Author Topic: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!  (Read 2906785 times)

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Re: Shanklyboy's auld arse thread - Over 1000 Pages of Wisdom For Young Uns!
« Reply #42440 on: March 25, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
Sounds like a similar story to Wrexham that Phil.

When I was in the RAF one of my good mates and next door neighbour was a County fan.He'd go mental if you called them Nottingham County...

Offline Rick13

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42441 on: March 29, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
Another good Gordon Banks story regarding his one and only appearance in the League of Ireland :

https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-remembers-world-cup-winner-gordon-banks-league-ireland-390403

In the photo at the base of the article, does anyone know who is the guy in the middle separating Giles and Dunphy ?

"We believe there's never a cause that's lost" Bill Shankly

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #42442 on: March 29, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
Another good Gordon Banks story regarding his one and only appearance in the League of Ireland :

https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-remembers-world-cup-winner-gordon-banks-league-ireland-390403

In the photo at the base of the article, does anyone know who is the guy in the middle separating Giles and Dunphy ?

Not sure but i remember watching Dunphy playing for Millwall  a cultured footballer stood out in that club, Keith Weller also played for Millwall at this time.
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) is the principal organisation representing pensioners in the United Kingdom. It is made up of around 1,000 bodies representing 1.5 million members, organised into federal regional units.
The NPC was founded by former Transport and General Workers' Union trade union leader, Jack Jones in 1979

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Believer
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #42443 on: March 29, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »
I remember Keith Weller playing on the left wing for Chelsea in the 60's - speedy and useful he was too. Cannot remember what he looked like though. So no doubt you will have gathered I don't know who the fella in the middle is.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline So... Howard Phillips

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42444 on: March 29, 2019, 10:04:32 PM »
Moving away from the football related content I posted off my biennial bowel cancer sample screening kit today.

One of the joys of being over 60 but one of the strengths of the NHS.

And for you approaching 60 something to look forward to.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Believer
« Reply #42445 on: March 29, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »

A bit of a guess but is it Gordon Hill?

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Believer
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #42446 on: March 29, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
I remember Keith Weller playing on the left wing for Chelsea in the 60's - speedy and useful he was too.
He was the only player I can remember playing in white tights on a freezing day, when he was with Leicester. John Barnes, of course, played in black ones. Whatever happened to that habit..?

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Believer
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #42447 on: March 29, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »
It's  Ray Treacy.

(No, I won't be going on Mastermind to answer questions on Shamrock Rovers.  I just know how to Google.....).

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42448 on: March 30, 2019, 07:49:03 AM »
Moving away from the football related content I posted off my biennial bowel cancer sample screening kit today.

One of the joys of being over 60 but one of the strengths of the NHS.

And for you approaching 60 something to look forward to.
They do it from 50 off here in Belgium.

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42449 on: March 30, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »
They do it from 50 off here in Belgium.

So you can learn to juggle turds whilst you still have some dexterity unlike here where they wait until you hands start to stiffen up with messy consequences.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42450 on: March 30, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
So you can learn to juggle turds whilst you still have some dexterity unlike here where they wait until you hands start to stiffen up with messy consequences.

I'm 7 and a half years away from that, you have just given me something to look forward to....

Offline vivabobbycurmudgeongraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #42451 on: March 30, 2019, 08:41:03 AM »
Not sure if any of you like Indian Films but just watched 'Taara Zameen Par' on netflix and what a brilliant film it is.

Was there a scouser in it?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Rick13

• Kemlynite
« Reply #42452 on: March 30, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
It's  Ray Treacy.

(No, I won't be going on Mastermind to answer questions on Shamrock Rovers.  I just know how to Google.....).

Thanks guys. Didn't have a clue who it was when I first viewed the photo but Ray Treacy is correct .

Giles, Dunphy and Treacy all played for Shamrock Rovers in the League of Ireland in the late 70's after their return from England. After his playing days were over Treacy went into the Travel business and Giles and Dunphy carved out a very long career as pundits on an Irish version of Match of the Day.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #42453 on: March 30, 2019, 11:30:05 PM »
He was the only player I can remember playing in white tights on a freezing day, when he was with Leicester. John Barnes, of course, played in black ones. Whatever happened to that habit..?
Remember the tights, but can't remember him in a habit.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline Rick13

• Kemlynite
« Reply #42454 on: March 31, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Just read this article in the Guardian this morning; hadn't heard the John Terry story before.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/30/football-double-jeopardy-racism-cases-fernando-forestieri

It is coming up for seven years now since John Terry found himself in the dock of Westminster magistrates court on charges of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand and, though I could never say sitting through that week-long trial was a particularly fulfilling experience, there is one memory that offers some light relief amid all the other numbing details.

It goes back to the penultimate day, when Terry was being taken through some of the evidence related to his exchange of words with Ferdinand, then of QPR, and having to repeat some of it for the benefit of the court. Terry was obediently following the instructions, albeit not looking absolutely sure what purpose it served, until he was asked to let the court know the number of times he had been sent off throughout his Chelsea career.

“Can you say – please – four times?” asked his QC, George Carter-Stephenson. At which point Terry nodded again. “Please … please … please … please.” And even now, all these years on, I am still not absolutely sure he understood why the courtroom was filled with awkward laughter.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42455 on: April 1, 2019, 08:46:53 AM »

Very droll indeed Doc. Well-a...Well-a.....Well-a thought he might have had at least one bad habit. D'yer never notice he had a very clean nose . . . . .
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Believer
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #42456 on: April 1, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
Very droll indeed Doc. Well-a...Well-a.....Well-a thought he might have had at least one bad habit. D'yer never notice he had a very clean nose . . . . .
I think you're confusing him with Allan Clarke.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42457 on: April 2, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »

I think you're confusing him with Allan Clarke.

Of the Hollies??  ::) ::) (I absolutely refuse to mention the Damned United) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBj_qAJtRA

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42458 on: April 2, 2019, 03:54:49 PM »

Of the Hollies??  ::) ::) (I absolutely refuse to mention the Damned United) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBj_qAJtRA

And Leeds' cultured fans could be visiting a ground near you next season.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42459 on: April 2, 2019, 04:35:39 PM »

Oh joy abounding . . . . And you too!!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42460 on: April 2, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »

" Who Let the Dogs Out ? "
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) is the principal organisation representing pensioners in the United Kingdom. It is made up of around 1,000 bodies representing 1.5 million members, organised into federal regional units.
The NPC was founded by former Transport and General Workers' Union trade union leader, Jack Jones in 1979

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42461 on: April 2, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
" Who Let the Dogs Out ? "

Why does that conjure up the thought of a Yorkshire Terrier humping a passerby's leg?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42462 on: April 2, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
Why does that conjure up the thought of a Yorkshire Terrier humping a passerby's leg?

Well your turn ons are your own business. :D

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42463 on: April 2, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »

Not anymore they're not. . . . :-X :-X

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42464 on: April 2, 2019, 10:38:41 PM »

I hope this exchange doesn't lead to an unsolicited username change on the lines of "Randy Yorkie Terrier " or some other such nonsense.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #42465 on: April 3, 2019, 06:10:46 AM »
Ah ... Go to Bootle will ya . It meant shut up or fuck off.

One that me Nan Dixon always used .

I've always thought about it's origins. My Dah's side are South Enders and ended up in Childwall Valley. I do remember me Nan saying because Bootle is up in the North End and it's so far away hence the fuck off bit. I always thought it was about Bootle getting bombed to fuck during the war.

I reckon me Nan knows more than me though.

There's a thread for this stuff by the way.

Just catching up, here, Kes. I think that expression ....used frequently by my own Nan....comes from the fact that the main Catholic cemetery, the Ford Cemetery, was in Bootle. In effect, she was saying ‘drop dead’, or ‘go to hell’. That’s always been my take on it, anyway.

Brought a smile to me face, there, thinking about my aul Nan. God bless her, now buried in Ford cemetery herself.
Victorious and glorious....

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42466 on: April 3, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
Just catching up, here, Kes. I think that expression ....used frequently by my own Nan....comes from the fact that the main Catholic cemetery, the Ford Cemetery, was in Bootle. In effect, she was saying ‘drop dead’, or ‘go to hell’. That’s always been my take on it, anyway.

Brought a smile to me face, there, thinking about my aul Nan. God bless her, now buried in Ford cemetery herself.

My family were Southenders and had this little rhyme about Bootle;

"Bootle, were the bugs wear clogs
And the kids play tick with hatchets."

They could easily afford to sneer at the North End from the family mansion in Granby Street. :D

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #42467 on: April 12, 2019, 08:22:31 PM »

He went to Leicester from Millwall. Millwall had a decent team for a while then including a decent CB called Barry Kitchener and a fans favourite slightly dodgy WB called Harry Cripps .

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42468 on: April 23, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
^ BUMP!!

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #42469 on: April 26, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
I have to confess I was touched by his family's tribute given at Tommy Smith's funeral, yesterday. As quoted in the Liverpool Echo:

“So I want you to hear this:

You may lose your football skills.

And live with metal knees and pills.

And forget the roar of the Kop, the thrills.

But you never lost my love.

You may lose your confidence

Your rugged looks and elegance.

Your power to think and eloquence.

But you’ll never lose my love.

You may lose your memory

And forget your own identity

And your room be full of mystery.

You may have had to be spoon fed

Lying in a nursing bed.

Not understanding what I said

You have felt all alone

Sitting in a nursing home

You always had and you never will, ever, lose my love.

Your family loved you, Tommy, a great deal.

The fans loved you a great deal.

The battle is over.

Rest in peace."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-smith-funeral-liverpool-legend-16180504

Tommy was as 'Liverpudlian' as they come. A great player, but one of us. He played judge, jury & executioner on the field, he couldn't abide cheats.  There's a video doing the rounds right now of him 'taking out' Allan Clarke of Leeds. Now, Allan was a great player, but could be a snide, he liked to leave his studs down the back of your leg. Tommy meted justice out to him & his ilk, no messing, and the crowd loved him all the more for it.

I don't know if Leo comes on to these pages any more, I haven't seen much of him since he got sick. I think he had his 'run ins' with Tommy, but I think they were both sides of the same coin, both proper Liverpudlians.

Anyway, back to the family's eulogy, it really touched me. Behind the fame was an ordinary lad who face the same struggles as the rest of us. But you were loved, Tommy, of that you can be sure. RIP

Victorious and glorious....

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Believer
« Reply #42470 on: April 26, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
I have to confess I was touched by his family's tribute given at Tommy Smith's funeral, yesterday. As quoted in the Liverpool Echo:

“So I want you to hear this:

You may lose your football skills.

And live with metal knees and pills.

And forget the roar of the Kop, the thrills.

You may lose your confidence

Your rugged looks and elegance.

Your power to think and eloquence.

But you’ll never lose my love.

You may lose your memory

And forget your own identity

And your room be full of mystery.

You may have had to be spoon fed

Lying in a nursing bed.

Not understanding what I said

You have felt all alone

Sitting in a nursing home

You always had and you never will, ever, lose my love.

Your family loved you, Tommy, a great deal.

The fans loved you a great deal.

The battle is over.

Rest in peace."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-smith-funeral-liverpool-legend-16180504

Tommy was as 'Liverpudlian' as they come. A great player, but one of us. He played judge, jury & executioner on the field, he couldn't abide cheats.  There's a video doing the rounds right now of him 'taking out' Allan Clarke of Leeds. Now, Allan was a great player, but could be a snide, he liked to leave his studs down the back of your leg. Tommy meted justice out to him & his ilk, no messing, and the crowd loved him all the more for it.

I don't know if Leo comes on to these pages any more, I haven't seen much of him since he got sick. I think he had his 'run ins' with Tommy, but I think they were both sides of the same coin, both proper Liverpudlians.

Anyway, back to the family's eulogy, it really touched me. Behind the fame was an ordinary lad who face the same struggles as the rest of us. But you were loved, Tommy, of that you can be sure. RIP

Honest and straight from the heart. Nuff said

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse "Ridiculously cool" -TAW-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Justice for Neda
« Reply #42471 on: April 26, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »
My family were Southenders and had this little rhyme about Bootle;

"Bootle, were the bugs wear clogs
And the kids play tick with hatchets."

They could easily afford to sneer at the North End from the family mansion in Granby Street. :D

"Brutal Bootle, where the bugs wear clogs" was ours.  We lived round the corner from the Phil.
Entitlement: the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
« Reply #42472 on: April 26, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
"Brutal Bootle, where the bugs wear clogs" was ours.  We lived round the corner from the Phil.

Yes!

Just realised I missed off the Brutal.

I'm sure they had equally derogatory ditties about the South End.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
The last few months have been a nightmare,
Massive Vertigo attacks that were diagnosed as Meneire's Disease which is nasty and permanent, however after eventually seeing a Neurology consultant and after some tests last monday I was told i dont have that disease i had a Virus which has similar symptoms but only last for 6-8 weeks and i am clear now.

Told me i could drive and get back to work and also stop taking the meds straight away.

Can't tell you how happy i am about getting my life back now.

• Penile Toupé Extender
  • Believer
The last few months have been a nightmare,
Massive Vertigo attacks that were diagnosed as Meneire's Disease which is nasty and permanent, however after eventually seeing a Neurology consultant and after some tests last monday I was told i dont have that disease i had a Virus which has similar symptoms but only last for 6-8 weeks and i am clear now.

Told me i could drive and get back to work and also stop taking the meds straight away.

Can't tell you how happy i am about getting my life back now.

Was it labyrinthitis?

Very nasty but does wear off. I picked up an ear virus in Italy a couple of years ago which was no fun but that cleared up after a month or two.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Great news Phil. Just a shame you have to go back to work though...

Oh yea and how did the naked gardening go? :P

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Was it labyrinthitis?

Very nasty but does wear off. I picked up an ear virus in Italy a couple of years ago which was no fun but that cleared up after a month or two.

yes it was thank goodness.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
Great news Phil. Just a shame you have to go back to work though...

Oh yea and how did the naked gardening go? :P

Thanks.
The world will have to wait for that sight in my allotment ,

retiring in July though so not back for long.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer

As you know I've been on early retirement for a couple of years.

My ideal job became available a couple of weeks ago so I applied.

Got an interview in two weeks...

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite

Hi folks
I'm retiring in 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it.
Work is really interfering with my life, just pure stress. Lots of things lined up, at last time for them.
Keep well everyone.