Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 130545 times)

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Kopite
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1440 on: June 13, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »
What is the best OJ Simpson documentary to watch? Preferably something with real footage of the events?

I have seen The People v OJ Simpson and read that book. Looking for something different if it exists!

Best documentary I saw was call OJ: Made in America. I think i saw it on Sky and not that long ago ...  maybe a year or so?  ... but itís not there anymore. It was very long, perhaps even in two parts from memory, but an excellent in depth look at his whole life and how he turned out as he did, so not just focusing on the murders and everything after that. Worth watching if you can find it

Offline just redk84 will do

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1441 on: June 14, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
Best documentary I saw was call OJ: Made in America. I think i saw it on Sky and not that long ago ...  maybe a year or so?  ... but itís not there anymore. It was very long, perhaps even in two parts from memory, but an excellent in depth look at his whole life and how he turned out as he did, so not just focusing on the murders and everything after that. Worth watching if you can find it

That's the one.
I think it was 4 parts in total....each over an hour

Worth it because it not only told the story of what happened in detail but the context of what America was like back then at the same time (in relation to the riots etc)

Still one of the best docs I've seen of this sort to date
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Believer
« Reply #1442 on: June 14, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
ESPN's OJ Simpson: Made in America is the definitive watch. It's 5x1 hour parts, rather than a 2 hour movie, and it still won an Oscar for best doc.

agree, brilliant doc that one
He's got a tattoo on his wrist that says "I hate blackie blackie blackie blacks, and I fucking love handballing it into the opponent's goal and away from my own goal, and biting people, and kicking young kids in the bollocks when they ask for autographs. And diving. I fucking love that."

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1443 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:31 AM »
I think you are all talking about the same documentary? :D

Just had a look on Sky and it is on BT Sport 2 tonight at 9pm - episode 2, episode 3 tomorrow night etc... so I have missed episode 1 but I am sure I can find that somewhere.

Thanks everyone!
JFT96.

Offline Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #1444 on: June 14, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »
Planets on BBC with Brian Cox has been excellent so far.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #1445 on: June 14, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Planets on BBC with Brian Cox has been excellent so far.

It's a *little* bit basic but beautiful to sit back and just soak up all the amazing imagery and CGI. Can't wait for the bluray.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #1446 on: June 14, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
Here's something I wanted to post about for a fortnight. It's one of the very best documentaries about sport, I've ever seen. SB Nation a Youtube channel that normally focuses on US sport does a series called 'chart party' where it takes very niche sporting data sets and makes the most compelling documentaries about them. They have just released their piece de resistance - "The Bob Emergency: A Study of Athletes named Bob". It might sound weird, and it is in a way, but it's also beautiful, funny, touching and massively compelling. It looks at the fact that people named Bob are dying out in sport - there's only 10 professional sportsmen in the world called Bob currently - this peaked in the fifties at nearly 1000. It looks at why they're dying out and also celebrates the greatest and worst Bobs, sport has ever seen.

I honestly can't recommend it enough:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lvh6NLqKRfs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lvh6NLqKRfs</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dcGamPqUIxI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dcGamPqUIxI</a>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:13:22 AM by Lfsea »

Offline Craig 🤔

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #1447 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
It's a *little* bit basic but beautiful to sit back and just soak up all the amazing imagery and CGI. Can't wait for the bluray.

Yeah, I totally get that but the way it is being done is visualising those basic things you probably know in a whole new way, at least I've never seen anything done as well as this anyway.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Believer
« Reply #1448 on: June 14, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
Yeah, I totally get that but the way it is being done is visualising those basic things you probably know in a whole new way, at least I've never seen anything done as well as this anyway.

Agreed and it can't be all things to all people - overcomplicate it and you lose probably 80+% of your audience. The Jupiter episode was a marvel.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1449 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
Here's something I wanted to post about for a fortnight. It's one of the very best documentaries about sport, I've ever seen. SB Nation a Youtube channel that normally focuses on US sport does a series called 'chart party' where it takes very niche sporting data sets and makes the most compelling documentaries about them.

Love those Jon Bois videos.  Still go back to his Pretty Good series - especially the one about Larry using helium balloons to fly his lawn chair into the LAX airport flight path.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E7w_v9J7iOc&amp;list=PLUXSZMIiUfFSCYW1o-4whWtepyVlsfuCC&amp;index=2" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E7w_v9J7iOc&amp;list=PLUXSZMIiUfFSCYW1o-4whWtepyVlsfuCC&amp;index=2</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1450 on: June 17, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
Last Breath on Netflix.

Not going to say anything about it but really worth a watch.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1451 on: June 18, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
Last Breath on Netflix.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was on the edge of my seat through that one.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Kopite
« Reply #1452 on: June 19, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »
I highly recommend the Ali documentary which is on Sky Atlantic right now, ĎWhatís my name: Muhammad Ali. Itís in 2 parts and probably the best Iíve seen about Ali.
Really insightful and, particularly towards the end, very moving.

Offline Agent99

• Believer
« Reply #1453 on: June 20, 2019, 03:26:59 PM »
Last Breath on Netflix.

Was really good. Top recommendation mate.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #1454 on: June 20, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
Last Breath on Netflix.

Saw this available on the flight home from holiday but didn't watch it

Defo gonna give it a go now though.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Believer
« Reply #1455 on: June 20, 2019, 05:30:37 PM »
I highly recommend the Ali documentary which is on Sky Atlantic right now, ĎWhatís my name: Muhammad Ali. Itís in 2 parts and probably the best Iíve seen about Ali.
Really insightful and, particularly towards the end, very moving.

Yeah this is class. Plenty of footage that I hadn't seen before and it actually remembers that he had fights in between Liston/Fraser/Foreman.. The 2nd part is pretty depressing though when they showed people forewarning him about his health if he carried on fighting.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1456 on: June 21, 2019, 12:00:02 AM »
Last Breath on Netflix.
And it was... Thanks  :wave
Also watched 'The Legend of Cocaine Island'  ;D  (A desperate man goes on a buried treasure hunt for $2 million worth of cocaine) .... it gets better as it goes on.
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline kaesarsosei

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1457 on: June 21, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
I probably missed discussion on this before, but I've watched the first 3 episodes of the Netflix Ted Bundy doc.

I have to admit to only knowing that Bundy was a famous serial killer but I didn't know the finer details of the case or his life. So to say my jaw dropped on at least 3 occasions at some of the stuff that was going on is an understatement. I mean, he was in the FBI's 10 most wanted list yet the Florida authorities had him in custody for several days without knowing who he was. That is absolutely mind-boggling. The strange thing is, when you look at some of the varied pictures of him, he DOES look completely different even without disguise gimmicks like glasses or facial hair. I don't want to get into his crimes but the detail of those compared to how he comes across on tape/video is unnerving. No question where Jonathan Demme got a lot of his inspiration from.

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #1458 on: Yesterday at 12:20:26 PM »
'When They See Us' on Netflix, 4 part mini series on 5 Young Lads failed by the american justice system in 1989 by racial profiling. I won't say too much as its one of those that everyone should watch it, its really hard emotionally to watch at times especially episodes 1, 2 and 4. The acting by the 5 kids portraying the young lads is amazing especially the young guy who plays both younger and older Korey Wise.

Also on Netflix after the episodes is an Oprah show with the actual 5 guys, worth a watch too and you can see the lasting damage this has done each of them.

The one quote from the Oprah show from one of the actual guys that has stuck with me was 'The justice system wasn't broken, it was built that way'

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:39:26 PM by tinman1 »
ďWell to be honest with you, Iíve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from heís not a proper fighter, is he? Heís basically a bit of a gay fighter as Iíve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline In Fowler We Trust

• Athens Airport Queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truth Justice
« Reply #1459 on: Yesterday at 04:55:15 PM »
'When They See Us' on Netflix, 4 part mini series on 5 Young Lads failed by the american justice system in 1989 by racial profiling. I won't say too much as its one of those that everyone should watch it, its really hard emotionally to watch at times especially episodes 1, 2 and 4. The acting by the 5 kids portraying the young lads is amazing especially the young guy who plays both younger and older Korey Wise.

Also on Netflix after the episodes is an Oprah show with the actual 5 guys, worth a watch too and you can see the lasting damage this has done each of them.

The one quote from the Oprah show from one of the actual guys that has stuck with me was 'The justice system wasn't broken, it was built that way'

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343064.0
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
ďWell to be honest with you, Iíve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from heís not a proper fighter, is he? Heís basically a bit of a gay fighter as Iíve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"