football immortality that by hook or crook hes going to drag us over that line. A change in position and doing things on the pitch that come more naturally to him has also helped 😉
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6363 on: April 17, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
2013/14 Hendo is back, nice to see you lad.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Original

• Believer
  • Sound
« Reply #6364 on: April 18, 2019, 12:52:34 AM »
I have been one of his harshest critics but fair fucks to him, he looks a different player since moving up the pitch

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Believer
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6365 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:14 AM »
I have been one of his harshest critics but fair fucks to him, he looks a different player since moving up the pitch
The PL may ban him as new signings are not allowed between transfer windows.  ;)

He does feel like a new signing though.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Believer
« Reply #6366 on: April 18, 2019, 01:18:09 AM »
Same. I was all but ready to wish him all the best at another club. Now he's absolutely undroppable! Brilliant yet again tonight.

Can't wait to see him play the rest of the season in this form!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline MinnyRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6367 on: April 18, 2019, 02:23:08 AM »
He’s fucking boss. Ultimate team player does what’s asked. Takes a ton of shit from  our fans, which never made sense to me. Glad he’s getting rightful praise

Online deadsetred

• Kopite
« Reply #6368 on: April 18, 2019, 02:53:25 AM »
Did you ever go to school, you were 16 and there was this plain borderline ugly bird in your class?

Then you're in a night club four years later and every single man is ogling this absolute babe and it suddenly dawns on you that it really is that plain borderline ugly girl that used to be in your class but you are totally out of her league now because the duckling has become a swan. Well that's Jordan at this moment.

Give that lad a song, a fucking good one too.

Don't agree with this view. Henderson's entire career has been a story of fluctuations between looking borderline elite to looking a squad player/better suited to a smaller club.

In general I think we could say he's unfairly criticised a lot of the time, but that when he does hit form people equally go over the top. No problem with that - fans want to see their captain do well and prove people wrong.

Although he does seem to perform better in this position, I wouldn't necessarily expect Hendo to keep up this form based on history.

Offline jckliew

• Believer
« Reply #6369 on: April 18, 2019, 02:54:11 AM »

Klopp's fault. 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Rick-40

• Might be missing a 'p'. If found, please return to RAWK Towers in a stamped SAE for a reward.
  • Believer
« Reply #6370 on: April 18, 2019, 03:11:38 AM »
Fantastic sniper cross that.
P

Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly,
The Fields of Anfield Road,
We are loyal supporters,
And we come from around the world!

Allez, Allez, Allez...

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Believer
« Reply #6371 on: April 18, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »
He's a man on a mission, looks like the guy who will lead us to glory.

Offline Ghost Town

• Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor!
  • Believer
  • Nullius in verba, omnia probate, sapere aude
« Reply #6372 on: April 18, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »
A goal or assist in every game, that's his mission and his mantra. Keep it up lad, that'll do me
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Offline Scottymuser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6373 on: April 24, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »
I don't know if you guys have seen, but the Paul Wilson in the Guardian has published his team of the season.  4 vs 4 with City in terms of players in - though no room for TAA (he put in Wan Bissaka as he wanted a player from outside the top 6, which is ... maybe fair? but Wan B has been v good) - the shocking choice for many (and unsurprisingly, the main topic of contention in the comments) was Hendo. 

Offline Eel Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #6374 on: April 26, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
A comparison of Henderson and Fabinho, who have both played a similar number of minutes. The difference in quality is obvious IMO.

https://twitter.com/simonbrundish/status/1114063057909682176?s=21

And another!!

Can’t finish those first time shots 10-15 yards out for shit though  :D
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and that’s being very conservative. So that’s £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head that’s £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #6375 on: April 26, 2019, 11:38:51 PM »
Well played. This midfield trio looks great to be honest. They look out for each other as well.

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6376 on: April 26, 2019, 11:41:06 PM »
The captain had another good performance always looking to get the team moving and another excellent assist.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6377 on: April 27, 2019, 03:37:42 AM »
And another!!

Can’t finish those first time shots 10-15 yards out for shit though  :D

lol does he always panic as he gets nowhere near the target everytime
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Online elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #6378 on: April 27, 2019, 04:57:39 AM »
Peach of a ball for Sadio’s second.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Mr Drobs

• Main Stander
  • We are the men of Shankly's best
« Reply #6379 on: April 27, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »
That was the patented Jordan Henderson clipped first-time cross. Does he ever mess that cross up? Seems to hit it perfectly every time.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Believer
« Reply #6380 on: April 27, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
He needs to calm his shooting down. He lashes at shots, he's capable of scoring goals. Just needs more placement less power.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Ghost Town

• Believer
« Reply #6381 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
An assist or goal per game.

Not too shoddy
"So that is where you'll find me; in the dust and the desolation, the gaps and the ghost towns. The eerie empty places and lost turns of the world"

Offline tubby

• Not on my watch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6382 on: April 27, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
The last player I want to see running onto a loose ball about 15 yards from goal, I swear he skies every single effort like that.  Good showing again last night, been so consistent since getting back in the team in that more advanced position.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Mr Drobs

• Main Stander
  • We are the men of Shankly's best
« Reply #6383 on: April 27, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »
Regarding that shot that is being referred to. One of the camera angles showed that the defenders leg was right there by the time the shot was being struck, which meant that, 1.) Mané wouldn't have got to it in time, and 2.) Henderson was forced into snatching at it a bit. He didn't have the time to do anything more measured. I've attached an image just as he's hit it, the defender is a little closer to goal too so he would have blocked most efforts that went goalward anyway I reckon.

On the whole though I agree that I'd like to see him have a few more shots and be a little more relaxed in doing so as when he gets them right he can pull out a beauty, as he proved with that goal against Chelsea a while back.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:46:15 AM by Mr Drobs »

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault!
  • No new LFC topics
  • Believer
« Reply #6384 on: April 27, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Boss again.

Offline Giono

• Believer
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #6385 on: April 27, 2019, 03:37:10 PM »
Well played. This midfield trio looks great to be honest. They look out for each other as well.

To be honest, the early season midfield three of a fresh-legged Milner, Keita and Gini was not far off.

Lovely to see a midfield of 3 of 8s covering for each other like that. Was great to see.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Believer
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #6386 on: April 27, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »
Player of the month?
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline GucciMane

• GucciMane, Oh Oh Oh Oh... GucciMane, Oh Oh Oh Oh... He came from Se-ne-gal... To teach us about the foot-ball...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6387 on: April 27, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
He was placing shots for like 3 seasons let him lash it for a bit.

Offline tubby

• Not on my watch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6388 on: May 1, 2019, 10:33:44 PM »
Been full of admiration for how he's played since he's been back in the team but I really want to know what he was doing completely vacating the midfield and moving up to level with our forwards when we had the ball at the back.  Our press resistance disappeared completely.

I can't imagine that's not an instruction from the manager because it's such an odd move to make.  But I can't imagine why we'd want him there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6389 on: May 1, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »
He played well insofar as doing what he's good at to a high standard. But his introduction for Naby changed our midfield's balance as we lost the ability to control the game by retaining the ball through Barcelona's press. Still, he put it on a plate for Sadio and put some decent crosses in. I think he's just not made for games against teams with extraordinarily technical midfields as we've seen against the best Spanish and Italian teams over the years.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6390 on: May 2, 2019, 12:51:58 AM »
He played well insofar as doing what he's good at to a high standard. But his introduction for Naby changed our midfield's balance as we lost the ability to control the game by retaining the ball through Barcelona's press. Still, he put it on a plate for Sadio and put some decent crosses in. I think he's just not made for games against teams with extraordinarily technical midfields as we've seen against the best Spanish and Italian teams over the years.
I've been one of Hendo's biggest supporters on here, but I'd agree with that - it just isn't his type of game. That doesn't make him shit or mean he can't do brilliantly against different teams, it just means there are other options. That's the strength of having half a dozen top midfielders, you can move them round to get the right balance in different games.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #6391 on: May 2, 2019, 01:29:41 AM »
Been full of admiration for how he's played since he's been back in the team but I really want to know what he was doing completely vacating the midfield and moving up to level with our forwards when we had the ball at the back.  Our press resistance disappeared completely.

I can't imagine that's not an instruction from the manager because it's such an odd move to make.  But I can't imagine why we'd want him there.

WTF is "Press Resistance"???
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Lastrador

• Believer
  • "Tackling is for losers"
« Reply #6392 on: May 2, 2019, 02:36:07 AM »
Well I thought he acquitted himself quite well, better than what I expected considering the circumstances. A gorgeous ball for Mane and a great flick to Wijnaldum, that sadly showed how lost Gini was on that position.

Online vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #6393 on: May 2, 2019, 03:11:01 AM »
Sensational pass for Mane's chance in the first half.

Offline Ghost Town

• Believer
« Reply #6394 on: May 2, 2019, 03:46:33 AM »
WTF is "Press Resistance"???
You need to argue this out with Babu Yagu.

A sort of Alien vs Predator for the modern age   :-*

(I've always understood Press Resistance to mean being able to cope with being pressed and retain possession/offload a successful pass while being pressed. Is that not a thing?)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #6395 on: May 2, 2019, 03:56:26 AM »
You need to argue this out with Babu Yagu.

A sort of Alien vs Predator for the modern age   :-*

(I've always understood Press Resistance to mean being able to cope with being pressed and retain possession/offload a successful pass while being pressed. Is that not a thing?)

Yes. We call it "dribbling and passing" :D :D :D

Offline RedG13

• Kopite
« Reply #6396 on: May 2, 2019, 04:53:34 AM »
I dont know if this a good comparison or not but in american football. There are QB who have to play in rhythm with a clean pocket(Cousins, Derek Carr, Dalton types would be this) and there QB who can play in rhythm with a clean pocket and also are able to make plays with a collapsed pocket or escape pressure(so like Russel Wilson Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers would be the best examples of this)
Would be same in football there are player who struggle to pass and dribble under pressure and other who are comfortable with that.

Online hesbighesred

• But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #6397 on: May 2, 2019, 06:31:45 AM »
I dont know if this a good comparison or not but in american football. There are QB who have to play in rhythm with a clean pocket(Cousins, Derek Carr, Dalton types would be this) and there QB who can play in rhythm with a clean pocket and also are able to make plays with a collapsed pocket or escape pressure(so like Russel Wilson Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers would be the best examples of this)
Would be same in football there are player who struggle to pass and dribble under pressure and other who are comfortable with that.

Exactly that. And in some cases you've got players like Keith and Lallana who almost seek out tight spaces precisely because they know they can get out of them again. Players like Milner and Henderson, on the other hand, for all their other qualities, will always look for space - the former drifting wide and the latter drifting behind or ahead of the ball to find it.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• RAWK Writer
  • Believer
« Reply #6398 on: May 2, 2019, 06:37:55 AM »

So a good 1v1 player then ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• Believer
« Reply #6399 on: May 2, 2019, 06:53:40 AM »
Ha, sure, but there's dribbling a passing, and there's dribbling and passing successfully while being pressed. Some players are better at this than others (e.g Wijnaldum is very good; he just seems to keep the ball much of the time, regardless of the pressure on him) and I guess that's where the term 'press resistance' comes in. Then at a lower resolution you can consider how well a unit of players or section of the pitch (a midfield, say) can generally resist a press.

It may not be an official technical term in the coaching lingo, but it kind of makes sense; puts across an idea pretty well, I'd say. It's certainly used a fair bit now.