Author Topic: VPN  (Read 59593 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: VPN
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2018, 09:21:22 pm »
So I've had 3 emails from virgin warning me about downloading torrents so have decided to use a vpn again. Did a speedtest today, without the vpn is 200Mpbs but with the vpn is 10Mpbs. Is it normal to be that shite? I'm using Nord btw.

That's a bit shit,you usually lose some speed but not that much,have you tried a different server ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2018, 08:21:32 am »

That's a bit shit,you usually lose some speed but not that much,have you tried a different server ?

Yeah, tried different servers but same result.

I left it for a couple of hours an now getting 70Mbps, happy with that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:09:35 am by Liverlee »

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2018, 01:03:30 pm »
Just got 3 years of Nord VPN for about £100, to cover 6 devices, complete bargain.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/deals/the-best-vpn-deals-for-2018

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #83 on: March 1, 2019, 10:08:43 am »
Asking for a mate.

With a VPN is it relatively easy to then find a link for a reliable stream for the footy?

Current download speed is about 60Mpbs

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: March 1, 2019, 10:10:02 am »
A VPN won’t make a stream any more reliable. A bad VPN may cut your speed and make it worse though.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #85 on: March 1, 2019, 10:21:31 am »
A VPN won’t make a stream any more reliable. A bad VPN may cut your speed and make it worse though.

Cheers, was thinking that a VPN allows you to access the streams that are all over the internet and therefore being watched by everyone and his mother, therefore better than the usual stuff I remember back in the day

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: March 1, 2019, 10:24:13 am »
Cheers, was thinking that a VPN allows you to access the streams that are all over the internet and therefore being watched by everyone and his mother, therefore better than the usual stuff I remember back in the day

All a VPN does it mask what you're doing on the internet from the likes of your internet provider.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: March 1, 2019, 03:26:43 pm »
Asking for a mate.

With a VPN is it relatively easy to then find a link for a reliable stream for the footy?

Current download speed is about 60Mpbs

A VPN will make it easier for him to find streams that work & keep working as they get around any UK take down notices.A good example and the easiest test is to try using Mobdro during the footy,when the PL is on they (mobdro) just block the UK from using the app,once the footy has finished it all works again,if you open it up whilst running your VPN it will work for you during the footy though.

His speed is more than enough,even if a vpn cut it by 2/3rds (they don't) he would still have enough left over to be able to stream a 4K movie so it would piss a 1080p footy stream.

Tell him to try this and see what he thinks,don't pay for the full package though as digibit is way cheaper (£2 a month) and brilliant imo.

Anyone who wants a free vpn in case of surprise blocks can use this link to windscribe,you get 20gb free per month if you use code EXPAND20,shows up as 10gb but the next time you log into the client area it will show 20gb

LINK

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: March 1, 2019, 03:29:10 pm »

Even most free streams are top notch nowadays,fewer people will be watching the streams that are being blocked in the UK so in that sense they could be more reliable.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #89 on: March 1, 2019, 04:51:38 pm »
Cheers where Angels play

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #90 on: March 2, 2019, 12:23:18 pm »
Just got a 3 year NordVPN sub for about £60 (after cashback).  Bit worried about download speeds being slower now, but I'll see how it goes.

Couple of questions - does everyone automatically let it choose location (UK)?  Or is there any benefit of choosing a different country?

Secondly, I may try downloading a movie torrent.  Where's the best site for good quality / well-seeded torrents?  (PM me if you'd prefer)

Ta

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: March 2, 2019, 10:54:10 pm »
Just got a 3 year NordVPN sub for about £60 (after cashback).  Bit worried about download speeds being slower now, but I'll see how it goes.

Couple of questions - does everyone automatically let it choose location (UK)?  Or is there any benefit of choosing a different country?

Ta
I have the same 3 year plan from Nord VPN.

I keep chopping and changing it, one day I could be connected to the net via a server in France, the next day from a server in South Korea or indeed any country in the list.

Just because I can       :P

Ohh and just incase the CIA are spying on me I like to amuse myself thinking I'm giving them a good old run around.     ;D

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: March 3, 2019, 07:57:26 am »
I have the same 3 year plan from Nord VPN.

I keep chopping and changing it, one day I could be connected to the net via a server in France, the next day from a server in South Korea or indeed any country in the list.

Just because I can       :P

Ohh and just incase the CIA are spying on me I like to amuse myself thinking I'm giving them a good old run around.     ;D

Haha, I'm currently writing this from Switzerland..not. However, if the CIA are spying on you, you'll need more than a 3 year plan from Nord mate

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #93 on: March 3, 2019, 02:28:47 pm »
Does it work well for IPTV apps?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 3, 2019, 03:45:37 pm »
Does it work well for IPTV apps?

All do but only when the provider allows them to be used.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 4, 2019, 08:47:42 am »
All do but only when the provider allows them to be used.
ive had problems the last two weekends trying to watch games

supplier said nord would bypass this. i havent ordered a vpn

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #96 on: March 4, 2019, 12:20:27 pm »
ive had problems the last two weekends trying to watch games

supplier said nord would bypass this. i havent ordered a vpn

One of the issues I have had is that if my WiFi drops, regular occurrence for me with BT, going to him bin them off.
Then I have had to close down the firestick and reconnect with a different location.

Not sure if that is going to help but simply if you are having issues try reconnecting with a different location and then start up your device.

HTH

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #97 on: March 4, 2019, 01:10:44 pm »
Some IPTV providers say that VPN actually helps the PL put up their blocks as they cause leaks,no idea what they mean by that as I don't have a problem with my IPTV as I'mnot UK based.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 4, 2019, 02:20:25 pm »
ill hold off so for now

thanks ppl

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #99 on: March 5, 2019, 11:21:08 am »
I've started using Surfshark when my iptv gets blocked, works great, decent speeds too. Also gets round Netflix geo blocks (for now). It's nothing fancy, and they're relatively new. You can get 2 years now for 38 quid using the code sharkstart

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #100 on: March 5, 2019, 01:12:19 pm »
This NordVPN is really slowing down my computer and phone.  Web pages load so slowly (sometimes not at all - I have to disconnect & connect again to make it work), downloads are significantly slower (1mbps?!) 

I was expecting a slight slowdown (I'd take that for the extra security this potentially brings), but this is really disappointing.  I'm connecting to a UK server - not one the other side of the world.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 5, 2019, 03:00:13 pm »
This NordVPN is really slowing down my computer and phone.  Web pages load so slowly (sometimes not at all - I have to disconnect & connect again to make it work), downloads are significantly slower (1mbps?!) 

I was expecting a slight slowdown (I'd take that for the extra security this potentially brings), but this is really disappointing.  I'm connecting to a UK server - not one the other side of the world.

Have you tried both protocols,I nearly always use UDP.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #102 on: March 5, 2019, 03:02:02 pm »
I have no idea how to do that - I just installed the VPN and clicked "connect automatically"!  Is it easy to change protocols?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 5, 2019, 03:47:06 pm »
I have no idea how to do that - I just installed the VPN and clicked "connect automatically"!  Is it easy to change protocols?

Never used Nord but it should be a case of just selecting the one you want UDP or TCP

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #104 on: March 5, 2019, 10:50:59 pm »

this might help you out ....  8)

https://nordvpn.com/blog/tcp-or-udp-which-is-better/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #105 on: March 6, 2019, 10:14:42 am »
this might help you out ....  8)

https://nordvpn.com/blog/tcp-or-udp-which-is-better/
Cheers mate - I'll check that out later

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #106 on: March 7, 2019, 10:22:32 am »
There was a 'Choose UDP over TCP' check box in the Nord settings, so I've unclicked that.  Hasn't made any difference so far.

Also - when I go on Youtube, I get German/Austrian adverts, even though I'm on a UK server?  Anyone know why that would be?

Also also ( ;D) - iplayer doesn't work on my ipad.  I'm guessing that's because of the VPN, but again I'm not sure why.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #107 on: March 7, 2019, 11:20:33 am »
There was a 'Choose UDP over TCP' check box in the Nord settings, so I've unclicked that.  Hasn't made any difference so far.

Also - when I go on Youtube, I get German/Austrian adverts, even though I'm on a UK server?  Anyone know why that would be?

Also also ( ;D) - iplayer doesn't work on my ipad.  I'm guessing that's because of the VPN, but again I'm not sure why.

You can't be on a UK server, I'd double check if your getting German adverts and can't get into Iplayer.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 7, 2019, 04:10:36 pm »

Go here and see where it says it thinks you are:

https://iplocation.com/

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 7, 2019, 07:29:20 pm »

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: March 7, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »
Been with PIA for a few years, no problems at all apart from my Plex server getting blocked but sorted now. Port forwarding for torrents etc is fine

Online BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: March 9, 2019, 10:49:16 am »
Go here and see where it says it thinks you are:

https://iplocation.com/
I have never been there in my life.

I'm currently at home in North East England     :)

Offline RedMan89

• Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2019, 09:02:28 pm »
Virgin seems to block all VPNs websites so can't sign up anywhere, anyone have this problem?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2019, 09:17:17 pm »
Virgin seems to block all VPNs websites so can't sign up anywhere, anyone have this problem?

I'm sure there are other ways but the simple solution would be to sign up somewhere else, or on your phone while on 4G rather than your wifi.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2019, 05:45:45 pm »
Can anyone recommend a free and easy to use VPN for my tablet that I can use to access BBC iPlayer while I'm abroad?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »
Can anyone recommend a free and easy to use VPN for my tablet that I can use to access BBC iPlayer while I'm abroad?

Windscribe,you get 20gb free each month.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2019, 06:09:48 pm »
Thanks. I just tried that and managed to connect to a UK VPN but iPlayer and NOW TV still didn't work.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2019, 06:21:35 pm »
Thanks. I just tried that and managed to connect to a UK VPN but iPlayer and NOW TV still didn't work.

Pretty sure that it has an iPlayer specific server so try that.

If it doesn't then sign up for Digibit,it's only £2pm and you pay monthly (paypal option as well),they definitely have the iPlayer specific server.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2019, 09:26:37 pm »
When I connect to iplayer with a VPN I have to clear my cookies and history of the previous 24hrs.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:32 pm »
Why not use a browser that has a VPN browser application built in?

Its the future.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family