Author Topic: What Podcasts do you listen to?  (Read 49995 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
Re: What Podcasts do you listen to?
« Reply #640 on: March 6, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it.

Conflicted is outstanding and I'm 30 minutes in.

Interviewing a former Al-Qida member turned MI6 spy.
Cheers mate, nearly finished the first one and it's very interesting. I'd be interested to know what people with better knowledge than me thought about it.

It's a bit like Caliphate.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #641 on: March 6, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
Started to listen to the Lovejoy podcast. He’s very different to his Soccer AM days. I like him on Sunday Brunch but thought he may have been a bit of a twat based on his Soccer AM days (which I loved at the height of its good days). But he’s nothing like that.

Anyway, he interviews a host of different guests on different things, not always celebrities but authors and inventors etc. Working my way back through some of the ones that interest me like Joe Wicks, Wim Hof, Neil Woods this week (War on Drugs) and others.

Surprised by how much I have taken to them.

Why wouldn't you take to him, he's a loveable rogue.

Online BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #642 on: March 6, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
Why wouldn't you take to him, he's a loveable rogue.

Manc

Offline Brian Blessed

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #643 on: March 6, 2019, 08:16:23 PM »

Offline red_Mark1980

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • J.F.T.96
« Reply #644 on: March 7, 2019, 08:04:55 PM »
Cheers mate, nearly finished the first one and it's very interesting. I'd be interested to know what people with better knowledge than me thought about it.

It's a bit like Caliphate.

No probs. Ive picked up a couple in here so glad that others enjoy one of mine.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Though the fella seems pretty legit and Frank.

Offline Brian Blessed

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #645 on: March 8, 2019, 06:55:48 PM »
A treat for you, Ciara. HBO is debuting an Adnan Syed documentary this Sunday, it's four parts in total. Here's the trailer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OQaTa5eTxnk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OQaTa5eTxnk</a>
« Last Edit: March 8, 2019, 06:59:11 PM by Brian Blessed »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #646 on: March 9, 2019, 03:19:31 PM »
A treat for you, Ciara. HBO is debuting an Adnan Syed documentary this Sunday, it's four parts in total. Here's the trailer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OQaTa5eTxnk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OQaTa5eTxnk</a>

Thank you - was aware of this and it’s due to hit Sky Atlantic on April 1st.

Devastating news about Adnan’s case yesterday :(
JFT96.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Never Forget
« Reply #647 on: March 12, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »
One for the truly first person history analyst

Battle of Britain 1940

It is basically someone reading the RAF daily reports for each day of the Battle of Britain with each day broken out into one podcast

I had listened to this before years ago and enjoyed the factual nature of it, no journalistic analysis, just reading the reports as they were submitted with the losses detailed

I found it interesting, but they are very dry and will most likely only be of interest to those with an interest in this slice of history

Offline red_Mark1980

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • J.F.T.96
« Reply #648 on: March 12, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »

I've just read the ruling. Actually lost for words. Seems like these things can just go on forever.

I do wonder if any member of Hae's family doubt Adnan's guilt

Offline Jules01

• Believer
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #649 on: March 28, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
Been listening to Nick abbotts habit podcasts lately.
Probably nobody has heard of him as he's buried late in the schedules on lbc.
He loves a good rant and sarcastic to most callers.I always find he nails most subjects.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-Nick-Abbot-Habit-p966758/?topicId=127746959

Offline Brian Blessed

• RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #650 on: March 28, 2019, 04:24:29 PM »
Been listening to Nick abbotts habit podcasts lately.
Probably nobody has heard of him as he's buried late in the schedules on lbc.
He loves a good rant and sarcastic to most callers.I always find he nails most subjects.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-Nick-Abbot-Habit-p966758/?topicId=127746959

That brings back memories. I used to listen to his late night show on Birgin back in the early nineties.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #651 on: March 28, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it.
Conflicted is outstanding and I'm 30 minutes in.
Interviewing a former Al-Qida member turned MI6 spy.
This is up to number 5 now and I'd highly recommend it. It attempts to cover a significant amount of middle-east politics and religion in a simple podcast.
I'd still like to know what anyone who is an expert on the subject thinks about it.

Offline Jules01

• Believer
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »
That brings back memories. I used to listen to his late night show on Birgin back in the early nineties.

Wow I bet he didn't have all the fancy jingles back then?  :D

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Believer
« Reply #653 on: March 30, 2019, 07:09:33 AM »
One of my mates got me into a podcast called ‘cum town’. Yes a lot of it is toilet humour but its the only podcast I laugh at regularly. It’s probably unsafe for me to listen to it while i’m driving I laugh that much but I do.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #654 on: April 1, 2019, 02:54:21 PM »
One of my mates got me into a podcast called ‘cum town’. Yes a lot of it is toilet humour but its the only podcast I laugh at regularly. It’s probably unsafe for me to listen to it while i’m driving I laugh that much but I do.
I'm also a loyal listener. The absolute dread when you're in public and your headphone jack slips out at the chance someone would hear the objectively highly offensive material.

It's complete brain thrash, but I think that's required once a week. But no more!

If you like C Town try Chapo Trap House, they are all buddies and though the show is political they take similar ironic view on things. 

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #655 on: April 1, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »

Battle of Britain 1940

It is basically someone reading the RAF daily reports for each day of the Battle of Britain with each day broken out into one podcast

I had listened to this before years ago and enjoyed the factual nature of it, no journalistic analysis, just reading the reports as they were submitted with the losses detailed

I found it interesting, but they are very dry and will most likely only be of interest to those with an interest in this slice of history

Ooo nice. I like the sound of this.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #656 on: April 1, 2019, 10:30:18 PM »
'That Peter Crouch Podcast' ... Just started series two, 2 episodes in  ;D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06kyljg/episodes/downloads
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #657 on: April 2, 2019, 08:27:53 AM »

Battle of Britain 1940

You weren't wrong about it being dry. Fucking hell, even for a WWII glutton like myself it was like eating flour :D

It's a shame the narrator wasn't a bit better. Lots of uhms and ahhs reading out what was probably a script. That's what spoilt it for me in the end, but ultimately, like you say, fascinating. Mad how pilots dying daily was reported so matter-of-fact.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Believer
« Reply #658 on: April 2, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »
Been listing to Paradise (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p071k0jv/episodes/downloads) over the last couple of days.

It's about a cold case regarding a British couple from south Manchester (Peta and Chris) who go off travelling the world and are murdered in Belize 30 odd years ago.

Quite an interesting story. They release an episode a week and so far have released 6 episodes.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #659 on: April 2, 2019, 10:28:16 AM »
Been listing to Paradise (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p071k0jv/episodes/downloads) over the last couple of days.

It's about a cold case regarding a British couple from south Manchester (Peta and Chris) who go off travelling the world and are murdered in Belize 30 odd years ago.

Quite an interesting story. They release an episode a week and so far have released 6 episodes.

Thanks for that! Will check that one out.
JFT96.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Believer
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #660 on: April 2, 2019, 01:18:33 PM »
Finished Wolverine The Long Night, was a bit of a disappointment after what i thought was a great start. Just kind of meanders for most of it and then next thing it's over.
It did leave me wanting to try more dramatic podcasts though so onto Rami Malik's 'Blackout' next, and if anyone has any recommendations?

The Ron Burgundy podcast is a delight, makes up somewhat for Anchorman 2.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #661 on: April 2, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
When is Blackout out.

I read about that last week but the only info is it being a 8 part series.

EDIT.

Just found 4 episodes on Itunes and the latest one came out today, they average around 25 mins long.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 01:43:34 PM by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #662 on: April 2, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »

I'm also a loyal listener. The absolute dread when you're in public and your headphone jack slips out at the chance someone would hear the objectively highly offensive material.

It's complete brain thrash, but I think that's required once a week. But no more!

If you like C Town try Chapo Trap House, they are all buddies and though the show is political they take similar ironic view on things.

Cum Town is brilliant, I always try to keep up to date with it. Funniest podcast out there by a mile. The chemistry between them is very natural, and Nick Mullen has the ability to create hilarious shit out of absolutely nothing so consistently. Hell of a comic. It's great that they can get away with such offensive content in the #MeToo/woke era. My earphones popped out at work while listening to it...definitely not one you want to share with the office..
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline CheshireDave

• Believer
« Reply #663 on: April 5, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
Listening to this at the moment - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttt6 - The Hurricane Tapes

Really interesting story about a professional boxer who was convicted of a triple murder in New Jersey in the 60's

Online BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #664 on: April 5, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »
Listening to this at the moment - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttt6 - The Hurricane Tapes

Really interesting story about a professional boxer who was convicted of a triple murder in New Jersey in the 60's

Decent film made about it with Denzel Washington and there’s a song about it by Bob Dylan too.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Believer
« Reply #665 on: April 8, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
WTF with Marc Maron might interest some people, it's a load of interviews with interesting people including Paul McCartney and Barack Obama. You may want to skip the first 10 mins of the McCartney interview as its just waffle.

Searching for that I came across WTF!!?? which is an American based discussion pod which is ok.

I can't get in to it but my mate raves about No Such Thing as a Fish which seems very popular as it's doing tours. It's in England and just a simple fact based discussion.

Anyone not listened to Conflicted should do so, it covers pretty much everything about the middle east.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #666 on: April 9, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
Anybody listen to the idiocy that is Angelos and Barry?
yes love it. The second series of Brian and Roger is also good.

Offline red_Mark1980

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • J.F.T.96
« Reply #667 on: April 25, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »

This is quite a listen. Up to date now and still not quite sure where I'm at with it

On a similar note

Root of Evil. It looks into the family of George Hodel. The man widely suspected as the Black Dahlia perp.

Bonkers

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #668 on: April 28, 2019, 11:47:30 AM »
Listening to the back catalogue of Rule of Three at the moment - a couple of comedy writers who have worked on the likes of Charlie Brooker and Philomena Cunk have comedians on as guests to talk about comedy they love, for example Nish Kumar talking about Darkplace and Charlie Brooker on Airplane. It's the perfect mix of analysing the gags and techniques and just doing quotes and descending into laughter.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #669 on: April 28, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
Only listen to boxing podcast as I get to would up listening to stuff about football. Can recommend TKO on Joe, Pound for Pound, Toe 2 Toe and 5 live Boxing.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Funk is the problem. And the solution.
« Reply #670 on: April 30, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »
I'm the worst millennial ever, barely even knew what a podcast was up until a few months ago and had never listened to a single second of one.

I've got quite a bit longer commute to work than I used to have so I quickly ran out of music to listen to. One of my Liverpool-supporting buddies was raving non-stop about the That Peter Crouch Podcast and I started it a few weeks ago and can't get enough. Absolutely hilarious and love the rare insight into the life of a Prem footballer.
“You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #671 on: April 30, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
This is quite a listen. Up to date now and still not quite sure where I'm at with it

On a similar note

Root of Evil. It looks into the family of George Hodel. The man widely suspected as the Black Dahlia perp.

Bonkers

Really couldn’t get into Paradise at all. Found it totally inferior to the one about the spy in Norway (the name totally evades me at the moment).

Offline CheshireDave

• Believer
« Reply #672 on: April 30, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
Really couldn’t get into Paradise at all. Found it totally inferior to the one about the spy in Norway (the name totally evades me at the moment).

I'd agree. Don't think there is much mystery about what happened in the Paradise story. Whereas there was with the Norway story.

Another good podcast is 'Darknet Diaries'. They cover some really interesting stories relating to hacking and other cyber crimes. It can get a little bit technical sometimes but interesting nevertheless.

Online Just Elmo?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #673 on: April 30, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
I'd agree. Don't think there is much mystery about what happened in the Paradise story. Whereas there was with the Norway story.

Another good podcast is 'Darknet Diaries'. They cover some really interesting stories relating to hacking and other cyber crimes. It can get a little bit technical sometimes but interesting nevertheless.

+1 for Darknet Diaries, though as someone in IT I presumably have a higher than average understanding of what they are talking about.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Believer
« Reply #674 on: May 2, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
Finished Blackout yesterday, the dystopian drama with Rami Malik.

Sets up nicely for season 2.

I recently finished Immunities, a Sci-Fi podcast that is also set up nicely for the next season.

Going to start a podcast called The Orphans, which is also a Sci-Fi drama.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Believer
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #675 on: May 4, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
Quick mention of Jon Ronson's 'Last days of August'. A follow up to the Butterfly Effect, and outlines the circumstances surrounding the suicide of a major porn star. Quite haunting, in many ways.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #676 on: May 4, 2019, 07:14:51 PM »
Listening to the back catalogue of Rule of Three at the moment - a couple of comedy writers who have worked on the likes of Charlie Brooker and Philomena Cunk have comedians on as guests to talk about comedy they love, for example Nish Kumar talking about Darkplace and Charlie Brooker on Airplane. It's the perfect mix of analysing the gags and techniques and just doing quotes and descending into laughter.

great that - cheers

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #677 on: May 5, 2019, 01:27:07 AM »

I am absolutely astonished that anyone can actually believe that Adnan is innocent. Read the transcripts. Then again, there are people who think O.J was innocent.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2019, 01:31:54 AM by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline red_Mark1980

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • J.F.T.96
« Reply #678 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:18 PM »
I am absolutely astonished that anyone can actually believe that Adnan is innocent. Read the transcripts. Then again, there are people who think O.J was innocent.

Hang on. You have no doubt whatsoever about his guilt? Nothing?

It's a heavy listen and it's literally just him, but John Barnes has one episode out.

He talks at length on racism and as a white, almost 40 year old man in a well paid job it's certainly thought provoking.

Offline red_Mark1980

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • J.F.T.96
« Reply #679 on: June 17, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
No, not the case.

He wrote all the books before they started the podcast.. good knows why though...

It’s as much about friendship as anything else.  People coming together to talk about something absurd...

Late to the party  on this. But it's absolutely unreal. Honestly, listening in work is hazardous