Author Topic: Chelsea Football Circus  (Read 1314480 times)

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chelsea Football Circus
« Reply #15240 on: December 31, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
More anti-semetic chanting by their fans against Palace apparently.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15241 on: January 2, 2019, 09:16:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/BVB/status/1080390760577617921

Switches to @ChelseaFC the summer!

BVB have agreed a transfer of Christian Pulisic to Chelsea FC with immediate effect, with Chelsea in turn lending the 20-year-old to BVB until the end of the season.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #15242 on: January 2, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/BVB/status/1080390760577617921

Switches to @ChelseaFC the summer!

BVB have agreed a transfer of Christian Pulisic to Chelsea FC with immediate effect, with Chelsea in turn lending the 20-year-old to BVB until the end of the season.

Decent player, shame he’s gone there. Although I feel if Klopp wanted him bad enough we would have got him so it’s probably not a loss to us.

Offline DelTrotter

• Believer
« Reply #15243 on: January 2, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »
Phew, thank god we didn’t go near him. Incredible deal for Dortmund.

Offline AmanShah21

• Kopite
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #15244 on: January 2, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
Wasnt he gonna be free in the summer? 60 million is a bit steep conaidering so many lost their shit on us paying 10 million quid over release clause for Keita. Surely if Pulusic wanted chelsea that much they could have just done a pre-contract. Weird deal. Good signing though, plenty of potential. Needs to develop a lot though. Not sure if Chelsea is the right place for it.

Online Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #15245 on: January 2, 2019, 09:49:29 AM »
That’s Hazard off then.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Believer
« Reply #15246 on: January 2, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
That’s Hazard off then.

That was my first thought but you never know I guess.

I've not seen enough of him but Pusilic seems to have a lot of work on to get to Hazard's sort of level. He's only 20 though.

Offline b_joseph

• Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Believer
« Reply #15247 on: January 2, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »
Poor kid...rich kid but poor kid.

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15248 on: January 2, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
Decent player, shame he’s gone there. Although I feel if Klopp wanted him bad enough we would have got him so it’s probably not a loss to us.

He has been totally over hyped as a player, he's currently being outplayed by an 18 year old English kid. I am so relieved we have not gone for him, he's got it all to prove for me. Chelsea have taken a huge risk on him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15249 on: January 2, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
Hudson Odoi must be fun to be around right now

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15250 on: January 2, 2019, 10:13:23 AM »
He's got the same goal/assist numbers as Alex Iwobi. Obviously they're paying for the potential, so it's hard to judge just yet. Here's hoping it's all hype!"
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #15251 on: January 2, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
He has been totally over hyped as a player, he's currently being outplayed by an 18 year old English kid. I am so relieved we have not gone for him, he's got it all to prove for me. Chelsea have taken a huge risk on him.

Fair enough. From the little I’ve seen of him he seems really technically good but I haven’t seen too much. Tbf though, that 18 year old English kid is outplaying most players in the world so not sure if that’s the best barometer for being good or not.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15252 on: January 2, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
Wasnt he gonna be free in the summer? 60 million is a bit steep conaidering so many lost their shit on us paying 10 million quid over release clause for Keita. Surely if Pulusic wanted chelsea that much they could have just done a pre-contract. Weird deal. Good signing though, plenty of potential. Needs to develop a lot though. Not sure if Chelsea is the right place for it.

Contract was up in 2020, and he wouldn't be eligible for a Bosman given he wouldn't be 23.

Brilliant deal for Dortmund.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Believer
« Reply #15253 on: January 2, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »
He was never going to join us. We go for physically strong players up front now. Salah, Mane, Firmino and Shaqiri are strong little fuckers.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline jillc

• Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #15254 on: January 2, 2019, 10:19:13 AM »
Fair enough. From the little I’ve seen of him he seems really technically good but I haven’t seen too much. Tbf though, that 18 year old English kid is outplaying most players in the world so not sure if that’s the best barometer for being good or not.

It's a strange thing since I've started watching German football there are a number of others I would put before him. He could yet prove us all wrong, but I just feel by now he should be showing more consistency than what he's managed so far. He is certainly technically gifted no denying what would concern me is his inability to perform consistently to a high level. I don't think Klopp sees him as viable for us, as I'm pretty sure if he wanted him, he'd have got him.

Online Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15255 on: January 2, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
It's a strange thing since I've started watching German football there are a number of others I would put before him. He could yet prove us all wrong, but I just feel by now he should be showing more consistency than what he's managed so far. He is certainly technically gifted no denying what would concern me is his inability to perform consistently to a high level. I don't think Klopp sees him as viable for us, as I'm pretty sure if he wanted him, he'd have got him.
thing is they will probably get some more sponsors from him, plus they’re both with nike who probably want him on a Nike team.

Plus if he turns out to be 80% of what mane is now he’s going to be one of the biggest stars in the game, as mad as that sounds

Online Eel Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #15256 on: January 2, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
Shirt sales alone will cover the fee, and Ibrahimovics
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and that’s being very conservative. So that’s £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head that’s £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15257 on: January 2, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
Was there even any substantive links with him? I'm reading a lot elsewhere about how we've "missed out" on one of our big targets.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2019, 10:43:03 AM by Grinch57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #15258 on: January 2, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »
Was there every any substantive links with him? I'm reading a lot elsewhere about how we'd "missed out" on one of our big targets.
Not this time round. Only real link was 2 and a half years ago when they made an offer.
And today at that fee, there won't have been any interest! Worth a punt at half the price, but £58 mill, wow, crazy money.
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Believer
« Reply #15259 on: January 2, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »
Was there every any substantive links with him? I'm reading a lot elsewhere about how we'd "missed out" on one of our big targets.

It always seemed like if we targeted him Klopp would've been happy with it, but we never really pushed for him. People use the Klopp connection to link him to us but I don't think Jurgen is the driving force behind our transfers.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #15260 on: January 2, 2019, 10:58:39 AM »
thing is they will probably get some more sponsors from him, plus they’re both with nike who probably want him on a Nike team.

Plus if he turns out to be 80% of what mane is now he’s going to be one of the biggest stars in the game, as mad as that sounds

I still wouldn't have wanted to pay that crazy amount of money for him.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #15261 on: January 2, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
I still wouldn't have wanted to pay that crazy amount of money for him.

If he lives up to just 75% of the hype he'll probably prove to be very good bit of business for Chelsea. All the big clubs are bending over backwards to get a slice of the American pie - these post/pre season tours we all do out there aren't exactly conducive to getting the rest and preparation we need for the next season, but we all do it anyway because it matters long term.

This guy's looking like he'll be the best American player ever, if he's not already, so he's probably going to repay the fee many times over if he's a regular at Chelsea for a while.

A lot of purists cringe at this sort of mentality but unfortunately it matters.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #15262 on: January 2, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »
If he lives up to just 75% of the hype he'll probably prove to be very good bit of business for Chelsea. All the big clubs are bending over backwards to get a slice of the American pie - these post/pre season tours we all do out there aren't exactly conducive to getting the rest and preparation we need for the next season, but we all do it anyway because it matters long term.

This guy's looking like he'll be the best American player ever, if he's not already, so he's probably going to repay the fee many times over if he's a regular at Chelsea for a while.

If he lives up to the hype and so far that's not proved to be the case. Where exactly would we fit him into the team at this moment in time? I'm not even sure he would get much of a chance of playing at the moment. At the price they've played for him, I'd rather it was Chelsea's risk than ours.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #15263 on: January 2, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »
If he lives up to the hype and so far that's not proved to be the case. Where exactly would we fit him into the team at this moment in time? I'm not even sure he would get much of a chance of playing at the moment. At the price they've played for him, I'd rather it was Chelsea's risk than ours.

Yeah I'm not saying we should have got him - I'm enjoying living in the moment too much with this team so wouldn't want to rock the boat for the sake of a long term investment - but think it's very savvy business for Chelsea.

As for where he'd have played for us, no idea but I'm sure if he did come to us Klopp would find a way! Just look at the impact Shaqiri's making - obviously he's better than Pulisic but he's completely different to the type of player we thought our shape needed last year. Klopp's a bit of a genius like that.

Online Eel Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #15264 on: January 2, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »

That’s all a bit ‘Ibrahimovic shirt sales made hundreds of millions for United’ isnt it?

The most popular clubs in the world sell about 2/3 million shirts a year and I think clubs generally get about 20% of the actual shirt sale. I mean sure, you’ll doubtless see an increase in Chelsea shirts sold in the states but I really wouldn’t have thought it’d be enough to make any sort of dent in the transfer fee. Nor is it likely to see a particularly huge increase in Americans becoming Chelsea consumers. I really don’t see a London football club owned by a Russian suddenly becoming massively popular in America because they signed one player.
I believe the average spend will go up £5 ahead and that’s being very conservative. So that’s £185k. Then you have a new 25k who will spend £10 a head that’s £250k. This is without the massively enhanced hospitality areas.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #15265 on: January 2, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
Yeah I'm not saying we should have got him - I'm enjoying living in the moment too much with this team so wouldn't want to rock the boat for the sake of a long term investment - but think it's very savvy business for Chelsea.

As for where he'd have played for us, no idea but I'm sure if he did come to us Klopp would find a way! Just look at the impact Shaqiri's making - obviously he's better than Pulisic but he's completely different to the type of player we thought our shape needed last year. Klopp's a bit of a genius like that.

I don't really think it's a thing for us at all, as if Klopp had really wanted him he'd have made sure we got him. I still think for Chelsea its a risk, for that money he's going to have to instantly prove his worth. Dortmund have gone out of their way to take the pressure off him, he still hasn't justified it. Of course, there is a chance he can he can make some sort of impact next season, but he has very little room for patience because of what they've paid for him. The tongues will start to wagging quickly at Chelsea if he doesn't do the business, their fans are not known for their patience. Especially considering some are complaining how Chelsea are not giving their own young players a big enough chance. The pressure is on the lad big time.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer
« Reply #15266 on: January 2, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
That’s all a bit ‘Ibrahimovic shirt sales made hundreds of millions for United’ isnt it?

The most popular clubs in the world sell about 2/3 million shirts a year and I think clubs generally get about 20% of the actual shirt sale. I mean sure, you’ll doubtless see an increase in Chelsea shirts sold in the states but I really wouldn’t have thought it’d be enough to make any sort of dent in the transfer fee. Nor is it likely to see a particularly huge increase in Americans becoming Chelsea consumers. I really don’t see a London football club owned by a Russian suddenly becoming massively popular in America because they signed one player.

It's not all about shirt sales though. It's overall commercial value which is primarily sponsorship money. I'd imagine Chelsea have suddenly become a lot more attractive to American sponsors now - they've got the growing American market's eyeballs fixed on their shirt and pitchside advertising hoardings now. That money blows shirt sales out of the water.

Plus there's the long term buy in - an American football fan is likely to pass on that support to their kids and their kids. Just look at how we fill out 100k seats in Melbourne whenever we pass by - that's not down to Istanbul. It's the generation of Aussies who fell in love with us in the 70s & 80s and their kids. Having the top American star will likely get buy in for a hell of a lot of American fans.

Why do you think all the top clubs are bending over backwards to do these pre and post season American tours? It's not for shirt sales.

Offline DelTrotter

• Believer
« Reply #15267 on: January 2, 2019, 11:35:23 AM »
He could easily make Chelsea 5 billion in the next 6 years.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer
  • Believer
  • Mentalitätsmonster
« Reply #15268 on: January 2, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
If the biggest positive in his signing is that he's good for sponsorship, then that's a terrible indictment on the sport  ;D

But really, it's more a sign of how crazy transfer fees are now, to pay close on 60 mill for potential is nuts. Long term it may well work out for them, but it only matters from a footballing sense to their fans. If he doesn't repay it on the pitch, then it's a shit signing however happy it makes some American fans and a few companies. 

But so long as he does become a key player for them, all good.
Wir brauchen viele Jahre, bis wir verstehen, wie kostbar Augenblicke sein können.

Online Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #15269 on: January 2, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »
Easily worth £1tn in shirt sales alone.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #15270 on: January 2, 2019, 11:42:22 AM »
If the biggest positive in his signing is that he's good for sponsorship, then that's a terrible indictment on the sport  ;D

But really, it's more a sign of how crazy transfer fees are now, to pay close on 60 mill for potential is nuts. Long term it may well work out for them, but it only matters from a footballing sense to their fans. If he doesn't repay it on the pitch, then it's a shit signing however happy it makes some American fans and a few companies. 

But so long as he does become a key player for them, all good.

Another concern I would have about him is he is already picking up some really niggly injuries. Dortmund have been flying this season so I really expected him to be progressing this season but it hasn't really happened.

Online Eel Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #15271 on: January 2, 2019, 11:52:08 AM »
It's not all about shirt sales though. It's overall commercial value which is primarily sponsorship money. I'd imagine Chelsea have suddenly become a lot more attractive to American sponsors now - they've got the growing American market's eyeballs fixed on their shirt and pitchside advertising hoardings now. That money blows shirt sales out of the water.

Plus there's the long term buy in - an American football fan is likely to pass on that support to their kids and their kids. Just look at how we fill out 100k seats in Melbourne whenever we pass by - that's not down to Istanbul. It's the generation of Aussies who fell in love with us in the 70s & 80s and their kids. Having the top American star will likely get buy in for a hell of a lot of American fans.

Why do you think all the top clubs are bending over backwards to do these pre and post season American tours? It's not for shirt sales.

Because the very biggest clubs sell out stadiums....? And just like many other teams, they’ve been attracting huge crowds themselves over there for a good 3/4 years now. And like I say I’m sure they’ll see an uplift in shirt sales, and sponsorship. Slightly. But they’re already in the top ten in the world for both.

But again, really not seeing where he’s going to make Chelsea £100 million plus off his own back. That Keisuke Honda is pretty much the definition of that sort of idea not actually being reality. You couldn’t have grown a more marketable Japanese footballer if you tried, and the best he did was a few seasons for a pretty awful Milan side. If having the best footballer ever from a country that doesn’t produce many, at a time when football in that country is growing in popularity, was worth that much then he’d have been all round the biggest clubs in Europe. As would Harry Kewell, Arshavin etc

There’s absolutely nothing to substantiate anything like the figures you’re talking mate, nowhere near. Only numerous articles and stats which confirm that the shirt sale side of these deals are grossly over-egged in terms of what they actually bring in money wise.

Plus....any increase in any of the areas previously mentioned I’d guess would be offset heavily by the decrease if Hazard leaves as expected.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2019, 11:54:37 AM by On The Eeleventh Day Of Lobo... »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #15272 on: January 2, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
Happy we didn't sign him. Especially for that money considering him nearing the end of his contract.

Hey, he could come good, he's good at one on one situations but I think his progress has stalled a bit, he is not a first choice for title challenging Dortmund this season and eager to see when or if he ever starts scoring goals at a good rate.

Saw some quotes from Sarri today that he is after a winger and not a striker and I wonder if Pulisic is the only one they will get for now (and is not available).
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15273 on: January 2, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »
Fuck Pulisic and Chelsea.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesligas shit
  • Believer
  • Everyone loves a Luis
« Reply #15274 on: January 2, 2019, 12:30:22 PM »
That’s Hazard off then.

If that's the case then we can write off another top four competitor next season.  :)

Although they would still have the tenth best footballer in the world, N'Golo Kante. With him, Willian and Pulisic in midfield areas, they'll be goal machines!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 2, 2019, 12:32:35 PM by LallanaInPyjamas »
Better than the Invincibles.
Better than Mourinho's Chelsea.
Better than the fables Man Utd Treble team.

I'm alright with that.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Believer
« Reply #15275 on: January 2, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »
If he wasn’t at Dortmund there wouldn’t have been even half the hype surrounding him.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2019, 12:43:11 PM by OneTouchFooty »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Believer
« Reply #15276 on: January 2, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »
Can see they are getting themselves prepared for hazards departure. Id imagine morata and many of the bloated squad will be gone too.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Bam!
« Reply #15277 on: January 2, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »
Can see they are getting themselves prepared for hazards departure. Id imagine morata and many of the bloated squad will be gone too.

Higuain is the lined up Morata replacement, maybe a swap of some kind, if not Arnautovic is the only other name.

Was thinking this morning that Chelsea would be going big in the market if possible, and they've started already!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Classycara

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #15278 on: January 2, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
Pretty fucking mental to spend that premium money for a player that doesn't have long left on his contract, and to still allow Dortmund to keep him. I think they'll be relatively comfy in the top 4, but still. Surely you'd rather he bed in while Hazard is still there

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesligas shit
  • Believer
  • Everyone loves a Luis
« Reply #15279 on: January 2, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
Pretty fucking mental to spend that premium money for a player that doesn't have long left on his contract, and to still allow Dortmund to keep him. I think they'll be relatively comfy in the top 4, but still. Surely you'd rather he bed in while Hazard is still there

They should this season, but I'm not convinced about next campaign. Obviously a lot hinges on what Pochettino does (and Hazard), as if he leaves that will weaken Spurs somewhat, but either way I'd expect United and Arsenal both to be a lot stronger.
Better than the Invincibles.
Better than Mourinho's Chelsea.
Better than the fables Man Utd Treble team.

I'm alright with that.